Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

cq75 said:

When I first found the extra secrets in the wolf3d maps I thought I missed something and went back and tried to find them in Wolf3d.

I occasionally try opening these Doom II-only secrets in Wolf3D too, purely out of Doom II-based habit. Oddly, I never try opening the Wolf3D-only secret (with the extra life) whenever I play MAP32: Grosse though.

Not directly Doom-related, but I've kept a tab open in Post Hell for a good hour or so now while I work on a MUD with volume at max. =]

Enzo03 said:

Not directly Doom-related, but I've kept a tab open in Post Hell for a good hour or so now while I work on a MUD with volume at max. =]

Haha, I have to say, there's some interesting music. :P

doomdaniel95 said:

Haha, I have to say, there's some interesting music. :P

I'm interested whether I could get that music somehow :D

Umm... I haven't been able to complete either TNT or Plutonia without saveloading. And...

I don't like TNT and Plutonia. Somehow the space sky TNT has from levels 12 to 20 feels wrong to me. Not fond of many level designs and the music either. The atmosphere's just kinda wrong for Doom. As for Plutonia, I don't like the texturing in most of the levels. I appreciate the inclusion of new textures (which were given justice in Plutonia Revisited and PL2), but most of the levels themselves feel the most depressing (NOT in a good way), ugly and unenjoyable. Even though the Final Doom packs are by all means adequate, their atmosphere just turns me off.

And even though they're commercial, I don't consider them canon, only fun level packs like HR, AV or MM.

I have several possibly mind boggling things to confess to that could possibly cause me to be considered a pansy:

1. This I think is a relatively big one: I've never completed ANY Doom game (official or MegaWad) on Nightmare difficulty...

2. I often get lost in E1M4 for some reason, even if I use the automap.

3. The Pinky demons in E1M4 (in the 'maze' that I get lost in) usually catch me off guard and scare me.

4. Pinkys in general... scare me when they catch me off guard.

5. I sometimes STILL jump when I play classic doom.

6. Chaingunners usually kill me at least once in any given playthrough of Doom II if I play on Ultra Violence.

7. I often waste plasma rounds and regret it later when I have to fight a big enemy.

8. I've accidentally switched to the rocket launcher and gibbed myself more times than I could even care to count.

9. I often kill large numbers of enemies in doorways so I can sit and watch them being gibbed by the door crushing them when it closes. As such, I end up often achieving the SUCKS par time at least once per playthrough ever since I was 12.

10. I often play through Doom 2 using nothing but the SSG, and often times resort to cheating just to do so.

11. I've never completed Plutonia at all without cheating.

DoomFan421 said:

2. I often get lost in E1M4 for some reason, even if I use the automap.

I get lost all the time in just about every map after the first of any wad. E1M2 is especially frustrating because it should be easy, E1M7 confuses me and I still don't have any idea how the end of E1M6 actually works. I don't know what it is but I just always get disoriented in games.

I wouldn't suggest to you two to explore the secret exit on Wolf3D E3L7 either...

Cell said:

I wouldn't suggest to you two to explore the secret exit on Wolf3D E3L7 either...

I don't remember that level at all. I'm not sure I ever played straight through anything after E1. Looking back I'm starting to think Doom is the only good game id ever made.

I often get bored when playing long megawads. Since not all are pistol-startable, I keep 1-2 versions of GZDoom specially for loading the saves on those wads. I haven't touched either Neodoom or CIF3 in about a year, but still keep their saves. I also have a special GZDoom version set up specifically for "vanilla playing" (for some reason I like it more than PRBoom).

qoncept said:

I don't remember that level at all. I'm not sure I ever played straight through anything after E1. Looking back I'm starting to think Doom is the only good game id ever made.

To be more precise, id's success series were between 1993 and 1996. I still don't say that CK or Wolf3D were bad, but Doom is far the best of all.

Cell said:

To be more precise, id's success series were between 1993 and 1996. I still don't say that CK or Wolf3D were bad, but Doom is far the best of all.

I think the Commander Keen games were better than Wolf3D. For fun, anyway.

I don't know what happened but the sound in Doom is so much better than anything else. Wolf had some pretty major hardware limitations but the sound in Quake was just awful.

OK, silence please! I'm going to confess:

I am MarkAnthony89 and I cursed an enemy of mine (of course in real life) some months ago, he was suffering too much (from what I know) and then he committed suicide. I never told this to anyone so I think I won't have problems telling you here and now, it really happened.

MarkAnthony89 said:

I am MarkAnthony89 and I cursed an enemy of mine (of course in real life) some months ago, he was suffering too much (from what I know) and then he committed suicide. I never told this to anyone so I think I won't have problems telling you here and now, it really happened.

I'm starting to wish I never posted that video about you on Youtube... which I feel I must roll out here because the music really suits you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xioP_yrZrE

MajorRawne said:

I'm starting to wish I never posted that video about you on Youtube ;)

But it doesn't matter now, I still thank you for posting that video on youtube but the thread that the video was regarding is in Post Hell right now so why should I care anymore, doomworld moderators must have been drunk when they moved the thread, they even refuse to tell me why they did it!

MarkAnthony89 said:

JUST KIDDING!!! But I might learn how to curse a person one day, just to get rid of those who offend me (even when they THINK that they are just joking with me).

MarkAnthony89 said:

But it doesn't matter now, I still thank you for posting that video on youtube but the thread that the video was regarding is in Post Hell right now so why should I care anymore, doomworld moderators must have been drunk when they moved the thread, they even refuse to tell me why they did it!

I can't imagine.

By the way, curses rely on the belief of the cursed person. There is no empirical evidence they work, but just in case you doubt my willpower, I have aspergers and I overcame severe depression and severe anxiety. I believe in what is real, and what is real can be overcome.

Hooo! I like this thread! Now I can confess! Surprise surprise! What am I gonna confess this time:

Nothing yet... But be alert, DoomUK! Doomworld moderators may delete this thread too, look what they did to my thread, they seem to be crazy, I don't think they know what they're doing. I just post an entertaining thread and it's on post hell right now, one day I'm gonna post a bunch of stupidity threads just to bore them and give them even more work to do, GO MODERATORS CLEAN THIS FORUM FROM SHIT!

Just kidding...

MarkAnthony89 said:

Hooo! I like this thread! Now I can confess! Surprise surprise! What am I gonna confess this time:

Nothing yet... But be alert, DoomUK! Doomworld moderators may delete this thread too, look what they did to my thread, they seem to be crazy, I don't think they know what they're doing. I just post an entertaining thread and it's on post hell right now, one day I'm gonna post a bunch of stupidity threads just to bore them and give them even more work to do, GO MODERATORS CLEAN THIS FORUM FROM SHIT!

Just kidding...

Clearly someone's suffering from PTSD from having their little thread being booted out.

MarkAnthony89 said:

Just kidding...

...are you 12?

Uh... ok, well. I have some more confessions too.

- Never even tried to complete anything on Nightmare either. I'm convinced that would be impossible, except maybe with the original Doom.

- Never beat a Cyberdemon with a berserk fist only

- Never beat a Spider Mastermind with anything other than the BFG, Plasma Gun or Rocket Launcher

- I fucking hate Arch-Viles

- I'm a much better level designer for Descent than I am for Doom (the latter I'm actually not at all) ;__;

Enough for now ;p

BloodyAcid said:

Clearly someone's suffering from PTSD from having their little thread being booted out.

I'm not suffering, I'm just having fun, as everyone does in this forum.

And btw, are you talking to me? Better watch how you talk!

My Doom confession.

I was playing Doom when an IMP pulled me into the screen it was a GIRL iMP she asked to have SEX with her i coudln't decline because she was in my mind in my brain screaming SEX ME OR DIE pig I was having to have sex with her and it weas horrible and then i realised it was a dream and i was woke up and there was yoghurt on my trousers. Only Joking.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to raise the tone from where this discussion was heading.

Xfing said:

Uh... ok, well. I have some more confessions too.

- Never beat a Cyberdemon with a berserk fist only

Oops, you mis-posted in the wrong thread.

Cell said:

Absolutely agree.
After 96 their magic quickly faded - only standout for me is the multiplayer aspect of QuakeII.
Quake 3 has some ace gameplay mechanics but it feels less refined and the graphical effects look silly - especially the gibbing onf enemies... all punch has been lost due to trying to please a market.

MajorRawne said:

My Doom confession.

I was playing Doom when an IMP pulled me into the screen it was a GIRL iMP she asked to have SEX with her i coudln't decline because she was in my mind in my brain screaming SEX ME OR DIE pig I was having to have sex with her and it weas horrible and then i realised it was a dream and i was woke up and there was yoghurt on my trousers. Only Joking.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to raise the tone from where this discussion was heading.

Why didn't u kill her instead? Or would u prefer to have sex with a demon?!!! By the way, WHAT A DIRTY SUBJECT!!! Away with this rottenness!

_bruce_ said:

Absolutely agree.
After 96 their magic quickly faded - only standout for me is the multiplayer aspect of QuakeII.
Quake 3 has some ace gameplay mechanics but it feels less refined and the graphical effects look silly - especially the gibbing onf enemies... all punch has been lost due to trying to please a market.

I have to agree on this. Even Quake itself, while having a definite charm, is nowhere near as good or replayable as the Doom titles. Quake 2 is a fun game, but it's practically devoid of atmosphere. Q3A is a very fun multiplayer game, but little else.

Guess they just don't make 'em like they used to anymore.