Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I kind of hate secrets. If I don't find them, I feel frustrated. If I find them, but can't get into them, I feel stupid. If I find them and get into them, I feel the game is too easy. If I find nothing useful from them, I feel frustrated for needing to look for it. Uhh...

Jimi said:

I kind of hate secrets. If I don't find them, I feel frustrated. If I find them, but can't get into them, I feel stupid. If I find them and get into them, I feel the game is too easy. If I find nothing useful from them, I feel frustrated for needing to look for it. Uhh...

I've stopped playing Doom like I would other games: That is, to win. Nowadays, I play to deepen my appreciation for the elegant engine.

The main thing I like about secrets is discovering new map architecture. I've seen some of the most clever design built in/around secrets.

^I agree with that. Usually I just look for secrets to be able to see the entire map. And usually secrets are neat little places.. But sometimes I get so bored of a level I have to question whether it's worth it.

Oh man, I just realised that I've never really completed Doom (bridge to exit in Phobos Lab) nor Doom 2 (yellow key in Spirit World and what then?) 0.o
Oh my god...

And nothing is more annoying than finding all secrets on the level while just trying to find the exit.

I love Unreal Tournament and a few newer FPSes, but on the Doom engine I just can't stand mouse look and jumping. It ain't natural. I avoid wads that require them.

- Once I got used to Brutal Doom, its ultimately far more satisfying updated arsenal, its variety in the way monsters get damaged, the speed and intensity and overall new balance that makes the monsters threatening again and speeds the game up to a breathtaking level in the right maps, I pretty much stopped playing vanilla altogether. Yes, I play a ton of pwads now, but mostly with Brutal Doom even overriding custom content that may exist within, and I load up soundtracks from newer games to add that intensity that most crappy user MIDIs just don't have.

Yeah. I reallydon't have much here, although I have a feeling I have a bit more:

* I have never finished (or done more than a few maps of) Doom, Doom II, and Doom 64. I've only gone (really) straight to making my own levels.

Also, just a little thing I'm not sure if it is a "confession":

* When I look at others' levels, I realize my levels are not as impressive, and I really can't get to those standards...

Also, may edit to add more to this. I know I havemore to confess. Sorry for lack of 'em.

schwerpunk said:

Also, sometimes I run by health and armour bonuses.

Yeah, I'm guilty of this too. A lot of the time I don't even notice them, and then when I do I usually think, "oh, like that will be of any real use to me". Unless there's a cluster of them, a lot of the time they just don't seem worth it.

Ditto, I run past them unless they're all in a line by a wall, then I'd go for them.

Let's see...I've never finished AV Map25 without cheating. Yep. I saw AV off Tatsurd, and I tried MAP25 too, but failed every time.

I just lost two hours of intensive progress in Doom Builder because I forgot to Ctrl+S...

All the facepalms. Right here.

I almost ALWAYS play Doom with God Mode on. I get really frustrated when I die on a long level, and have to start it ALL OVER with all my hard-earned weapons lost.

Arjak said:

I almost ALWAYS play Doom with God Mode on. I get really frustrated when I die on a long level, and have to start it ALL OVER with all my hard-earned weapons lost.

This is the most confusing thing I've ever read.

Why not just use quick-save, though...? Or use the console command "resurrect." It gives you that frisson from getting a Hell Knight fireball to the head, but if it actually kills you, just type that into the console and you'll pop right back up!

Personally, I'd rather give up on a long level rather than 'cheat' my way to victory. I just don't find playing without risk satisfying.

Diff'rent strokes, etc...

I just deleted sf.wad, an extreme ass-kicking wad I was working on. No backups either...

BloodyAcid said:

I just deleted sf.wad, an extreme ass-kicking wad I was working on. No backups either...

Please, do not turn off your computer yet.

You see, when files are wiped from the Recycle Bin, they're moved into a low priority section of your PC where they are deleted upon next startup.

Read this and other similar pages on how to get it back:

http://www.squidoo.com/recover-deleted-recyclebin-files

I hope I helped.

Haha, it's great help, but my computer was turned off over the night. Thanks anyways

For the longest time i've pronounced a "cacodemon" as cock-o-demon (Lol)

I dislike slaughter style maps and any slaughter style traps if they are in a closed in area.

Arjak said:

I still want to hear this explained.

If it's sarcasm, or if it's real, I want to know. It's so confusing a sentiment that I can't sleep at night anymore.

Nick Perrin said:

If it's sarcasm, or if it's real, I want to know. It's so confusing a sentiment that I can't sleep at night anymore.

I don't think its sarcasm. He's saying he doesn't save his games and he doesn't like to die. Using "cheat" codes is the only thing that keeps him playing. Seems simple enough to me. It is a confession after all.

Nick Perrin said:

Let me try.

Arjak ALMOST always plays Doom with God Mode on. He does this because in the times he doesn't he gets really frustrated when he dies on a long level, and has to start it ALL OVER with all his hard-earned weapons lost.