Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

joe-ilya said:

I see the slot 23 as a special slot.

And you're not far away to be right. Personally I think the 23 slot is a "do not change the music for this"-esque thing in early wads, which makes people wonder whether they like D_AMPIE or not.

How I have fun with ZDoom:

Load up any IWAD (or PWAD) and activate "sv_cheats 1". Load up any monster filled map and the turn on "God", "Noclip" and "Freeze". Travel around the map placing "Summonfriend marineplasma", then find a good vantage point and then deactivate "freeze".

Watch the battle commence, also sometimes I use the "Take weapons" command and some "marinepistol" or "marinechaingun" as well some hostile demons and the occasional usage of the "freeze" command to get some mid battle screenshots.

Here are some cheap ones for context:

It is really all I use ZDoom for, PrBoom is my preferred choice of source port.

Getsu Fune said:

also, Demonic Hordes and Stench of Evil were the most grueling AV maps for me, out of the later ones.

I confess that I like when people give me map numbers. Names mean nothing to me.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I confess that I like when people give me map numbers. Names mean nothing to me.

Maps 25 and 27, respectively.

It bothers me whenever I see map name graphics (WILVxx/CWILVxx) that have incorrect spacing between letters. It has ever since I found out that Doomword doesn't space the letters properly, and started noticing it in wads all the time.

Iwad:

Doomword:

Also missing a pixel from the border on the N!

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

if a map in a megawad is really memorable, then I will very likely refer to it by name, hence why I said those particular names, they are two of AV's standouts along with Dark Dome. otherwise, yes, map numbers are better.

somewhat related to above: I refer to maps from MAP01 to MAP09 as "map oh one", "map oh two", etc. instead of "map one", "map two", etc. I don't have a clue why I say that but I do.

I haven't played a lot of megawads, including pretty much all of the more common ones that people bring up (AV, MM, etc). I probably really should, but for some reason I just can't get into them. When I want to play Doom, I jump into an iwad.

Clonehunter said:

I think Doom 2's Downtown is balls out the worst Doom 2 map. It can be some fun at Co-Op, and the fights are fun, but good god, once everything on the "streets" are dead, I suffer til the end. It's incredibly boring, and although it's the only map that resembles a city for that set of levels, it's ugly as sin.

"Ugly as sin" describes most of Doom 2's map, because of Sandy Petersen. I never liked his maps very much, but The Pit and The Citadel might be my least favourite.

plums said:

It bothers me whenever I see map name graphics (WILVxx/CWILVxx) that have incorrect spacing between letters. It has ever since I found out that Doomword doesn't space the letters properly, and started noticing it in wads all the time.

people have brought that up to me in the past. I can't say it bothers me much but are there alternatives to doom word? I've seen alphabet images but that's all. Is it possible to get ideal results without pasting the letters one at a time manually?

also my confession is that my computer-based training account at work requires us to use a password minimum 10 characters with at least one capital letter, one lowercase letter, and one number and it needs to be changed to something other than your last five passwords every six weeks. I don't know why it has such high security measures. You can't really get any valuable personal information with someone's password, and more importantly I don't work with anyone who's identity is worth stealing. But naturally people are constantly forgetting their passwords because they need to be changed so frequently, including myself. At least until I found a decent sequence of passwords to use:

MAP01entryway
MAP02underhalls
MAP03thegantlet
MAP04thefocus
MAP05thewastetunnels

only map I can think of that wouldn't work is E3M8dis. Not enough characters.

Fellowzdoomer said:

40oz, how bout E3M8Disboss ?

yeah I could do that. Theres no shortage of potential passwords though, considering all of final doom, or classic megawads or whatever.

40oz said:

people have brought that up to me in the past. I can't say it bothers me much but are there alternatives to doom word? I've seen alphabet images but that's all. Is it possible to get ideal results without pasting the letters one at a time manually?

There's a program called Bitmap Font Writer, for which GreyGhost made a set of Doom fonts. I don't know if that's the latest version of those fonts, so hopefully he'll show up here.

Also, a Nightmare text font.

the music in eternall.wad bugs me, not necessarily because it's badly written but because some of those levels can take a first timer (or an idiot like me) well over half an hour to decipher them and you're stuck with really loud 90 second loops the whole time.

needs a community MID pack where every tune lasts at least five minutes!

Perhaps the reason I abandon all my projects is that they are almost never based on my own ideas. Instead they are usually attempts at recreating the styles of other wads. For example, I play through Marswar, it amazes me and I think that I could try making something similar. A few days later I play something else and I don't feel so inspired by Marswar anymore, so I don't have any interest in my project and I have to drop it.

Maybe if I had Dumbledore's memory thing, I could put all memories about playing Doom wads there, and then I could make maps based on nothing but my own ideas, just like they did in 1994. Oh wait, I don't have my own ideas so I couldn't make anything that way. I'm just a fake pretending to be a mapper when really I don't have the creativity that is necessary to be one. Fail. :p

Memfis said:

(...) Oh wait, I don't have my own ideas so I couldn't make anything that way. I'm just a fake pretending to be a mapper when really I don't have the creativity that is necessary to be one. Fail. :p

Instead you have the creativity for making criticism of others' mapping skills. Double Fail :p

Humanity said:

So... my opinion is wrong?

Probably. I'm not sure you're playing Alien Vendetta on the proper difficulty setting?

TheCupboard said:

Probably. I'm not sure you're playing Alien Vendetta on the proper difficulty setting?

I wasn't even complaining about difficulty. All I said was that the monster spam in some of the later levels in ridiculous.

People won't confess if they start learning that their opinion is wrong. Opinion is an opinion, everybody's got their own. Nothing to be wrong or right about.

This thread is half genuine confessions and half people feeling like they get a free pass to rant about things they hate. If being accountable for their opinions cut down on the later type of posts, all the better.

That is also an opinion whether admitting to not liking a certain something is a confession or not. ;)

Humanity said:

So... my opinion is wrong?

It's fine if you don't like the later AV maps, but calling them completely lazy because there are many monsters is wrong, yes. :)

Humanity said:

I wasn't even complaining about difficulty. All I said was that the monster spam in some of the later levels in ridiculous.

I agree, it gets fucking boring. It's a lot more fun to have some nice exploration with scattered, intense combat. Fighting dozens and dozens of monsters of the same variety at a time is kinda dumb.

GoatLord said:

I agree, it gets fucking boring. It's a lot more fun to have some nice exploration with scattered, intense combat. Fighting dozens and dozens of monsters of the same variety at a time is kinda dumb.

One of the reasons why I can't stand slaughtermaps, however there's one slaughter map I do like and it's "Kick Your Own Ass" from TTV!Zone-Season1.wad, gibbing hundreds of imps with a rocket launcher along with Nash's gore mod loaded is oh so satisfying at least to me.

Phml said:

This thread is half genuine confessions and half people feeling like they get a free pass to rant about things they hate. If being accountable for their opinions cut down on the later type of posts, all the better.

this threads a good safety net for people who have rude uneducated opinions of things, as their opinion becomes moot shortly after the next person directs the thread towards another stupid opinion. If you post your own thread youre obligated to hold up your argument for the entire length of the threads life.

Avoozl said:

That is also an opinion whether admitting to not liking a certain something is a confession or not. ;)

Touché.

TimeOfDeath said:

It's fine if you don't like the later AV maps, but calling them completely lazy because there are many monsters is wrong, yes. :)

To be honest, it was just the monsters usage I've never liked. The level design and architecture of the maps is great. No hate :P