Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

DelphiDoom 1.1.3 build 492 (beta)

A new version of DelphiDoom (1.1.3 build 492 - beta) has been released.

Most notable new features since the last official release are:

-Support for MD2 external models.
-Dynamic lightmaps
-New simplified blocklinks handling mechanism
-Better sync during demo playback
-Transparency in 8 bit color software mode

Complete channge log inside the "src/Doom_what's new.txt" file inside the archive.

Download link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/delphidoom/files/Source%20Code%20Snapshots/

Screenshot using DHTP and external md2 models:

Playing around with the source code I came up with a stand alone - one level demo which demonstrates some of the possible future engine capabilities:
Download link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/delphidoom/files/Games_Based_On_DelphiDoom/Dragon_PGDmC%28post_competition%29.rar/download

Screenshot:

It doesn't look like Doom, but besides the Geomipmapping it's just a custom Doom level with custom defined enemies demostrating some of the engine's editing capabilities regarding custom mobj definitions. Known issues of this demo include some sound bugs.

entryway said:

Vertical sensitivity is very high for me. Higher than horizontal.

This should happen to the OpenGL version because the look up/down limits are extended compared to the software version.

The 2 renderers (software and OpenGL) interpret in different ways the viewplayer->lookdir. Mouse movement changes the viewplayer->lookdir the same way in both versions but the OpenGL version rotates the view more. The software renderer can not rotate the up/down view as much as the OpenGL version because of the zaxistshift limitation.

Why so slow, even in software renderer mode?

Code's or compiler's executable fault?

Hand X said:

Why so slow, even in software renderer mode?

Code's or compiler's executable fault?

Can you provide some information about the system you run it and which wads did you use?

You must have in mind the DelphiDoom's software renderer uses by default 32 bit color depth (not 8 bit color palette), you can press F5 to switch between different detail levels (there are 6 detail levels, 3 for 8 bit color and 3 for 32 bit color).

One think that can dramatically kill performance in certain screen resolutions is the "fixstallhack" variable, make sure is set to TRUE (default). This fixes some problems with memory stall ussues (more info about memory stalls at http://books.google.gr/books?id=zGaIxUudIe0C&pg=PA507&lpg=PA507&dq=memory+stall+issues&source=bl&ots=NJ2-xeFC6f&sig=CClA7UcRPq_b-OrXc2UUAXIIPuI&hl=el&ei=r_kwTqXPAcvIswahoNWjCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CGcQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=memory%20stall%20issues&f=false)

You can also tweek DelphiDoom performance in many ways, you can find usefull information about performance in software rendering mode in the following link:
http://delphidoom.sitesled.com/documentation/performance.html

Also make sure that you have not changed any of the default settings in the system configuration menu: Press ~ to bring down the console and type "menu_system". The system configuration menu appears with the following options:

-"Safe Mode" (default is NO)
-"Use MMX/AMD 3D Now" (default is YES)
-"Time Critical CPU priority" (default is NO)
-"Multithreading functions" (default is NO)

The above settings should be changed only for debugging.

Some tests I've make regarding performance:

SOFTWARE MODE
=============

640x400x32 bit software mode in normal resolution - 32 bit color:
-----------------------------
CPU P4 3GHz: ~100 fps

800x600x32 bit software mode in normal resolution - 32 bit color:
-----------------------------
CPU P4 3GHz: ~60 fps

OPENGL MODE
===========

640x480x32 bit opengl mode (with DHTP and md2 models):
------------------------------------------------------
CPU mobile AMD Sempron 1.8GHz - Ati Mobility X700: ~85 fps

1280x1024x32 bit opengl mode
CPU P4 3GHz - NVidia MX4000: ~100 fps

1366x768x32 bit opengl mode (with DHTP and md2 models):
CPU mobile Core i5 2.6GHz - NVidia 540M: ~350 fps
CPU mobile Core i5 2.6GHz - Intel HD: ~120 fps

Also in you have low fps (below 40fps) you should disable interpolation and use the default 35Hz TICRATE (To disable interpolation press ~ to bring down the console and type "interpolate false)

Thanks, fixed, I just left the MMX/AMD 3D Now! thingy and fullscreen ticked and all the rest unticked in 640x480 on medium detail level. 30-35 FPS. Too bad Free Doom doesn't work. But hey! I liked the random monsters thing!

Specs:

Processor: Pentium 4 1.60ghz
Memory: 1GB RAM DDR1 400mhz
Video (onboard): S3 ProSavageDDR

Bug report (not really severe):

DelphiDoom 1.1.3.496 tells the iwad is modified, even with the correct hash (tested with ultimate doom, doom 2 1.9, tnt and plutonia).

Hand X said:

Thanks, fixed, I just left the MMX/AMD 3D Now! thingy and fullscreen ticked and all the rest unticked in 640x480 on medium detail level. 30-35 FPS. Too bad Free Doom doesn't work. But hey! I liked the random monsters thing!

Specs:

Processor: Pentium 4 1.60ghz
Memory: 1GB RAM DDR1 400mhz
Video (onboard): S3 ProSavageDDR

Bug report (not really severe):

DelphiDoom 1.1.3.496 tells the iwad is modified, even with the correct hash (tested with ultimate doom, doom 2 1.9, tnt and plutonia).

Glad you make it work! If you use mouse freelook you can also gain about 10%-20% performance boost in software mode if you disable the pseudo-3D correction, type "~" to bring down the console and type "fake3d false" to disable it. You will still be able to use mouse-freelook, but the renderer will use the simple z-axisshift method to render the view.

FreeDoom is a Boom IWAD, DelphiDoom supports many Boom features but unfortunately not all.

The "modified game" warning is not actually a bug, every time you start DelphiDoom, parses the Doom.cmd file (in bin/Doom directory) and appends all the command-line parameters found inside (like response files in Original Doom). I have added in Doom.cmd file the appropriate commands to autoload an external pk3 file with the md2 models data for the OpenGL version, that's why the modified game warning. The only difference between versions 1.1.3.492 and 1.1.3.496 is that the newest version renders simple shadows for mobjs in OpenGL mode (still experimental)