Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

@Platinum Shell

Sorry man, I don't understand. What is 'tude?

@Patch93

I certainly prefer the original UAC logos, but the ones on PG were not bad, at least for me.

Fenriswolf said:

I don't even play Doom, I'm just here for Heretic + Hexen...

That explains your avatar.

For a long time I couldn't decide if the SS guards said "I'm bleeding" or "I'm leaving" when they died.

Zed said:

Sorry man, I don't understand. What is 'tude?

It's short for attitude, something that's not exactly in short supply on these forums.

GreyGhost said:

For a long time I couldn't decide if the SS guards said "I'm bleeding" or "I'm leaving" when they died.

Killing nazis seems weirder now that I can hear them as nothing but drama queens.

Always assumed they were saying mein liebe! And the bigger guys were saying schutzstaffel! My friend thinks they're saying Oom-pa-pa!, and calls them as such - like they're some kind of Pokémon, lol.

I actually enjoy the PS1 control pad for Dooming. Dunno why it gets so much hate. I think the default layout works well.

mrthejoshmon said:

I thought the SS Nazi's were saying "mein Leben" or something like that which is "my life" (I think)

That's correct and I think that's what they actually say. It's kind of hard to figure it out though, even for a native speaker :P (At least, it would make much more sense than these other suggestions)

They are, in actuality, pregnant female soldiers. When shot, their parting words in this world are "my baby!" as they realise it will never see the light of day.

You bastards.

Zed said:

-I prefer TNT over Plutonia.

At last! I always knew, deep down, that there had to be someone besides me who thought this.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

At last! I always knew, deep down, that there had to be someone besides me who thought this.

I also prefer TNT over Plutonia, we're not alone I see :P

Fenriswolf said:

That's correct and I think that's what they actually say. It's kind of hard to figure it out though, even for a native speaker :P (At least, it would make much more sense than these other suggestions)

Well it would probably be hard for anyone to figure it out due to the fact that the voice samples are in 8-bit quality. lol When I heard Hans Große for the first time I thought he was saying "Booding Time!" instead of "Guten Tag" XD

Good to see that Wolfenstein made Americans appreciate the German language.
Being Austrian it always cracks me up what goofball cliched image the Reich's troopers have to endure.

Fernito said:

I also prefer TNT over Plutonia, we're not alone I see :P

Haha, count me in as well. :) I love Plutonia, but I think tnt was very well crafted, and have some exciting, fun, nice-looking maps. Of course, I can say the same about Plutonia, but tnt's theme... I just like more I guess.

Yeah, I think I also like TNT better because of the theme (I don't like Plutonia's theme that much TBH). Also, I like the fact TNT has its own music, and not music borrowed from the original IWADs.

I always hear the brown nazis say:"Hot dog!" and the blue nazis say:"Here Pat, Here Pat!". The white nazis I always heard correctly saying:"Spion!" But my guess is that's also a dog's name.

Jimi said:

I always hear the brown nazis say:"Hot dog!" and the blue nazis say:"Here Pat, Here Pat!". The white nazis I always heard correctly saying:"Spion!" But my guess is that's also a dog's name.

Actually that is correct in regards to the Officers, as that is German for "Spy!".

Also, I think the foot soldiers are supposed to be saying "Halt!" with a brief gasp before hand but it's hard to tell due to the poor quality of the sample. That's my opinion though.

I guess my Doom confession for the week is that I don't like Wolfenstein 3D as-is. Without any kind of automap, it's garbage to me.

I, also, prefer TNT to Plutonia. I always felt like I would lose Doom cred for admitting it because everyone always praised Plutonia. I get the appeal - the difficulty, the intensity, these are things many Doomers crave, but I could just never get into the artistic style. I dunno, maybe it's just that I played the shareware to death, but I really got attached to tech bases. I don't mind hellish architecture in a tech base, and in fact, I like it, I've just never had a thing for ancient ruins or hellscapes or what have you. Honestly, when it comes down to it, part of the issue is just that I think demons in a modern, technological setting are more terrifying than demons in a fantasy setting.

Well, certainly one of the reasons I prefer TNT is, as has been said, the more "realistic" look of it. But there's something else: Map30. I know a lot of people hate it, but I find it interesting because it's not just another typical Icon of Sin battle. Yes, there is one at the end, but it's not only one room and a platform (which is one of the reasons I also like Eternal Doom's "Excalibur"). Also, I like the color-coded "maze" at the beginning. It's quite clever, I think.

Jayextee said:

I guess my Doom confession for the week is that I don't like Wolfenstein 3D as-is. Without any kind of automap, it's garbage to me.

Back when the most advanced first person shooter around was Duke Nukem 3D, I was able to tolerate the crude orthogonal nature of Wolf, but I haven't played it in years. Boy, the shit we used to put up with in gaming.

Well, we could make a thread called "The Wolfenstein 3D Confessional Booth". Or change the title of this thread to "The ID Games Confessional Booth", since there seem to be a couple of posts here talking about Hexen and Heretic as well.

My latest confession; I don't know what a 'jagoff' is, and SteveD says it all the time. ^^;

Jayextee said:

Those mazes can become confusing, but it's not as big a deal to me as the lack of dedicated left/right strafe keys.

I also never finished any of the Final Doom stuff. Heck, I never even "properly" finished DOOM II, and never played all its maps consecutively. It's just too long of a slog. I think the original DOOM episode model was better... Sadly only Heretic seems to have preserved that (along with showing the game map after each level).

Jayextee said:

That's why the ZDoom TC is my preferred method of playing the game. :P