Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I agree with most of the points, but resolution shouldn't really be imposed.

Yes, it can make some things look fairly different, but it's a step too far imo.

12 hours ago, elend said:

I think a mapper should be able to decide how a user plays a WAD.

advisory only, i believe. in no case user should be blocked from playing the way user wants.

Just realized I've never tried to finish a level full pistol start. I mean,. in a megawad or even the original Doom levels, instead of playing them in a sequence, to try as a challenge to play every individual Doom 1/2 level on it's own. I was watching Civvie playing Plutonia and joking about who's gonna try that in Plutonia especially. I got inspired and started Plutonia every level pistol start at UV. Died few times on 2nd level, I am now at 4. That's an interesting way to play Doom instead of collecting all weapons previously and I wonder how I have never attempted it even with the original Doom 1/2 levels. I guess I always thought of the megawads as a continuum.

I don't play Doom anymore outside some super rare occasions when I'm real bored or when something grabs my attention (not even Doom 3), the only reason I visit DW is to help people in the Doom Editing section sometimes, occasionally discuss Doom 3 and post some Random Images / Videos.

5 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I don't play Doom anymore outside some super rare occasions when I'm real bored or when something grabs my attention (not even Doom 3), the only reason I visit DW is to help people in the Doom Editing section sometimes, occasionally discuss Doom 3 and post some Random Images / Videos.

You should play Doom with HL SFX to re-ignite the fire of passion :p.

6 hours ago, seed said:

Hell yes \m/

I've never went past the first 1-3 levels of Doom 1 or 2 and have no interest in either games.

I don't even play on normal difficulty, instead playing on Hey Not Too Rough since im absolutely terrible at the game.

I haven't played any vanilla source ports like Chocolate Doom and after testing out Eternity i think i'll just stick with ZDoom and it's derivatives.

Those are the ones i can think of for now at least.

It has been so long since I played E2 and E3 of Doom 1 that I don't even remember the layouts of most of the maps of those two episodes.

I'm pissed off that the height of the Revenant isn't its actual height, because it means my shots keep "missing."

- I still don't know where various secrets are in the IWADs, and don't even know where the secret exits are in TNT, Plutonia, and E4 of UD. If I want to play the secret maps I warp to them instead. Just how much I like secrets in general I suppose.

- I have finally learned how to use the BFG on Cybers (two-shooting I mean, of course). Though I still take a rocket to the face when I get the timing wrong every now and then. I find it much easier to do around corners.

9 hours ago, seed said:

- I still don't know where various secrets are in the IWADs, and don't even know where the secret exits are in TNT, Plutonia, and E4 of UD. If I want to play the secret maps I warp to them instead. Just how much I like secrets in general I suppose.

Same here (except i know where E4's secret exit is)

I can't seem to enjoy Doom I megawads/episode replacements without gameplay mods, i get bored after a couple of maps due to the limited monster roster, and no SSG.

not actually good enough at doom to do the e2m2 tyson on -fast
just got bodied three times trying it \o/

Still haven't played Sigil. I had it downloaded but I have no idea where it is now..

Speaking of the secrets in the IWADS, some of them I remember well, but there's probably a few I've never found especially if were talking Plutonia or TNT. It's been years since I played through any of the IWADS. Sometimes I'll just jump in a random map to dick around.

- Doomguy running at a 45 degree angle through a window and landing on his feet

- Doomguy opening a door then immediately taking a step backwards and wiggling about

- Doomguy repeatedly firing his BFG directly into a wall

it's the players that make the character ridiculous

It's literally been years since the last time I really played Doom vanilla (or at least, not without any mods).

I dunno why, I don't really find the vanilla gameplay to be all that stimulating anymore, nor have I even touched any source ports that aren't named ZDoom, GZDoom, or Zandronum (before that, it was Doom95). Hell, even a basic enhancement mod will do the trick sometimes.

I rarely play anything outside the officially released stuff and the Romero levels anymore.

I just play these, vanilla, in GZDoom via Linux:

The Ultimate Doom

Sigil

Doom II: Hell on Earth

The Master Levels for Doom II

Doom II: No Rest for the Living

Final Doom

Console exclusive levels from PS1/Jag and Xbox

Romero's two alternate levels for Knee Deep in the Dead

And Doom 64 on an original system, Doom 2016 on Xbox One, and Doom VFR on PSVR. The only reason I'd play any version of Doom 3 would be to play split screen Doom or Doom II on my Xbox One when people are over (via Doom 3 BFG Xbox 360 version). I'll get Doom Eternal on a console since it won't be released on Linux.

I've played community .wads and mods in the past and enjoyed them very much, but lately it's just been vanilla, official Doom for whatever reason.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:05 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

- I've eaten more fireballs from mancubi than breakfast through this year so far. I don't seem to distinguish where the fireballs are being directed from mancs that I was initially not paying full attention to, like from which volley. 

Think I improved a lot on this since then. Quite happy with it :D

On 7/9/2019 at 3:05 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

- Considering the item above, pain elementals are strictly either hit or miss to me on a psychological level, because of all the boring cleanup that comes from a PE infighting. My statistics probe that 9 of 10 scenarios with pain elementals end up this way, not joking. Three of those 9 are hearing it "ow" before realizing there was one somewhere. Nevermind the cloud of ding dongs that's made in only a second.

On the other hand, this has gotten worse...

As for confessions, dunno, that I often cheat at the end of the level to find those missing secrets I can't be arsed to search them properly. This could be labelled as laziness, I call it impatience, when it's actually both at the same time :x

Though familiar with Sunder for a long time, I only very recently realised "Insane Gazebo" was a reference to one of these:

2.png.7fcd69e22b1cee245e2e9f376136d2a1.png

... and not one of these:

1.png.7429ce299f0569dc0befbc30c8c9ac1e.png

...yeah, not a native English speaker

3 hours ago, Soundblock said:

only very recently realised "Insane Gazebo" was a reference to one of these:

and to this.

I like TNT: Evilution Map27 (excluding music) because there are so many people complain about it. Have done a UV -Fast no Invulnerability run without too much trouble.

I guess two years later, I'll also like Doom 2 Map24. ;P

every time I see a level, or set, or mod that makes stuff more game-play convenient - reducing lost soul health, making the pistol and chainsaw good, lowering the radius of the mastermind or of the brown bulky tree etc - it makes me wanna go further in the opposite direction with my own stuff, really ramp up the irritation and clunkiness. current ideas are drastically reducing the player's ammo capacity (something like 120 bullets, 12 shells, 8 rockets, 60 cells before backpack), having duplicate versions of each Doom 1 enemy with slightly different stats and frame intervals, giving the baron and mastermind MORE health etc.

quite like the idea of making the player move on to the next level whenever they die which isn't inconvenient as such but just a simple change which i think improves what i think of as doom. hate watching people bang their head against a level they don't understand on stream, eventually they'd get the hint and move to the next.

what i think are good improvements are ones that add convenience in terms of accessibility - making the power-up palettes less brutal on the eyes, improving the worst sounds (level geometry movement, plasma-gun firing) is important, refraining from importing really high volume music helps, shadowing the map and using better door textures than exist in the base game also helps when yr eyes are feeling blurry. i'm still a believer in making the player find out whether a garg is a switch or a bit of decoration, or if a pool of water is harmless or corrosive by having them interact with it, though. was just getting thinking about how arcane the game's standards really were after playing Sigil, especially cos some people didn't work out the shorthand immediately, eye switches and weird exits y'know.

in essence i want my work to be intuitively understood by the non-doomer, who should then get lost in the level, fail a puzzle, die to a crusher and never see the other nine tenths of the map, in complete comfort

On 8/7/2019 at 6:32 AM, seed said:

You mean, play Doom with the sound-to-text mod to reignite the fire of passion.

HERE COMES FLAMEBOI

I IGNITE YOU

watching chuboh's stream from last night where he debuts his old beavis and butthead graphics and sound mod
lol
i wonder, if you added up everyone who has ever played MM04, how much total time the map's weird progression had stolen from them all <3

I am pissed. Royally pissed. So done with the classic Software mode despite mostly playing in it for the past year and competing in mental gymnastics to make myself think it looks good. The amount of visual noise is driving me crazy - I can't take a single step without every pixel on the screen feeling the need to rearrange itself. Especially during large fights where I need to keep track of multiple enemies and projectiles, I don't want to feel like every wall and piece of geometry is trying to do its own thing as well. I'd rather play with the paletted tonemap in GZDoom if I want the 8bit Software look or use GLBoom+ for maximum gameplay authenticity. Nearest mipmap and 16x anisotropic filtering is the bare minimum to avoid everything looking like pixelshit. 

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

I am pissed. Royally pissed. So done with the classic Software mode despite mostly playing in it for the past year and competing in mental gymnastics to make myself think it looks good. The amount of visual noise is driving me crazy - I can't take a single step without every pixel on the screen feeling the need to rearrange itself. Especially during large fights where I need to keep track of multiple enemies and projectiles, I don't want to feel like every wall and piece of geometry is trying to do its own thing as well. I'd rather play with the paletted tonemap in GZDoom if I want the 8bit Software look or use GLBoom+ for maximum gameplay authenticity. Nearest mipmap and 16x anisotropic filtering is the bare minimum to avoid everything looking like pixelshit. 

Really? I mean i can understand if you have trouble seeing as i sometimes do too (it can get pretty dark in software mode sometimes, but that's just how Doom naturally is). I don't really get a pixelated mess though and i play in my native res which is 1920x1080 but i have played in a lower resolution before and it still looked okay to me. I actually like the "vanilla" look though. Of course i haven't been playing for 20+ years though ;) so i don't need a change yet lol.

What monitor do you use? I'm assuming you use something really "hi-def", maybe with a high resolution? I just have a cheap $100 ASUS 1920x1080p 60hz LCD that i use and i use GZDoom but i have everything turned off (no mipmap or AA) when i use Software mode (which is what i normally use). I mean to each their own i guess.

Also, if you use the palleted tonemap in Hardware mode, it's actually not that bad. I've used it before so i know what you mean. And yeah, if you can use PrBoom+/GLBoom+ i'd use those as the accuracy is pretty much perfect (i think?). 

4 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Eh? Sounds like you're running it in 640x480 or some other extremely low resolution. I've seen nothing of the like in prboom+ software mode in 1920x1080.