Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I treat the SSG like a melee weapon... Seriously, if i'm more than a few feet away, I will not fire it. Also I almost never go full auto with vanilla chaingun, it is always, ALWAYS double taps, unless right up in my face

rdwpa said:

My "speedmap" thread, otoh, is at two, even though it has been hovering around the front page for about nine days and a few dozen people have DL'd the wads. This was the case with my first (non-speedmap) thread too, which is strange because noob threads usually attract a ton of comments.

There have been far too many times in the past where noob mapper threads recieve 0 comments and are forever lost. Getting 2-3 people commenting on your WAD thread is pretty awesome honestly. I'm on a few different Doom forums and I always cross-release my stuff so I usually end up with at least 10-20 reviews/comments/what have you within about 2 weeks, and generally at least 150 downloads (as tracked by mediafire, not takin into account the likely more used /idgames links).

Over the course of 2-4 years all my "big" wad releases - Both Coop and Deathmatch - get a minimum of 300-400 tracked downloads, so that's not even counting other mirrors/GetWAD downloading in-game. I'm very content with those numbers, but at the sime time it makes me wonder how many downloads things like BTSX and whatnot get within the first year. My guess would be tens of thousands.

The communtiy is big, but there's a massive saturation these days with releases. As long as people are downloading your stuff, that's what really matters. Continual quality releases will build you a name for yourself.

mumblemumble said:

I treat the SSG like a melee weapon... Seriously, if i'm more than a few feet away, I will not fire it. Also I almost never go full auto with vanilla chaingun, it is always, ALWAYS double taps, unless right up in my face

That's honestly the way to do It, You gotta keep tapping on the LMB to have It aim correctly and stuff. As for the SSG, I see It as a OP Weapon, It's awesome and I use It the most In DOOM II.

Due to the bizarre behavior of the BFG and the fact that its projectiles look very similar to the teleport fog, I always imagined it less like a plasma weapon and more of as a space-time blender.

Tritnew said:

That's honestly the way to do It, You gotta keep tapping on the LMB to have It aim correctly and stuff.

Feh. Aside from my hands being nowhere near the LMB, if I'm using the chaingun or plasma rather than my friend Mr Shotgun it's likely already a close-in spray-and-pray situation. :-)

I was the guy filming Mike12 screwing an Imp...

And I liked it...

Another sin, I think Plutonia and TNT are better than Ultimate or 2.

Doomkid said:

There have been far too many times in the past where noob mapper threads recieve 0 comments and are forever lost. Getting 2-3 people commenting on your WAD thread is pretty awesome honestly. I'm on a few different Doom forums and I always cross-release my stuff so I usually end up with at least 10-20 reviews/comments/what have you within about 2 weeks, and generally at least 150 downloads (as tracked by mediafire, not takin into account the likely more used /idgames links).

I agree. I'm happy with the # of responses now after a perspective shift.

I was falling prey to selection bias -- no sense in comparing oneself to the threads that happen to hover around the first page, which are going to be the most popular ones by definition. Also it seems as if more than half of W&M threads have ended up with fewer than 10 posts (including the OP, who typically accounts for a good % of replies in more threads than not). Mine is at 11 and I have plans to keep releasing maps in it.

And one thing I was always happy about, in both my speedmap and noob thread, is the quality of the responses.

I did start a composition thread that got basically no comments on the music itself. But the honest truth is that my speed-composed stuff isn't good unless I get lucky. :D Of the completed tracks, I think "c48.mid" is decent, but "c46.mid" is a garbage slog (awful interplay of hi-hats and core drumbeat in the main sections).

damerell said:

Feh. Aside from my hands being nowhere near the LMB, if I'm using the chaingun or plasma rather than my friend Mr Shotgun it's likely already a close-in spray-and-pray situation. :-)

Hell Yeah! Though, I think the Super Shotgun Is better with that, unless that's what You're talking about.

I have a habit in Doom Builder 2 (i'm sure there is another person that does the exact same thing) of pressing the right mouse button followed by the left mouse button quickly to deselect anything that i don't want to screw up, but most of the times i do 4 in a row regardless of any changes within the map, whether i've changed something or nothing at all. I must confess that it has become a little bit of an addiction that sometimes distracts me from mapping, and it also creates a lot of unwanted linedefs outside the map.

In Doom Builder 2 I usually make everything a new sector even if I know it doesn't need it, I don't know why I do it.

KevinHEZ said:

I have a habit in Doom Builder 2 (i'm sure there is another person that does the exact same thing) of pressing the right mouse button followed by the left mouse button quickly to deselect anything that i don't want to screw up, but most of the times i do 4 in a row regardless of any changes within the map, whether i've changed something or nothing at all. I must confess that it has become a little bit of an addiction that sometimes distracts me from mapping, and it also creates a lot of unwanted linedefs outside the map.

Isn't that what the "c" button is for?

I've gotten into the habit of hitting the "c" button repeatedly like I'm OCD about its existence because sometimes my keyboard sucks and one quick press ain't enough.

Ok not that it's any of my concern, but wouldn't deleting those excess lines wind up taking more time later? I don't see how that saves time

For the sake of nostalgia I am playing DOS Doom II "the way I've played it in 1994" right now. No mouse and default keyboard controls. Makes the game really harder.

Fonze said:

Ok not that it's any of my concern, but wouldn't deleting those excess lines wind up taking more time later? I don't see how that saves time

Not like that, if i do it normally to deselect it works perfectly, but sometimes i do multiple times in a row just because of muscle memory. Also i don't let the linedefs accumulate, i delete them right away.

I have a weird rich people's problem-ish sort of conundrum. I'm really craving the act of mapping lately -- I completed two 4-6 hour speedmaps in a three-day span recently, which is a lot for me -- but I'm also hesitant to "give in", because I don't want to work on every mediocre idea that comes to mind.

[ETA: conundrum resolved. Execution > ideas; I should map when I feel like it because I might not always feel like it; etc.]

Sometimes, what each map you are building is this: you are expanding on a handful of good ideas. It is up to you to pick the best rooms/encounters and splice them together into an episode or single map. As you expand on your ideas, you'll identify some of your best strengths, and other tasks you find more difficult than others. That's all part of the process of bettering yourself.

Fernito said:

I almost never use the plasma gun, because I think it's a waste of BFG ammo.

I almost never use the BFG (except on the spiderdemon) for a similar reason.

In all the years i've been playing doom, i had never beaten all of Doom II until last month...
I never liked the levels as much as the ones from Ultimate Doom, so i barely played Doom II

I have like 3 maps that I have a basic shell for and I know what I am going to do with them but I just can't be bothered to finish them.

When I am editing them I just sit there thinking of so many things to add, how they will look and work or play but I never actually do anything and end up just adding pointless things to already finished rooms. I can't keep my focus up and I end up giving up, these maps all have uploaded screenshots on the picture threads and people actually liked them but I just can't finish them!

It drives me mad knowing I have these maps that could actually be really good but will never see the light of day, I'm even thinking of turning the last half my own personal megawad into a community project I am that bad at this!

DMPhobos said:

In all the years i've been playing doom, i had never beaten all of Doom II until last month...
I never liked the levels as much as the ones from Ultimate Doom, so i barely played Doom II

This. Exactly this.

I also never knew what BFG (supposedly) stands for until 2 years ago.

I hate how most hitscan weapons don't have any vertical spread. Looks so fucking weird when you shoot monsters and the blood splats are all perfectly aligned. This is why the Super Shotgun is the most satisfying hitscan weapon.

It's all about how it was made originally and how you use mouselook. It makes sense that the guns don't go vertical when you can't look up and down.

Sorry for assuming you use mouselook, but I'm gonna assume the fuck out of it.

Heh, it depends on my mood. I'd say half of the time I use freelook and half the time I don't. The lack of vertical spread is really the only Doom limitation that bugs me

joe-ilya said:

I'm using doom builder 2 instead of the GZ version.

*Sniff* S-SOMEONE ISN'T ALONE, YESSS.