Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I hate most of the Doom 2 bestiary. Archviles are a cool concept but a serious pain to deal with and very hard for mappers to use properly. Chaingunners take all the cheapness of Sergeants and magnify it tenfold. Pain Elementals are a pain (rimshot) because they spawn Lost Souls, another monster I dislike because they have too much hp for their size. The Mancubus is alright, and the Revenant is my favorite Doom monster actually, so it's not all bad. I just feel like the monsters in Doom 2 were designed or used poorly.

What makes Archviles and Pain Elementals interesting is that they force you to prioritize them and play aggressively when they're deployed. Let's say you have a large arena with a bunch of different monsters spawning in. Assuming you have enough space, you can run circles spamming your fist while everything infights for you. Then suddenly there's a wave of Archviles and Pain Elementals appearing. You can no longer ignore the combat at this point because the Viles will zap you as well as quickly refresh the monster counter and the PE's flood the whole place with flying skulls that will start getting in the way of your rockets and pathing.

I don't like keyed exit doors, because 1) I like one last portion of the map after the last door requiring a key and 2) I like exit doors to be exclusive exit doors. I know this is kinda fascistic and idiosyncratic as a manner of thinking lol but it's what I preach to myself when mapping.

I'm considering not releasing maps anymore because I despise the pompousness of many players, who put on their top hats and act like it's their role to judge and the mapper's role to be judged.

Look at this shit, from a recent DW member's release:

He's "lucky"?

No, you're lucky that mappers exist so that you can have something to play.

Also, as a general rule, if you want a type of map, make it yourself. Stop complaining that too many maps are heavy in traps or are limitation projects or use similar detail schemes or are slaughtermaps that make you fight more than a handful of monsters ... at the same time :O ... or whatever else. Open up the editor and make a map. And if you don't know how to. Learn. If you don't want to do that, well, tough shit, cookiepops.

I feel like that kind of abrasive criticism should just be ignored unless it's a shared view by a good number of players. Also, neither of you should stop posting maps because I love everything both of you have put out so far even of I haven't said so before.

rdwpa said:

I'm considering not releasing maps anymore because I despise the pompousness of many players, who put on their top hats and act like it's their role to judge and the mapper's role to be judged.

Anything you release is open to critique and there will always be people who may not word their reviews nicely. If you enjoy mapping then I don't think it should deter you. Also, I couldn't find any of your maps on /idgames.

As for that particular wad... It's extremely niche to the point where only the author will probably fully enjoy playing it. Hell, I can't even run some of the maps above single digit FPS.

rileymartin said:

Anything you released is open to critique and there will always be people who may not word their reviews nicely. If you enjoy mapping then I don't think it should deter you. Also, I couldn't find any of your maps on /idgames.

As for that particular wad... It's extremely niche to the point where only the author will probably fully enjoy playing it. Hell, I can't even run it.

It's not a response to criticism wrt my stuff at all -- it has been received quite positively.

Certain things just bug me a lot.

The irony of the critic/creator duology, ironically enough, is that both tend to be mostly thankless endeavors, perhaps even moreso the more earnest the effort invested. I reckon many folks are aware of this in one way or another, and so choose to carry themselves like they've got something to prove, which on the creative side can express itself as overprotectiveness and wounded propriety, and on the critical side as myopic ingratitude or undue entitlement. These attitudes naturally tend to play off of and reinforce one another, of course. It's unfortunate, but it's the way of things.

I hope that won't lead you (any of you) to actually decide not to share anything you create, though--that's a course that punishes everyone except the problem element, on whom the intended message is most likely to be lost. Places like this exist precisely because there are plenty of people who appreciate the fruits of an unremunerated labor of love, after all, even if they may tend not to necessarily be the loudest voices in a given discourse.

Sometimes you read a post on the internet that's so well thought-out and insightful you have to adjust your internet spectacles and cope with its existence for a minute.

Ultimately, it stems from a fear of failure. Our culture is so quick to shelter people from making mistakes that people are forgetting what it's like to taste the bitter taste of failing. What we all need to remind ourselves of is that success is impossible without failure of some kind. Each failure makes us a little stronger because we have the experience and knowledge of how not to do it as we continue to find the correct way. When we see a successful person, we don't see the countless amounts of failures they had to go through to get to that point. Of course, you can only grow from your mistakes if you're willing to acknowledge them as mistakes.

All that talk about failure is cool but the majority of this community just resurrects themselves when they die while playing on easy mode, so I'm sure it's lost on them. I liked it though *claps*

The honest way is to just save constantly and reload when you die. It's almost like resurrecting except you have to actually deal with what killed you. XD

I post something and the "criticism" stuff begins lol, my scars still hurt today XD

Something extra to confess... hmmm
I hate the cave /lava /rocky theme maps with a passion.

Someone else may have said this before but I like Doom 2's map 1 music waaay more than E1m1's music.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who never truly got tired of D_RUNNIN.. I still love that solo!

nicolas monti said:

I post something and the "criticism" stuff begins lol, my scars still hurt today XD

I may have misread something but I'm 99% sure all the criticism related posts were in response to the point rdwpa made

Doomkid said:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who never truly got tired of D_RUNNIN.. I still love that solo!

I may have misread something but I'm 99% sure all the criticism related posts were in response to the point rdwpa made

Lol I'm joking, the fact is that rdwpa uses to like my wads and he posted right after my post, maybe coincidence.

rdwpa said:

Also, as a general rule, if you want a type of map, make it yourself. Stop complaining that too many maps are heavy in traps or are limitation projects or use similar detail schemes or are slaughtermaps that make you fight more than a handful of monsters ... at the same time :O ... or whatever else. Open up the editor and make a map. And if you don't know how to. Learn. If you don't want to do that, well, tough shit, cookiepops.

If you don't want to be judged then disconnect yourself from life.

Ok I feel like this is a pretty big sin....

Here it goes. I have been spending so much time collecting wads of maps,mods, and more. That I hardly have the time to even play and enjoy them for more then my 15 - 20 minutes of testing them to see if they are worth keeping.....

Just look at this.

basically 50+ gigs of barely played wads.... What had become of my life?

rdwpa said:

Your reading comprehension isn't so good.

No actually he had a point. Your whole argument is nobody is allowed to criticize anyone else's work unless they themselves have made a map, mod, or whatever for doom.

You do you realize how stupid that argument is, right? If you are afraid of criticism, then maybe you should not release any maps or whatever at all.
That way you can just continue to think that everything you make is 100% flawless and have no dissenting opinions.

You are under the assumption that all criticism is negative. And IF by chance it is mostly negative. Don't you think there might be something wrong if the majority is sharing that opinion?

I had to weigh in on this because this was an old argument in the Mugen community. Where authors would say very similar shit like. "If you are not making a stage or character then you have no right to judge my work"

Its just stupid. Its like saying you are not allowed to have an opinion on a TV show, book, or movie unless you have made one yourself.

@Jimp Argon I suppose id software is just lucky we're even playing their game then. Like they should honestly be thanking us for even trying their piece of shit game.

Hoodie said:

@Jimp Argon I suppose id software is just lucky we're even playing their game then. Like they should honestly be thanking us for even trying their piece of shit game.

Well after 20+ years... Ya kinda. Also I would not call Doom a pos game. But I respect your opinion if that is what you really think. (Cant tell if you are being for real, or being facetious)

Anyways, I have to say though, the community contributions have definitely made this "age well" over the years, thats for sure.

Jimp Argon said:

Your whole argument is nobody is allowed to criticize anyone else's work unless they themselves have made a map, mod, or whatever for doom. You do you realize how stupid that argument is, right?

Where authors would say very similar shit like. "If you are not making a stage or character then you have no right to judge my work" Its just stupid. Its like saying you are not allowed to have an opinion on a TV show, book, or movie unless you have made one yourself.

I agree.

Jimp Argon said:

If you are afraid of criticism, then maybe you should not release any maps or whatever at all.
That way you can just continue to think that everything you make is 100% flawless and have no dissenting opinions.

You are under the assumption that all criticism is negative. And IF by chance it is mostly negative. Don't you think there might be something wrong if the majority is sharing that opinion?

This, on the other hand, isn't what rdwpa was saying at all and I really don't think he was thinking that way, either. (But well, I can't speak for him in that.)

scifista42 said:

This, on the other hand, isn't what rdwpa was saying at all and I really don't think he was thinking that way, either.

Oh really? Well I guess I just misinterpreted this part of the post then...

rdwpa said:

rdwpa said:

And I am not the only one that took the statement that way either. Do tell me what you though his thought process was on this statement. And how I was wrong to take it the way I did.

I've never finished final doom. Both TNT and the other one. I started multiple playthroughs for TNT and still haven't gotten around to finish it. Even though I've had both WADS for six years.

We're all fortunate to have each other. Nothing deep to think about here.

Jimp Argon said:

Oh really? Well I guess I just misinterpreted this part of the post then...

And I am not the only one that took the statement that way either. Do tell me what you though his thought process was on this statement. And how I was wrong to take it the way I did.

He posted a very specific example of someone's bad attitude, and that was his response to that sort of attitude. Everyone seems to be taking it as a generalized reaction to "critics," but I think it was much more specific than that.

Aaaaanyways I just came in here to confess something: when I'm mapping and I make a voodoo hall and I forget to fix the real player start and then go into the map to test it and find myself trapped in the voodoo hall, I have a brief moment of real dread.