Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

1 hour ago, AtticTelephone said:

GZDoom is lame and is only useful for mods. PRBoom+ is the ideal source port.

Ejem, GZDoom is more oriented to mods than playing original doom. But a very important part of doom are the mods, so... 

1 hour ago, URROVA said:

Ejem, GZDoom is more oriented to mods than playing original doom. But a very important part of doom are the mods, so... 

GZDoom has too many settings, is so different from Vanilla that normal gameplay is somewhat identical to GZDoom, and is responsible for tons of newbies trying to make complicated wads. ZDoom was already good for mods, but GZDoom is trying too hard to push limits.

I don't cheat (idclev notwithstanding) but I do use cheap exploits that I am aware of to cheese through fights

I never actually finished any doom game, just the first three episodes of the ultimate doom, I just get somewhat bored halfway through the games for some reason

Confession 2: I fucking hate dark sectors and dimly lit maps. I change the sector lighting mode to GLBoom and set the gamma at 4 which brightens everything up. 

Confession 3: If I can't beat a map or can't navigate my way, I watch playthroughs to learn the map.

Edited by paturn

I have no problem with playing on HNTR if I have trouble with your revenant spam megawad.

You aren't clever for trapping me in a small room and then teleporting in four Hell Knights. Learn how to make fun combat encounters.

Mapping for UDMF/GZDOOM is easier than mapping in Boom/Doom format.

GZDOOM isn't the devil because the physics are different from normal Doom and I'm tired of purists pretending it is. (To clarify, I prefer PrBoom+ for most megawads.)

9 minutes ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

I use GZDoom over any other source port and never understood why PRBooM is held in such a high regard

It's way better optimized than GZDOOM and is more vanilla accurate while still allowing you to use good QoL features like minimal HUD, turning off infinite height, etc. it's a nice middle ground.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:42 PM, TheOrganGrinder said:

Confession: never am I more cautious, careful, and even timorous than when I've just picked up a megasphere, because getting knocked down from 178% health and armour to 162% is just damage but that very first chip away from pristine feels like the most grievous of injuries.

haha. reminds me of me and a friend playing final doom coop.... long ago, when final doom was new. network games could also be saved, so we reloaded when one of us noobs bit the dust. but then the reloading got more frequent, and in that humonguous map21 there's a megasphere in a library... which he picked up, only to get scratched by an imp shortly after and down to 195/195. i remember this exactly because i parked my doomguy somewhere, having no clue where i was, and watched him play. he exploded: reload, reload! that imp scratched me!

On 11/17/2020 at 7:06 PM, BunnyWithBeans said:

It's way better optimized than GZDOOM

sorry for intervening, but this is not right. it is faster, yeah, but this has nothing to do with "better optimisations". GZDoom has alot of advanced modding features, and such features don't come for free. it is simply impossible to make an engine that supports advanced scripting and gfx features to work with the same speed as an engine that has almost everything hardcoded, and renders only vanilla-style gfx. GZDoom is prolly one of the best optimised and fastest engines out there. considering the number of features GZDoom supports, it is lightning fast.

so, PrBoom is faster for non-modded maps, but that doesn't mean that it is "better optimised", it is just very-very different, and way more limited.

48 minutes ago, ketmar said:

sorry for intervening, but this is not right. it is faster, yeah, but this has nothing to do with "better optimisations". GZDoom has alot of advanced modding features, and such features don't come for free. it is simply impossible to make an engine that supports advanced scripting and gfx features to work with the same speed as an engine that has almost everything hardcoded, and renders only vanilla-style gfx. GZDoom is prolly one of the best optimised and fastest engines out there. considering the number of features GZDoom supports, it is lightning fast.

so, PrBoom is faster for non-modded maps, but that doesn't mean that it is "better optimised", it is just very-very different, and way more limited.

thx for making this clear. gzdoom frame rate can indeed take a surprising hit on large slaughtermaps with gzdoom even on modern systems, (i have a 9700k + 2080s and a 240 hz monitor, and have seen it stuttering with gzdoom), while glboom didn't have this problem. that seems a bit weird to me. does gzdoom use only one cpu core?

On 11/17/2020 at 10:36 PM, BunnyWithBeans said:

It's way better optimized than GZDOOM and is more vanilla accurate while still allowing you to use good QoL features like minimal HUD, turning off infinite height, etc. it's a nice middle ground.

I tried looking everywhere, but there's no option to turn off infinite height in PrBoom+

5 minutes ago, paturn said:

I tried looking everywhere, but there's no option to turn off infinite height in PrBoom+

Indeed, PRBoom+ has no option (nor the physics) to enable z collisions between solid actors. They may be confused with Eternity which has similar compatibility but a wider feature set, including solid z collisions.

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Indeed, PRBoom+ has no option (nor the physics) to enable z collisions between solid actors. They may be confused with Eternity which has similar compatibility but a wider feature set, including solid z collisions.

I've been looking for a sourceport with mostly vanilla compatibility but without forcing the infinite height feature. Thanks, I'm definitely gonna check out eternity now!

2 hours ago, Pirx said:

does gzdoom use only one cpu core?

If I recall correctly, weren't all ports bound to one?

47 minutes ago, seed said:

If I recall correctly, weren't all ports bound to one?

For the playsim, yes. You can multithread the renderer, but that doesn't help much if you are playing a slaughter map for example.

7 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

For the playsim, yes. You can multithread the renderer, but that doesn't help much if you are playing a slaughter map for example.

Indeed. This is what I remembered too.

4 hours ago, Pirx said:

does gzdoom use only one cpu core?

it uses multiple cores in renderer and audio subsystems, but it is impossible to use multiple cores for playsim. like, totally, physically impossible without completely throwing away Doom compatibility, and rewriting all playsim code from the scratch, in completely incompatible way. this is the limitation of the original Doom architecture -- it is impossible to run thinkers in parallel, because they can modify alot of global state, and state of any other thing in the level. if we'll put "lock guards" around each such data change, everything will be even slower (think about vanilla engine on 386DX or something, a perfect slideshow).

PrBoom is fast because it has no scripting hooks, all monster AI and physics code is compiled into optimised native code from C source. but GZDoom cannot do that, because scripts can change almost everything (including physics). GZDoom still does JIT compilation (i.e. compiles scripts into native code on the fly), but the code is much more complex, and it cannot be as fast as PrBoom's. this is the price we have to pay for GZDoom highly advanced modding features.

in simple words, due to modding support, GZDoom has to execute alot more code for each monster AI/physics. it tries hard to make it fast, but there is only so much it can do -- you cannot execute more code in the same time as less code. ;-) so, GZDoom is still highly optimised, but it has to do alot of things PrBoom was never designed to do. sadly, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

this is also true for GZDoom renderer: it has to support alot of things glboom simply cannot do, so even if you will turn off most "advanced gfx features", the renderer will still perform more work, due to more complex internal data structures.

Edited by ketmar

The first time I ever heard the term "Ghost Town" as a kid was the Plutonia level (the 5th level in the game), so of course every time I hear that phrase the first thing to jump in my mind is that level.

Same could be said for Anti-Christ (Map27 of Plutonia), and Last Call (the final TNT level).

12 hours ago, beast said:

I have never played Doom Deathmatch/Co-op on a LAN or online.

Same... I would love to change this

I don't care that much for Memento Mori 1.

I think most of the Master Levels are trash.

I don't care much for Aubrey Hodges' music, and I think Bobby Prince and Lee Jackson are far better. Some of his sound design is pretty good, but some of it is plain bad.

I don't like Infinitely Tall Actors.

I don't consider Doom 4 cannon to any of the old games.

I think Doom 3 is pretty alright.

33 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I don't like Infinitely Tall Actors.

Well good news, no actor is Doom is infinitely tall, they all have explicitly defined heights. ;)

On 11/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, Dark Pulse said:

I'm also waiting for Doom Eternal to go on a solid sale before I buy it.

Me but for The Ancient Gods.

Doom Eternal itself was an automatic full-price preorder for me.  And it's also why the DLC won't be. 

I prefer to use GZDoom more than other sourceports because of how convenient it is and how many mods there are for it (I will still go PRBoom but only for gigantic monster counts)