Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I'm getting into the habit of sacking off wads at MAP29. Last two i've done were Community Chest 4 (archvile ambush right at the start of the level, fuck that) and Plutonia (can't be bothered to keep backtracking through the city). I've also never bothered completing Icon of Sin levels.

I also tend to skip or cheat through Icon of Sin levels for the most part. That particular gimmick worse thin a long time ago for me.

The confession I was actually here to make is that map sets like DTS-T that refer to the player as some sort of military elite always amuse me (I've done it myself several times in the text files for my projects, DTS-T was just the most recent one I played to do so), simply because my marine in ZDoom tends to be sporting some pretty outlandish colours (bright pink, at the moment) - it sort of makes the whole thing slightly ridiculous :P

Gordon said:

I don't know where the normal exit is in E2M5. I always just take the secret exit.

I started playing Doom in 2007 (when I was 12), and never found the normal exit of E2M5 until 2008 or 2009. **

Upon seeing the Cyberdemon rising from the floor for the first time in MAP29, my reaction consisted of saying "Screw this!" and running to the level's exit.

I am currently stuck on map 12 of Doom2 on my nightmare playthrough. The exit area is proving to be something of a challenge.

The first Doom games I ever fully owned were Final Doom on PS1 and then Final Doom on PC. This is probably whh I love TNT Evilution so much.

I have only ever finished Doom 2 legitimately once, on the XBLA version.

I have also only finished Plutonia once.

I have pretty much every major singleplayer wad on a harddrive somewhere, but most are never completed. I either take a break, then a new version of my port destroys the previous savefiles, making me go "fuck it" when I realise, I dont have time, or my computer breaks down (Thats actually a common occurence!) Its annoying because I love to complete them, I dont play half-assed like a lot of people on this thread seem to :/

I cannot get my head around map making or editing wad files, yet I have near infinite creativity for this game unable to be tapped into, to the point I very often dream up big episodes and remakes and so forth in my sleep.

Strife is my favourite non-Doom Doom engine game.

I really love Chex Quest.

I play ONLY with a controller *dodges incoming mass murder* but play so well with it, that some people wouldnt ever realise it

I cant stand slaughtermaps outside of Go 2 It. I play for the adventure, the atmosphere, not to kill. Thats not to say I dont like a challenge, but when a map is nothing but room after room of piles of enemies, I'm likely to not bother.

I love my savegames. I dont enjoy repeating large segments over and over because of ONE encounter (Was killed by the E4M6 Cyberdemon about 20 times in a row today to endless small mistakes, that level is hell enough without him!)

I will never pistol start anything unless its the first map. I beleive in the progression, the adventure. Similarly, dying makes me reload save from the beginning of the level. I really dont think its a good idea to charge into hell armourless with just a pistol..

Doom 64 is the only Doom game I dont own (Although this isnt too surprising, given its general unavailibility)

Ragnor said:

I will never pistol start anything unless its the first map. I beleive in the progression, the adventure. Similarly, dying makes me reload save from the beginning of the level. I really dont think its a good idea to charge into hell armourless with just a pistol..

I started a coop game with my buddy last night half way through Eternity where we had left off before. We play with double ammo and it still took about 4 levels until we had enough to actually play with. Punching barons got really old.

Ragnor said:

Change 'never' to 'rarely' and this applies to me too. Unless I'm testing something, I don't bother with random map Pistol Starts on any PWAD. I'd much rather work my way up to MAP30 (or whatever the final mapslot may be) from the start, dealing with whatever shit gets thrown my way during the course. Even if it makes the start of the next map an absolute nightmare.

BaronOfStuff said:

Change 'never' to 'rarely' and this applies to me too. Unless I'm testing something, I don't bother with random map Pistol Starts on any PWAD. I'd much rather work my way up to MAP30 (or whatever the final mapslot may be) from the start, dealing with whatever shit gets thrown my way during the course. Even if it makes the start of the next map an absolute nightmare.

You're still around these forums? I remember watching your Doom videos a year or two ago, pretty good stuff man. Still make them?

I'm the opposite. From a pure gameplay talk here, the most basic way I can describe my play is:

*Always on "a tad bit of the ol'"

*Always pistol start. Even on maps intended for keeping your stuff throughout. Which I usually give a knock at after a pistol start playthrough.

Platinum Shell said:

You're still around these forums? I remember watching your Doom videos a year or two ago, pretty good stuff man. Still make them?

Yep, I'm still at it, along with videos of other games. A bit less frequent with uploading due to life getting in the way (and an amazingly crap upload speed at the moment), but oh well.

I love Plutonia; much more than Doom2.wad (which I'm playing through again of late, just because I haven't for a while and it seems fair) and infinitely more than TNT - Evilition.

That's not the confession. That I spend half the time wishing for a Plutonia 3 is. PL2 was amazing, and PRCP was pretty good too; although a little too slavish to the original in places. I loved Plutonia 2 doing new things like Black Ice that still kept the overall theme going, and I'd love to see a Plutonia 3 that keeps the trend going.

I stopped playing kdizd in the middle of map 3, when I found out that there are green/orange/purple cards. Ridiculously long levels are not a technical/gameplay improvement based on zdoom, but a different style of level design I'm NOT looking for when playing original levels recreation.

Scypek2 said:

Ridiculously long levels are not a technical/gameplay improvement based on zdoom, but a different style of level design I'm NOT looking for when playing original levels recreation.

Semi-related, but all my praise for KDiZD went flying out the window when that particular boss appeared.

Alright, so not all my praise for what is largely a fine piece of work, but I really didn't like the concept or that final fight at all. Son of Chthon? In my Doom? To me, it just ruined what had been a perfectly re-imagined E1M8 up until that point.

Boo. Hiss.

1) I still can't make a decent map despite trying for years (though I haven't tried in ages now)

2) I have sometimes used a dehacked patch I made to give myself more health or faster weapons when stuck dying a lot on the really hard mapsets like requiem. Because I insist on playing on UV and I hate turning the cheats on!

3) I haven't played Doom much lately. But I still do and will; it is still the greatest - because of the community that has produced a quality library of maps for it.

Platinum Shell, look in the PSX Doom Losrt Levels thread, Baron's doing a LOT of great work for that project :D

ComicMischief said:

I love Plutonia; much more than Doom2.wad (which I'm playing through again of late, just because I haven't for a while and it seems fair) and infinitely more than TNT - Evilition.

That's not the confession. That I spend half the time wishing for a Plutonia 3 is. PL2 was amazing, and PRCP was pretty good too; although a little too slavish to the original in places. I loved Plutonia 2 doing new things like Black Ice that still kept the overall theme going, and I'd love to see a Plutonia 3 that keeps the trend going.

I'd rather see some more love given to to the other parts of Doom first. Theres countless E1 remakes/sequels/tributes, two Plutonia ones, TNT's sequel is slowly approaching completion, yet theres nearly nothing out there for Episode 2 to 4 (Especially 4) or Doom 2. I sometimes get the feeling STRIFE will get a fan sequel before Doom 2 or Episode 4 sometimes.

Confession: I earlier stated that ive beaten Doom 2 only once. Yet I consistently get 300% without really trying, yet I'll ALWAYS miss an item or two in Ultimate Doom and have to backtrack.

I also only recently noticed a sound effect in the BFG, after the loud shot theres a dull throbbing echo. The BFG sounds awesome now that ive noticed that bit, but not as good as the PSX one. That one sounded all kinds of powerful!

BFG Edition: I actually dont care too much about the secret level censoring. I still know the layout; I still get the references. I dont even pay attention to the pills on the medikits, and I think the "broken" SSG sound sounds BETTER, sounds much more powerful now. BOOOOOOOOOOM *Demon snort, collapse*

Ragnor said:

I'd rather see some more love given to to the other parts of Doom first. Theres countless E1 remakes/sequels/tributes, two Plutonia ones, TNT's sequel is slowly approaching completion, yet theres nearly nothing out there for Episode 2 to 4 (Especially 4) or Doom 2. I sometimes get the feeling STRIFE will get a fan sequel before Doom 2 or Episode 4 sometimes.

Don't Doom 2 In Name Only or Doom 2 The Way id Did count?

I'd love to see an Ep2 tribute megaWAD though. Ep2 makes me happy.

True enough, but Episode 4 STILL gets ignored :/

I forgot Doom 2 was actually getting such a project for it, guess its because of how bad a taste the Doom 1 project leaves with the fate of the Romero level suggestions, along with ignoring E4, despite how many maps ended up in side projects (No End in Sight, Lost Episodes..)

Ragnor said:

yet theres nearly nothing out there for Episode 2 to 4 (Especially 4) or Doom 2.

Well, have you played these?

E2 - dinner, ddvu, f_ep2, kansam9, hellrun
E3 - bak2hell, bedlam, styx, notebook
E4 - death tormention wads, crusades

Ragnor said:

secret level censoring

Edit: okay, I should've read that thread. Man, what a retarded piece of shit. You're right, it's not even worth starting a discussion.

What BFG edition? I place it in same category as other thing I don't care about (Wolf3D, Final DOOM, Master Levels, most console ports, DOOM 3, Quake 3...) Hell, I don't even take DOOM II very seriously. I mean, I never played straight through it. It's basically just a map compilation with a few levels I like to play once in a while (Entryway, Underhalls, Circle of Death, The Factory, Tenements, The Chasm, Nirvana, Barrels 'o Fun). Just because something is "official" doesn't mean you have to care about it, or even acknowledge it. That's just a waste of energy. Play what you enjoy, forget the rest...

Sketching levels on paper is great for me, as I can draw as fast as I think. And that's sometimes even too fast.
- I once sketched a really cool level, but I had to start editing on a computer to notice that I made a red door but no red key. Not just forgot to draw, but completely ommited during level design.
- it happened once or twice that I wrote "chain" during level design and then had not even the slightest idea if it is a chaingun, a chainsaw or maybe a chaingunner.
- i sometimes want to put a room where it would fit on a map, but that place is filled with arrows and subtitles ("lift", "raise fast" "gunfire door") and I can't draw anything there.
- and my personal favourite, the Knipe. "Knipe" can hardly be any monster or object, as it's drawn through a wall. Anyone have an idea what is that? I've written it myself but I don't know. Now when I think about it, it might've meant "kitchen", as that's where that text halfway is. Have you ever put a kitchen in a map? In my megawad, I did it twice. Wait, thrice. Including one in a hell level. Excluding the legendary Knipe that failed to made it on the actual map.

Killing a cacodemon leaves me feeling a little remorseful. The way it's face screws up in agony, before inexplicably melting in front of you, it's final utterance being full of lamentation:-

"Mrh-mrh-mrh-mrh-mrh."

... it's a tragic and undignified end.

I guess the way something appears to be dying differs by everybodys perspective of it but I don't think it's actually melting.

The caco's death is gruesome in PSX Doom, you can hear all its insides pouring out as it groans its last, the look of absolute agony on its face...

Also, I just realised today I have never owned the original Doom exe. I started on Doom95...

For the first time in ever, I've played Doom with the horizontal width reduced a bit; not my resolution but one of the display options. Feels right. Not so bloated out.

Gave me a new wind for Doom.