Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I no longer pay attention to texture misalignments. I find others who do that incredibly nitpicky.

Edited by NuMetalManiak

I have never EVER touched anything Doom-related other than the four "classic" IWads.
These include both Newfangled Doom entries, and also Heretic, Hexen and Strife (and whatever else).

Also, to this day, I am creeped out by the beginning of the SoundBlaster/AdLib version of D_ROMERO. D_THE_DA is a runner-up in this aspect, though because I used to listen to the latter a lot when I was a kid, I got myself quite used to its nature. The strange thing about the former is, however, is that the "post-introduction" part of the midi is extremely soothing to me in both the GenMidi and the AdLib variants.

And speaking about OST... D_BETWEE is unironically one of my favourite tracks from Doom II. Particularly saying because as I experienced, it's rather unpopular amongst users here.

• I enjoyed the hell out of SNES/PS1 Doom and PS1 Hexen. The former was my first Doom (and hella technically impressive), the second was the second, and well, PS1 Hexen was simply not me knowing better. Since I had no PC until 2002, that was all I had either way.
  • I can't stand most of the music or maps in Doom II (not a big fan of Sandy Petersen's style, always gravitated towards Romero's Techbase more), but there's a few songs/maps that are underrated as hell.
  • Bobby Prince isn't a dirty thief - Romero just wanted some legal rock music in Doom, but that's also why Doom's soundtrack was better than Doom II's.
  • Heretic bores me, but I love Hexen.
  • Doom 3 bores me. (Especially since I'm not fond of jumpscare horror - psychological horror, on the other hand...)
  • Like probably almost everyone here at some point, I pirated Doom for years, having even run into the French WAD, and the German Doom II IWAD that was missing MAP31/32. I've got them legit for years now on Steam.
  • I have Doom 2016 installed, but I've never played it yet. (Was planning on a PC/monitor upgrade since the core of my PC is from 2011 and the monitor is over a decade old and not even true 24-bit color, but then crap happened over the summer and I went from $4000 in savings to $20,000 in debt that I'm only now just starting to recover even slightly from - really long story.)
  • I've done some reinstrumentalizing of Doom songs, but I've never completed a single game's music as the samples I dig up are simply not to my satisfaction. (If anyone wants to hear some non-Doom work, that's in a different directory.)
    • Despite the "other games" folder being named "remix," only a few of them are actually a remix - the rest are straight covers.
  • I once got banned on the Doom Wiki after being misidentified as a spammer due to mentioning Quasar. (Who later unbanned me, thanks Quasar ♥)
  • I've dabbled in mapping, but until Team GEC's PlayStation Doom: Master Edition project, I've never had a map that actually made it into a released form. I'm still 0/Infinity for releasing an original map.
  • I love jokewads and I wish that they didn't suffer the horrible death they did. Mock 2, deathz0r Online, and TurboCharged ARCADE! were great.
  • I love using Russian Overkill on Slaughtermaps, totally defeating the point of a Slaughtermap in the first place.
  • I think that at least Perdition's Gate is an underrated map set, even if it has the stink of "technically dubiously commercial" to it. (Though Tom Mustaine has since released the full version.)
  • I felt proud when a site I helped co-found was referenced in ZDoom's wiki due to ZDoom supporting playback of Sega Genesis VGM files, and we're the site that got it started (replacing an older, way less accurate format in the process).
  • I still have no fucking clue what any of the four "Like" options for the Doomworld Forums mean, or if there's even literally any difference to them at all.
Edited by Dark Pulse

It's been five years I composed anything that I consider sort of finished. I gave it the rather uncreative name Fearless Kickoff as I have never been able to come up with something better.

It's not only the title, however, that lacks creativity - the track itself is a rather downgraded cross between two tracks, them being:

And:

(It is infuriating how YouTube videos can go AWOL without trace like the MIDI upload of this. That sounded more authentic.)

And the main melody is based on a note sequence towards the end of:

... Yep, that's a shame. Ever since, I learnt on my expense that I shouldn't really get myself into this composing stuff. After all, the community already has an established clique of musicians, and trying to shoe-horn myself amongst them is not only fruitless, but outright pathetic as well. (This may also give a definite answer to the ones who wondered at the first sentence why I didn't post this reply into this thread instead.)

I find giant flat decorative sectors a lot better looking than infinite horizons. I'm not sure what it is about, the curvature of the Earth? I guess a hill over whatever the skybox represents will always feel more realistic than an endless plane of nothing. But the horizon effect looks wrong to me even if the place is located in the middle of the ocean.

Years ago I came up with an unwritten, unofficial (and quite stupid) mapping guideline called "the P1 rule" which is described as:

If a mapper claims to do a so-called "classic" Episode 1 replacement, they should limit themselves to Shareware Doom's resources.

I used to stick to this rule on a nigh-precise level, and feel disdainful seeing others (which is about 99.5 per cent of mappers) nonchalantly breaking it again and again - no matter how classic the map or mapset felt on an eventual basis, here and there they would always use textures and flats well beyond the P1_END and F1_END marker.

But I don't harbor hard feelings anymore. Not only because the original rule sounds out-of-boundaries obtuse, but also because even I myself found it difficult not to make excuses for a couple of scenarios, where my final decorative solution with E1 textures anyways felt outright shoe-horned (i.e. not IWad-ish at all), and with that effort, I could've just put the E2+ texture(s) in whatsoever.

@Cell I believe there was also a feeling that it was important to include at least one registered-version resource in custom maps to ensure that it couldn't be played in the shareware version. (Though I'm uncertain if that was ever much of a concern, I'm pretty sure later versions of the shareware edition disabled the -file parameter, though earlier ones might have had it in still, and inserting stuff into the IWAD was a possibility for people determined enough.  This may sound fairly silly but I do have one shareware compilation CD that includes a weird "Wolfenstein DOOM" that's the shareware version with Wolf3D stuff hacked into the IWAD, so it wasn't unheard of...)  It was a convention that some people were honoring up into the days of SLIGE at least (where the program would insert a dead lost soul into every map it generated to fulfill the registered version resource quota).

On 11/28/2018 at 9:28 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

@Cell I believe there was also a feeling that it was important to include at least one registered-version resource in custom maps to ensure that it couldn't be played in the shareware version. (Though I'm uncertain if that was ever much of a concern, I'm pretty sure later versions of the shareware edition disabled the -file parameter, though earlier ones might have had it in still, and inserting stuff into the IWAD was a possibility for people determined enough.  This may sound fairly silly but I do have one shareware compilation CD that includes a weird "Wolfenstein DOOM" that's the shareware version with Wolf3D stuff hacked into the IWAD, so it wasn't unheard of...)  It was a convention that some people were honoring up into the days of SLIGE at least (where the program would insert a dead lost soul into every map it generated to fulfill the registered version resource quota).

Yeah, pretty sure that it got implemented in 1.4. Nominally speaking though someone could still take that for versions before then and still use it if it doesn't have a registered resosurce.

Of course, this only applies to Doom - Doom II never had shareware, Ultimate Doom was an upgrade for registered, and AFAIK Heretic and Hexen didn't have this problem (but also way less maps made for it).

• I use weapon mods (Final Doomer Plus FTW).
  • I say FTW and AF...even though I'm 35...
  • I save frequently.  I try not to save during big fights, but rather between encounters...sometimes I fail at that.
  • I use a controller...and I enjoy it.
  • Because I use a controller I can't SR40 and will jump when it looks like an SR40 gap.
  • I think cats rule and dogs drool.

E3M7's OK, but it does demand a bit of a prior knowledge attack - most of the levels you could just wander around fresh, but if you don't know what order to do the little rooms in the goop, you're basically sunk.

I found out I had won a Cacoward for Plasmaplant two years + after publishing it, reading an idgames archives review holding it didn’t really deserve said award.

I enjoy playing the vanilla IWADS with Brutal Doom and Russian Overkill. 
I don't like playing on UV Pistol Starts but thats what brings in views. 
I enjoy Hurt Me Plenty
Plutonia was a well designed and challenging IWAD that doesn't get enough credit. 
I think WADS like Sunder and Sunlust deprive the community of great creativity in favor of mass enemy spawns. 
That being said I don't like slaughter maps.

I suffer from motion sickness when I'm playing Heretic (but not while playing Doom, Hexen or Strife). How can this been explained?

17 hours ago, jval said:

I suffer from motion sickness when I'm playing Heretic (but not while playing Doom, Hexen or Strife). How can this been explained?

I remember how when I played Wolfenstein 3D in Dosbox increasing cycles made me get motion sickness really quickly.  So, perhaps it's something framerate related or something like that? You could try a different source port or play around with the settings in whatever you're already using.

4 hours ago, Rathori said:

I remember how when I played Wolfenstein 3D in Dosbox increasing cycles made me get motion sickness really quickly.  So, perhaps it's something framerate related or something like that? You could try a different source port or play around with the settings in whatever you're already using.

I 've tried various source ports, but the problem was always there. Maybe the colors?

4 hours ago, Rathori said:

By the way, if you're looking for a Wolfenstein 3D source port, ECWolf's good:

https://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/download.php

1 hour ago, jval said:

I 've tried various source ports, but the problem was always there. Maybe the colors?

Can't tell for sure, it's different from person to person. You could try turning V-Sync and framerate limiter on and off and see if that helps (if you're using GZDoom you could try vid_maxfps, cl_capfps and vid_vsync). I also heard some people get motion sickness because of view bobbing, you could try disabling that too. 

1 hour ago, Master O said:

By the way, if you're looking for a Wolfenstein 3D source port, ECWolf's good:

https://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/download.php

Not at the moment, but thanks for reminding me it existed! I'll use it if I ever get to beating Spear of Destiny!

Two days ago, I released my sixth Doomworld Mega Project submission, and more notably, my first Doomworld Mega Project submission that doesn't start you off in a small gray room with a door between two tall tech lamps in alcoves in front of you.

If a PWAD has music replacements and a level's replaced music is a track from Doom/Doom II, I usually change the music to another track in the WAD. I'm generally more interested in the non-Doom/Doom II music in the WAD (and I feel that the original music has its place in the original games), so for a WAD like Alien Vendetta, most of the time I change the music to Map01 or Map04, lol.

9 minutes ago, TollyCastle said:

I feel somewhat disappointed when a wad has no story.

Same here, sort of. It only applies to megawads, and I don't really care if slaughter stuff has one or not.

I like to carry helpless pain elementals with me as pets throughout the map, where there are lost souls placed already exceeding the limit. Most hilarious/atrocious example is D2TWID map 08, I adopted four potatoes. 

I am doing this right now

DOOM0002.png.dc0ddbdff49e7b5e157f43486c0baa63.png

(NOVA: The Birth, MAP17)

Edited by galileo31dos01

10 minutes ago, TollyCastle said:

Blood should always take away 10% health.

Do you mean all bloodfalls and so on in the game should be damaging? Can't quite get what you're trying to say.

8 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Do you mean all bloodfalls and so on in the game should be damaging? Can't quite get what you're trying to say.

As in the liquid blood floors. Many mods have blood as just a regular floor instead of damaging.

7 minutes ago, TollyCastle said:

As in the liquid blood floors. Many mods have blood as just a regular floor instead of damaging.

But how do you know it always should be damaging if the author didn't intend it to be that way?