Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

-I use resurrect when I die to things I deem bullshit (i.e inescapable pits, max damage revenant missiles when I'm at 79% health or poorly designed arena fight with a large enemy horde). And while I do try to avoid savescumming, I will use saves if the map is very long and difficult or has parts that are tedious to play through again and again.

-I find Final Doom as a whole kinda boring.

-I dislike infinite height.

-I like Thy Flesh Consumed and like Doom 1 as a whole more than Doom 2. I also really liked Sigil.

-I haven't played Doom 64 or Eternal (yet).

16 hours ago, DoomPlayer00 said:

-I use resurrect when I die to things I deem bullshit (i.e inescapable pits, max damage revenant missiles when I'm at 79% health or poorly designed arena fight with a large enemy horde). And while I do try to avoid savescumming, I will use saves if the map is very long and difficult or has parts that are tedious to play through again and again.

-I find Final Doom as a whole kinda boring.

-I dislike infinite height.

-I like Thy Flesh Consumed and like Doom 1 as a whole more than Doom 2. I also really liked Sigil.

-I haven't played Doom 64 or Eternal (yet).

I do and/or agree with all of these.

finally played my way to the second part of znato.wad and fistpumped so embarrassingly

then got blown up by a revenant almost immediately afterwards
like 30 minutes of careful play blown up along with it

was practising cos I kinda wanna record a demo of it just to see if anyone tries to beat it

im so proud of the layout but i know the monster make-up and incredibly combative placement puts people off trying it out properly

every so often I think of the level and try to beat it again cos it was so much effort to make but it's basically impossible and not designed to be a positive level at all giggle

znato.png.b0b9f2b3c90d23177b0486f94ea5e455.png

probably RIP to a messed up map

Hmmm... I do remember beating that map... it was probably on ITYTD though, and very likely with some minor foul play on my part beyond saves.

You've made me curious, I might wanna have a go at trying to beat it myself on UV now lol

I'm usually not the sort of person to do demos, let alone beat maps in one take, so I doubt I'll get very far... but I want to try!

^ that would be incredibly badass of you <3

map is probably worth inspecting through a doom builder before you do, there's six secrets and at least one of them is obscenely obscure

5 hours ago, yakfak said:

map is probably worth inspecting through a doom builder before you do

...aaaand I noticed an entire area I wasn't aware of, with an exit to boot. I should've known better tbh... I may have a new map to play then, with how huge that place looks lol

I think I even got to the portal that'd lead to that area when I first played it, but missed the switch that opened it up, and since I could get back to the teleport exit I went for that...

I'm feeling a lil awkward cause of this right now, guess I should be going for a max demo? Either way It'll be a little while before I start making attempts now, I might wanna get to grips with this new area and probably the map as a whole.

I feel bad for making a kinda-sorta promise on something I didn't actually know well, but that'll just have to be my lesson from this lol

12 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

...aaaand I noticed an entire area I wasn't aware of, with an exit to boot. I should've known better tbh... I may have a new map to play then, with how huge that place looks lol

I think I even got to the portal that'd lead to that area when I first played it, but missed the switch that opened it up, and since I could get back to the teleport exit I went for that...

I'm feeling a lil awkward cause of this right now, guess I should be going for a max demo? Either way It'll be a little while before I start making attempts now, I might wanna get to grips with this new area and probably the map as a whole.

I feel bad for making a kinda-sorta promise on something I didn't actually know well, but that'll just have to be my lesson from this lol

there's a lot of this map! lol i feel awkward for mentioning it now cos i know this level's a big undertaking, i think it might be too torturous to be worth it so don't exhaust yourself over it!
maxing's gonna be painful cos of its extended siege gameplay in both areas, with no BFG, stuff you can fall off and a secret you can accidentally permanently miss and for that reason a speedrun to the secret exit will look FAIRLY like a max anyway; skimming past all the monsters seems impossible

18 minutes ago, yakfak said:

maxing's gonna be painful cos of its extended siege gameplay in both areas, with no BFG, stuff you can fall off and a secret you can accidentally permanently miss and for that reason a speedrun to the secret exit will look FAIRLY like a max anyway; skimming past all the monsters seems impossible

I see, I'll probably be "just" doing a run going for the secret exit then, if/when I get around to it...

But before I even start thinking about doing THAT I should probably hit that exit on a non-demo playthrough :P

After playing the game again and thinking for a bit, i realized i actually really like the Doom 3 shotgun.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:40 AM, Jacek Bourne said:

For some reason, I hate playing ancient aliens. I like skillsaw’s other works, just not AA. Why is this?

idk, but i feel similarly. it's a beautiful, well-crafted megawad, but there's just something about the gameplay that turns me off and i have no clue what it is 

at the very least i'm glad to see i'm not the only one

On 4/28/2021 at 10:40 PM, Jacek Bourne said:

For some reason, I hate playing ancient aliens. I like skillsaw’s other works, just not AA. Why is this?

I have similar feelings towards AA. I don't hate AA and I love the effort put into it, but I think AA crosses that boundary of the gotcha/peekaboo traps that makes me enjoy it less than every other Skillsaw wad.

Plutonia Map03: Before I understood how Doom maps functioned, I thought the Red and Blue Keys were needed to actually step onto the teleporters at the end of the level, since the teleporters themselves have the red and blue lights around them. I didn't realize at the time that the keys opened the doors just beyond those teleporters.

I'm a bit hurt by the fact that I've been on here 19 years and still don't have the respect of my peers, but I also understand and accept it.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

I'm a bit hurt by the fact that I've been on here 19 years and still don't have the respect of my peers, but I also understand and accept it.

what you mean by that? you have a lot of followers, you are basically a staple here and you even have a custom title

On 2/14/2021 at 11:03 AM, ReX said:

I detest the Spider Demon.

And the Cyberdemon.

And the Baron of Hell.

And the Cacodemon.

And the Demon.

And the Lost Soul.

And the .....

Wait! Then why am I on this forum?

well at least you didnt talk about my boy the arch vile

15 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

what you mean by that? you have a lot of followers, you are basically a staple here and you even have a custom title

I've noticed a generally dismissive attitude toward my thoughts when others expressing similar sentiments are given the spotlight, leading me to stop posting in EE; I was given a warning for posting an inoffensive meme (the excuse being that "this is not 4chan," even though meme posts are frequent here); I was also given a warning for pointing out that I get ignored or dismissed for posting peculiar topics others are not ignored or dismissed for posting; I have spent quite a few hours crafting maps with the intent of giving back to the community, which are mostly ignored. There's a sentiment of being the village idiot. My custom title is a quote of mine, but is clearly used as a form of mockery, attributable to my shoot-from-the-hip manner of dialogue. I do not appreciate that. But I also know how people treat you if you're weird and poorly socialized, so I know it's my own doing and I can't be mad at anyone for doing what everyone does. I could 100% be projecting here, but I'm fairly certain I'm not held in high regards here and I accept that.

I think the revenant is the worst demon in all of Doom 2. I mean, come on, the BS damage they do makes me want to destroy my keyboard.

Plutonia is (for me) the worst game of the classic doom series.

57 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I've noticed a generally dismissive attitude toward my thoughts when others expressing similar sentiments are given the spotlight, leading me to stop posting in EE; I was given a warning for posting an inoffensive meme (the excuse being that "this is not 4chan," even though meme posts are frequent here); I was also given a warning for pointing out that I get ignored or dismissed for posting peculiar topics others are not ignored or dismissed for posting; I have spent quite a few hours crafting maps with the intent of giving back to the community, which are mostly ignored. There's a sentiment of being the village idiot. My custom title is a quote of mine, but is clearly used as a form of mockery, attributable to my shoot-from-the-hip manner of dialogue. I do not appreciate that. But I also know how people treat you if you're weird and poorly socialized, so I know it's my own doing and I can't be mad at anyone for doing what everyone does. I could 100% be projecting here, but I'm fairly certain I'm not held in high regards here and I accept that.

Oh i kinda understand how you feel most times when i post a topic it usually goes ignored too

I really dont understand how the meme warnings work sometimes i post some but i nevet got a warning for them (i did get one for shit posting though but that was a thread not just a meme and it also was april fools) i didnt know you made wads though i going to have to take a look at them now, and yea while the custom title is a form of mockery at the same time few users here have one and most users are never going to get their own hell even gez doesnt have a custom title (though i guess the joke is that he will never get one) i think the fact that you received one in the first place means that you arent dismissed as much as you think

• I don't get the grand appeal of Doom Eternal.
  • I replayed Doom 3 for the first time since it was released and completely enjoyed it.
  • I rarely play other people's wads as I would rather work on my own. There's so much I haven't played.
  • I have several projects including a megawad, and single maps on the verge of being complete. Instead of concentrating on said maps, I start making other maps because of ideas. It's kinda ridiculous at this point.
  • I'm a big fan of American McGee's maps and I would like to see him do a new set of Doom levels.
  • I have an idea for a community project but not sure when I would start that.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, Omniplex said:

Started working on my second megawad right after I finished 36 levels of the first megawad I've made. Downloaded texture files left, right and center and now the megawad itself has become a big mess.

I feel your pain. Thankfully I don't have a texture mess since I mostly use my own but. My megawad story is convoluted. I released it in 2000. Did a small update in 2003. Started a larger upgrade. Was gonna do a Legacy version but dropped that because 2 versions was too much. The upgrade got huge so I turned it into megawad 2. Fast forward to 2016 where I decide to update the first released version again but this time with constraints, which is nearing completion (ended up with 2 versions to work on). In 2019 I decided that the 2nd would be a UDMF megawad. In all that process, the 2nd got levels moved around, some ripped out, some ripped apart, many new maps added.... It's kind of a big mess. Good times. ;)

On 2/14/2021 at 10:03 AM, ReX said:

I detest the Spider Demon.

And the Cyberdemon.

And the Baron of Hell.

And the Cacodemon.

And the Demon.

And the Lost Soul.

And the .....

Wait! Then why am I on this forum?

Maybe you just want to have those monsters pummel us all in map releases. That's why you're here.... to drive us before the horde of demons, to crush us and hear the lamentations of the few survivors. ;)

8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

i don't think you should be hard on yourself like this. it's not really your own doing - you don't make other people be dismissive towards you, they choose to do that themselves. i'm not sure if i can give any sound advice cuz it feels like anything someone does in these sorts of situations may have the potential to backfire horribly, but what i can say is that you shouldn't feel as if this is entirely your own fault. i've felt similarly various times throughout my life (though some of it was just me being way too sensitive), and while my gut instinct is to just blame myself for it all i think it's safe to assume that it wasn't 100% on me. besides, i've never really seen anything that bad coming from you (nothing worse than anything anyone else here says)

idk how much this matters to you but i've personally always held you in high regard, and i'm sure a lot of others here do as well

9 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

well at least you didnt talk about my boy the arch vile

Especially the arch-vile do I detest. (I think I was probably thinking of the Ultimate DooM bestiary when I posted my list.)

50 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

Maybe you just want to have those monsters pummel us all in map releases. That's why you're here.... to drive us before the horde of demons, to crush us and hear the lamentations of the few survivors. ;)

I tend to use bosses sparingly. Case in point: The paucity of arch-viles in my work (I consider this enemy as a boss). But I'll grant you that I do love to hear the lamentations of the survivors. And the victims. Let's not forget the victims.

• I also technically never beat Doom 2 as I just stopped playing it after reaching map30 and went to play btsx instead and I don't think I ever will lol. I know everyone dislikes most of the maps on doom 2 for very good reasons but genuinely that iwad bores me out the second I enter underhalls. Its ugly, repetitive and when it isn't super easy its annoying, the Icon is just a culmination of that. Its not hard, its just annoying and I'd rather not waste my time on it ever again, my inner completionist can go throat a cactus
  • I have literally 0 patience for secret hunting so if I cant find them mid playthrough I just go to the wiki. This probably isn't that bad but I still feel the need to point it out
  • On my first playthrough of Doom it took me ~10 attempts to beat City of Dis and I had to google how to kill the mastermind. I was playing single segment. Other maps that I sucked at in this fashion are Doom 2's Factory and Spirit World

17 hours ago, GoatLord said:

You've always been one of the more nicer posters here that's for sure. Not an ounce of nastiness in you.

20 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I was given a warning for posting an inoffensive meme (the excuse being that "this is not 4chan," even though meme posts are frequent here)

Doomworld is a strict social media. They don't want it to turn into havoc. An easy way to show how that could be is by looking at some of the many communities on Reddit. The Doom Subreddit is filled with shitposters who create really terrible memes who are cheered on by the other spammers of the sub. Nottheonion, a community I belong to is dedicated to posting funny real news stories that you can't believe aren't from The Onion (the satirical fake news website). Now, it has become almost a wastebasket for people to just post political things that are upsetting and certainly wouldn't be in The Onion. This is what happens when Forums go unmoderated, so those on the Doomworld staff have to be cautious not to let the forum become a meme dump/a political website. 

I do also want to say that for the second part in parentheses, those meme posts that are frequent here are often in threads dedicated to those types of posts, or they go unreported. the Doomworld Forums staff is small, so you can't expect them to delete all the memes you come across immediately. And if they did allow memes, you would see many many more than you see now. 

20 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I was also given a warning for pointing out that I get ignored or dismissed for posting peculiar topics others are not ignored or dismissed for posting

I'm a bit confused by this sentence. I'm not sure if you're saying that you dedicated a whole topic to this, you've seen others post the same thing without being warned, or you just posted this somewhere and got a warning for it. I'll respond to the last one since that is the one I think makes the most sense. 

The Doomworld forums are not as big as other forms of social media, so you can't really blame people for not seeing your posts. I always want to get dozens of likes on my posts, I think we all do. But we have to understand that there are other maps out there, and you aren't going to always get all the likes. Also, some peculiar topics are posted because those who post them are known for making those types of posts, and people like to laugh at the responses. 

I have almost 10 warnings I believe after being here for a year (more like 8 months, since I've taken breaks) and I don't disagree with any of them. most of them relate to shitposting. I've come to learn that any elaborate or over-the-top joke isn't and shouldn't be tolerated on a website dedicated to a videogame. I also got one for rudeness, which I forget what for, but I probably deserved it looking back on many of my posts. It's not right to be aggressive to people you don't know in real life, since you don't know what they could be going through. Even last week, I was being a dick to a guy on a thread, and after posting the comment I wished I could have deleted it. I didn't get a warning for that, but I feel like I deserved one. My latest warning was from a week ago when I reporting every post I thought was bad, and I got warned for reporting too much, which taught me not to report everything I read. 

Don't take the warnings as some sort of threat or as a way of people acting against you. Warnings are used to warn you, not to punish you. They are telling you that if you continue to create low-quality posts or report too many comments, then they are going to kick you from the site or suspend you. the warning is only used to tell you "Improve your game a little" not "You did bad, now suffer!"

Sorry for going off-topic. just to not derail the thread, my confession is that I started to replay DOOM 1 on a harder difficulty and just decided to stop during the middle of episode 3. not because I thought it got too hard, just because I wasn't in the mood. I haven't gone back to play the rest and it's been like 8 months. 

On 7/21/2011 at 9:49 AM, CODOR said:

I've played all the way through Doom 2 exactly once, but had to have a friend's dad explain to me how to defeat the Icon Of Sin after he did it.

I almost always play in Hurt Me Plenty (and Hey Not Too Rough if I'm unfamiliar with a level). Doom E1 is about the only set of levels I can play in Ultra Violence.

I can't remember the last time I played a non-IWAD level.

I had never played Heretic or Hexen until about three years ago. I still haven't played either of them all the way through.

I appreciate you, you are actually alot smarter than you make yourself to be, plus it can't be as bad as how much i hate respecting weebs and furries for anything, i love their talent but i hate their soul and role model

i absolutely cannot play with the camera being in Doom(guy/gal) stomach anymore. why did id placed the camera there?

while I enjoy gzdoom modding and need to get back to it and finish a lot of projects.. I think I will return to just make vanilla mods and maps after I complete After Dawn, GZFreeDOOM and the 3D packs I have been planning... These are all projects that I am doing for me...

In other words... GZDoom-1 will likely not be completed... Also, there does not seem to be any interest in it...

as for DOSDOOM-1, well we will have to wait and see if I can revive it when the time comes...