Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Linguica finishes declarative sentences with question marks sometimes and it drives me crazy.

I dislike when people post things like that and then the next poster decides to go meta, as if that sort of joke hasn't been done a million times?

40oz said:

Memfis finishes declarative sentences with question marks sometimes and I don't care.

Fixed.

Hoodie said:

What's up with all the hate on The Chasm?

It's not the prettiest map, but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts it's the goddamn catwalk section. It's just too thin. So thin, in fact, that if you save while walking it, then load your game, your position will have shifted a bit and you'll get stuck in the wall and fall into the slime. I dunno which ports fixed this.

Hoodie said:

What's up with all the hate on The Chasm?

There was a thread on that recently that went on for a few pages. It's mostly related to annoying platforming and inescapable death pits that monsters have a habit of pushing you into.

rileymartin said:

There was a thread on that recently that went on for a few pages.

I know, you posted after me in it.

Was I too meta

Meta?

I've only ever played through Doom and Doom II once each.

I've never played through a megawad without the use of god/noclip/resurrect.

Well, since the Controversial thread died I might as well bravepost here. What's the big deal with pushing vanilla compatibility in modern wads? Are there any advantages in vanilla mapping over Boom or Limit Removing? I mean, who's actually gonna play something like BTSX with doom2.exe and not a source port. Seems like it does more to limit the mapper's artistic vision than provide any real benefits.

Some say that when you work within strict limits, you can create something better then if you work with no limits at all. I think that applies to Doom seeing as there seems to be a lot of awful things made when we work using whatever the hell we want, myself included. However once I started making maps trying to stay vanilla as possible (and also I got better at mapping in general) then I started really thinking about how I could make a good map. Working within vanillas limits lets me think about room aesthetics, good color combinations, which monsters go well with others, weapon placement in the wad, etc. The point is, if I don't have those certain restrictions, I would just create a hot mess of things I thought would be cool.

yah yah, limitations, fundamentals, etc. I could also see it also enforcing a maximum level of possible detailing and scale, so on average a collaborative projects would be a bit more cohesive, at least architecturally. that said, I still think vanilla is waaaay too big of a pain in the ass to work with.

Vanilla Doom has a bug where in a multiplayer game, if player #2 quits the game, the game will exit for every other player.

This bug is not in Chocolate-Doom and I never reported it, because I feared that Fraggle would add this bug to Choco.

rileymartin said:

Well, since the Controversial thread died I might as well bravepost here. What's the big deal with pushing vanilla compatibility in modern wads? Are there any advantages in vanilla mapping over Boom or Limit Removing? I mean, who's actually gonna play something like BTSX with doom2.exe and not a source port. Seems like it does more to limit the mapper's artistic vision than provide any real benefits.

Vanilla is sort of like the yin of Doom, I guess. Mapsets like BTSX cater to it because it feels monumental in symbolic terms to bring a megawad into existence that could be played if it were sent through a wormhole back to 1994. The problem with most of the Boom-format stuff like Valiant is its incompatibility, either explicit or through poor balance, with Brutal Doom, the yang of Doom. The purest form of mapping is that which caters to both Vanilla and Brewtal Dewm, the brewtal dewtal of deeeeewwwwwwm. *guitar riff*, essentially.

Does anyone else not find the plasma rifle so satisfying to use, outside of high-pressure situations? It's not the sound, either. I feel this way even when it's changed. Against nearly all monsters, I'd way rather use the berserked fist, SSG, RL, or line up a nice cluster kill with the BFG if I have that. I'd rather even use the SG or CG against something like an individual HK or mancubus, although a baron has just enough HP that I'd find that tedious. There's something really underwhelming about the way the PR feels. It could be the repeated sploosh of lots of fireballs, now that I think of it -- that sound is irritating.

To me, the plasmagun "feels" less satisfying to use than most other weapons, and unless I run out of ammo for other weapons, I avoid using it outside of tough fights when BFG is not available, but when such a situation happens, I'll use the plasmagun anyway, because no matter how it "feels", it IS more efficient than every weapon except RL (which is dangerous at close range) and BFG (which was presumed to be unavailable).

I always feel that i should save plasma rifle for something very important, and since ammo for chaingun/shotguns is much more common, most of the time i use them instead. For me using plasma rifle is pretty satisfying, but i always want to save ammo for it for some reason.

NEANDERTHAL said:

I've never played through a megawad without the use of god/noclip/resurrect.

This. As a player, I should never be taken seriously.

40oz said:

Linguica finishes declarative sentences with question marks sometimes and it drives me crazy.

What's your problem with it. I simply can't understand?

I made a .wad called '2016' that is not a fully accurate representation of the year 2016. Maybe i will post it on tumblr.

rdwpa said:

Does anyone else not find the plasma rifle so satisfying to use, outside of high-pressure situations? It's not the sound, either. I feel this way even when it's changed. Against nearly all monsters, I'd way rather use the berserked fist, SSG, RL, or line up a nice cluster kill with the BFG if I have that. I'd rather even use the SG or CG against something like an individual HK or mancubus, although a baron has just enough HP that I'd find that tedious. There's something really underwhelming about the way the PR feels. It could be the repeated sploosh of lots of fireballs, now that I think of it -- that sound is irritating.

I try to make myself use it sometimes but in most cases using a different gun is just better.

The plasma gun is in a tough spot because it is a pretty high ranking weapon with some pretty decent stopping power in panicky situations. But the way it depletes cells fast like your bank account when you're trying to impress a cute girl sucks. It especially sucks when previous plasma gun usage leaves you with a janky number of cells that isn't easily divisible by 40, so when you've got to use the BFG, you gotta think a little harder to do the math when estimating how many shots you have. I think the plasma gun sound is cool but the way the sounds conflict are annoying. The firing sound and the monster pain and death sounds are cut off by the repeating fireball contact sound (which doesn't really have a punch to it.) The projectile and contact sprites are also pretty big and cloudy which make it hard (harder than other weapons, anyway) to see what's ahead, especially oncoming projectiles.

I'd like to use the plasma gun more often but it's just not that great.

The only reason I don't like the PG is because of the firing sound, other than that it's actually my favourite weapon and I try to incorporate it as much as possible in my maps with of course a more suitable sound.

I found the Quake III Arena plasma rifle firing sound a great replacement for Doom's plasma rifle firing sound.

If I find myself with a ton of cells, the Plasma Rifle feels pretty satisfying to be able to just melt through enemies without the instant kill factor of the BFG, just tearing through them like butter. Sure, it's not as ammo efficient but it just feels better to me when I see even the mighty Cyberdemon get melted through.

All weapons in Doom have their place and their specific role to fill, PG being no different. Fact is, the PG is one of the top damage outputters and does an exceptionally good job at CQB fights. With its high projectile output, it has a good chance to stun enemies, as well as push them back; combined with its damage output it is the #2 "what's about to go down" weapon, right after the bfg, though starting with PG in-hand is usually a better choice.

I strangely like the sound the PG makes. It sounds more powerful than, for example, D3's PG.

When I was getting back into Doom in late 2014 / early 2015 after a decade+ hiatus (since early childhood, basically), two things got me back in. 90% watching lots of normal demos on Youtube.

Spoiler

10% watching Brutal Doom demos.

I'm pretty sure something related to brutal doom is why I registered on dw :p

before that my doom-internet activity was mostly just spamming crash reports on newdoom trying to get some fancy port to run on mac (legacy, maybe?)