Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spazman

Help keep the Jokewad Cacoward alive!

I've heard about the latest thing about the Cacowards for this year coming up. But I was shocked to see that they want to get rid of the Cacoward for best Jokewad!

Ain't that about a biznitch?

Anyway, I like Doom. And i like good humor. That's why I propose we try to keep the Jokewad alive!

I've had this idea for a while, perhaps longer than the DoomRPG idea.
I was thinking about making a jokewad called: Bad Case of the Munchies.
And I want this to be a serious project. To inspire others to make jokewads again.

I don't want none of the bad-map design things like previous JWs.
If there's anyone who could possibly help me with the mapping and stuff, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I want to keep the mis-spelled words in there, however,I want some real humor and witty dialogue behind it. None of this seven-year-old misspelling BS.

If you could lend an open ear and an open passageway for ideas, i'm listening loud and clear.

JokeWADs are always mighty difficult to judge, even if several are released in a year. They're (nearly) all made to be deliberately bad, so marking one as the "best" of the year is a bit like trying to decide which pop/RnB singer you most want to punch.

Eh, you got a point there.

Well, I guess i should make myself clearer then.
I'm talking about a jokewad that has witty humor, and stuff out of place where you wouldn't normally find it. With good architecture, but
nothing being fully serious. say, a kroger in the middle of a forest?

But seriously. We need some good humor and jokes to come into play in this new jokewad. I've looked at a lot of jokewads, but most of them have really dry humor and dialogue.

my kind of humor would be:

making a parody of the opening scene of Cold as Hell, and while you're in the plane, make a text-based version of Ron White's Drunk in a Plane Crash. It'd fit the scene good, and have good comedic humor to go along with it.

That's how a good jokewad is supposed to be right?

i like good humor. That's why I propose we try to keep the Jokewad alive!

Does not compute.

There's a fair amount of good humour in some Doom mods, but none in jokewads. These wads are the Doom equivalent of stand-up comedians doing actuality, politic or sex jokes. Cheap stuff, and a good way to mask lack of talent.

Example of good joke wads.
CIF series
DW Forums series
DO IT

People should stop copying off of Mockery and make joke wads that have actual jokes.

kristus said:

People should stop copying off of Mockery and make joke wads that have actual jokes.

This. Intentionally bad maps are not funny any more, if they ever were, and the only jokewads I like are ones where it's obvious that a lot of effort went into them, so that the humor is more than just "lol, I made a giant irregular bunch of rooms with HOM walls and 100000 megaspheres and cyberdemons" or whatever. I would also include It Only Gets Worse in that category.

kristus said:

most of the humanity is bad at humor and a large part of those people doesn't even realize it, so putting jokes into doom maps might be a bit too much of a challenge.
when people get a funny idea, they shouldn't set out to create a whole comedy megawad, because they'll bleed their idea pretty soon and the rest will be strained and boring. better make another whispers of startan than mock3.

so, by the way i see it from these posts, if there's no jokewad that stands out above others as far as good detail, dumor, etc. then they're pretty much getting rid of the mockaward for a good reason?

I guess i can see where y'all are getting at. I was proposing the idea to see if it was even worth it anymore now that the mockaward's being done with.

I toyed with the idea of a joke wad. Inept Invasion was going to be probably just one map with "hilariously" incompetent monsters.

Monsters would be placed behind barrells, on teleporters, underneath crushers, in prime in-fighting positions and other unlikely scenarios.

The idea was to indirectly kill as many monsters as possible. I never got it off the ground as I was too short on amusing setups.

kristus said:

Example of good joke wads.
CIF series

Wait, there was a 1 and 2?

purist said:

I toyed with the idea of a joke wad. Inept Invasion was going to be probably just one map with "hilariously" incompetent monsters.

Monsters would be placed behind barrells, on teleporters, underneath crushers, in prime in-fighting positions and other unlikely scenarios.

The idea was to indirectly kill as many monsters as possible. I never got it off the ground as I was too short on amusing setups.

heh, that sounds cool actually

I'd love to do a jokewad in the CIF style, probably based off the GZDoom/Skulltag drama from last year (among other things). Problem is, it took Kaiser THREE YEARS to make CIF3, and that's after all of the time he saved by ripping stuff.

And that's the issue - quality jokewads are arguably MORE work than regular projects. They tend to rely heavily on advanced features and are nearly always for ZDoom as a consequence. If you've ever had a look at CIF3's source code, it's a barely-comprehensible mess. Any reasonably ambitious jokewad project that is embarked upon now has no chance of being completed in time for this year's Cacowards.

scalliano said:

I'd love to do a jokewad in the CIF style, probably based off the GZDoom/Skulltag drama from last year (among other things). Problem is, it took Kaiser THREE YEARS to make CIF3, and that's after all of the time he saved by ripping stuff.

I've tried so hard to do something similar to this. My ambitions were too high from the get-go, though, and even after I got a bunch of resources together and starting working on a proof-of-concept/tech demo kind of thing, I found my motivation to actually start utilizing it had practically vanished. :(

Best to stick with the small stuff, in my opinion.

Before anyone thinks it, no, there won't be a TcA Three.

Anyhow, I'd briefly discussed it with Hobbs John Smith a while back, and the consensus was more or less that the Mockaward will be lain to rest unless a significant number of worthy mock-wads show up as candidates. If there's no real competition, then there's no real point.

No biggie -- it's always been a niche market, and the niche appears to be shrinking.

keep the cacoward for best joke wad, make a voting system and add some one as jury, let him see over the votes, and then he/she decides if the voters are trolling or if they actually vote for something kinda funny/abnormall stupid. if the jury is the troll, denie his/her post and replace him/her with someone who prove to do better/(more fair) judgement. it requires competent personell.

just a quick made suggestion

I don't think the judging system was ever in question. From what I've read it's the lack of worthy nominees that's putting the Jokeward Cacoward at risk.

To tell the truth, I don't think there is any 'unworthy'. I think ppl should just vote to their liking. like just say if it was funny or not. Have a poll on another thread on this page. Sounds good.