Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Before or after the 1.2 patch which fixed the Broadcast Packet bug which brought networks to their knees?

5 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

I hate when wads mix up IWAD music with custom music lol

Why?

Isn't having the best of both worlds great? Though there are cases when it is a problem, specifically when the 2 don't mix well at all, and fail to capture whatever they're supposed to.

8 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Why?

Isn't having the best of both worlds great? Though there are cases when it is a problem, specifically when the 2 don't mix well at all, and fail to capture whatever they're supposed to.

Because it feels "off" for me.

Also, Iwads midi's have been used a lot these days, so when I go from a cool custom midi map to a Iwad one (especially when it's like E1M6, which is used a lot and I hate it) it breaks a lot the "context" of the wad. IMO, if you only use IWAD music you're aiming for a more vanilla-ish experience, while focusing on custom music will focus on something else to create a new context, so mixing both gives me the feeling the author(s) don't know which direction to go.

Here are mine:

• I resurrect a lot.
  • I don't put Lost Souls/Pain Elementals in my maps because I think they're annoying.
  • I couldn't bring myself to play TNT/Plutonia all the way to the end.
  • I hate slaughter maps.
  • I don't play anything that was designed for (and with) the original Doom engine, except for Doom and Doom II (obviously).
  • I cheat to find secrets if I can't find them.
  • I used the mouselook to kill the Icon of Sin.
  • I can't stand the original Doom peashooter guns so I use mods most of the time (Complex Doom, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, etc)
  • If a WAD doesn't allow me to jump or crouch, I manually edit it to make me able to.

When I was younger I had been on quite a doom binge for the weekend, and got up to use the loo after over twelve hours. Coming up to the kitchen door I was pretty lazy and couldn't be bothered opening up. So I typed out IDCLIP.

Except there's no no clipping mode in life

Quite a time ago, @scifista42 made a post about experiencing Doom (mapping)-related stuff IRL, and yesterday I had the opportunity to encounter something similar.

I happened to visit a public bathroom in the city's shopping centre - I haven't been there for quite a while, and during that time it underwent heavy renovations. One of them was installing sequenced blinking lights just above the mirrors (I even recorded them) - and my immediate thought was that they put "Sector type 3" on those sectors.

-I like the music track from map 32 of Doom II better than most of the OST.

-I don't like the SNES version of Doom's soundtrack.

11 hours ago, Solmyr said:

-I don't like the SNES version of Doom's soundtrack.

I've thought it was alright. I personally like its version of E2M2 better than the PC version since it sounds a bit more fitting

On 7/30/2017 at 9:47 PM, Skeletonpatch said:

I. (sobs) Have. (sobs) Never. (sobs) Played. (sobs) The. (sobs) Original. (sobs) Doom. (sobs) All. (sobs) The. (sobs) Way. (sobs) Through. (sobs) Legitimately! (bursts into tears and runs away)

Heh you're through with it quickly,  and it's fun

doom (and especially e4) are really annoying to play through if youre trying to go saveless; legitimately irritating, especially that e4 (i think?) map with the cyberdemon at the end and the 4 way teleporter pillar in the centre of the blood pool >.<

On 7/21/2018 at 1:50 PM, Cell said:

Quite a time ago, @scifista42 made a post about experiencing Doom (mapping)-related stuff IRL, and yesterday I had the opportunity to encounter something similar.

I happened to visit a public bathroom in the city's shopping centre - I haven't been there for quite a while, and during that time it underwent heavy renovations. One of them was installing sequenced blinking lights just above the mirrors (I even recorded them) - and my immediate thought was that they put "Sector type 3" on those sectors.

About 6 months ago, I was driving through town one evening and I was stopped at a traffic light. Nearby there was a store that one had a streetlight in the park lot. The light was flickering, but it was coming on full strength and going out and then repeating. It flashed probably about once a second. When it was on, the area around the the light was bright. When it was off, it was almost completely dark.

I thought something like, "So that's what Doom looks like in the real world."

3 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

doom (and especially e4) are really annoying to play through if youre trying to go saveless; legitimately irritating, especially that e4 (i think?) map with the cyberdemon at the end and the 4 way teleporter pillar in the centre of the blood pool >.<

The original Doom doesn't have an e4. This is not mere pedantry, telling you something you already know; if Skeletonpatch hasn't played the original Doom all the way through, they shouldn't be put off by e4. e1-3 are fine without in-level saving; I've always thought they were designed without quicksaving in mind.

And I'm a proud idsavscummer.

(Well, maybe not so much, but then video games hate me so it's no big deal, got used to this).

8 hours ago, damerell said:

The original Doom doesn't have an e4. This is not mere pedantry, telling you something you already know; if Skeletonpatch hasn't played the original Doom all the way through, they shouldn't be put off by e4. e1-3 are fine without in-level saving; I've always thought they were designed without quicksaving in mind.

theyre fine, but that doesnt make them fun, imo

18 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

theyre fine, but that doesnt make them fun, imo

I don't see why (of course fun is highly subjective, yes); _I_ think they're fun played saveless. E1-3 are almost entirely devoid of the sort of deathtrap that goes hand in hand with quicksaving; one or two inescapable goo pits, a handful of slow crushers and the rising floor in E2M4.

1. I haven't actually done a full playthrough of DOOM 2

but that is mostly because

2. I hate almost every level in DOOM 2

3. I like plasma rifle

4. I hate brutal doom

5. I don't like UV

6. I always wonder why demons don't have private parts...  don't act like you haven't.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:26 AM, BLλZING_DUST said:

Here are mine:

• I resurrect a lot.
  • I don't put Lost Souls/Pain Elementals in my maps because I think they're annoying.
  • I couldn't bring myself to play TNT/Plutonia all the way to the end.
  • I hate slaughter maps.
  • I don't play anything that was designed for (and with) the original Doom engine, except for Doom and Doom II (obviously).
  • I cheat to find secrets if I can't find them.
  • I used the mouselook to kill the Icon of Sin.
  • I can't stand the original Doom peashooter guns so I use mods most of the time (Complex Doom, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, etc)
  • If a WAD doesn't allow me to jump or crouch, I manually edit it to make me able to.

1. How can you hate a slaughter map!?

2. You shouldn't be ashamed of looking up to kill Icon of Sin, or getting jump and crouch.

4 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

2. You shouldn't be ashamed of looking up to kill Icon of Sin, or getting jump and crouch.

Hopefully Question 1 doesn't derail the thread (however briefly) with the love slaughter vs. hate slaughter crowd. I've said it before: if you don't like slaughter, fine, don't play slaughter maps, and if you do like slaughter, fine, then play slaughter maps. That should be the end of the story, but it never seems to be.

As for your second point, that's one of the issues that Map 30 has with modern source ports that have freelook. It's trivial to defeat the Icon of Sin with freelook enabled because you can just aim upward and fire rockets as soon as you appear in front of the IoS. Map 30 functioned as a challenge back when all Doomguy could do was look straight.

It's sort of like saying that if I were putting up a fence and had access to a power auger, I should be ashamed that I'm using that auger because all my grandfather had was a manual post hole digger and he still got his fence put up. I can still use the post hole digger if I want, at the same time, I'm sure my grandfather would've used the power auger if had one.

Same thing with freelook. If it had been around in 1994, players would've used it against the Icon of Sin if the they could. Which means that I'm sure that Map 30 would've been structured differently were freelook around in 1994.

2 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

How can you love one? It's lazy level design, first of all. Second, it's nothing but a clusterfuck - all you need to do is just shoot plasma/rockets at a crowd and wow, what an amusement. Doesn't take even half a brain to finish a slaughter map, and it certainly doesn't take even half a brain to make one either.

9 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

How can you love one? It's lazy level design, first of all. Second, it's nothing but a clusterfuck - all you need to do is just shoot plasma/rockets at a crowd and wow, what an amusement. Doesn't take even half a brain to finish a slaughter map, and it certainly doesn't take even half a brain to make one either.

Spoiler

Video spoilered for those with metered connections.

3. I like plasma rifle

4. I hate brutal doom

5. I don't like UV

6. I always wonder why demons don't have private parts...  don't act like you haven't.

What do any of these have to do with not completing Doom II?

Response to 3; like the plasma rifle. The plasma rifle is in Doom II.

Response to 4; don't play Brutal Doom.

Response to 5; don't play UV.

Response to 6; refer to the spoilered video above.

43 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

OK. Wow. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you will find that the slaughter genre as a whole is far more varied than what you described.

Personally, I don't enjoy the slaughter genre that much and there are times I've watched slaughter maps being played and thought that it doesn't look something I would find fun. And there are certainly grindy slaughter maps out there that are similar to what you described. However, to lump all slaughter maps into that category is to wrongly paint everything with the same broad brush.

It's like saying that because when you try to cook steak or broccoli or scrambled eggs, they come out overcooked or mushy, that it's impossible to cook steak or broccoli or scrambled eggs and have them be delicious.

Look, I'm not a connoisseur of the slaughter genre nor do I claim to be. There are plenty of others here who have a much more well-informed opinion on the genre than mine. However, your generalization about the fun of ALL slaughter maps, the technical skill required to finish them, and the skill required to make a good one is off base.

@Aquila Chrysaetos

Nice video.

1 hour ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

Second, it's nothing but a clusterfuck

Hmm I wonder why. 

On 7/14/2018 at 6:26 AM, BLλZING_DUST said: