Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

EDIT: just noticed on the last page...:

scifista42 said:

It isn't, because it's a Czech word and in Czech we pronounce most words as they are written, so [scifista]. :)

This doesn't help me in the least, unless you mean you pronounce each letter individually. Do you mean, like: "See-Fista?"

dethtoll said:

This is an interesting concept, very Wolfenstein or Doom Alpha in its implementation.

Wonder if anyone's actually made a ZDoom gameplay mod with this concept?

Hm, kind of like a Soul Sphere that only activates when the player reaches 0 health? That's a really cool idea. Add in a custom sprite and a rezzing sound-effect and you're set. I like it a lot.

I might just steal this idea (with credit).

Having tried to implement a lives system myself (albeit in EDGE), I'm gonna say: good luck. The hardcoded player death routine seems a difficult thing to work your way around.

I confess that I've been Playing Doom the Way id Did with the particle fire enhancer mod and psx music for a few hours straight. Talk about being really immersed in the game.

I secretly wish to become a Doom god and get lots of subscribers so that my ever increasing ego can be stroked and massaged until the end of days (or until the day the Demons invade, in which case we'll all take up arms and kick some ass). I secretly compare myself with the best speed runners and although I have genuine respect and admiration, there might be a tinge of envy. (OK so maybe those are not so secret anymore. Bow before my might, puny Doom guys and girls!)

On the other hand, if I get too much attention I would feel obliged to play Doom all day long to make demos. Not that I would mind in general but my other not so secret desire to live a balanced and fulfilled personal life and career would be in jeopardy. Not that the Doom gods don't necessarily have balanced and fulfilled personal lives and careers (I wouldn't know).

I guess the best I can hope for is to slowly but surely get better, focus on quality not quantity and most of all have fun doing it. (which I think I have)

Jayextee said:

Having tried to implement a lives system myself (albeit in EDGE), I'm gonna say: good luck. The hardcoded player death routine seems a difficult thing to work your way around.

Yeah, I gave it a shot later on that day, and there do seem to be more hurdles than I thought, even in ZDoom. I suppose I could cheat and make it trigger when the player has 1% health, but that's just unsatisfying.

Ideally, it would just run the "resurrect" console command when the player dies, but of course nothing is ever that simple.

I nearly always play Doom using zdoom, but the fact that it won't play the demos that came with Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom really annoyed me. My solution was to record my own demos while (badly) imitating the behavior of the player in the demos that shipped with the games. :p

^And ZDoom actually launches them?

Also: [scifista], very close to [stsifista], because letter 'c' sounds similar to [ts]. Czech language has no distinct accent, and I have hard time imagining how it must be for people who natively speak a language with some accent. Just forget about prolonged 'i' in place of 'ee', forget about 'a' turning into 'e', forget about 'h' sounding like 'eych', forget about all these unwritten spelling rules, and that's how we speak in Czech.

scifista42 said:

Also: [scifista], very close to [stsifista], because letter 'c' sounds similar to [ts]. Czech language has no distinct accent, and I have hard time imagining how it must be for people who natively speak a language with some accent. Just forget about prolonged 'i' in place of 'ee', forget about 'a' turning into 'e', forget about 'h' sounding like 'eych', forget about all these unwritten spelling rules, and that's how we speak in Czech.

Hey, this was an interesting post to read, but saying about lack of unwritten rules is quite "czechocetric", c being [ts] (more or less) is such a rule, absent in all Western European languages I know of. Also, you have dialects, don't you?

vdgg said:

Hey, this was an interesting post to read, but saying about lack of unwritten rules is quite "czechocetric", c being [ts] (more or less) is such a rule, absent in all Western European languages I know of. Also, you have dialects, don't you?

I admit, I'm a language antitalent. It isn't really clear to me how people from different countries even 'percept' spelling rules. The thing with [ts] sounds so natural to me that I considered it self-evident.

And yes, we have dialects but 1) they're officially non-standard matter of speach 2) they're spoken by a very minority of the nation and the number is decreasing 3) they affect grammar and word-morphology more than an accent 4) when someone decides to write them down, he writes their 'literal' pronunciation too, so there's no difference. But yes, they're different in accents.

Sorry for linguistics off-topic.

Doominator2 said:

Sometimes when I am low on health I will use IDDQD

Me too. I use Vanilla, there's no "resurrect" command, so I use it when I haven't saved for a long time. Some PWADs are very long and when they become too difficult, I always lose my health, then I keep God mode activated.

Doominator2 said:

I actually like NUTS.WAD :P

Me don't have any problems with it either. Course I own a better computer that makes only a little lag with it.

Actually, I use nuts wad quite a bit when I find a Zdoom mod I like. I usually test out a mod on Entryway with IDFA first, then move onto Nuts wad with godmode and idfa. It's become routine in my Doom habits.

Lately only just a few times I have found myself actually using held button activated mouselook a few times to make it easier during certain situations, naturally I don't use it.

I've been playing since 1993 or maybe early 1994. I love every bit of the three-episode Doom I; I've done it with pistol starts, or with -fast, or using no weapon but the shotgun [1]. (That's not a confession.)

I don't save midlevel, and I don't cheat. (Exception; it's permissible to cheat to escape an otherwise unescapable goop pit, but take the damage in the time it took to type IDBEHOLDR. And, OK, I twitch sometimes at crushing-ceiling traps.) I say "and", but as far as I'm concerned, when Doom works right, reloading midlevel is cheating. Trad ports (prboom-plus, these days); no mouselook.

I've never finished Doom II. I can't even remember how far I've got before getting vexed and loading an uberweapons DEH - I might have given up at the Icon of Sin, but I might not. Generally I think I break down around the sheer cheese of Dead Simple / Tricks and Traps.

I don't like any of the new monsters, except maybe Mancubi (and OK, Hell Knights are all right, but they're just baby Barons), although I'm torn between the chaingunner and the pain elemental for sheer loathing; and I'm not convinced by the SSG.

... except maybe this time, 20 years later? I got over the hiccup where I lost my save and pistol-started MAP12 The Factory - which also caused a certain amount of pain on MAP13. Up to MAP16 so far.

[1] yes, aside for the edge cases where that's impossible.

I only just completed every Doom IWAD on UV just now (just finished Plutonia, I had completed all of them BUT Plutonia) and needless to say I will never be touching Plutonia (or at least the default maps) ever again (except for the PSX Lost Levels, but they will be easier and less dickish).

mrthejoshmon said:

I only just completed every Doom IWAD on UV just now (just finished Plutonia, I had completed all of them BUT Plutonia) and needless to say I will never be touching Plutonia (or at least the default maps) ever again (except for the PSX Lost Levels, but they will be easier and less dickish).

Now that I think of it, I have never actually beat Plutonia. I mean, I have played it many times from map 1 to map 30, but I always quit when I reach the last level.

With TNT is a different story... the last map might be a little bit confusing, but the IoS battle itself is fairly easy, so I have no problems beating it.

Plutonia's great. With the exception of Tombstone (and maybe Sewers), every level is a great length and it's not too much an ordeal to restart from a saved game at the beginning when dying; no mid-level saves. It's sadistically tough, but in short enough bursts to bear with.

But yeah, fuck Tombstone.

Its interesting how some people consider saving mid map to be a bad thing. I can see it as an extra challenge to beat a map without saving, but to have that as the default way of playing the game would limit the kind of maps you can comfortably play. I don't have a problem myself with saving, i figure if I beat that part of the map its just a pain in the arse to have to do it again because of the next bit. But it does make me think.. you can take it to the extreme and save after every room and in effect its like having infinite lives. It kind of comes down to a personal judgement of how often it feels right to save based on the difficulty and length of the map.

What the game should do is count how many saves you made on the map and shame you with the score at the end maybe. At least that would be useful for save-spamming pussies like me..

mouldy said:

What the game should do is count how many saves you made on the map and shame you with the score at the end maybe. At least that would be useful for save-spamming pussies like me..

Fuck yes!

I think it's those of us who prefer the older mechanics of games that don't like to save-scum through maps. I mean, I will save before every keydoor if I'm new to a wad and it's kicking my ass; but other than that, I really wish Doom had a lives system, y'know? I like my gameplay oldschool.

Jayextee said:

Fuck yes!

I think it's those of us who prefer the older mechanics of games that don't like to save-scum through maps. I mean, I will save before every keydoor if I'm new to a wad and it's kicking my ass; but other than that, I really wish Doom had a lives system, y'know? I like my gameplay oldschool.

I think it is also down to how you enjoy playing the game. Not saving makes it quite a tense experience where you have to play quite conservatively and I can see the appeal of that, but I like to rush around recklessly like rambo spraying bullets (and consequently eating them).

I think it would be good to score not only the number of saves, but also the number of deaths. In fact that would be a more useful number for me.

Jayextee said:

Fuck yes!

A lives system, implemented in some sort of way, would be cool. Would add some more excitement to secrets, for sure. Maybe make it so that when you die, you can hit the use key to use a life (maybe with a second or two of invulnerability in case you got swarmed) or hit fire to restart the level with what you entered it with, or the classic pistol and 50 bullets; both however keep your lives. That way, in the case of pistol start, you can save them for a grueling map later on rather than waste it on a stupid fumble or outside problem that happened early on. I know Vaecrius's mod "Make it Snappy!" changes soulspheres and megaspheres to give you lives instead of health, so when you die you re-spawn back at the map start, for better or for worse; sometimes finding yourself locked out from the rest of the map.

mouldy said:

I think it is also down to how you enjoy playing the game. Not saving makes it quite a tense experience where you have to play quite conservatively and I can see the appeal of that, but I like to rush around recklessly like rambo spraying bullets (and consequently eating them).

THIS.