Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I have never really liked most of the unique textures in Plutonia, they just look bland to me.

Spectre01 said:

At least [Plutonia textures] blend well with the id textures.

I disagree. I still see both the camouflage greens and the various bricks as standing out among Doom 2 textures in an odd way. Maybe because I've played Plutonia for the first time many years after I had played Doom 2.

Btw why is there a very Plutonia-like brick texture in Memento Mori? Is it based on the same source? Was it also made by Casalis but not used in Plutonia for some reason?

scifista42 said:

I disagree. I still see both the camouflage greens and the various bricks as standing out among Doom 2 textures in an odd way. Maybe because I've played Plutonia for the first time many years after I had played Doom 2.

same here, they look so odd... the first 10 years I played only doom1 & 2. plutonia was amazing, but I do not like the new textures

-I haven't played properly Final Doom.
-I prefer Doom over Doom 2 (finished both on UV).
-For a long time I hated the super shotgun (favourite weapon: shotgun), because I am the type of guy that saves ammo in case of need and ends up with 100 rockets at the boss level (although you may need only 40). And when I first used the SSG I went on berserk mode and my shells were gone in seconds. But now I like to use it (after I started playing community wads).
-I used to hate the arch-vile, because in Doom 2 they are like mini bosses and appear rarely, so I didn't know how to face them efficiently and I went guns blazing every time I saw one. But today arch-viles are my second most favourite monsters in Doom (after I started playing community wads where I killed many of them) and my first favourite monsters are Hellknights.
-I still hate a bit the Pain Elementals (although I can take them with the SSG pretty quickly). When I got to play <<barrels o fun>> the map's monsters were initially 106 and became 700 after infighting (a shit ton of lost souls).
-Finally, I have to say that I liked Brutal Doom at the start, but I got bored of it fast. It has nice gore and guns as a mod, but it kills the balance in Doom and needs community maps to play well.

I can't afford a new PC nor a PS4, so I bought Doom '16 and started playing it on the PS4 at my mother-in-law's house, who literally lives next door. It was pretty sweet for awhile, but now her son hogs the TV and getting him to let me play for 2-4 hours a week has become such a hassle that I'm just going to start driving half an hour across town and playing it at my friend's house. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but whadaya gonna do.

I like to look through the Spriting Carnival thread over at the ZDoom forums, for GIFs of Doom sprites. If i find some that amuse me (such those fatalities wolfbrf is posting), I save them.

When i get the time, I would also like to use the frames present in the GIFs, and being it to life ingame with DECORATE.

Sometimes I play Plutonia and try to finish any map - HMP and pistol start. Recently, I beat 6th map so far. I'm having real fun of it slowly. Previously, I was for some time discouraged by 2nd and 3rd map as they are quite early game hell.

Regarding this thread.
Ever since I figured how I spelt that longass word starting with D showing up every time I activated God Mode, I couldn't think about anything but an educational degree or diploma, thus assuming that "degreelessness" could refer to not actual lack of universal education in general, but rather the lack of marine drill/training the completion of which could earn them some sort of... degree in armed combat?

Spocks_Beard said:

I have never played TNT or Plutonia, least that I can recall.

PSX Final Doom is really the only version of the game that's worth a playthrough...

When I'm watching demos, if there's more than one UV-MAX demo of a map, I usually watch the longest one. The longer and slower, the better.

Memfis said:

Btw why is there a very Plutonia-like brick texture in Memento Mori? Is it based on the same source? Was it also made by Casalis but not used in Plutonia for some reason?

Casalis made some textures for MM included that brick which is used in Plutonia in different colors and the wood texture called mywood also used in Plutonia

I just beated TNT Evilution and Plutonia Experiment for the first time now, not sure yet of which one I liked better, but I found Plutonia Experiment to be harder.

I had a dream with dobu gabu maru in it for no particular reason. We were on a Skype chat. I don't actually know what he looks like but apparently he was attractive and had a hot girlfriend too. That makes him the second member to cameo in my dreams, after essel.

^I've had a dream before where several of the users here were at some random convention that I was in. No clue what any of them really looked like. I'm sure some of them weren't actual people from doomworld (but in my dream they were).

I find almost all custom WADs boring as hell.
I have only played all the way through and beaten DOOM and DOOM II (multiple times)... not Final DOOM (most of it I have).
I find the PSX version to be crap. (I love the original metal inspired soundtrack from PC)
Idk if this counts but I hate DOOM 3 and DOOM 2016. I only like the original PC games from the 90's.

rdwpa said:

I don't actually know what he looks like but apparently he was attractive and had a hot girlfriend too.

lol wtf? everyone knows what dobu looks like

Spoiler

he's obviously mac tonight

edit: god dammit how do you resize an image

rdwpa said:

<3 I love this now.

hey i remember this one from your midi thread, i hope you'll have serious plans to use it in one of your maps otherwise i'll joink it because it's amazing ;)

rdwpa said:

I had a dream with dobu gabu maru in it for no particular reason.

I had a dream I was crashing at some dorm with like a dozen dudes I didn't know (weird how your dreams will pull "physical" people from thin air), and when I checked Doomworld there was an announcement that Ribbiks had gotten Death-Destiny back into mapping, starting with a map that was a frozen black cathedral in space. The screenshot of it was pretty cool—it was of an alter that had a gateway at the end, and I remember the windows were concave metal-looking things with frost creeping around their edges. Up around the ceiling were two connecting triangles of ice with the void of space beyond them. Had I seen more of the map I would've attempted to recreate it in real life; oh well.