Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

11 hours ago, SGS Man said:

Also, inb4 "Artificial Difficulty"

Can't kill the entire map around a corner or a choke, Fuck the mapper learn to better design encounters.

Last week (I think?) when a discussion about slaughter genre devolved into a series of uneducated guessings and accusations :^)

Back on topic:

I enjoy Platforming sections.

15 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I've been mapping since 2012 and am still working on officially releasing my first map.

this sounds like me with almost anything i get interested in, i never finish things. i really want to finish a doom project but of the 3 i started pnly one had any real progress and now i hate that project. havent been doing this for too long yet though.

13 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

I was looking for this thread,

I keep forgetting to put decoration things in my maps, like corpses and such. I dunno, they do add more to a map visually than through gameplay, but I just don't think to put much of them in, if any.

i feel like that is the least important part of map design, solid level design and encounter design in really nice looking structures is more then enough for a map to be good, decorations are just that final touch imo.

56 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I enjoy Platforming sections.

same

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

Platforming, when done right, can be a lot of fun in shooters.

100% agree, fun platformy movement during an intense fight always adds a lot to it

18 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@GoatLord I found it tedious in Turok, even though it has excellent mobility and jumping.

i have only played the hd remake on steam so its possible it was diferent on it i guess but i never felt very mobile, and the tiny stall when you land made it really really annoying to me.

Eh, I for one could never really enjoy platforming, it's just one of those things that look interesting but when I try them myself I suddenly lose all interest.

My ludicrously bad (and thus jocous) jokes of dark nature have once involved the real ethnicity of the entities among the roster of Doom's antagonist party.

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Eh, I for one could never really enjoy platforming, it's just one of those things that look interesting but when I try them myself I suddenly lose all interest.

That's understandable, its not everyone's cup of tea for sure

I think Memento Mori is a piece of shit that clearly wasn't designed for the simple-minded.

I'm still gonna play through it anyways.

EDIT: Turns only the first few levels are like that. That's even worse.

EDIT: Fuck it. This turd can go back to the shithole where it belongs.

Edited by Sgt Nate V

22 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I think Memento Mori is a piece of shit that clearly wasn't designed for the simple-minded.

I'm still gonna play through it anyways.

EDIT: Turns only the first few levels are like that. That's even worse.

EDIT: Fuck it. This turd can go back to the shithole where it belongs.

It aged poorly, that's its biggest issue.

I found some of the later levels to be quite good, such as City of the Unavenged, but the first half is really underwhelming. MM2 on the other hand looks more modern and has better gameplay, but if you didn't like the first at all then you probably won't like the sequel either.

I wiped my computer recently, and I knew I was going to forget to back something up (which I thought was already backed up).

Goodbye DOOM project...

On 8/9/2018 at 2:24 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I really enjoy watching demos posted by Ancalagon and Bloodite Krypto because I like seeing how they deal with certain monsters so I can try these methods myself.

Uh, not particularly on the exact subject, but back then 2010'ish I've been watching playthroughs on semi-hardcore wads, and the dude doing it sure knew how to Berserk-punch Cacos and Barons to death.

Loved it. Tried it. Owie. :C

I've recently built a habit of turning my mouse slightly to the right when berserk punching. It increases the intensity of the smashing left hook Doomguy is delivering.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:18 AM, _reallyTired said:

100% agree, fun platformy movement during an intense fight always adds a lot to it

i have only played the hd remake on steam so its possible it was diferent on it i guess but i never felt very mobile, and the tiny stall when you land made it really really annoying to me.

Honestly the Turok re-release isn't really HD, despite the few new graphical effects it still has the exact same low-res textures.

4 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Honestly the Turok re-release isn't really HD, despite the few new graphical effects it still has the exact same low-res textures.

well yeah thats fair, i kinda like low poly low res graphics though

On 8/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, CARRiON said:

I wiped my computer recently, and I knew I was going to forget to back something up (which I thought was already backed up).

Goodbye DOOM project...

oof, how far along was it?

5 hours ago, _reallyTired said:

well yeah thats fair, i kinda like low poly low res graphics though

I have nothing against old game graphics, but some of the textures have worse quality than others and it sometimes clashes, they should've tried fixing up those few textures which needed it.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:12 PM, SGS Man said:

I'd say slaughter is the genre of Doom maps that wrenches out every ounce of mechanical depth the game has to offer. It's comparable to perfect runs of challenge platformers, or combo mads of character action games. It is definitely not meant for everyone and that's fine since there are thousands of other Doom maps and mods on offer.

Also, inb4 "Artificial Difficulty"

It's also comparable to fighting game players who can pull off really long (or infinite) combos on human or CPU opponents.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:51 AM, _reallyTired said:

oof, how far along was it?

I had made decent progress. I'm not too bummed out about it though.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:38 PM, CARRiON said:

Goodbye DOOM project...

Ugh, been there.  Although in my case I was able to recover from an older backup so it was only a partial loss, still pretty demotivating though.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:24 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I really enjoy watching demos posted by Ancalagon and Bloodite Krypto because I like seeing how they deal with certain monsters so I can try these methods myself.

After watching their demos, I feel really bad when I am playing the game because how sloppy my play is.

12 hours ago, CARRiON said:

I had made decent progress. I'm not too bummed out about it though.

ah well thats not too too bad then, lost projects still suckthough

17 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

After watching their demos, I feel really bad when I am playing the game because how sloppy my play is.

Welcome to my club.

I sometimes actually avoid demos or videos made by players of much higher caliber than myself on purpose, seeing how well they do and how bad I am in comparison just lowers my already ridiculously low self-esteem and makes me want to just quit the game permanently, it's very demotivating for me.

2 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Welcome to my club.

I sometimes actually avoid demos or videos made by players of much higher caliber than myself on purpose, seeing how well they do and how bad I am in comparison just lowers my already ridiculously low self-esteem and makes me want to just quit the game permanently, it's very demotivating for me.

Well, since you don't do speedrunning, it should be fine IMO. Getting into speedrunning is sort of strange. I originally don't like to check records on DSDA because it feels like I am really far away from the records, but now, I'm pretty much obligated to that because I want to have a standard. I know the skill difference is there, so usually I just make a run that is decent enough in my skill level to call it good enough for me. Sometimes, I feel like getting into speedrunning is stupid because it's harder for me to solely enjoy a game in a blind playthrough now. Yeah, that's basically my mind.

However, I would say, comparing to others is something humans like to do, but it's mostly unnecessary. There's no fair comparison because everyone is in a different situation. Just say, if you compare yourself to a successful entreprenuar who has millions of dollars, you feel you life sucks and don't want to live anymore (unless you're a billionaire yourself ;P). This is unnecessary, and enjoy the enjoyable parts of your life, which is way more important than comparing these stuff.