Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

1 hour ago, TheNerdTurtle2 said:

I'm making a doom map where the only weapon you have to defend yourself against one is a rocketlauncher in a small space. Would you still like it?

sure. i can always say "give weapons" in the console. ;-)

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

sure. i can always say "give weapons" in the console. ;-)

Oh.. well there isn't much I can do about that.

How do I auto disable sv_cheats? lmao

I have never successfully 2-shotted a cyberdemon with the BFG and probably never will.

I think freelook is a superior control style to classic and tend to use it regardless of whether the wad was designed for it.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I used to misread it as SPARTAN sometimes tbh.

Well the maps that use them are usually Spartan in terms of detailing anyway 😜.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:14 AM, TheNerdTurtle2 said:

I'm making a doom map where the only weapon you have to defend yourself against one is a rocketlauncher in a small space. Would you still like it?

yes. i like using rl against pes ik its dumb

I... don't like Doom 2. Doom 1 is just perfect, possibly my favourite game ever, but I find Doom 2 lacking the punch, the real passion. Map design is worse, music is way weaker, new enemies aren't that well made or designed. I've never had the patience to finish it.

As a kid, I always thought those beeping sounds you hear a few times near the end of the track Demons on the Prey (the song for E1M7) were birds chirping. Most likely caused by the soundcard (Sound Blaster AWE32) that I was listening to it on. It's the sounds you hear just after 1:35 into the song.

speaking of music: i never cared what track is playing on some map. tbh, i usually don't even paying attention to music, because i have some demons to kill. and if i don't have any demons to kill, why am i playing this map anyway?

14 hours ago, ketmar said:

speaking of music: i never cared what track is playing on some map. tbh, i usually don't even paying attention to music, because i have some demons to kill. and if i don't have any demons to kill, why am i playing this map anyway?

Sometimes music can save a map from being boring or a chore to sit through, other times it just makes you want the level to be over very soon.

5 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Sometimes music can save a map from being boring or a chore to sit through, other times it just makes you want the level to be over very soon.

maybe. but the thing is that i simply don't hear it. like, if it is not there at all. (yes, i checked music volume settings, not zero ;-).

looks like my brain cannot cope with too many threads, and throws music recognition thread away. many times i was simply starting the map, then standing there, and leaving the engine running, just to listen to the music. because if i'll start playing, i'll miss the music again.

I'm starting this with a disclaimer: I deserve any and all ire directed at me because of this.

I only manually align for details like supports or textures with vertical seams like startan or metal2 and I use autoalign everywhere else.

Yes I know, this is genuinely immoral.

EDIT: I still align my vertical sector heights to the texture, i'm not that evil.

4 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

I haven't played SIGIL yet...

If you ever plan to try it out, I wish to warn you that it has an style of difficulty not like any other mapset. While most mapsets (Including slaughtermaps) has you confronting enemies crowd control style, SIGIL puts you in tight corridors with high-level enemies and somewhat weak weapons.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, Boomslang said:

I think that the cyberdemon has a really nice ass and i'm jealous

That's not a confession, that's general opinion around here

@GamingMarine Thank you. I will try it out very soon. I like challenges. But I haven't played it yet because I'm busy with some short projects. But that makes me a sinner for not having played it. :(

On 6/12/2019 at 1:46 PM, ketmar said:

maybe. but the thing is that i simply don't hear it. like, if it is not there at all. (yes, i checked music volume settings, not zero ;-).

looks like my brain cannot cope with too many threads, and throws music recognition thread away. many times i was simply starting the map, then standing there, and leaving the engine running, just to listen to the music. because if i'll start playing, i'll miss the music again.

As someone who loves music and hates multi-tasking, I agree with you. Sometimes I just have to stop and listen to some rad MIDI tunes, even during demo recording. 

"City" levels in Doom 2? Ahem... they suck. They don't look like a city and are poorly designed.

I actually wish they kept the music "Waiting for Romero to play" in Doom 1. When you watch the tour of ID Software video recording where Romero plays the game you can hear the music playing.

I've never played Resurrection of Evil (though I want to.)  Haven't played any of the mobile RPG's either if they count.

Sometimes I see the doom titlepic and think to myself, " Damn, I wanna get my hands on doomguy's rockin bod ".

On 7/21/2011 at 5:57 AM, DoomUK said:

• I've always preferred the ambient music from the Playstation port(s) and Doom 64 over the original PC music. By miles.

Well the problem I have with Classic Doom is the amount of Imp clones available.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, Gaia74 said:

i still use autoaim 

Not really a big confession, most people who don't primarily use GZDoom (and then probably some who do) probably play this way.

Since, you know, that's how Doom works. :P