Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Michael92 said:

About me, I play on ZDoom in 320x240 with capped fps. I just love to play on lower resolutions (on possibly color depth), especially older games in its original settings. Also, I do pistol start on every level.

Right on, I do 640x480 capped mostly. Sometimes I'll throw on the 320x240 for that "oops i hit F5" look.

RottingZombie said:

My friend and I stole Doom shareware from Babbage's on CDROM, and that's how I got hooked on Doom

How does one steal shareware?

Waaay back in the ancient times, game retailers used to sell shareware CDs for about 9 bucks or so. Soon as the internet took off, shareware CDs became super rare to find. One of the benefits of digital media being so easy to distribute is that us nerds no longer pay for inherently free portions of a game :)

On that note, I miss 'proper' shareware. These little 40 second demos just don't cut it - if you give a person one hour of your hundred hour game, you're giving them a proper chance to get hooked! id knew this back in the day and that played a huge role in the popularity of Doom and Wolf. Nowadays people just preorder everything from gold to shit, so the shareware model has well and truly been left on the wayside in favor of baseless gambling. Shit blows my mind.

Doomkid said:

Waaay back in the ancient times, game retailers used to sell shareware CDs for about 9 bucks or so. Soon as the internet took off, shareware CDs became super rare to find. One of the benefits of digital media being so easy to distribute is that us nerds no longer pay for inherently free portions of a game :)

On that note, I miss 'proper' shareware. These little 40 second demos just don't cut it - if you give a person one hour of your hundred hour game, you're giving them a proper chance to get hooked! id knew this back in the day and that played a huge role in the popularity of Doom and Wolf. Nowadays people just preorder everything from gold to shit, so the shareware model has well and truly been left on the wayside in favor of baseless gambling. Shit blows my mind.

Oh yeah. Come to think of it, I think I actually have two of those laying around. One had Doom, the other had Duke 3D...

Hell, many games don't even have demos anymore, especially on PC, which sucks. Another thing I miss is demo discs for consoles. Among 4 other full games, I practucally grew up on two PSM discs, and played (and liked) games I probably wouldn't have touched otherwise. I also got my only taste of my favorite Japan-Exclusive PS2 game, ChainDive because of one of those discs.

Heck yeah, those demo discs were awesome! They were like a proper spiritual successor to shareware as opposed to the gambling we have to do these days, either that or wait til it's been out ages and play it at a friends house, or watch the YouTube trailers and hope it's as fun to play as it is to watch.

Anyway, about Doom confessions - I spend more time on Doomworld than any other site, inclusive of YouTube even, of which I'm also a certified addict. So much of my web use bends around Doom. It's nuts.

Jaxxoon R said:

I find it odd, with how much people desire for exploration in Doom 4, that most of the highest-regarded wads in the community are heavily combat oriented.

I dunno about "people" but it's not so much exploration as not being led down a string of set-piece encounters on a linear path. Half-Life was impressive at the time, but it has a lot to answer for.

A WAD can be combat-oriented and still offer considerable flexibility in where you stand to shoot the monsters - not in the trivial "which side of the room" sense, but in the way (say) that on Deus Vult II MAP32 you can pretty well run anywhere in the level straight away (and die horribly), or that in E3M3 a lot of the encounters can be met from any of the entrances/exits of the area they're in.

I'm still using out-dated XWE in order to merge wads, despite of its unreliability.

ofr years i thought that the chaingun's barrels looked like this

even seeing the weapon without the status bar i still have a hard time not seeing them like that XD

scifista42 said:

The "I don't care how many people play my maps" is my attitude as well, even though I always make sure to read/watch/listen to feedback when somebody provides it. :)

You're very knowledgeable with Doom, how it operates and even ACS Scripting, I would be keen to try one of your best. Can you recommend me one of your wads you're very proud of? Unless it is a slaughtermap or designed to be stupidly difficult.

I feel mapping is not worth my time because I'm very slow and meticulous. It takes forever for me to finish anything to my standards and there are many, many other brilliant mappers in the community. Even if I finished a map, it'd lost in waves of far better offerings. The effort outweighs the gratification for me. Therefore, I have numerous unfinished maps sitting in my DB folder.

I feel the same as Job, I'm just hoping people will like what I release. I remember first coming to the community and having ideas for like 5 megawads and once I try starting a map I think "ah that's not good enough."

I'm working on a little six map episode I like a lot right now though so hopefully that ends up fine, depending on what people say will make me decide if I should keep going with this thing.

Job said:

I feel mapping is not worth my time because I'm very slow and meticulous. It takes forever for me to finish anything to my standards and there are many, many other brilliant mappers in the community. Even if I finished a map, it'd lost in waves of far better offerings. The effort outweighs the gratification for me. Therefore, I have numerous unfinished maps sitting in my DB folder.

Same here, except I only have one unfinished map sitting in my Doom folder.

My confession?

I have a few actually. . .

Doom was the first PC game I ever played. (Followed by Titus the Fox on my 286 x_x)

Doom was the first multiplayer game I ever played.

I always hated how tame and boring the zombies were, and now that I know of it, I wish they'd been more like the afflicted in the comic 'Crossed'

My first real art project was to poster print a bunch of doom monsters for a haunted house-- to scale-- and set them up on turnstyles and things with nerf guns for the people going through it. I later gave up when the first printout was horribly pixely and gross. . . .after I had built the haunted house. >_>

and for the finale...

I was dating this person who'd introduced me to a particular lifestyle and basically took care of me (food, shelter and all) for years. However things had to be done 'their way' and I decided I wanted to play a certain new doom wad (I think it was Cold as Hell) rather than spending time with them. . . .I did this for a week straight and when I went to get food I came back to find my stuff on the curb. >_>

Not sure whether it was a good move or not but it's how it went; I chose doom over a romantic partner.

BluePineapple72 said:

I have only played doom on mobile...

This is genuinely saddening to know.
Seriously dude, play it on PC some time.
Get some WADS, play some Multiplayer.
You're missing out big-time.

Never played DOOM in the 90s because IBM didn't invent Keyboards and mice small enough for sperm tails, So Instead I got DOSBOX around 2012 and I found a version of DOOM.

Raymoohawk, I too see it that way to this day. Playing this as a kid cemented abstract interpretations of so much of the content in my mind..

Antares, I still use the older Doom Builder and XWE, only falling back on DB2 and Slade for the odd feature here or there. I know how to avoid crashes in both, and old habits die hard!

I used to always play on Hurt Me Plenty, because I thought that was the default difficulty and I got very used to playing on it all the time.

I didn't know that you could use the chainsaw to kill Pinkies more effectively until two years ago.

I always thought that the gibbing animation for the Zombiemen, Shotgun Guy, and Imps were all the same and you couldn't see any individual body parts until I saw the Imp's head in its gibbed state.

I keep insisting that E1M1 is based off 02:00 from Read Between the Lies by Slayer.

I always wondered why Doomguy never reloaded his weapons.

I used to only type in iddqd and idkfa and would never really play legit until a couple years ago.

For a while I only used 3D models for Doom and kept bitching and complaining for hi-res sprites (which is stupid, since sprites are already hi-res IMHO).

I used to praise Brutal Doom to no extent, until I realized that it broke the fast-paced gameplay of Doom and the gore system should have been more simplified like what it used to be (in version 0.7 to be exact).

I didn't know that the Mancubus fireballs were based off the Lost Souls until last year.

=P

There was a point where I thought Wolfenstein 3D was better than Doom (Despite me playing them both at around the same time, on SNES). The ironic thing is, I don't like the Wolfenstein series at all anymore.

I barely even play Doom or any other game. I mostly make stuff for it, such as write programs, or attempt to map for it. Any time that I start to play Doom to "relieve stress" ends up in an intentional "Quit Game".

Sometimes when I feel like adventuring I do start a longer Doom session however, but I hate how I can "die" in this game and waste my time. And I also hate cheating, so "resurrect" and even save-scumming is out of the question. And the worst waste of my time is fooling around with my favourite gameplay modifications replaying IWAD maps. Much better would be to play new WADs, as long as I don't die and have to retry.

But whenever mister 40oz posts something about Doom, I feel the most motivated to try it again. He has that power. Confessions by me such as this also help.

I'd love to have the inspiration to finish making a vanilla/limit removing Doom 1 megawad with no new resources besides maps. Then Doom 2. Then Heretic. Then Hexen.

raymoohawk said:

ofr years i thought that the chaingun's barrels looked like this

http://i.imgur.com/OooO1IW.png

even seeing the weapon without the status bar i still have a hard time not seeing them like that XD

Wait, you're saying that the reality is different than what this picture shows? What is the correct interpretation, then?

I love UT music and if it were converted to MIDI I would use it in my maps.
ZDoom does not support tracker music. I Luv tracker music. Everything else seems to support it.

Gustavo6046 said:

I love UT music and if it were converted to MIDI I would use it in my maps.
ZDoom does not support tracker music. I Luv tracker music. Everything else seems to support it.

ZDoom totally supports tracker music. What format is UT's music in?

plums said:

ZDoom totally supports tracker music. What format is UT's music in?

If he means Undertale, it's in OGG, which I do believe is supported by ZDoom

UT = Unreal Tournament.

Edit: I literally just found an archive of UT music rips, changed the filename of one to D_RUNNIN.it, and dragged it onto ZDoom and it worked. Either the files were somehow converted when ripped, you're using a really old ZDoom version, or it's some Linux thing.

plums said:

UT = Unreal Tournament.

Oh, my mistake. It wasn't quite made clear, so I could only assume. At least I said what I thought he meant, instead of just answering, and all of you looking at me like I'm stupid.