Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

On 25/05/2017 at 4:26 AM, Bauul said:

I always though GZDoom stood for OpenGZDoom.

But I suddenly realized it could also stand for "Graf Zahl Doom"

And now I don't know if I've been wrong all these years.

If it's means OpenGL ZDooM then it should be this dead one.

:p

On 5/24/2017 at 1:57 PM, Dragonfly said:

Despite it being my favourite port, it has been kinda devalued by one of my friends pronouncing it as 'Jizzydoom'. Heh.

*something about Chris-Chan and Fanta*

As a kid whenever I looked at the preset radio buttons in a car, I'd always think of the weapon numbers on the Doom status bar.

On 2017-5-24 at 1:57 PM, Dragonfly said:

Despite it being my favourite port, it has been kinda devalued by one of my friends pronouncing it as 'Jizzydoom'. Heh.

Wait... it seems that I pronounce like this...

Guest Unregistered account

It's nothing to be ashamed of if you're playing for the first time, it's often disorienting to play in a new environment, especially one like Doom's. Hangar is also relatively large for a first level compared to the compact and really short layout of Entryway.

I can't beat E1M1 on Ultra-Violence.

edit: btw, I've been playing Doom for a year and a half now. I'd now say that old dogs don't learn new tricks and all that, but the thing is, I'M NOT OLD

Edited by bzzrak

I'm very guilty to say this, but I first played the games by pirating them. On Boxer on my shitty old Mac. One, is it ok for me to not have played the games when they came out, and two, I stopped pirating them at one point by deleting my copies and just using FreeDoom. I then bought Doom Classic Complete on Steam, and had to use Wine to install them. Come Feb. 2017, and I got my gaming computer that I currently use that has no wi-fi and only ethernet.

3 hours ago, bzzrak said:

They do go all out with the shotgun guys, making it kinda dangerous with only your pistol. I'd say just don't bumrush, and shoot them at range, once you get a shotgun it's easy pickings.

4 hours ago, bzzrak said:

NOOOOOO!!!!! Don't jinx yourself!

Try taking the secret through the courtyard

edit: Don't just lay on the trigger,  shoot sequentially. It's more accurate that way.

Hi, my name is Joe and this is my sad confession.  I've probably gotten stumped in switch-hunt wads like Eternal Doom and ran around chasing my tail, making zero progress, killing no new enemies, finding no new areas or secrets, for upwards of 1-2 hours straight  Normally I would never confess this obsessive aberrant behavior, but, hey, this is the anonymous inter webs after all, and I'm sure many of my doombros here suffer from the same syndrome... or worse.  Doomworld can be a cathartic, community support-group experience.

22 hours ago, cacomonkey said:

I've probably gotten stumped in switch-hunt wads like Eternal Doom and ran around chasing my tail, making zero progress, killing no new enemies, finding no new areas or secrets, for upwards of 1-2 hours straight.

May I "recommend" https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/0-9/21ratmaz, "Rat in a Maze"? You will be able to get dozens of hours of enjoyment? from it.

-I usually save-scum.

-When I was playing MAP09 (The Pit), I got so mad that I kicked a hole in my wall. (In my defense, the prior two levels are what got me really mad, there was just some part of The Pit that was the final straw).

-Whenever people refer to Back to Saturn X as "BTSX," the first words to pop into my mind are "Butt sex"

Edited by Snikle

On 6/12/2017 at 10:24 AM, cacomonkey said:

Hi, my name is Joe and this is my sad confession.  I've probably gotten stumped in switch-hunt wads like Eternal Doom and ran around chasing my tail, making zero progress, killing no new enemies, finding no new areas or secrets, for upwards of 1-2 hours straight  Normally I would never confess this obsessive aberrant behavior, but, hey, this is the anonymous inter webs after all, and I'm sure many of my doombros here suffer from the same syndrome... or worse.  Doomworld can be a cathartic, community support-group experience.

I thought this was just the norm for PC FPS fans! :D Not just trickier Doom wads, these moments have happened here and there in all sorts of classic FPS games. Maybe not for hours, but plenty of times being stumped for 30-40 minutes that add up in my gaming career. I've probably had upwards of an hour at some point.

That's the thing of the nonlinear and often mazelike level design we love, sometimes a switch or whatever just won't stick out to you, or there's one corner you just didn't happen to look somehow. Worth it though.

37 minutes ago, Snikle said:

-I usually save-scum.

Eh, a lot of people do. I save semi-frequently, but the Postal Dude doesn't like it. :P

Also why'd you kick in a wall?

2 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Eh, a lot of people do. I save semi-frequently, but the Postal Dude doesn't like it. :P

Also why'd you kick in a wall?

It was in front of me.

...Can something like that really have a rational reason?

52 minutes ago, Snikle said:

-I usually save-scum.

-When I was playing MAP09 (The Pit), I got so mad that I kicked a hole in my wall. (In my defense, the prior two levels are what got me really mad, there was just some part of The Pit that was the final straw).

If you stomped the floor instead you would have made another pit. 

Guest Unregistered account
1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

If you stomped the floor instead you would have made another pit. 

Post of the year.

I hates dark corners like @bzzrakhates ports. My hates intensifies when there's spectres in it. 

It took me until...last year to finally figure out how you unlock the rocket launcher secret in doom 2 map 1.

If I talk about the base games (i.e. not considering mods and WADs) I don't think Doom and Doom 2 are that great. In fact, I don't even consider them to be among my favorite games.

43 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

If I talk about the base games (i.e. not considering mods and WADs) I don't think Doom and Doom 2 are that great. In fact, I don't even consider them to be among my favorite games.

SADDOOM2.jpg