Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

1 hour ago, CyberDreams said:

What monitor do you use? I'm assuming you use something really "hi-def", maybe with a high resolution?

I'm kicking it oldschool with an 18.5 incher running at glorious 1366x768. The issue I have is not the darkness but precisely the lack of mipmapping and AF which causes severe visual degradation and pixel shimmering at a distance. It's generally not a big deal in vanilla maps but anything large and detailed gets hit the hardest.

18 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I'm kicking it oldschool with an 18.5 incher running at glorious 1366x768. The issue I have is not the darkness but precisely the lack of mipmapping and AF which causes severe visual degradation and pixel shimmering at a distance. It's generally not a big deal in vanilla maps but anything large and detailed gets hit the hardest.

It gets much better with higher resolution however. As a matter of fact, from my experience 1366x768 was a pretty crappy resolution in the games I've played, for some reason. It looked like garbage without 4x AA or more.

1080p is just fine for Software though. Sure, you do see the blur that comes with the lack of AF and AA in the distance if you're looking for it (in the IWADs I can notice it best on E3M1), but it doesn't bother me at all. Ironically, it's the exact opposite from your situation, detailed custom wads make it much harder to notice (I will never notice this in the likes of Stardate, Sunder, Sunlust, magnolia, Flotsam, DVII, BTSX, ED, and so and so on, you get the point).

I'd say the original Doom resolution is not really made for the huge ass pixel accurate displays we have these days. Just choose a higher resolution and / or fancy tricks like mip-mapping, antialiasing, etc. No need to keep it truely oldschool, if you don't use a CRT. I recommend "Vanilla Essence", with which you get this oldschool feeling, but are not limited to truely running the game oldschool. Don't listen to others telling you how to enjoy your Doom. Adjust it till it looks right to you and there you go, instant awesomeness.

7 minutes ago, elend said:

I'd say the original Doom resolution is not really made for the huge ass pixel accurate displays we have these days. Just choose a higher resolution and / or fancy tricks like mip-mapping, antialiasing, etc. No need to keep it truely oldschool, if you don't use a CRT. I recommend "Vanilla Essence", with which you get this oldschool feeling, but are not limited to truely running the game oldschool. Don't listen to others telling you how to enjoy your Doom. Adjust it till it looks right to you and there you go, instant awesomeness.

Ya, pretty much. CRTs were also less sharp than modern day flat panels, so there was less incentive to use AA if using one for instance, and the pixels were nowhere near as huge as they are on the latter on lower resolutions (CRTs also looked good in any resolution, anything below the native res of a flat panel looks hideous in contrast).

Better stick to higher resolutions honestly.

I still haven't played Sigil. I finally decided I was going to do an FDA yesterday and was wondering why it was so easy when I suddenly realized I forgot to set -skill 4, screwing up the challenge to see how far I could get on first attempt without having seen the wad first. Oh well, I'll try again soon I guess.

17 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I'm kicking it oldschool with an 18.5 incher running at glorious 1366x768.

It's an odd world when a 16:9 display is "oldschool".

Software mode Doom looks better with more pixels; it looked better with more pixels on SGIs in the mid-90s (yes, I did) and we always would have had those more pixels if we could. Don't play in an artificially low resolution for the sake of authenticity. I'm playing on a (4:3) tube, which I suppose might be called "old school" without being totally ridiculous, and it's got more pixels than 1366x768.

1 minute ago, damerell said:

Don't play in an artificially low resolution for the sake of authenticity.

Oh no, retro authenticity is not something I'm into; hence not using ports like Chocolate or Crispy which limit the resolution. I play at 1366x768 because that's my native monitor resolution.

50 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Oh no, retro authenticity is not something I'm into; hence not using ports like Chocolate or Crispy which limit the resolution. I play at 1366x768 because that's my native monitor resolution.

Ah. Well, I'm sorry to hear that, then.

I hadn't touched my iwads since the late 90's, moved them from computer to computer, but never played them.

Fast forward to 2017 and I get my hands on a PS4 copy of Doom (2016), I was getting burnt out on FPS's and this was an amazing retro inspired shooter!

Now for the confession, I didn't know that Doom had such a following, or that it was still relevant.  I knew less than nothing about mods, source ports, add-ons, total conversions, and slaughtermaps.  In the year and a half since I rediscovered Doom it's been my daily obsession, especially what has been done with the original Doom and Doom 2.  Thank you all for stoking the flame of Doom for so long I can come back and have it for my midlife crisis!

Another confession, I play on my phone, always!

I'm trying to play Half-life, opposing force. It is good, yes. But it reminds how much better doom is with its variety of beastiary. HL is just a totally different genre in gameplay..So linear.  Still wondering, how stupid and boring it is to shoot those headcrabs? But it fits, as it fits to the story.

I actually like MAP33 Betray.

Yeah, it's objectively mediocre with no height variation, boxy, and lots and lots of ammo and health. Yet it still manages to be fun to play somehow, probably one of those things that are so bad they're good I guess.

i wish i had released Northern Powerhouse with UV and HNTR switched.

the billions of former humans that appear kinda ruin the map even though i found it incredibly funny
no-one ever reads the text file and thinks the recommendation to play a lower skill ever applies to them lol

This somewhat relates to DOOM, I thought this might be the right topic for it... 

My wife has a pink Sony Vaio laptop that she calls Pinky :) I always remind her about Pinkys in DOOM when I hear her talk about "Pinky" :D

10 hours ago, Rathori said:

I accidentally looked something up on the fandom wiki instead of doomwiki.org yesterday.

Sinner! >:(

I had a break from Doom, during which I played a lot of walking simulators. I discovered that I’m fine with games that does not require any interactions on my part (especially killing). Now I returned to Doom but I have changed. Partially due to playing with gamepad which I like—especially in Doom Retro which has very good handling of vibrations—and partially due to post walking simulator syndrome, I am playing with second to the lowest difficulty level. I played with the lowest but I found double ammo on pickup somewhat humiliating. It’s difficult to balance those things.

On related note, are there any walking simulator projects in Doom?

7 hours ago, Krazov said:

"-nomonsters". ;-)

7 hours ago, Krazov said:

I had a break from Doom, during which I played a lot of walking simulators. I discovered that I’m fine with games that does not require any interactions on my part (especially killing). Now I returned to Doom but I have changed. Partially due to playing with gamepad which I like—especially in Doom Retro which has very good handling of vibrations—and partially due to post walking simulator syndrome, I am playing with second to the lowest difficulty level. I played with the lowest but I found double ammo on pickup somewhat humiliating. It’s difficult to balance those things.

https://jp.itch.io/doom-tourism This is the only thing i know of. It hasn't been updated in like a year though.

I never finished Alien Vendetta. I just don't like slaughtermaps.

I fucking hate revenants. I just can't stand them. And yet people seem to really like them.

While i like prboom+, there's some features that (g)zdoom has that prboom doesn't that are just going to give me an aneurysm. For fuck's sake i just wanna be able to press use to go directly back to the last save.

2 hours ago, Tartlman said:

I fucking hate revenants. I just can't stand them. And yet people seem to really like them.

They're one of the most versatile monsters in the entire bestiary.

2 hours ago, Tartlman said:

While i like prboom+, there's some features that (g)zdoom has that prboom doesn't that are just going to give me an aneurysm. For fuck's sake i just wanna be able to press use to go directly back to the last save.

Then use GZDoom. :P

On 10/30/2019 at 4:14 AM, ketmar said:

"-nomonsters". ;-)

Doesn’t that remove also keys? However, I was wondering if there are intentional projects more focused on gameplay without monsters. Some maps of 1993.wad had no monsters but that’s not the same.

About Doom Tourism: I played for a while in Quake tourism (with NIN’s “Ghosts I-IV”) and I found it very confusing where to go next. Monsters are suggesting the flow. I found it a very interesting experience.

4 hours ago, Krazov said:

Doesn’t that remove also keys? However, I was wondering if there are intentional projects more focused on gameplay without monsters. Some maps of 1993.wad had no monsters but that’s not the same.

About Doom Tourism: I played for a while in Quake tourism (with NIN’s “Ghosts I-IV”) and I found it very confusing where to go next. Monsters are suggesting the flow. I found it a very interesting experience.

No monsters wouldn't remove keys, I think the only way to remove keys is to set the skill level to 0 (which removes everything in the map I think).

It would be interesting to have an actual monster which steals items around the map and you'd have to kill it for it to drop everything.