Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

2 hours ago, Benjogami said:

Perhaps we have full brains but only use half of them to make and play slaughter maps?

According to some, even using half your brain is an extraordinary achievement.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

On that note, did you ever notice that BFG-fried pinkies smell like bacon?

And did you ever notice that the BFG has tits? Look closely. Once you've seen them, you can't unsee them. Torn once pointed it out, but the thread is now in Post Hell and therefore, sadly, inaccessible.

Guys slaughtermaps are the best smelling maps in all of Doom*.  What do you think all of those copy/pasted pillars are for?!

*A notable exception is "Toilet of the Gods".

Edited by rdwpa

I'm not crazy on slaughter maps, but they have grown a bit on me. They're inherently grindy, and the repetition can start to feel a bit samey after a while, but there is a satisfying feeling of conquest when you finally get through one.

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

I'm not crazy on slaughter maps, but they have grown a bit on me. They're inherently grindy, and the repetition can start to feel a bit samey after a while, but there is a satisfying feeling of conquest when you finally get through one.

Good luck finding a grindy fight here:

On 8/2/2018 at 2:40 PM, BLλZING_DUST said:

it's nothing but a clusterfuck

you don't understand them, and thats fine, it takes time and to be able to actually understand dooms nuances to enjoy them. many of them are heavy combat puzzles that rely on advance knowledge of the game. many casual gamers hate slaughter maps.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:26 PM, BLλZING_DUST said:
  • I hate slaughter maps.
On 7/14/2018 at 10:26 PM, BLλZING_DUST said:
  • I don't play anything that was designed for (and with) the original Doom engine, except for Doom and Doom II (obviously).
  • I can't stand the original Doom peashooter guns so I use mods most of the time (Complex Doom, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, etc)

Why do I get the feeling I'm seeing a cause/effect here?

26 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

you don't understand them, and thats fine, it takes time and to be able to actually understand dooms nuances to enjoy them. many of them are heavy combat puzzles that rely on advance knowledge of the game. many casual gamers hate slaughter maps.

Yeah I've guessed as much.

12 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Why do I get the feeling I'm seeing a cause/effect here?

I guess you can link it that way too but the general idea of slaughter maps don't interest me either.

2 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Why is this thread now in EE?

Because our deviant confessions are too graphic for the cute Pain Elementals that view the forum. 

Well I'm not a casual Doomer and I don't enjoy slaughter maps, they just bore me.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:42 PM, Avoozl said:

Well I'm not a casual Doomer and I don't enjoy slaughter maps, they just bore me.

bore? hmm, i can see 'frustrate' or maybe 'overwhelm' as thats how it was for me but i personally i cannot see boredom in a slaughter map, what bores you with them?

3 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

stop it >.<

+1

The thing that is boring is the fact this conversation has been had a thousand times. 

Slaughtermaps are fine, I can accept the fact that I suck if I can't play them all. Gotta be in the mood for them though, obviously.

can I confess that I want to see this thread back in Doom General? also have basically stopped playing anything important.

13 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i think if anyone mentions the "s" word outside of introducing their new wad in "Wads & Mods" they should be banned for a week

Sounds reasonable given this website.

1 hour ago, _reallyTired said:

bore? hmm, i can see 'frustrate' or maybe 'overwhelm' as thats how it was for me but i personally i cannot see boredom in a slaughter map, what bores you with them?

Probably their inherent grindy nature.

I mean, a large map with over 10.000 would eventually get boring if its pacing is very slow. I can easily imagine Decimal Error from SF2 here, but luckily that map was designed in such a way that it can be finished very quick. The point is, killing waves of demons simply gets both boring and tiring after a while.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:42 PM, Avoozl said:

Funny, I'm a casual who likes 'em :v .

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Probably their inherent grindy nature.

I mean, a large map with over 10.000 would eventually get boring if its pacing is very slow. I can easily imagine Decimal Error from SF2 here, but luckily that map was designed in such a way that it can be finished very quick.

I just googled me a definition of the word "inherent", because at this point I felt a little unsure as to whether or not I actually knew what that word means.

It turns out it means precisely what I think it does, so it's probably a good time to try and be a little more precise when you're talking about a whole genre of anything you can think of, really.

Either slaughtermaps are all inherently grindy (which means quite literally that each slaughtermap is grindy because it's a slaughtermap), or a slaughtermap is grindy due to its very own pace (which is not the pace of every other slaughtermap that exists). And don't get me started on such things as subjective perception, I'm just saying.

As far as I'm concerned, it would be tremendously helpful if at some point people were a little more careful with these generalizations, which for the record can easily be proven to be unjustified WRT slaughter as a genre.

Let's remind ourselves real quick that it is also due to these generalizations that this thread has been moved to EE, which is basically the last stop prior to post hell, in my opinion anyway.

The beauty of Doom is that it's accommodating of people with diverse tastes -- whatever you like, you might find something to enjoy. For example, some people like playing slaughtermaps. On the other hand, some people like arguing on the internet about slaughtermaps.

I was looking for this thread,

I keep forgetting to put decoration things in my maps, like corpses and such. I dunno, they do add more to a map visually than through gameplay, but I just don't think to put much of them in, if any.

I'd say slaughter is the genre of Doom maps that wrenches out every ounce of mechanical depth the game has to offer. It's comparable to perfect runs of challenge platformers, or combo mads of character action games. It is definitely not meant for everyone and that's fine since there are thousands of other Doom maps and mods on offer.

Also, inb4 "Artificial Difficulty"