Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

That's pretty much how I play DooM myself LOL. I'm not a huge run out in the open and gunning guy. Taking cover behind walls and playing it safe...

I couldn't imagine NOT popping around the corner and shooting with the SSG without going right back behind the corner, unless the thing I was shooting at died.

I recently master circle strafing which can be very useful in such situations. But yeah, for years I’ve been covering behind corners.

New confession. Just finished a full legit play through of Doom II. (I've made play through's of D2 before and have finished the game years ago but I've always skipped a map and/or cheated)

I also think American McGee was a better level designer than Peterson. (McGee is also my favorite designer)

I didn't learn straferunning until I encountered a map that absolutely required it (the last level of Alien Vendetta).

I played a bit of Hunter's Moon and the feel of it honestly reminded me a lot of what we've so far seen of Doom 4. I wouldn't be surprised of the final game ends up being even more comparable considering it's current pre-alpha state.

Back in DooM 2 vanilla, one of the game demos showing Abandoned mines shows the player taking cover behind a corner when using the super shotgun on a chain gunner. That was when young me was like, Oh, taking cover, it's a brilliant tactic.

My first playthrough of Doom II was not vanilla, a decision I shortly after regretted because I was given the lingering feeling that things were a little too easy in the Icon of Sin bossfight (aiming up and down kinda removes the challenge of timing the rockets when aiming for the brain). I'm trying to correct this mistake right now by playing Doom II with the Chocolate Doom source port. It's a good one. <3

Vorknkx said:

I didn't learn straferunning until I encountered a map that absolutely required it (the last level of Alien Vendetta).

I didn't learn running until I encountered a map that absolutely required it (DOOM2 MAP02, respectively).

A few months ago, I was playing Doom 2 co-op on PS3 with my housemate. We got to Map06, and my buddy got stuck here:

Skip to about the 3:09 mark. He kept getting stuck in that little nook where the imps and the switch reside. I told him numerous times, stop doing that, this is an elevator, look, just follow my lead, and he struggled, oh did he struggle. In my head, I'm thinking, "What are you, fuckin' stupid?!", but of course, it's really that he's not used to old school shooters at all. He played Doom many times without even realizing he could strafe. Very amusing.

I use the IDFA cheat moreso than IDKFA. It's one less key and I normally IDCLIP through walls anyway. That and on source ports like ZDoom, IDKFA gives you both skull keys and keycards, which kind of looks ugly on the status bar, lol.

Cell said:

I didn't learn running until I encountered a map that absolutely required it (DOOM2 MAP02, respectively).

I remember old DOS times when, if you wanted to run, you had to keep shift pressed. At some point it became a habit and I didn’t even had to pay attention. It was a huge relief when they made always run option (in my memory I can point “Duke Nukem 3D” but I can’t guarantee that none other game had it first—Duke was first that it played a notable role in my gaming life).

The flashing banner, flames, and color selection of Post Hell once triggered a petite mal seizure, and I spent the night in the ER.

No. I'm not joking.

Recently I had my first Post Hell thread. I replied and later I found that it was moved there.

Forgive me Doom Father, for I have sinned...

TNT is my favorite iWad.

I love Doom's midi music.

No Rest For the Living's maps by Richard Heath now overshadow all of the original 32 maps of Doom 2 to me.

I felt like Thy Flesh Comsumed... Wait, that's not sacreligious.

I'm now unsure of whether-or-not there are different Doomguys and if so, if they are indeed all clones of jango fett.

Oh, and my signature...

Fonze said:

Forgive me Doom Father, for I have sinned...

I love Doom's midi music

Huh, this is a bad thing? Fuck it. If I was a wrestler my entrance theme would be "Hiding the Secrets," when the melody doubles up halfway through shit gets REAL

Cell said:

Oh god I totally remember that, my first time running was there as well.

Also, I confess that I have never even tried to get to the secret maps of Plutonia because MAP15 is too fucking hard.
Fuck The Twilight.

Diamhea said:

Huh, this is a bad thing? Fuck it. If I was a wrestler my entrance theme would be "Hiding the Secrets," when the melody doubles up halfway through shit gets REAL

Hahahaha, that's right! Turn up bro!

When I was a kid (five or six) I'd always beg my dad to let me play Doom. He finally let me try it. Then every day after, I'd ask him if I could play doom...and if he'd like to watch. After a few days he figured out that I was too scared to play it alone. The barons used to scare the shit out of me.

Another confession. I used to strongly prefer brutal doom over regular doom. It wasn't until about three months ago that brutal doom became obnoxious to me. Smoothdoom is now my preference.

When I was six and playing Doom64, I got stuck behind first door on MAP06, because I was scared. It was dark on the other side and I preferred to stay in the claustrophobic box where the player starts. Doom 3 also was scary.

I thought Doom 3 was scary up until the part with the Demon. I thought that was funny for some reason.

BFGDoomer said:

I have the barons roar as my ringtone.

I'd almost be tempted to do that if I had a cellphone.

Do people give you strange looks when it goes off?

BFGDoomer said:

I have the barons roar as my ringtone.

The encounter or the death one? :D

I never realized the texture errors in Deimos Lab and Fortress of Mystery (or if I did, it was so long ago that I've forgotten). I was playing Doom on the Xbox and saw a texture in the small lava area with the 2 medikits go up with the door/wall on E2M4. Same thing on one of the key doors in E2M8, as well as misaligned and not-the-same textures used in the same area.

I suppose there prolly more of them in there, but I played Doom 1 so much when I was young that I barely play it anymore. I'd rather have more monsters and a ssg, lol.