Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I've also never recorded a demo. I don't even know things like if I load a quicksave, does it break the demo recording? 

Also @rdwpa

ZDL is probably the most convenient way to do it.

*Adds 60 character command line*

Yup, can't get more convenient than that! ;) 

Edited by Bauul

27 minutes ago, Bauul said:

*Adds 60 character command line*

I feel like that is one of those phrasings that make things seem more complicated than it is. Typing that out takes like 15 seconds at most, and that's from scratch -- keeping a ZDL instance open means I just have to change numbers and the wad, if that. It's really fluid stuff. 

In comparison, you probably found it 50x more inconvenient to input and relay the 276 characters of your internet message board communication instance with the carbon-based, keratin-tipped cylindrical appendages at the ends of your grabby crabbies. :)

Despite loving the game immensely, I didn't play Doom at all between 2010 and 2016, my interest only being resparked by the new release. I played Doom 3 in that time but it doesn't count. 

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

I've also never recorded a demo. I don't even know things like if I load a quicksave, does it break the demo recording?

saving is a bit more technical, but not by much

on complevels -1 and 9 (boom) you can save as normal.

to reload after a death you have to quit, and then play from the recorded demo.

when the game loads it will briefly start as normal, then load the recorded save and youll be able to continue.

watchers of the demo will be able to see you save, but not any deaths (the demo will replay from when you loaded the demo back up).

when i was first playing doom, e4m6 made me stop playing for several years

doom 2 and tnt are garbage, but plutonia is decent

no rest for the living is my favorite official mapset

i liked heretic more than doom

doom 64 is one of the worst video games i have ever played in my entire life, and i've played scooby doo and cyber chase

On 2/4/2017 at 6:31 PM, Sky said:

I love tracks like that. It reminds me of mappers like Darkwave0000 and Death-Destiny. I wish both of them were still around to give us more dreamy adventure maps.

On 2/4/2017 at 6:43 PM, tourniquet said:

hey i remember this one from your midi thread, i hope you'll have serious plans to use it in one of your maps otherwise i'll joink it because it's amazing ;)

Thanks! I wouldn't mind seeing it in a map (here's the midi file itself). I redid the YT version because it was a bit screwed-up.

Also I did a new speedmidi today.

14 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Also I did a new speedmidi today.

That is a lovely midi. Reminds me a lot of secret of mana paired with a little something else.

I've been getting into music composition recently, out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to make that @rdwpa? And what do you start with when making your tunes? The melody? A beat? Just playing with sounds until you find something you like and then building around that sound? :) 

I'm getting into doom by playing Brutal Doom but it gets repetitive by times so I stopped playing BD and go vanilla, which was surprisingly more enjoyable than BD. You can call me casul. 

On 2017-02-28 at 8:49 PM, Jaxxoon R said:

When I first played Heretic, I thought the mummies were evil musclemen. I guess it's because you don't usually expect mummies to be so ripped, considering they're known for being all scrawny and dried out.

they're not actually mummies; they're golems, which explains them being so ripped. this fan-drawing accentuates it a lot better:

heretic_monsters__golem_by_liamythesh-d4v378g.jpg.7b54a9bd730b2e9e3fbf1433396334d4.jpg

2 hours ago, rickacid said:

I'm getting into doom by playing Brutal Doom but it gets repetitive by times so I stopped playing BD and go vanilla, which was surprisingly more enjoyable than BD. You can call me casul. 

No-one here is going to call you "casul" for playing vanilla Doom. In fact, someone who only ever plays true vanilla using Chocolate Doom is about as hardcore as they come!

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I've been getting into music composition recently, out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to make that @rdwpa? And what do you start with when making your tunes? The melody? A beat? Just playing with sounds until you find something you like and then building around that sound? :) 

About 1.5 hours, I think, on and off over a 3-hour period. With that one I started with the harp figuration and the crystal note behind it, and built the rest of the track around that. I wanted something rhythmically interesting (triplets <3), harmonically ambiguous enough to fit with many chord progressions (useful because I imposed a deadline), and that played both a harmonic and melodic role. There's selective use of duplicated tracks to create a more lush sound (slight delay for woodwinds, some splitting + stereo panning for choir sounds), although it smashes the simultaneous note limit so some parts phase in and out, luckily nothing that ruins anything. 

I think I'll try making some tracks that could fit in Italo Doom whenever I do this sort of thing again. 

2 hours ago, rickacid said:

I'm getting into doom by playing Brutal Doom but it gets repetitive by times so I stopped playing BD and go vanilla, which was surprisingly more enjoyable than BD. You can call me casul

As a matter of fact, many people would argue that brutal doom is not necessarily an advancement in terms of difficulty and gameplay. What's more is that BD makes certain maps a lot easier than they otherwise would be.

Of course this is something you will get a myriad of different opinions on, but from my point of view BD as a mod doesn't offer much to classic doom and other classic pWADs for that matter. Maps which are made for this mod to begin with, are a different case entirely.

Me personally, I don't like BD at all, but that's also because of how much I enjoy slaughter maps, which are unplayable with BD, because either it ruins your framerates, or it is pretty much impossible to play these maps the intended way, thus ruining the experience. The work that has been put into BD is another matter entirly though.

As for my confessional portion in regards to BD: It is one of the few occasions in which I vastly disagreed with totalbiscuits's point of view. I never liked it all that much, and it's too ridiculous for me to not break the experience of playing doom properly.

I hate TNT: Evilution. It's not even about the difficulty, I've now played much harder stuff. I just really hate the look and feel of it. There's something about it that just feels gross in places and bland in others. It's my least favorite of the IWADs.

3 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

they're not actually mummies; they're golems, which explains them being so ripped. this fan-drawing accentuates it a lot better:

https://www.doomworld.com/uploads/monthly_2017_04/heretic_monsters__golem_by_liamythesh-d4v378g.jpg.7b54a9bd730b2e9e3fbf1433396334d4.jpg

But they were supposed to be mummies, and they were drawn like ones. There are even sprites for separate bands flying off - unused, of course.

They certainly never looked like they're made of stone to me, especially considering that they bleed.

1 hour ago, Da Werecat said:

But they were supposed to be mummies, and they were drawn like ones. There are even sprites for separate bands flying off - unused, of course.

They certainly never looked like they're made of stone to me, especially considering that they bleed.

weird. i do agree they look  more like mummies than golems, but strange that the manual doesn't reflect that.

11 hours ago, rickacid said:

I was hugely impressed by Brutal Doom when I first played it, and I still think it's a great mod, but I agree that the effect wears off somewhat quickly. I have found Brutal Doom 64 to be a far superior achievement in fact, and it was also an interesting experience to play some of the Freedoom (Phase 1) and Plutonia Experiment levels in the BD 64 format.

Edited by Summer Deep

I think I've worked out why Doom died for me a couple of years ago. I've actually achieved all I wanted to! The major dream was the seemingly impossible one of participating in a second ZDCMP after how much the original wowed me. It's why I got into the Doom community in the first place and all of those other community project submissions were just scratching the itch.

So that's probably that. Unless there's a new dream I can have in my life (which probably shouldn't be hobby-related, at my age), I actually have no ambitions. There's stuff I want, but not a driving desire. This probably means I'll never finish (or even start) another map in my life.

As a second confession, my site is wildly out of date and I don't have the means to access it anymore. Such is the fate of a lot of Doom sites, I know. Still, my works are archived, or deleted, or lingering on a couple of drives unfinished, so that's no big deal.

currently cursing the way that when I sit down to map I make a rocky space and fill it with arch viles and mancubi. it's puzzling, because my first love in doom is corridor creeping, and arena combat will never outshine it in my casual eyes. i mean i love watching demos of other people sailing through ultra-hard arcadey map sets but when I play doom i don't want to experience any of that stress at all.

i guess the expectations of other players always weighs on you in some form as you create

even if you create a rather demented and satirical form of what people expect

route 1: actively resist making something other players might like. who needs accolades?

route 2: cover your crowd-pleasing levels in a thick coat of irony that probably no one will notice. dispose resultant cacowards in disgust.

route 3: induce severe head trauma. after a lengthy hospital stay and substantial memory loss rediscover what mapping for yourself truly means.

or more reasonably, if you see a map going in a direction you don't particularly find attractive to play, keep going anyway. Best-case scenario you can bridge a gap between your style and another style (++ artist points), worst-case the map is promptly binned for being shlock and you get to double down on going "back to basics!"

Maybe that's just me but I feel Narcissus is Back instrumentals from Christine and the Queens would make for a great Doom level music. It just somehow reminds me of some stock Doom music.

On 22/04/2017 at 3:27 PM, R1ck said:

So many great vanilla PWADs out there as well, and BD won't be that playable (or at all) on some of them. It's always fun to go through a few Cacowards WADs to get a feeling of some of the best that is available.