Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

OK. Wow. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you will find that the slaughter genre as a whole is far more varied than what you described.

Personally, I don't enjoy the slaughter genre that much and there are times I've watched slaughter maps being played and thought that it doesn't look something I would find fun. And there are certainly grindy slaughter maps out there that are similar to what you described. However, to lump all slaughter maps into that category is to wrongly paint everything with the same broad brush.

It's like saying that because when you try to cook steak or broccoli or scrambled eggs, they come out overcooked or mushy, that it's impossible to cook steak or broccoli or scrambled eggs and have them be delicious.

Look, I'm not a connoisseur of the slaughter genre nor do I claim to be. There are plenty of others here who have a much more well-informed opinion on the genre than mine. However, your generalization about the fun of ALL slaughter maps, the technical skill required to finish them, and the skill required to make a good one is off base.

@Aquila Chrysaetos

Nice video.

Generally, I'm not turned on by the idea of spamming projectiles at huge crowds. Not hard to understand, nor is it hard to accept. Call it an acquired taste, call it what you want, I simply dislike them.

4 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

6. I always wonder why demons don't have private parts...  don't act like you haven't.

I'm pretty sure the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental both have assholes and pussies.

Spoiler

dude.png.c5ce258d9381a878b9aab85754479283.png

Or maybe it produces some kinda gas that allows them to levitate.

On 7/14/2018 at 6:26 AM, BLλZING_DUST said:

I can't stand the original Doom peashooter guns so I use mods most of the time (Complex Doom, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, etc)

Same here, my least favorite Doom weapon aside from the fist. It's so slow, barely does any damage, and has a pretty large and random spread.

2 hours ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

How can you love one? It's lazy level design, first of all. Second, it's nothing but a clusterfuck - all you need to do is just shoot plasma/rockets at a crowd and wow, what an amusement. Doesn't take even half a brain to finish a slaughter map, and it certainly doesn't take even half a brain to make one either.

the level design is not lazy.  

scythe 2 level 30 - slaughter and has great effort

slaughterfest 2011 level 27 - best map ever in my opinion

every single chillax level is beast

and slaughter maps almost always make me feel like a boss

1 minute ago, DepravedDiptera said:

Same here, my least favorite Doom weapon aside from the fist. It's so slow, barely does any damage, and has a pretty large and random spread.

That may be true but I like to kill bosses with it.  Specifically the Spidermastermind.

29 minutes ago, DepravedDiptera said:

I'm pretty sure the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental both have assholes and pussies

Not to mention imps!  Look carefully at their corpse.

The first bullet is always right on point; just click repeatedly and you can get it at almost the same firing speed but perfect accuracy.

24 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

Generally, I'm not turned on by the idea of spamming projectiles at huge crowds. Not hard to understand, nor is it hard to accept. Call it an acquired taste, call it what you want, I simply dislike them.

I'm not a fan of forum posts that are poorly thought out, are full of lazy generalizations, lacking any real substance, and are strewn with piles of shit and smell bad. Maybe those are an acquired taste as well.

• Doom 2 is bad and is only good as a resource iwad to better levels for their cool guns and enemies - Hexen is a far superior game
  • i didnt own doom till like january, i had been playing pirated copies of doom/finaldoom/doom2/Heretic/Hexen for years
  • brutal doom is fun sometimes
  • i die to lost souls at least once every 2 levels i encounter them in - i dont know why but they mindflood the shit out of me
  • i only recently found out about the invisible bullets from the BFG
  • i have never beaten the spider mastermind in the original IWAD
39 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

the level design is not lazy.  

scythe 2 level 30 - slaughter and has great effort

slaughterfest 2011 level 27 - best map ever in my opinion

every single chillax level is beast

and slaughter maps almost always make me feel like a boss

i think they misunderstand slaughter, slaughter is basically a puzzle where you have to keep track of and react appropriately as quickly as possible to everything in as little time as possible controlling enemy and projectile flow. at least thats how i see it.

10 hours ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

But you're also overgeneralizing the genre, it's more than just BFG/Rocket spam.

But, know what would be funny? To do an 180 and eventually come to like and play slaughterwads yourself :v . I know for sure I kinda did that ("kinda" because I never disliked or hated slaughter in the first place, I just couldn't understand what was so fun at them and why would anyone play that), but after running into plenty of slaughter maps in various megawads I've played it eventually grew on me.

9 hours ago, _reallyTired said:

i think they misunderstand slaughter, slaughter is basically a puzzle where you have to keep track of and react appropriately as quickly as possible to everything in as little time as possible controlling enemy and projectile flow. at least thats how i see it.

Bingo. Especially true if the said wave contains AV or Pain Elementals :v .

19 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Bingo. Especially true if the said wave contains AV or Pain Elementals :v .

Or hitscan enemies towards the start when you're playing with pistol starts. Slaughter is really what got me to play pistol starts tbh.

There was a time, when I played Doom 1 via ADoom source port on my Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard1230 turbocard. I think I got around 15 fps. 

10 hours ago, Benjogami said:

I'm not a fan of forum posts that are poorly thought out, are full of lazy generalizations, lacking any real substance, and are strewn with piles of shit and smell bad. Maybe those are an acquired taste as well.

Wow, you are one mad edgelord. I've stated my opinion and here you are, barking at me as if I murdered your entire family infront of you. Tell me something, edgelord, ever heard of an opinion? And do you come to these kind of forums so that you can argue about them?

3 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

Wow, you are one mad edgelord. I've stated my opinion and here you are, barking at me as if I murdered your entire family infront of you. Tell me something, edgelord, ever heard of an opinion? And do you come to these kind of forums so that you can argue about them?

We know what an opinion is, and yes, you may dispense yours at will, and if somebody else has an opinion it's the same for them. That said, opinions aren't sacred relics that must not be touched or questioned, and if you have a problem with being subjected to somebody else's opinion on your point of view: Good luck on the internet, you'll need a lot of it.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

We know what an opinion is, and yes, you may dispense yours at will, and if somebody else has an opinion it's the same for them. That said, opinions aren't sacred relics that must not be touched or questioned, and if you have a problem with being subjected to somebody else's opinion on your point of view: Good luck on the internet, you'll need a lot of it.

Well aware and agreed, but I don't need someone talking shit about me just because I have an unpopular opinion.

8 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

True, and yet, I think Dust is right here, Benjo really could've worded his sentences much better than he did.

11 hours ago, Benjogami said:

PWN463.png

2 hours ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

Well aware and agreed, but I don't need someone talking shit about me just because I have an unpopular opinion.

It's not the unpopular opinion, it's the entitled and uninformed way you stated it, as well as the way you offhandedly dismiss anybody's responses to you. Way to make a good first impression!

On 7/21/2018 at 2:30 PM, Solmyr said:

-I like the music track from map 32 of Doom II better than most of the OST.

Map 31 for me, but yeah.  I like it better than a lot of the Wolf3D OST too.

The Icon of Sin music is pretty underrated though.

44 minutes ago, Fonze said:

It's not the unpopular opinion, it's the entitled and uninformed way you stated it, as well as the way you offhandedly dismiss anybody's responses to you. Way to make a good first impression!

So that's his excuse for being an asshole, huh? Good to know what kind of people browse those forums. Is it really that hard to accept what I think of the slaughter genre? You don't even really have to accept it, just look past my post as if it wasn't there in the first place. I'm not looking to start shit here.

12 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

I'm not looking to start shit here.

...but...

12 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

So that's his excuse for being an asshole, huh?

And your sweeping generalizations don't stop there for some reason...?

13 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

Good to know what kind of people browse those forums.

Like seriously you posted your opinion, other people said 'hey maybe there is more to it' to which you responded dismissively. It's not hard to understand that people are gonna see that and make comments about your attitude, which is tied into the opinion you share, sure, but make no mistake nobody cares that you don't like slaughter; what has turned heads is solely your attitude in the discussion of your opinion, which literally every prominent slaughter mapper will agree: if slaughter ain't for you then don't play it. Honestly even on the logic of "well you don't have to read my opinion," your opinion is more in people's faces than the slaughter maps being made and confined to their own threads, so for that logic I would just have to go back to "well you don't have to play them to bitch about them in the first place either soo....."

Point being, most mappers just want players of their maps to have fun and your dismissive attitude goes beyond stating the opinion you have and ventures into the realm of more actively shitting on what people like to make and play, and if you aren't willing to have an adult discussion, preferring to be dismissive, then why post your opinion in the first place other than to confirm your established bias of "the kind of people that browse these forums?" 

2 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Like seriously you posted your opinion, other people said 'hey maybe there is more to it' to which you responded dismissively. It's not hard to understand that people are gonna see that and make comments about your attitude...

I never brought up other people saying that there's more to slaughter than what I've seen, because they're not part of the problem. I understand that people want me to see more, but I simply don't find the slaughter genre appealing. Even if there are some slaughter maps out there that demand strategy, timing, whatever, I don't really care because again, I don't find the idea of the slaughter genre appealing.

10 minutes ago, Fonze said:

...and if you aren't willing to have an adult discussion, preferring to be dismissive, then why post your opinion in the first place other than to confirm your established bias of "the kind of people that browse these forums?" 

I posted my opinion because that's what this thread is for. I kind of just wanted to tell the people here what I like and dislike, what kind of person I am when it comes to Doom, etc, and have small, friendly (maybe even funny) rants about those opinions, just like everyone else here. Clearly, it's not the case.

I don't mind If someone doesn't like 'slaughter maps'  or other genres etc. and express his/her opinion about that (which, generally, is a form of outburst)

6 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

Even if there are some slaughter maps out there that demand strategy, timing, whatever, I don't really care because again, I don't find the idea of the slaughter genre appealing.

Now that comes across as level-headed and mature. Notice how different the tone is when you don't also use the space to reduce the entire genre down to a pejorative. That is a much more respectable and balanced opinion.

That said...

23 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

just like everyone else here. Clearly, it's not the case.

Stop playing the victim card you little snowflake ;p

1 hour ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

I never brought up other people saying that there's more to slaughter than what I've seen, because they're not part of the problem. I understand that people want me to see more, but I simply don't find the slaughter genre appealing. Even if there are some slaughter maps out there that demand strategy, timing, whatever, I don't really care because again, I don't find the idea of the slaughter genre appealing.

This is probably the response you should have led with, instead of instantly being defensive. This is actually a reasonable argument because, while you admit that the genre is more inclusive than your original statement, you don't find the genre interesting enough to explore it. And that's fine. You're not saying other people shouldn't play slaughter because of x, y, or z. You're just saying that you don't want to play maps in the genre because it doesn't interest you. And that's fine.

I don't find chicken livers appealing. You can tell me that there are ways to make them that are delicious (my grandmother had one such recipe, in fact), but that doesn't change the fact that I don't enjoy eating chicken livers, even if there are people that love them. Those people can eat chicken livers as much as they want.

1 hour ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

I posted my opinion because that's what this thread is for. I kind of just wanted to tell the people here what I like and dislike, what kind of person I am when it comes to Doom, etc, and have small, friendly (maybe even funny) rants about those opinions, just like everyone else here. Clearly, it's not the case.

Admittedly, there were responses to your statements that could have been less confrontational, while still defending slaughter, but it is not as if your responses were angelic, either. Friendly and funny exchanges abound on these forums, as do spiteful exchanges. The former type happens when people don't get up instantly defensive, dismissive, and hurtful, while the latter type happens when they do.

Had you led with your argument above, I think you would have been able to share your opinion "just like everyone else here."

19 hours ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

How can you love one? It's lazy level design, first of all. Second, it's nothing but a clusterfuck - all you need to do is just shoot plasma/rockets at a crowd and wow, what an amusement. Doesn't take even half a brain to finish a slaughter map, and it certainly doesn't take even half a brain to make one either.

17 hours ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

17 hours ago, Benjogami said:

6 hours ago, Agent6 said:

True, and yet, I think Dust is right here, Benjo really could've worded his sentences much better than he did.

Compare what Dust said against what Benjogami said.

The tone is equivalent, isn't it?

I agree with Benjogami, here.

I'm pretty rude, it's true. I guess calling me and my friends half-brains brings it out even more. ;) I suppose that's the least generous interpretation though. Perhaps we have full brains but only use half of them to make and play slaughter maps? That's less rude, but still wrong and annoying. I don't care at all if you don't like slaughter, but sometimes the obnoxious presentation is too strong a bait. I stand by my remark that your forum post smells worse than any slaughter map I've ever played.

1 hour ago, Benjogami said:

I stand by my remark that your forum post smells worse than any slaughter map I've ever played.

On that note, did you ever notice that BFG-fried pinkies smell like bacon? ;-) It's the rest that has a nasty stench to it. Hell nobles in particular.

The childish behaviour BLλZING_DUST has exhibited here isn't as bad as the inordinate amount of time he's spent harassing other CSGO players by calling them things like "faggots", "niglets" and "pussies". He also seems to believe that Hillary Clinton is a communist, which is pathetically stupid, seeing as how she perfectly aligned herself with the interests of Wall Street and corporate America at large. "Democrates: BABIE KILLERS!"

If I get a warning from the mods for saying this, then so be it. This guy is an obnoxious idiot.

17 minutes ago, Ajora said:

The childish behaviour BLλZING_DUST has exhibited here isn't as bad as the inordinate amount of time he's spent harassing other CSGO players by calling them things like "faggots", "niglets" and "pussies". He also seems to believe that Hillary Clinton is a communist, which is pathetically stupid, seeing as how she perfectly aligned herself with the interests of Wall Street and corporate America at large. "Democrates: BABIE KILLERS!"

If I get a warning from the mods for saying this, then so be it. This guy is an obnoxious idiot.

When did all of this happen? Links or something?

6 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Map 31 for me, but yeah.  I like it better than a lot of the Wolf3D OST too.

The Icon of Sin music is pretty underrated though.

I agree with that, Opening to Hell is an awesome track but it is underrated and also falls into the "too awesome to use" trope, for me this music is a true final boss theme, using that in any level that doesn't feel like a decisive boss fight or a final level, feels out of place, like map 01 of Hellbend.