Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Bit of trick to that final room, move back into the alcove with the switch just enough to open the monster closets to your front and left side but not to the end as to lock the room exits, you can then flee and take them on around the corner.

Handy tip, but personally, I just let the doors lock and keep shooting until everything's dead. More action for me.

DuckReconMajor said:

When I attempt Episode 1 on UV, I quite often die at the end of E1M6.

Keep the Chaingun fully loaded (easy to get it to 400 bullets), then in that penultimate room, just run into the switch alcove, hit the switch (so that everything is released at once), turn around, and don't stop firing that Chaingun. The inevitable infighting will do a fair amount of work for you too.

Works every time.

(For best results, don't shoot the barrels before this moment. They come in handy for Demons/Spectres, and blowing away any closing Shotgun Guys. There'll also be a couple of strays refusing to wake up, but mopping them up is easy.)

If I'm being incredibly slack with my savegames and manage to misfire a rocket, I'll sometimes use ZDoom's "Resurrect" to pretend it never happened.

NiuHaka said:

-I hate, HATE, any Doom that is not Doom or Doom II.

-Most pwads make me writhe in agony.

-I generally do not like pwads with custom sprites or textures... Extremely hypocritical, I know.

-I don't like the super shotgun... even though I use it more than any other weapon.

-I never use the plasma rifle unless i'm forced into it... even though I love it.

-One time, I thought Dungeon Master 2 was a better game than Doom... and sometimes I still do. *Flinches in anticipation of incoming blow*

I probably play Puyo Puyo or Halo more than Doom these days.

sheeple said:

I probably play Puyo Puyo or Halo more than Doom these days.

Yeesh! Why'd you have to go and dig that up. Now I feel the urge to admit that I was just playing Legend of Grimrock (which is a new flashy rip off of Dungeon Master 2) instead of working on my mods. Apologies to those few people who are interested in Ascension.

Cyanosis said:

2002ADO has the most confusing secrets I've ever had the misfortune of trying to find. I honestly think something is wrong in that WAD.

how the fuck are you even supposed to get to the secret exit in E1M3, anyway? i've looked around everywhere for triggable lines, switches, wall-humping, etc., and nothing. i know where the supposed elevator for the exit is located, but how to trigger it is a mystery. and the BFG 9000 secret in E1M9 perplexes me, as well.

Doomhuntress said:

how the fuck are you even supposed to get to the secret exit in E1M3, anyway? i've looked around everywhere for triggable lines, switches, wall-humping, etc., and nothing. i know where the supposed elevator for the exit is located, but how to trigger it is a mystery. and the BFG 9000 secret in E1M9 perplexes me, as well.

After the blue key door, go throught the nukage area and enter the next door, go left and follow the corridor which bends round itself. The final u-bend before the switch (on the pillar), on the inside there is a secret which contains a backpack and a switch. Hit that and return the way you came. To where the elevator is.
I had to cheat to find it the first time so you are not alone :P

Cyanosis said:

I cheated three times on Eternal Doom via noclip on the last third set of levels in the game, one was a bullshit combination math puzzle with raising/lowering platforms via switches to get past...

Not bullshit at all;

Spoiler

the right combination is shown on the desk in the security-protected office after a while. It's very easy to find if you just look at the automap.

This thread is yet another reminder to never play Eternal Doom.

No, I did try it once, didn't get past the first level. I'll probably give it another shot someday.

DuckReconMajor said:

This thread is yet another reminder to never play Eternal Doom.

...I'll probably give it another shot someday.

I like this statement. It is all sorts of crazy.

Over the years, roughly 90% of my time in Doom has been spent playing and re-playing the default Ultimate Doom episodes. The only reason I started reading up on the Doom community is because I heard about DTWID on reddit, and thought, if ever there was a map pack I could get into, that was it.

Also, sometimes I run by health and armour bonuses.

Janizdreg said:
[trunc'd]
http://www.kolumbus.fi/janiz/doom/pics/Doom2_M01_trick.png

And enjoy it immensely each time.

Oh wow. I can't believe that it never occurred to me to get the rocket launcher before going into this room.

I hate pistol starting.

I have tried to be a pistol starter and have even done Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 in pistol starts only. And it was awesome, the levels were so different! So being inspired by this I tried to play EVERYTHING with pistol starts... What a mistake...

I started to notice that constantly cheating after each exit is ANNOYING. And after cheating I must solve yet another annoying "get-the-shotgun-ASAP" puzzle. Combined, this makes me want to avoid exiting levels :/.

I started to hate megawads because they are not continious anymore, they're just packs of disconnected levels. And if the levels are actually connected (like in Equinox, for example), pistol starting feels ridiculous. Why the f*** do I lose all weapons every level? Just because of stupid pistol starting. Also, the "episode map" on intermission in IWADs makes no sense anymore with pistol starts.

Some maps are crap when played with pistol start. One of the "best" examples is Heretic. You constantly have not enough ammo untill you get the crossbow or hellstaff so you can finally use those 40 arrows and 200 runes. The ammo is ABSOLUTELY RANDOMLY scattered around the level.

And these competition megawads which explicitly ask you to pistol start. I do it then I stumble upon a very hard map. Maybe the author designed it not for pistol start, maybe it is just plain too hard. Or maybe it is one of late maps from 10 sectors, where the author has decided that secret count is WAY more important than gameplay, so without really well hidden secrets you just run with shotgun and ZERO AMMO with HORDES of monsters EVERYWHERE.

---------------------
SCREW IT

Now I don't need to constantly cheat.
Now I don't need to search for that f***ing shotgun 9000th time.
Now megawads are actually continious and not just disconnected mappacks.
Now I am not sensitive to bad ammo balance/ridiculous difficulty in some random maps through the megawad.
Now "episode map" intermissions actually work.
Now I can play through the whole wad without any unneeded interruptions.
Now it is not annoying to play Doom...

Still, some levels are fun from pistol starts. Especially the nonlinear levels in Doom and Doom 2. And sometimes I play a level in a megawad and it is more fun from pistol start. And true difficulty can only be feeled from pistol starts. Otherwise, Ultra-Violence is between "too easy" and "harder than medium"...

I just play wads as they are. If there's a death exit, I automatically pistol start the next map.

Gotta describe why I hate "classic" ports later... It was so fun to write this post even though no one cares.

I confess to being a veteran of Doom itself, but an absolute newbie when it comes to the mechanics and culture surrounding it.

To wit: I never heard about 'pistol starts' being a thing until I joined this board. It always struck me as odd that upon death, doomguy would be sent to the start without any of his weapons, like, who the Hell would want to play like that? So I just treated death as a game over, or quickload situation (I was also blissfully unaware of the term 'savescum').

I've since learned to be properly ashamed of myself for these sins.

I love pistol starts. I can only play a megawad or mapset one time with everything I picked up lasting the entire game. I just feel over-powered.

Another confession on the side, whenever I play Zdoom or Skulltag, I must play with a decorate text file that gives the demons/spectres some range to their bite. I feel they were severely underpowered in the normal Doom.

Platinum Shell said:

Another confession on the side, whenever I play Zdoom or Skulltag, I must play with a decorate text file that gives the demons/spectres some range to their bite. I feel they were severely underpowered in the normal Doom.

I made a BEX patch that gives the Pain elemental a melee attack for this reason.

eiUACei said:

I started to hate megawads because they are not continious anymore, they're just packs of disconnected levels.

You, sir, are spitting wisdom and truth!

I hate so called "classic" ports and vanilla doom. They can't do a thing properly.

First of all, I don't want to play a totally bug-ridden game. And these oh-so-classic ports don't provide any fixes for what is actually noticeable.

I don't want to miss a shot or to be unable to melee fat monsters just because of stupid blockmap optimization in vanilla doom that should have been officially fixed.
I don't want to be unable to kill chaingunners on different height just becase there is no freeaim AND AUTOAIM IS STUPID. It simply doesn't work beyond some small distance while monsters are lucky because they have freeaim! And no, infinite explosion height is NOT a solution.
Because it is just another bug/stupid behavior. I hate getting down into pits because there is 50% chance that I will get stuck into infinitely tall monster AND GET TORN APART WHILE IN AIR! No, infinite explosion height is still not a solution.

I don't want to play in a crappy software renderer that uses quarter-assed prescision for calculations and as a result gets two-sided lines to curve when I am standing on them. And no, playing in 320x200 is NOT a solution.
And no, in case of "classic" ports OpenGL renderer has not enough benefits to outweight the lack of atmosphere. True perspective freelook is almost useless without freeaim. There are no dynamic lights to make levels more beautiful, etc... And what's the point of "classic" dooming without software renderer's atmosphere?

Don't remember more because I have been playing only GZDoom for too long.

mark55 said:

I use total 3D mouselook and a crosshair.

And I like it :o

Same. Doom ports make it actually comfortable to play Doom.

EDIT: really want to point out...

Memfis said:

Heh, I got so used to bugged blockmap that it's hard for me to play without it. I mean, wow, hitscanners become so much stronger! They really annoy me in ZDoom.

There is a compatibility option Use Doom code for hitscan checks in ZDoom that puts back the blockmap bug (at least for hitscans). So you can turn it on to make ZDoom gameplay less annoying.

eiUACei said:

I hate so called "classic" ports and vanilla doom. They can't do a thing properly.

First of all, I don't want to play a totally bug-ridden game. And these oh-so-classic ports don't provide any fixes for what is actually noticeable.

I don't want to miss a shot or to be unable to melee fat monsters just because of stupid blockmap optimization in vanilla doom that should have been officially fixed.
I don't want to be unable to kill chaingunners on different height just becase there is no freeaim AND AUTOAIM IS STUPID. It simply doesn't work beyond some small distance while monsters are lucky because they have freeaim! And no, infinite explosion height is NOT a solution.
Because it is just another bug/stupid behavior. I hate getting down into pits because there is 50% chance that I will get stuck into infinitely tall monster AND GET TORN APART WHILE IN AIR! No, infinite explosion height is still not a solution.

I don't want to play in a crappy software renderer that uses quarter-assed prescision for calculations and as a result gets two-sided lines to curve when I am standing on them. And no, playing in 320x200 is NOT a solution.
And no, in case of "classic" ports OpenGL renderer has not enough benefits to outweight the lack of atmosphere. True perspective freelook is almost useless without freeaim. There are no dynamic lights to make levels more beautiful, etc... And what's the point of "classic" dooming without software renderer's atmosphere?

You, dear sir, suck.

edit: guess I should add a smiley ;D ;D

No, he doesn't suck, he has an opinion and reasonable arguments.

Heh, I got so used to bugged blockmap that it's hard for me to play without it. I mean, wow, hitscanners become so much stronger! They really annoy me in ZDoom.
I don't like mouselook either. It makes the basics of gameplay much more complicated than I want them to be.

Yeah, even as a GlBoom+ and Boom compatibility fan I can relate to many of his points, if not to the same extent. If it wasn't for other issues that are more important to me, I would use nothing but GZDoom.

I like all those faults and errors and bugs and whatnot. Especially the limited range on auto aim, thats a nice one! :)

I agree with eiUACei for the most part, however some people like these bugs because

a) nostalgia
b) the gameplay is built around these things

I get into moods where I want gameplay to follow classic Doom rules. Then I get tired of it and go to more advanced ports. Then it repeats.

The one thing that bugs me about GZDoom though is the lighting. Even on "Dark" it's still not dark enough.

It might be because of my graphics card, but I can't exactly go buy a new one.

DuckReconMajor said:

The one thing that bugs me about GZDoom though is the lighting. Even on "Dark" it's still not dark enough.

For me "Dark" and "Doom" are too dark but "Standard" and "Legacy" are too bright. :|

DuckReconMajor said:

The one thing that bugs me about GZDoom though is the lighting. Even on "Dark" it's [url=http://i.imgur.com/h9WXy.png]still not dark enough.

I see that GZDoom just have the light level the same everywhere, regardless of player's position, where in ports with classic lightning it gets darker when it's further. In Zdoom, that may look a bit grotesque when in 0-light areas textures next to you are still perfectly bright an it feels like having a weak lightbulb for a nose.

Scypek2 said:

I see that GZDoom just have the light level the same everywhere, regardless of player's position, where in ports with classic lightning it gets darker when it's further. In Zdoom, that may look a bit grotesque when in 0-light areas textures next to you are still perfectly bright an it feels like having a weak lightbulb for a nose.

Almost what I wanted to say. Actually GZDoom has a depth-based lighting like in software. At least when you use "doom" lighting mode. But this depth-lighting is less intense compared to software renderer. BTW GZDoom's global gunflash lighting (not dynamic, but the one that you get from firing guns in software renderer) is less intense too and can be sometimes almost invisible. Same with fake contrast.

I like crawling in really dark rooms using software renderer's depth lighting and constantly firing chaingun for more light :).

DuckReconMajor said:

Even on "Dark" it's still not dark enough.

Look at the far wall, it looks brighter than in software renderer.
But look at the floor near you, it is darker! I find that GZDoom is either too dark or doesn't have lighting at all :/. Because if I get close-up to a wall it is simply not bright :(. I wonder how would GZDoom look if it tried to exactly replicate software renderer's lighting (minus color table artifacts) using shaders.