Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I seriously hate when Wads (especially a MegaWad) don't display the actual level names on the Automap, because it only being a pixelart in the beginning and the end of the level.

I also can't stand MegaWads being precisely built and using the same stock music for all or nearly all the maps (special hate when MAP23's is the original).

I often just turn down most of the way (or off entirely) the muzak, unless it really helps set the mood (like Chex Quest). Still dig all the original tunes though.

Usually being conservative with the timings in which I pick up ammo and medikits/armor, I thickly abhor the situations in which security armors are placed in your path, leaving no choice but to pick it up. First you possibly sacrifice your combat armor, waste the security armor from picking it up too soon, and your chances of survival go down since your inferior armor will waste away fast, along with your health, soon leaving you naked. So.. in short, if I feel the necessity, I will noclip past them.

Eris Falling said:

None of the music was suitable for doom. maybe Map30 of Doom II, but otherwise only PSX is really suitable.

No.
No no no.
Good old arcadey cartoony lowres doom simply does not work with ambient crap ala PSX doom. Now Doom 64 had a very different style and it worked there, but i always thought that PSX dooms were an awkward disgrace. And most of the original midis fit really well into their respective levels! I would never trade e3m1/2/7, e2m2/6/8, e1m8, well any of e1 really, or map03/05/09/18/20/many_more for that boring psx noise.

Antroid said:

No.
No no no.
Good old arcadey cartoony lowres doom simply does not work with ambient crap ala PSX doom. Now Doom 64 had a very different style and it worked there, but i always thought that PSX dooms were an awkward disgrace. And most of the original midis fit really well into their respective levels! I would never trade e3m1/2/7, e2m2/6/8, e1m8, well any of e1 really, or map03/05/09/18/20/many_more for that boring psx noise.

this x1000

Antroid said:

No.
No no no.

x2

Antroid said:

No.
No no no.

It's interesting how both sides of this music argument are equally passionate.

I don't believe it has anything to do with which version you were first exposed to, either. PC Doom was my first Doom experience but I still thought the PSX's music was superior when I played it. I wouldn't say I hate the original midis but they don't hold any nostalgic value for me.

I think the pixels on Doom are classic and works of art... and 3d models or openGL smoothing looks like crap to me! Haha oldschool graphics all the way! :)
And like a few other people have said, I'm not too fond of slaughter maps myself either. Too long and too boring.

When using a source port that supports external music files, I sometimes get all the PSX music as MP3s, assign them to the corresponding levels (if possible), and then play PC DOOM with PSX music. I just have to say some maps sometimes feel a lot better with the PSX music (like DOOM 2 Map 2, for example).

Captain Red said:

I am great at Doom, cuz I've finished it on the hardest difficulty NIGHTMARE IS BULLSHIT AND DOESN'T COUNT

Fuckin' right! I can beat the entirety of doom I&II on UV but Nightmare is just id saying "yep screw you not good enough".

Confessions... hmm

-I honstly think doom is better than most if not all newer games
-I skip the Icon Of Sin per usual, except for my first playthrough
-I never beat E4
-The only thing i beat on Nightmare is E1. and when i did i paraded it around my house
-I never listen to the ingame music, i just kick on GWAR and mute the ingame mix (EXCEPT FOR E1M1, which reminds me...)
-I can vocalize E1M1 on command. why? because i love that mix with a passion. A fiery, murderous passion.

I can't stand the outcome of bilinear/trilinear filtering with Doom's textures and especially the sprites. :P

Heh, here's a "confession" of sorts I thought of recently. More of an "Oh god why do I know this", but...

D_RUNNIN, D_STALKS, D_COUNTD, D_BETWEE, D_DOOM, D_THE_DA, D_SHAWN, D_DDTBLU, D_IN_CIT, D_DEAD, D_STLKS2, D_THEDA2, D_DOOM2, D_DDTBL2, D_RUNNI2, D_DEAD2, D_STLKS3, D_ROMERO, D_SHAWN2, D_MESSAG, D_COUNT2, D_DDTBL3, D_AMPIE, D_THEDA3, D_ADRIAN, D_MESSG2, D_ROMER2, D_TENSE, D_SHAWN3, D_OPENIN, D_EVIL, D_ULTIMA.

...All of Doom 2's in-game music lumps, in "numeric" order. I've had this memorized forever for some weird reason, yet can hardly remember useful life things like anyone's phone number except for my own. :P

Same, Xaser. I guess it's really easy once you know what the songs are called, and when they're used within the original doom2.wad. :P

I have never completed Doom 2 without IDCLIP because i never been able to beat the MAP13

I've never played some megawads like Requiem, Alien Vendetta or Scythe.

I've always hated Plutonia for it's abusive difficulty level (i'm sure Dario and Milo didn't beat their wad either ).

I don't like vanilla palette, I find blue and red colors oversaturated

I'm not a fan of nearly all pwad because a lot of authors uses vanilla textures ever and ever.

Lamepourpre said:

I've always hated Plutonia for it's abusive difficulty level (i'm sure Dario and Milo didn't beat their wad either ).

LOOOL

No but seriously, ever heard of skill levels?

i play in Skill 4 generally, but i found plutonia too hard in UV, i must say that the Plutonia's green and brown colour scheme don't help me to enjoy playing.

NEVER cry about difficulty unless you've tried something on the lowest skill and failed. Else you kind of look like an idiot.

Lamepourpre said:

Dario himself said that Plutonia was supposed to be for people who completed Doom 2 on UV and were looking for a new challenge. He also said that he would play his levels on hard, and if he beat it too easy, he would make it harder.

I hate it when the level forces me to pick up some armor, powerup, etc, and there is no way to go around it.. and totally hate it when there's not even room to jump over it.

I think it would be nice to press a key and go into no pickup mode. So that I can move around without picking up anything. So very annoying to dodge both fireballs and ammo boxes, etc.

I've always preferred TNT over Plutonia. The difficulty was one issue, but I also just never liked the aesthetic style of Plutonia.

I've lost track of the number of times I've purchased Doom II. I had it on floppy disks, lost those, bought it in CD form at least twice and had the CDs get lost or destroyed (one time it was because I accidentally knocked over the bookshelf it was on and it ended up getting crushed and shattered), and finally just resorted to pirating it because I was sick of re-purchasing it. Now, though, I own the collector's edition or whatever it was called, that included Ultimate Doom, Doom II, TNT and Plutonia, and I've somehow managed to hold onto the CD for a number of years.

I quit mapping at least partially because I was becoming way too obsessed with details in texturing. I especially had a love/hate relationship with STARTAN. I loved it and its variants, but I could never have individual panels of it be clipped either vertically or horizontally, and so map shape and size would end up being dictated by it.

For the longest time I thought it was man-CUBE-us, but now I'm fairly sure it's MANK-you-bus. At least, I think it is. Now I don't know what to think.