Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

30 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Well, since you don't do speedrunning, it should be fine IMO. Getting into speedrunning is sort of strange. I originally don't like to check records on DSDA because it feels like I am really far away from the records, but now, I'm pretty much obligated to that because I want to have a standard. I know the skill difference is there, so usually I just make a run that is decent enough in my skill level to call it good enough for me. Sometimes, I feel like getting into speedrunning is stupid because it's harder for me to solely enjoy a game in a blind playthrough now. Yeah, that's basically my mind.

However, I would say, comparing to others is something humans like to do, but it's mostly unnecessary. There's no fair comparison because everyone is in a different situation. Just say, if you compare yourself to a successful entreprenuar who has millions of dollars, you feel you life sucks and don't want to live anymore (unless you're a billionaire yourself ;P). This is unnecessary, and enjoy the enjoyable parts of your life, which is way more important than comparing these stuff.

Yeah, you're totally right about the last part, comparing yourself to others is never going to work in your favor because everyone's in different circumstances, operate differently, and are simply on a different level, that's just going to make you constantly ask yourself why are you even bothering in the first place, which does hurt the enjoyment of various things. The only person you should compete with is yourself, to be better than you were yesterday, you'll live better and happier that way.

That's probably a side effect of my upbringing. I'm too used to comparing myself with everyone around me, no wonder I'm never happy with myself and my achievements, be they bigger or smaller. But strictly in a gaming context it usually doesn't really bother me much, with the exception of streaming. I had started streaming the last month, something I honestly never considered doing (which likely happened only after both a successful and random attempt at setting up OBS Studio when I thought there was nothing to lose if it didn't work) and you can really feel the tension when you're live, especially when you die and the circumstances are pretty stupid. When you're alone it's nothing, but I am well aware that no one's going to watch somebody who keeps dying, regardless of whether it's in the same place or futher down the road. Add vastly superior players to the equation and... you know where it goes, nowhere.

Although, it looks like there are people who enjoy watching me, I can't even begin to describe how AMAZING that feels and how thankful I am to those people, that's a HUGE boost for morale.

I just got a terrible neck strain while doing my morning stretches. I think i wont be able to go to work today.

I have problems balancing architecture and gameplay in my maps, i often end up sacrificing both to some degree.

I made a 60-level wolf3d mod about fighting an organization that uses the ersatz-swastika from E1M4 as its emblem.

mota18a.png.b2b9a10c095accdeb55ea4abbc20a12c.png

(by the way, this is unrelated to Doom but the thing on the left is an exploding dove. Because war is peace.)

I think PSX Doom is better than Doom 64.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:26 AM, Crunchynut44 said:

Im terrible at coming up with names, whether it be maps, MIDIs or even entire wads. My naming is always uninspired.

And this. I tend to name a map on the trait that I see that dominates it most or something that shares that trait.

1 hour ago, Scypek2 said:

I made a 60-level wolf3d mod about fighting an organization that uses the ersatz-swastika from E1M4 as its emblem.

(by the way, this is unrelated to Doom but the thing on the left is an exploding dove. Because war is peace.)

Are you by any chance 'Military' on DieHard Wolfers forum?

13 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Are you by any chance 'Military' on DieHard Wolfers forum?

You got me! I'm the man of many names. Are you on the DHW forum too?

My confession of the day: I love techbases and I wish there'd be more techbasey textures in the doom2.wad. T_T

I've realized that, after playing with hardware and truecolor software renderers for quite a while, I actually prefer the COLORMAP-based light diminishing. I still really dislike how the pink range used by Demons and Barons fades, but I love the way other colors become less saturated in darker environs. Doom Retro is my favorite port at the moment and I remember being really disappointed that @bradharding shot down a truecolor renderer, but now I don't care. (I still want 16:9 widescreen with an expanded FOV, though!)

I've switched back to software rendering for Quake, too, since I found the Mark V engine. It similarly does darkness "better" than hardware rendered engines.

2 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

I've realized that, after playing with hardware and truecolor software renderers for quite a while, I actually prefer the COLORMAP-based light diminishing. I still really dislike how the pink range used by Demons and Barons fades, but I love the way other colors become less saturated in darker environs.

I've switched back to software rendering for Quake, too, since I found the Mark V engine. It similarly does darkness better than hardware rendered engines.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of software Pinkies either, but I do love how it works on Barons. Gritty.

And something that will always look better in software? Blood floors. Mmmmmmmmm so, so good looking <3 .

9 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

GZDoom's paletted tonemap looks really good with colored lighting.

"I Can't Believe It's Not Software™"

Oh my. I never played around with tonemaps before, this is amazing!

Edit: I think it's lousy for colored lighting, though. That's where truecolor is really needed.

@Dragonsbrethren @Agent6 I have a raging hard on for 8 bpp color lighting gradients ala software Quake. Coupled with low res / low detail mode and you have a very warm and fuzzy pixellated look that just oozes atmosphere. I have nothing against true color and crisp high resolutions and I can enjoy them when I want things to look 'modern pretty'. But nothing will beat the 1993-1998 aesthetic (e.g. Half-Life in software mode).

E: I recommend Troo Cullers if you like the Palette tonemap btw and RetroShader for that abstract look!

The Mark V Winquake executable has the option to upscale 320x240 or 640x480 to your desktop resolution, for that wonderful chunkiness without the headaches of getting low resolutions rendering on modern cards/displays. I ❤ the look so much.

7 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

"I Can't Believe It's Not Software™"

Oh my. I never played around with tonemaps before, this is amazing!

Edit: I think it's lousy for colored lighting, though. That's where truecolor is really needed.

I would agree in most contexts, but there's a grittiness it creates that looks really interesting. But yeah, overall I'd rather have the extended range of colors, especially for blues.

23 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@Dragonsbrethren @Agent6 Coupled with low res / low detail mode

Now that's actually something my eyes are not able to stand especially on 320x200, which is why I always keep that mode off in the source ports that feature it, such as Chocolate Doom. For me, the game is perfect in 1280x720 and 1080p, in both Software and OpenGL. I'm not dying for the 4:3 aspect ratio either which I think is just pointlessly pretentious.

This reminds me of a proposal I've had for awhile of a filter that is paletted, but can use dithering to simulate other colors. I think it could potentially look very interesting at high resolutions.

I must confess. I never play past E1M4, or any level from the other episodes. (But I have gotten the first secret level in episode one)

On 8/19/2018 at 12:52 PM, Scypek2 said:

Lemme play!

"Can I play, daddy?"

8 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

I always play mapsets continuously.

Same.

Until a suicide exit blows me up xd.

@Agent6 Yikes. You reminded me a confession for this thread. I hate suicide exits, unless they're creative. Instakilling the player upon a switch press makes no sense and is just dumb.

34 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@Agent6 Yikes. You reminded me a confession for this thread. I hate suicide exits, unless they're creative. Instakilling the player upon a switch press makes no sense and is just dumb.

Except it has a purpose. It's the map authors only tool for resetting player inventory in vanilla Doom.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Except it has a purpose. It's the map authors only tool for resetting player inventory in vanilla Doom.

And it can also be fun, if done right.

I very much enjoyed the suicide exits in Scythe, loved punching everything in the level that followed <3 (what was it, MAP06?). I still think it was one of the most fun levels I've ever played.

@Edward850 Well obviously it has a function, but it was one of the weaknesses of playing Base Ganymede, seeing as it made the levels afterward that were forced pistol start even more annoying in addition to health starvation and limited ammo while throwing lots of enemies at you, which is tricky enough, but no let's take your weapons away too.