Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I actually enjoyed playing Drown in Blood with eweps mod in the Skulltag days. I'm also very very bad at DM/any PvP.

17 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

The Courtyard is Level 18. Are you referring to the shootable door at the start?

Oh yeah. Oops. Yeah, Level 20 is "Gotcha!"

No, somehow I got past that.

No, I'm talking about the exit that sits behind the player at the beginning of the level. That is EVIL.

Doom is WAY too dark for me.  I used to play by typing in "idbeholdl" every 60 seconds.  When I found out about sourceports, I went with Zandronum because I was easily able to find information on how to make everything brighter (r_visibility for the win!).

1 minute ago, Dirk said:

Doom is WAY too dark for me.  I used to play by typing in "idbeholdl" every 60 seconds.  When I found out about sourceports, I went with Zandronum because I was easily able to find information on how to make everything brighter (r_visibility for the win!).

Lol I always play with gamma correction to 1.5 or above, so I understand how you feel.

Because I fail to memorize the maps and their routes on many occasions, if I manage to discover lots of secrets the first time around and later die during the progression (which is annoyingly often when it gets rough) I usually fail to relocate them.

Edited by Agent6

14 hours ago, Dirk said:

Heh, I forgot about that command, thanks for reminding me. I'm playing on a Linux PC and its giving me tons of issues, it has to run in a window, and no changes made under the settings (brightness, contrast etc.) actually take effect in-game, so for the last two months I was literally having to type "give nightvision" in the console every 2 minutes while playing, otherwise it is literally unplayable.

I'm making a pretty complex DeHacked mod and just figured out that one of the bugs I couldn't fix was caused by the player's own projectile trying to bite him. I figured it out now though, and it's gonna work just fine!

On 2/9/2018 at 10:59 PM, T-Squared said:

No, I'm talking about the exit that sits behind the player at the beginning of the level. That is EVIL.

Personally, I always liked the idea of having the exit right there at or near the beginning of the level, so you had to loop back to the place you started after going through the rest of the level. It's not something you'd want to do in every map, but sometimes it would be a nice touch.

This is the setup that I think would be rather diabolical.

The player starts in a room facing a door that opens and leads out into the rest of the level. Behind them is the exit switch (marked appropriately, of course). After they leave the room, the door closes, but it is locked from the outside and you have to progress through the entire rest of the level to get the key to open the door to get back to the exit that you were literally standing in front of just a short time before.

This is something I thought about posting here a while ago but decided it wasn't really all that interesting or important enough to mention. Then seeing as how the now infamously locked thread about a PCGamer journalist who quit playing Doom after Map 11 of Plutonia related to what I considered posting, I was about to say this in that thread. But then it instantly vanished right when I was reading through it.

When I was young, I didn't have much trouble playing through Doom and Doom 2 on Ultra Violence, but I never actually got through all of Final Doom. I can't remember how much of it I played through, but there came a point where I contently said "I'm good, thanks" and that was that.

Having previously read and seen video footage of Map 11, I already knew what the deal was, and just now decided to pistol start the map on Ultra Violence. I must say, that was a really fun and well-designed map. Getting the doors to trigger when I wanted to was slightly aggravating, but nothing about it felt overly hard or unfair. Good stuff.

I probably will get through all of Final Doom at some point, but when I've yet to play through stuff like Scythe and Ancient Aliens, it isn't a high priority for me.

-I think that Sunder is an overrated bore-fest.

-I've only fully completed Knee-Deep in the Dead and nothing else.

-I can't play any map set (Not even the original game) without using some gameplay mod.

...and that's about it.

On 9.2.2018 at 0:40 PM, UglyStru said:

I actually enjoyed playing Drown in Blood with eweps mod in the Skulltag days. I'm also very very bad at DM/any PvP.

Turns out that low level PvP in path of exile used to be a lot more interesting than most people ever gave it credit for, eventually it just died or at least ended up as player starved, and degenerated to "gotta level Leo, let's just let each other win real quick" in temp-leagues. Some people actually spent metric tons of currency on low-level gear too. Those were good times, especially if you were fortunate enough to find someone you could play with at sub 100ms ping. If I ever were to get back at POE and play it at least a little bit seriously, I'd surely update my low level PvP characters or try and make a new one from scratch. Organized PvP in POE was fun, fast paced, and quite skill based compared to the rest of the game as it were and still is for the most part.

I just stared at the Entryway exit switch for over five minutes because I'd beaten teh level while testing my music pak and the first tune is almost 7 minutes long lol

there's a broken pitch bend I probably won't fix

I've misheard several Batman Doom enemies, from the knife guys shouting "doctor!", to the tough melee guys yelling "my darling!" on sight and then repeating "ninja!" over and over, and last but not least the star-throwing guys shouting "kickin' and lickin'!"

I am incredibly angry that the Super Shotgun in Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil can kill a Revenant in one hit up close while it takes SEVERAL ROCKETS IF YOU WANT TO KILL A REVENANT WITH THE ROCKET LAUNCHER

I'd totally release singular doom maps, but it makes me feel worried that if I ever decide to make a megawad, I'll have one less map to include. Maybe I could include that map anyway... but what if my hypothetical megawad is gonna have a theme that's incompatible with this map? What if spending time on this map will make me end up with less time to make a better map? But of course, fruitlessly browsing social media is a free action.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:00 AM, Pyrolex said:

I am incredibly angry that the Super Shotgun in Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil can kill a Revenant in one hit up close while it takes SEVERAL ROCKETS IF YOU WANT TO KILL A REVENANT WITH THE ROCKET LAUNCHER

The SSG is overpowered after all!

Despite knowing how terrible the dialogue and and the fact that I can just read it for free on here, the DOOM comic is my "holy grail" that I'm looking for, for my DOOM collection and I'll most likely pay too much if/when I'm ever finally able to track one down.

I have two types of doom mod ideas:

• Ideas that I feel are not good enough to put time and effort into
  • Ideas that require too much time and effort for me to complete.

Sometimes it's both at once, but almost never neither. I think that despite not making maps with a lot of detail, I might be a perfectionist after all.

2 minutes ago, VanillaExtract said:

I really hate the last few levels of Scythe.

Maps 27-29 are kinda meh. Map 30 is a thing of beauty, too good for this fallen world.

5 minutes ago, VanillaExtract said:

Map 26 is one my favorite maps. It's simple, mindless, slaughtery fun that flows really well. It's pretty hilarious that "Mass Revenant Spam"TM worked wonders in Map 26 but not so much in Map 30.

"Fire and Ice" still has one of my favorite Doom midis though. "You Suck" is surprisingly grandiose for a Game Over track.

17 minutes ago, VanillaExtract said:

I hate just the final map, I get raped there every time.

Yeah I'll never understand why people enjoy such maps and wads either... nice to watch someone playing them (hi 42), but to do it myself, oh fuck no, I'll likely break every single object in the house + the synapses in my brain. No thanks. I still can't believe I finished Scythe before any of these happened.

23 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

(hi 42)

Hello. :-)

24 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Yeah I'll never understand why people enjoy such maps and wads either...

If you practice enough, then stuff like that can become easy. Also, some people prefer the thrill of the challenge over the elements of atmosphere or exploration.

15 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Also, some people prefer the thrill of the challenge over the elements of atmosphere or exploration.

Difficulty concerns aside, I am always a bit confused that people point at these things as if they were mutually exclusive, when actually they all go very well together if the map in question is compartmentalized enough to allow all these aspects to "breathe".

I know someone's gonna roll their eyes when I say "Miasma", but there is no denying that Miasma accomplishes all these things and then some. Obviously not every map can be like that, but at the end of the day it serves as proof that these things can go hand in very well, they actually compliment each other. Another example for this exploration/challenge/slaughter mix is the God machine in SunLust.

I'm just sayin'

16 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Hello. :-)

If you practice enough, then stuff like that can become easy. Also, some people prefer the thrill of the challenge over the elements of atmosphere or exploration.

Well I most certainly enjoy a good challenge but not hardcore stuff like this :v , the casual of me will never survive. Truth be said competitive and hardcore stuff was never meant for me, I tried getting better a number of times but it didn't pay off in general. Guess I'll have to settle down for being a slightly above average player and watch other people play difficult stuff like this instead.