Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I keep replaying like first 2 maps for a few years every day, and I am not even sure if I ever completed the game. Like I know all the maps, but did I have a normal playthrough? Not that like I don't want to complete it, but I just can't.

I haven't beaten more than 17 of the Doom 2 maps from scratch on nightmare. Some I have never attempted...

17 hours ago, zokum said:

I haven't beaten more than 17 of the Doom 2 maps from scratch on nightmare. Some I have never attempted...

Ha! That's about 17 more than I've ever beaten on Nightmare.

1. I've never completed an official IWAD (I've done DOOM.WAD up to Limbo map), or a a Megawad. in fact I've never completed a game with a campaign longer than ~1 hour. 

2. I really like the Doom Movie

53 minutes ago, DrPengin said:

1. I've never completed an official IWAD (I've done DOOM.WAD up to Limbo map)

Eh, you're about 10 minutes from the end, then. Might as well press on. (Bah to episode 4).

I've played the easiest difficulty on the SNES version of Doom when I started because fuck HMP or UV...later, I got better...

8 minutes ago, damerell said:

(Bah to episode 4).

ive noticed a lot of people here hate Thy Flesh Consumed. Why? I think its a good addon...

I don't like Thy Flesh Consumed that much too, but I don't hate it...Maybe it's the initial stages of the feel of the episode as a whole...

I'm starting to realize the often maligned city maps in Doom 2 are actually really great, and it's really just a matter of appreciating how to navigate them.

35 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I'm starting to realize the often maligned city maps in Doom 2 are actually really great, and it's really just a matter of appreciating how to navigate them.

kinda hard to appreciate when your directional skills suck :/

8 hours ago, ImpMan11203 said:

ive noticed a lot of people here hate Thy Flesh Consumed. Why? I think its a good addon...

I wouldn't say "hate" but I don't feel any more desire to beat it than I do to beat MAP30, and I certainly think DrPengin can finish E3M7 Limbo, go beat the Spiderdemon, sit back and go "there, that's Doom 1 finished".

The difficulty is all over the place (and of course E4M1, while it can be done, rather breaks the existing understanding that it's normal and feasible to go for 100% kills).

I feel there's a lot of Doom 2 style design of the kind that makes you wonder if Id secretly had an engine with vertical look at the time - if I can't look down it is a bit harsh to put me on a ledge with tomatoes below me shooting up. There's also a lot of (also Doom 2 esque) walking on the edge of sheer drops where falling will be very bad, a bit harsh in a game where you not only can't see your feet but can't even look at where they're not, and strongly discouraging the usual fast maneuver style of play.

I think a lot of people also prefer the Doom 2 monster set and playing with the SSG, although I'm not among them.

On 6/14/2017 at 11:20 AM, Cell said:

I've been into mapping since 8 years as for now.
I still don't consider myself pretty much talented.

I've had Doombuilder on my various PC's across the last decade, and the only thing I really use it for is to have thousands of monsters in line formation get slaughtered by several thousand other monsters as they attempt to break through my fodder army to reach me. 4000 mancubii firing at me without their shootable/obstacle tags ends up looking like an asteroid collision simulation. Armies of former humans with reduced mass turn into the proverbial popcorn kernel once you release a horde of friendly archviles in their midst.

And then there's the pain elemental benchmark test.

@Aldaraia
Not necessarily a bad thing, actually. The emphasis lies hard on how those pieces of work are made for you to test/enjoy, rather than for the community. People may tend to make these; nobody else is interested in or would ever take a liking to them, yet the owners themselves treat them like personal gems. And trust me, they should be.

Spoiler

Problems start and spread quickly, though, when the person themselves is an exhibitionist attention-seeker, a wannabe no one is interested in; people like these either think what they make is actually objectively positive, or are aware enough and still decide to evoke fury. The first group are technically poor misunderstood souls, whilst the others are the ones having nothing to lose, only wanting to have impact on people and communities - aaand amongst these lie the authors of Terrywads aswell.

I love the idea of replacing the Pain Elemental with Cacodemon in mapinfo, and just erasing the Pain Elemental from existence. I'd always be curious whether a Caco is really a Pain Elemental though if I did that, so in the end the Pain Elemental would win!

The reason my maps would always end up with that crampity-cramp way of feel that many of the testers of my earliest contributions have already clearly pointed out is that for some reason, in 3D mode, it just feels alot more spacious for me than ingame. Perhaps this is because whenever I'm plying back and forth in 3D mode, I can just dash through walls with no restrictions at all - and also the proportions might be a bit somewhat larger than when I am playtesting.

With that said, next time I map, I'll totally just make areas that feel so hugeass for me.

On 6/28/2017 at 4:45 AM, Cell said:

"...in 3D mode, it just feels alot more spacious for me than ingame. Perhaps this is because whenever I'm plying back and forth in 3D mode, I can just dash through walls with no restrictions at all - and also the proportions might be a bit somewhat larger than when I am playtesting."

It feels to me like 3D mode has a significantly wider field of view than in-game.

7 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

It feels to me like 3D mode has a significantly wider field of view than in-game.

You can edit the FOV in GZDB or, in GZDoom (ZDoom and Zandronum) type FOV and the value of your choice in the console (just don't do it with a value of 180 plz)

in Doom II-based games, I hate having an odd number of Shotgun Shells. If I do and I'm about to fire the SSG, I use one round from the SG first.

6 hours ago, peach freak said:

in Doom II-based games, I hate having an odd number of Shotgun Shells. If I do and I'm about to fire the SSG, I use one round from the SG first.

Nothing worse than having 1 shell left and firing the SSG to much less effect.

2 hours ago, 129thVisplane said:

I confess that today I had a Doom themed dream in which I got a pain elemental lapdance. I wish I was kidding.

DOOM_TXT NOW.

3 hours ago, CzechMate29200 said:

I love Doom 3, there I said it...

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's not a bad game, just very different from the classic Doom.

And no, not all Doom 2 music sucks shit. For me, the only bad tracks are map 02 and map 03 music. Maybe also map 04 music.

Edited by cherry

I did not know of the Spider Mastermind for the longest time. Most of my childhood in Doom was Doom 64 (with no Spider Mastermind) and PSX Doom (my memories of this game were not as a good and while I do remember playing Redemption Denied once, I never got past the Barons of Hell).

At that point, I still didn't have a registered copy of PC Doom, and the closest thing I got was SNES Doom. At long last, I finally saw the Spider Mastermind in Dis.

And it wasn't until several years later until I found out about the Icon of Sin in Doom II.