Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Gosh... I just recently discovered how awesome Chocolate Doom is, despite having it for half year on hard disk...

Michael92 said:

Gosh... I just recently discovered how awesome Chocolate Doom is, despite having it for half year on hard disk...

Yep haha I love chocolate doom it feels so right :) especially because I used to play vanilla Doom so it's nostalgic for me

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Yep haha I love chocolate doom it feels so right :) especially because I used to play vanilla Doom so it's nostalgic for me

Especially when I tried to recreate vanilla experience.. on ZDoom, by tinkering config file really hard :P To be honest it was fairly close, but nothing compared to Chocolate Doom. I guess I did this because of its good support of gamepads. But then I found out later I can do the same.. with something like Joy2Key or Xpadder.

I just tried out some Chocolate Doom and it made me motion sick. :( I don't know whether it's the, I assume, 35 FPS limit or something with the mouse or the very low resolution. Or maybe I just can't handle the oldschool, who knows.

I prefer PrBoom+ over Chocolate Doom. It feels so perfect and classic.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I don't know what "degreeless mode" means other than it being Doom's name for God mode.

"IDDQD" was a reference to an inside joke about an imaginary fraternity, Delta Q Delta, where you dropped out of classes (thereby getting a "Q" on your transcript) rather than failing them. So "degreelessness mode" is a joke that as a member of Delta Q Delta, you never earn a college degree.

rileymartin said:

I just tried out some Chocolate Doom and it made me motion sick. :( I don't know whether it's the, I assume, 35 FPS limit or something with the mouse or the very low resolution. Or maybe I just can't handle the oldschool, who knows.

You'll have a hard time with Marathon then.

finally switched over to gzdb from db2. I persisted under the assumption that I didn't need the new (presumably zdoom-centric) features, but hot damn all the small little improvements make it such a nicer editor to use in general.

edit: I almost feel like this thing should just be called db3, or something :p

Ribbiks said:

finally switched over to gzdb from db2. I persisted under the assumption that I didn't need the new (presumably zdoom-centric) features, but hot damn all the small little improvements make it such a nicer editor to use in general.

edit: I almost feel like this thing should just be called db3, or something :p

Welcome to the dark side. May your productivity be forever increased, and you shall bless us plebians with designs from thing greatness.

Also yea, "GZDB" is an annoying name. Really wish it would just become DB3 myself.

If Erik Alm were to appear out of nowhere and release a completed Scythe X it would invoke an even bigger shitstorm in the community then the one John Romeros recent maps created.

Dunno, Scythe X feels less "big time" than Scythe 2. Small humble maps, flowy for sure but not like WOOOW (which was my reaction to all these amazing settings, castles and adventure maps in Scythe 2).

Crunchynut44 said:

If Erik Alm were to appear out of nowhere and release a completed Scythe X it would invoke an even bigger shitstorm in the community then the one John Romeros recent maps created.

Scythe X is an amazing piece of work. I have been waiting for its future episodes for many years now.

BTW I would be more exited if Dutch Devil were to release a map set based on his Total Control, if DoomMAD were to release a map set based on his Rusted Turmoil, If Kristus finished his Hexen project and if Agent Spork were to release another project.

Crunchynut44 said:

Still nothing compared to the release of Mordeth. It's possible it would be a shitstorm of a different kind, though.

scifista42 said:

Still nothing compared to the release of Mordeth. It's possible it would be a shitstorm of a different kind, though.

Is Mordeth still being made?

DMPhobos said:

Is Mordeth still being made?

Yes is it, Gaston? I hope someone emails me when it is done. I can't wait 'forever.'

3 more confessions:

1. I actually think content created by the community is way better than the cannon vanilla maps included in any game created by id software. Just look at all to great multiplayer maps created by the community for Quake 3 Arena. Especially ones crafted by SOCK.

2. I attempt to use the arrow keys to play every PC game. I am tempted to buy a stand alone gaming keypad to play my games from now on. I am clumsy with the WASD, I always hit the wrong buttons all the time but when I use the arrow keys I find the other buttons too far away. I am kind of lazy like that.

3. I can no longer run GZdoom on my laptop due to not having the ability to run openGL 3.0 and not having enough money to start and finish building my new PC. But hey I have the case at least.

I found out just recently how exactly armor protection works. Previously I thought that any armor type absorbs damage by half. Therefore I havent't cared about megarmor to be changed by green armor. Must be dumb, but I really didn't observe the digits in hud that much how they were reduced by taking damage.

It took me ages, but I only recently understood that the Berserk pack gives you increased punch damage for the entire level, not just for a few seconds.

I'm really considering retiring from "mid-range" speedmapping -- that is, stuff that takes 2.5-6 hrs or so. It's really stressful and the inevitable oversights are annoying. If I'm going to invest 5 hours in a map, I might as well invest 12-20 over the course of a week or two. If I want to speedmap, I might as well make sub 1.5-hr speedmaps, some of which have been really surprisingly replayable for that time frame and are infinitely less stressful.

Before I actively joined DW, I thought new-school mapping was the most popular mapstyle of the community.

That was before I heard so many threads about trying to keep it classic and such.

I hate The Pit from Doom 2 and almost always cheat my way to the exit of the level.

I sometimes I intentionally avoid picking up the Super Shotgun just so I can use the regular shotgun.

I actually enjoy fighting Barons of Hell/Hell Kights.

I don't like playing Doom without mouse aiming.

Lt. Shrub said:

I sometimes I intentionally avoid picking up the Super Shotgun just so I can use the regular shotgun.

You may or may not know this, but once you've picked up both of the shotgun weapons, you can toggle between them with repeated presses of the "3" key, regardless of the order in which they were acquired (the same is true for fist/chainsaw on the "1" key, though certain old-fashioned settings refuse to acknowledge the fist as an option unless you've gotten a berserk pack). So, if you prefer to use the basic shotgun, you don't have to actually physically avoid picking up an SSG in order to do so.

I generally avoid the chainsaw when I have a 'zerk to facilitate a smoother change to fistpumping mode. Sometimes even when I don't have a 'zerk.

^ That would be a cool sourceport feature, something which lets you assign keypress selection priority to shared weaponslots, in the way that many ports allow additional weapon shortcuts on the number keys past 7.

would allowing such shortcuts maintain demo compatibility? (i.e. would demos retain the info "switch directly to sg" as opposed to "switch to ssg, then switch to sg"?) I feel like I should know this but I haven't played around with demo parsing in awhile.

also +1 on team never-picking-up-a-chainsaw-ever-because-I-hate-it-and-it-causes-more-keystrokes-to-get-to-zerk

In earlier versions of prboom(-plus too maybe, not sure) such a change was possible when recording and it would break demos.

Also here is some interesting post about changing chainsaw/berserk preference in Boom, never tested it myself though: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1137321 And dunno if it's just for playing or demos too.