Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I have been making secret Doom E1 vanilla maps that have never seen daylight due to the fact that they sucked. Also, some Doom 2 vanilla maps I have made for the sole purpose of getting the hang of vanilla mapping were made but all that remains of them are empty and corrupt .wad files (XWE can suck a dick for doing that)...

Patch93 said:

Revenants would be so much better if their rockets did not home onto you.

What is this heresy?

Patch93 said:

Hello, yet another imp clone with different stats.

Patch93 said:

At least their not as bad as Vores

Da Werecat said:

Hello, yet another imp clone with different stats.

Revenants' rockets are about as powerful as the ones shot from Cyberdemons, they run much faster than Imps and have a much more dangerous melee attack so I don't see how they would be too similar to Imps if their rockets didn't home on players. Besides, aren't Hell Knights pretty much just clones of Barons with less health?

Patch93 said:

If you mean Arch-Viles then I'm gonna have to disagree, they really aren't that bad once you know how to avoid their flame attacks by ducking behind walls.

Vores are from Quake and they are an absolute pain in the arse with constant homing missiles.

Patch93 said:

Revenants' rockets are about as powerful as the ones shot from Cyberdemons

A severe overstatement.

Besides, aren't Hell Knights pretty much just clones of Barons with less health?

Barons are imp clones too. With different stats.

That revenant projectiles sometimes doggedly track the player is what makes that monster so interesting. Its relatively high speed, relatively low HP, and deceptively player-sized hitbox all contribute to its versatility (it is probably the most versatile of all the DooM II additions as far as the number of different roles it can fill), but if it just used the default attack behavior of 'fire a basic projectile unerringly at the player's position at this exact moment in time' there really wouldn't be much point in having it (at least beyond the purely aesthetic), especially not with Doom II's other bestiary additions left intact--remember, the different monsters' abilities should also be considered for how they could contribute to a mixed encounter, not just in a vacuum or homogeneous group.

Demon of the Well said:

That revenant projectiles sometimes doggedly track the player is what makes that monster so interesting. Its relatively high speed, relatively low HP, and deceptively player-sized hitbox all contribute to its versatility (it is probably the most versatile of all the DooM II additions as far as the number of different roles it can fill), but if it just used the default attack behavior of 'fire a basic projectile unerringly at the player's position at this exact moment in time' there really wouldn't be much point in having it (at least beyond the purely aesthetic), especially not with Doom II's other bestiary additions left intact--remember, the different monsters' abilities should also be considered for how they could contribute to a mixed encounter, not just in a vacuum or homogeneous group.

THIS, exactly this.

Pretty much this. It's a nice feeling when you get to learn how to dodge and outmaneuver homing missiles, just like it feels nice when you finally manage to two-shot a cybie with a BFG. It brings more of a learning curve to the game, it shows skill when you can pull it off. Even if you're not there yet, it also makes demos more attractive to watch.

Da Werecat said:

Barons are imp clones too. With different stats.

My first reaction of the barons in E1M8, while using iddqd was ''they're like imps but take longer to kill''.

Thinking about it, I suppose I'll just have to confess that I don't really care for Hexen. I swear the random wandering around - hoping to find the obscure switch, key or door necessary to make any progress - that some people claim is why modern games are better than Doom is exacerbated in this one. I almost never feel like I know where to go. Combat never feels quite as good as it did in Doom or Heretic, either (maybe I'll have more luck with the Cleric, but not really feeling the Fighter or Mage). I generally feel exhausted by it all by the end of the first hub.

Tried Deathkings out last night, but I was kind of exhausted by it by the third level of the first hub (counting the initial, pre-hub map as the first). Doesn't help that the game seems to randomly and somewhat arbitrarily spawn Afrits everywhere every few minutes, which is rather annoying.

Hexen II is similar. Fun for a few levels, but then I quickly realize I haven't the foggiest idea where I'm going, and end up getting stuck quicker than I do in any Doom or Quake map.

I really like what it brought to Doom mapping, of course - ACS and polyobjects are quite nice to have - but the games themselves, I don't know if I'll ever see to completion.

I really enjoyed the original Hexen. I think especially the music is of exceptional quality. Some of the maps are pretty dark and intimidating - in general, I love Hexen, despite the unsophisticated graphics. I do agree that the nature of the hub system means that sometimes, you're running around not knowing what to do. A few hints (small at least) would have helped.

When you think about it Hexen's graphics do seem to be more consistent than Doom's in a sense.

After playing Hexen coop, returning to the single player feels bland. The game is more lively with multiple different player classes at the same time teamworking in certain positions. Plus the gameplay becomes more challenging when attempting a zero-death playthrough, avoiding friendlyfire and saving frequently.

I think Hexen's great, no surprise, it's got a lot of atmosphere and it's just fun to play. Definitely some wandery bits, they could have done a better job of helping the player out in places. The second hub is really good for giving the player an idea of what they need to do and having not too many obscure switch hunts, I think. Graphics are definitely consistent apart from that ugly church bell sprite.

Deathkings works a bit differently, they really overdo it with the respawning enemies at times. If you try to play it by clearing out each map like you would do with other games, you're going to get frustrated for sure.

Hexen 2 has some really annoying enemies. Those stupid spiders! Those aren't fun to fight at all. Also it seems to lack ambience that the other games have. Great music though.

When I first saw screenshots of Doom in a magazine, it was before I could even read.

So I somehow came to the conclusion it was a dungeon-crawler game about a woman from the future trapped in a medieval demonic labyrinth, and that you travelled from level to level on foot.

Edit: It may have had something to do with the fact that the mag cropped out the status bar and mugshot.

For some reason, Slade 3 would not convert a particular .png I had made into a Doom flat. Hmmm. Did I try reimporting it? Yes. Did I try converting it to a Doom gfx first and then to a Doom flat? Yes. (This has actually worked before.) Was this flat in the Doom palette? Yes. Did Slade 3 still convert other flats? Yes. Did I end up downloading and reinstalling Slade 3 out of desperation? Yes. Did the png convert after this? No. Was I somewhat miffed at this point? Yes.

So anyway, after much screwing around, I discovered that when I had cropped it, the resulting .png was 64x63 pixels.

Fail.

i've kinda gotten into Scythe 2 recently. i tend to like a lot of variety and excitement in maps (esp. when they're megawads) and these felt a bit too conservative and overly samey to me in the past. i also found the custom textures in the first 10 maps a bit ugly, and i was confused to see it held up as "best megawad ever" by a lot of people at the time it came out. i was definitely (and still am) a bit surprised to see how many PWADs are so brown when the original maps had a lot of color variety, especially the ones in Doom 1 i liked the most (some of the Episode 2 maps) which don't seem to get as much love. i did basically like Scythe 1, but their short maps felt a bit less samey and like concept i could get behind.

anyway, i had a positive experience playing the temple levels recently (5-9 i think) and felt like there were some thoughtful and pretty restrained design choices in there, so i might go back and give the whole set more of a shot. a lot of the levels seem to have a feel to them that i'm more in tune to now, even though my personal preference still definitely goes towards more adventurous stuff. also the Mr. X level is kind of genius, so bonus points for that.

plums said:

Since I keep seeing Duke Nukem 3D pop up, I'm going to make a non-Doom confession: I really didn't care for Duke3D at all. I had a press beta even, and after I played through it I thought "well that was kind of neat, lol strippers" and then was basically done with it. Played DM a few times and that didn't grab me either.

IMO the best Duke 3D levels are the ones in space (the second episode), which are the least "Duke-like" of any of them. there are some really cool settings there. Also maps 3-5 of episode 1, which are also not city maps. the city maps are pretty boring and eye-rolling to me by comparison, though some had kind of interesting bits.

tho to be honest, my favorite Duke Nukem game is still DN1.

mrthejoshmon said:

I kicked the shit out of a MIDI composing software for a map and what came out is an abomination:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0s6ucsny5nzej8c/D_LOLWUT.mid

It's safe to say that I will never try that again.

Sound like a really bad prog band decided to die on top of a bunch of instruments and the producers sold the song anyways. I'm not trying to be a ass, but i laughed so hard, i'm sorry man.

Platinum Shell said:

At the beginning it sounded like an 80's action series.

With all the mustaches and aviators included?

KevinHEZ said:

Sound like a really bad prog band decided to die on top of a bunch of instruments and the producers sold the song anyways. I'm not trying to be a ass, but i laughed so hard, i'm sorry man.

I think I am getting better...
... I think...

I haven't beat Thy Flesh Consumed, (I only play UV) DOOM 2, or Final Doom.

Edit: I also had not beat DOOM on the PC version. It was the Xbox 360 Arcade port that I beat the game.

I have a few things to confess.

One. I think "Shores of Hell" are mediocre and incosistent, at best. "Knee Deep in Dead" is base, "Inferno" is Hell dimension, and "Thy Flesh Consumed" is this brown-wood-marble thing, while "Shores of Hell" is actually what? I get it--the base has been infected by hellish powers and it's undergoing transformation, but I am simply not convinced.

Two. For me, "TNT: Evilution" is just weak and lame, and it's disgrace to official franchise. "Plutonia" is well crafted and with interesting infrastructure, which "TNT" lacks. (But still, "Wormhole" is one of my favourite concepts of level.)

Three. While I appreciate Icon of Sin concept, with all this shooting the wall, I think it has been overused. All custom megawads has to end with shooting the wall. This way it's been worn-out. Shame, actually.

Four. I don't like "Doom" music (meaning first game). I think "Doom II" has much better compositions and I listen to them on a regular basis. First game--boring.

Five. I finished "Doom II" only on I'm Too Young To Die, and later using freelook in ZDoom. I haven't finished nor "TNT", neither "Plutonia" without cheats. It happens as well with some custom WADs--I have to play them on Ultra-Violence but at some point they become too difficult. Especially NeoDoom beat me. This point is very embarrasing.

Krazov said:

Four. I don't like "Doom" music (meaning first game). I think "Doom II" has much better compositions and I listen to them on a regular basis. First game--boring.

I very and I mean very partially agree. I prefer Running from Evil over At Doom's Gate, but a large amount of Doom II's songs sound unfitting and/or like elevator music.