Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Ragnor said:

True enough, but Episode 4 STILL gets ignored :/

I forgot Doom 2 was actually getting such a project for it, guess its because of how bad a taste the Doom 1 project leaves with the fate of the Romero level suggestions, along with ignoring E4, despite how many maps ended up in side projects (No End in Sight, Lost Episodes..)

Since this was brought up elsewhere recently, I feel the need to clarify that Romero didn't suggest any levels in DTWID. He suggested a couple of names and ideas for levels. He didn't play the actual submissions or decide anything about them. Quite a few attempts were made by various contributors to make levels based on his names and map concepts, but in the end those attempts weren't really working out, so that was that.

esselfortium said:

Since this was brought up elsewhere recently, I feel the need to clarify that Romero didn't suggest any levels in DTWID. He suggested a couple of names and ideas for levels. He didn't play the actual submissions or decide anything about them. Quite a few attempts were made by various contributors to make levels based on his names and map concepts, but in the end those attempts weren't really working out, so that was that.

You replied to this thread the very second I entered the exit from Olmec's fight in Spelunky. Got to the City of Gold, too.

I wonder how many people from ID are into the Doom community itself?

esselfortium said:

I explained this a previous thread where Ragnor raised this so I think he's aware. I think he feels the fact John Romero casually threw a few hypothetical level names into the discussion warranted these names be worked into levels that should automatically get a place in the megawad.

I never understood the mass hate for Rubas maps.
Okay they don't look great and use ss and commander keens at random sometimes but the maps of his I have played have always been fun and have a nice old school charm to them. Killing adventure is much praised in the speedrunning community :)

- never played through the whole doom2, just a few levels and only in old 90's
- didnt play most of the largely kwnown wads (MM, MM2, just partially scythe,AV, epic, tvr,eternal,doom64 and master levels, doom3 even if I have the original bought, etc...) due to lack of time and interest, and I focused on a minor amount of wads
- while demorecording I most likely would bite anybody entering my room even to say hello (I like Istantly lose concentration and die miserably everytime lol)
- doom1 maps turns to appear always boring without a couple enemies and the SSG I'm addicted
- I'm playing doom still, just because I cant find any other decent time-eater :p

Scypek2 said:

I just had a dream about having sex with Pain Elemental O.o

That would be quite a painful experience.

Jason said:

That would be quite a painful experience.

Even if he was "daddy" :D

I have already ripped each and every midi from the 1994 Tune-up wad (Not for more specific purposes than listening to them as relaxation while mapping!!!), but I still don't know the playthrough of several maps in it.

I confess:

I've never beaten every level with 100% kills or secrets on any IWAD. I'm in the proceeds of rectifying that right now, up to E1M6 and refusing to advance until I find all secrets.

Some have been a fucker as yet; I'm talking to YOU, non-obvious walls in E1M2 and E1M5. Also, chaingun secret in E1M9. What the fuck?

One thing I also failed to mention is that I haven't recorded a demo for DSDA with monsters in ages. Fortunately, I just made a tyson last
night for 1monster.. so hopefully it'll be on DSDA Sunday or Monday!

Having been shocked to see that there are people who find Doom to be new or fascinating still (shocked, but approving all the same) I realise I've become so accustomed to having Doom in my life that I almost consider it a natural bodily function.

ComicMischief said:

I confess:

I've never beaten every level with 100% kills or secrets on any IWAD. I'm in the proceeds of rectifying that right now, up to E1M6 and refusing to advance until I find all secrets.

Some have been a fucker as yet; I'm talking to YOU, non-obvious walls in E1M2 and E1M5. Also, chaingun secret in E1M9. What the fuck?

For years I always forgot you have to shoot the wall in the optional COMP* maze. I just went around humping the walls, knowing there was a secret there, and wondering why I didn't get the *usefail sound on that one section. I would just run around and back to that spot, hoping to trigger a hidden linedef somewhere.

This probably dates back to me not being aware of shootable walls until I started playing Doom 2 -- I simply thought that this feature was not present in Doom 1.

I made revenant's rockets shoot plasma. AT HIM. Is there anything more dumb in Zdoom than its understanding of "target"? Then, I tried ugly hacks and got revenant's rockets homing at him and passing through him, making caco death sound. I give up.

Scypek2 said:

I made revenant's rockets shoot plasma. AT HIM. Is there anything more dumb in Zdoom than its understanding of "target"? Then, I tried ugly hacks and got revenant's rockets homing at him and passing through him, making caco death sound. I give up.

I was wrong stating that there are not stranger things than barking textures.

I never actually played completely through any of the original iwads.

Haven't played completely through any 32 level megawads.

I've usually only completed any wads that were around 15 levels or less in length.

Almost ever play single level wads.

Only just played multi-player for the first time a few days ago. Been playing single player only for about 10+ years.

I never completed Plutonia (I got up to map 28). I completed the others though. My biggest confession is that I played PSX Doom before the PC one, the PC one I first played when I was 11. EDIT: A little extension to the confession that I just remembered, when I first played the original PC versions I thought the sound was reduced and didn't really like the sound too much (the effects and music).

Springy said:

EDIT: A little extension to the confession that I just remembered, when I first played the original PC versions I thought the sound was reduced and didn't really like the sound too much (the effects and music).

I always preferred the psx sound and music to the original pc ones too ever since I first heard them.

Speaking of, I never actually played the psx Doom on the actual console. Only by way of the PSX Doom TC. I have played Doom 64 on the console though.

bloodfalls said:

I love Scythe but I never completed it because of the ''run from it'' map. It's very anoying.

I can beat that map just fine, but I agree that it does get annoying sometimes. One wrong step and you're probably done (in UV you must beat the map in 30-31 seconds before you're dead).

Brewtal_Legend said:

I always preferred the psx sound and music to the original pc ones too ever since I first heard them.

Speaking of, I never actually played the psx Doom on the actual console. Only by way of the PSX Doom TC. I have played Doom 64 on the console though.

I still have my console version (I don't know where my final doom one went too though). The N64 version for me I've only ever played on the PC version but have waited a few years for it on VC still not on there.

I have been making maps since 1995, and have only completed 1 map. Temple of Skulls. Which was the featured map picture on the new stuff on the main page which MADE ME SO FUCKING HAPPY

I find that Blue Fire's Doom Expanded mixes PSX Doom sounds and PC sounds really well, while adding in new ones. The item pickups are still jarring, but the monsters are great

joedotts said:

I have been making maps since 1995, and have only completed 1 map. Temple of Skulls. Which was the featured map picture on the new stuff on the main page which MADE ME SO FUCKING HAPPY

Oh, so I'm still not late with my 3 year old mapping and releasing practically nothing.

I have never beaten Point Dreadful (map 30 from AV).
I have to play a lot of pwads on HMP.
I had to turn the difficulty down to HNTR for Deus Vult 1's second stage, and have still never beaten its fourth stage.