Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I actually like easy/excessive secrets. What, there's a hidden item behind this console, this other console, AND this cracked wall all in the same room? Heck yeah. It doesn't get old any faster than popping bubble wrap.

I used to have pirated copies of DooM as a kid and the only reason I can say I "bought" doom 1 and doom 2 now is because I bought the Doom 3 BFG edition.  I still have never "paid" for Plutonia or TNT.

Also I prefer TNT over Plutonia. (Though now that I'm older and have better "Taste" in doom, I understand the later half of TNT has some really bad levels)

In fact I prefer chill adventurey maps with amazing atmosphere and crazy scripted events even if it means barely any monsters over brutally hard slaughter maps.  I also enjoy Brutal Doom sometimes.  And I think of Doom as a slow paced survival action horror game not an arcadey twin stick shooter, which is why I also have a huge appreciation for Doom 3.  Complex Doom makes brutally hard slaughter maps actually fun.

Also I love playing with mouse look enabled.  And I mostly use GZDoom nowadays with texture filtering enabled.  Though I have been trying to play through sunlust in PRBoom+ with no mouse look.  I played through the beginning of Ancient Aliens in Zdoom with Mouse Look.  Also thanks to mouse look, I never realized how hard the icon of sin boss is actually supposed to me.  As a kid I always idclipped into the icon of sin, and as a teen I started playing using DooM legacy with mouse look.  Also as a kid I used to always play the game with iddqd enabled since plutonia with keyboard only was impossibly hard.

You guys can hang me now...

Edited by illYay1337

1 hour ago, The BMFG said:

i pirated ultimate doom

are playing it using dos box or a source port well i kinda pirated it too there is a youtube video here the guy put a download link to the wads and for the source port he reccomend using gzdoom so i pick gzdoom but my computer does not support the opengl version its only support polysoft wich is ugly  and i dont reccomend using because my computer does not support the opengl version that gzdoom had i decided i will use zandronum

9 hours ago, illYay1337 said:

I used to have pirated copies of DooM as a kid and the only reason I can say I "bought" doom 1 and doom 2 now is because I bought the Doom 3 BFG edition.  I still have never "paid" for Plutonia or TNT.

Also I prefer TNT over Plutonia. (Though now that I'm older and have better "Taste" in doom, I understand the later half of TNT has some really bad levels)

In fact I prefer chill adventurey maps with amazing atmosphere and crazy scripted events even if it means barely any monsters over brutally hard slaughter maps.  I also enjoy Brutal Doom sometimes.  And I think of Doom as a slow paced survival action horror game not an arcadey twin stick shooter, which is why I also have a huge appreciation for Doom 3.  Complex Doom makes brutally hard slaughter maps actually fun.

Also I love playing with mouse look enabled.  And I mostly use GZDoom nowadays with texture filtering enabled.  Though I have been trying to play through sunlust in PRBoom+ with no mouse look.  I played through the beginning of Ancient Aliens in Zdoom with Mouse Look.  Also thanks to mouse look, I never realized how hard the icon of sin boss is actually supposed to me.  As a kid I always idclipped into the icon of sin, and as a teen I started playing using DooM legacy with mouse look.  Also as a kid I used to always play the game with iddqd enabled since plutonia with keyboard only was impossibly hard.

You guys can hang me now...

yeah plutonia is hard but evilution the map is big

Today I actually two Doom confessions

1. Finally played (and beat) The Lost Mission for Doom 3 via the ModDB port for original Doom 3.  It was excellent!
2. TDIL The Doom 3 marine's face is modeled after Kevin Cloud's.

While I have never pirated Doom I have helped people pirate the game by giving them copies of my iwads.

I also pirated heretic but it was a different version so I just bought it later.

I love mapping for Doom, I don't enjoy at all playing it. Such a boring game. 

3 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I love mapping for Doom, I don't enjoy at all playing it. Such a boring game. 

Nervous Laughter

H-H-heh...g-good late April Fool's joke am I right?

1 hour ago, Robo_Cola said:

Nervous Laughter

H-H-heh...g-good late April Fool's joke am I right?

Nope. Not one bit.

Do I need to be a pilot, to be a mechanic? 

- I first heard (or at least first remember hearing) Kashmir in nuts.wad due to it being the first custom map I ever played. To this day, I can't imagine or listen to it without thinking of the agony I put my poor Vista pc through. And to be completely honest, I much prefer the midi to the real song and often listen to it on loop while doing things not Doom related.

- I only within the last month finished Plutonia, making TNT the only main iwad I haven't finished. That means I've gotten to map 27 of Scythe 2 on UV before picking up Plutonia. Although it had some of the most frustrating moments in recent memory, it was also some of the most fun I've had playing Doom in a while. (Also, the Plutonia midipack is wonderful.)

- Almost every time I play through Doom 1, I opt to just void-glide to the end of e2m6 to the point that I can nail it first time 9/10 times.

- I can't stand when people refer to the level format as "episode x, mission x" or "mission x" instead of saying "episode x, map x" or "map x". Maybe I'm just uncreative and cant think of them as missions with goals and stuff, they're just maps.

- On the topic of hate, I seriously hate Frozen Particle's channel (he goes by FP now). He just makes videos with opinions stated as fact, like "THE WORST LEVEL IN DOOM 2" then talks about the chasm, or "THE HARDEST LEVEL OF DOOM" and talks about e4m5, or "THE GREATEST DOOM WAD" and talks about AV. It goes on like that. Maybe I'm stupid and don't see the very obvious joke, but the way I see it is he's exposing new classic Doom players, often fresh off the new games, to these generic opinions and passing them off as objective, or even just as the widely accepted idea.

- edit: After seeing Kyka's post, I've been reminded that I pirated a copy of Doom 2 after buying it while trying to play it on a school pc. I had a usb with the source port and even a few pwads, but forgot the actual iwad itself, so I downloaded a copy from Archive.org (I think). The mentality of buying the same version of the same game once for each device is stupid. I bought it, I own it.

Edited by Spineapple tea

I too have pirated all of the OG Dooms - Original, Doom2, Final, Ultimate.

But in my mind that is ok, because I have also paid for all of them, some more than once.

I had a similar experience to Kyka's. However i used to have the original versions of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, but they were the Doom 95 re-release, i didn't knew Final Doom was a thing until i was 14 yo, so i pirated a copy of it at the time, i hope id Software, Bethesda Zenimax, the Casali bros and what remains of Team TNT don't sic some shady dudes to kneecap me for my transgression.

When i was 15 i also got a disc that had "Ultimate Doom" written on it, a friend of mine gave it to me. Weirdly it had tons of things Doom related, but no Ultimate Doom at all, i don't remember much of it, but amongst other things it had Wad Author and DeepSea which i didn't knew were level editors at the time, also there was some shit made by Laura Beyer, all of the Master Levels, all of the game's sound effects in .wav files, Wolfen Doom by AReyeP which is out of place, because its a Wolf 3D mod. It also had a DOS based multiplayer client, and some Dwango maps.

I like mapping for Doom, however i can't map without taking notes and drawing a rough sketch on a graph notebook beforehand. I find mapping on the get go tedious.

Whenever I fail to kill an imp with a shotgun from up close, I just switch to non-berserked fist to finish the job. (It's well worth it if just for those times when they're one punch away from death)

I'm not calling anyone out when I say this cause I loathe these regardless of whoever made them but I hate, and I mean hate slaughtermaps. Whenever a start of a wad starts out with 50+ enemies I immediately close the game and move on to something else

I miss playing "All Out War 2" on Zandronum. I enjoyed playing as an Utillity Guy class the most, building floating platforms and pathways, strategically placing sniper turrets, chem turrets, proxy mines, tons of barbed wire and sandbags, and ammo/health dispenser to help those who chooses the sniper class, or to help establish a vantage point with other fellow teammates. 

Even though I know the shotgun is a close range weapon, it doesn't stop me from sometimes trying to shoot enemies with it from a distance. 

It took years for me and my family to figure out how to defeat the Icon of Sin without cheating. My dad couldn't figure it out, neither could my uncle when they played the map together over the internet, I played the map several times years ago not sure what the heck to do. One day I think my brother figured it out by accident and now we know it's really damn simple!

The shotgun isn't that bad as a mid-distance weapon. Certainly a lot more efficient than the SSG beyond a certain range (even allowing for the "free" pellets it provides).

I’m not a fan of plutonia, Cyberden’s archvile bullshittery made me hate it

Right then, here goes. When I was 9 I realized there was more than Doom on the Ultimate Doom CD-ROM. Upon discovering Heretic shareware, I thought "I found another Doom." Little did I know. I mean, I wasn't entirely wrong lol

I miss the good ol' Skulltag days (early 2000's, for me).  I had so much fun just running around in co-op servers talking rubbish to people I'd never meet IRL.  There were so many cool new mods and maps and I was young enough that I could stay up late and still go to work on time without feeling like I was dragged through a hedge backwards!

Despite me being able to point at all the flaws and reasons people don’t like it, i (in my subjective and biased opinion) consider DooM 2 map21 nirvana an okay map.

I was a lot more terrified of the Cyberdemon on PSX Doom/Doom 64 than I was on PC Doom. The two reasons are that the sound of the Cyberdemon walking around on PSX Doom/Doom 64 is more scary than on the PC, and I believe it walks slower too, which makes the sound of it walking stand out even more.

This is my shortcut icon for Chocolate Doom in my Ultimate Doom Chocolate Doom folder (I have a Chocolate Doom folder for each Doom IWAD):

image.png.8ffc3680e09e5604b2a84907b1b0be6d.png

My grandmother's Windows 95 PC that had an install of Doom on it had the MS-DOS icon for the shortcut, so it gives me memories of playing Doom on her computer and Doom is the first thing I think of when I see this icon.

Edited by peach freak

1 hour ago, peach freak said:

This is my shortcut icon for my Ultimate Doom/Chocolate Doom folder (I have a Chocolate Doom folder for each Doom IWAD):

image.png.8ffc3680e09e5604b2a84907b1b0be6d.png

My grandmother's Windows 95 PC that had an install of Doom on it had the MS-DOS icon for the shortcut, so it gives me memories of playing Doom on her computer and Doom is the first thing I think of when I see this icon.

Reminds me of whatever weird source my dad got the Commandef Keen games from where Keen 3’s icon is Earthworm Jim for some reason. I still have those versions and icons somewhere.

To my confessions, it’s 2022 and I still haven’t beaten E4 or Plutonia past MAP23. I could start naming famous and now-iconic wads I’ve never played either but then I would never finish this post.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:37 PM, peach freak said:

I was a lot more terrified of the Cyberdemon on PSX Doom/Doom 64 than I was on PC Doom. The two reasons are that the sound of the Cyberdemon walking around on PSX Doom/Doom 64 is more scary than on the PC, and I believe it walks slower too, which makes the sound of it walking stand out even more.

You and me both my main guy. I find the PSX/64 Cyberdemon sounds highly dread inducing!

45 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

You and me both my main guy. I find the PSX/64 Cyberdemon sounds highly dread inducing!

As a kid, I was so terrified of the Cyberdemon in Doom 64 that I'd cheese the fight against him in Watch Your Step, the first level that has a Cyberdemon in the game. There are bars that block off the exit room that open up when the Cyberdemon (or both Cyberdemons on harder skill levels) is killed, the room can be accessed from either the starting area or the opposite arena (where you get the Blue Key and fight off the first wave of monsters). You can stand in the opposite arena and see through the bars to the starting area and shoot at the Cyberdemon whenever he passes by. You can hit him with shells and bullets while his rockets can't touch you, so I never had to go directly encounter him.

3 hours ago, peach freak said:

As a kid, I was so terrified of the Cyberdemon in Doom 64 that I'd cheese the fight against him in Watch Your Step, the first level that has a Cyberdemon in the game. There are bars that block off the exit room that open up when the Cyberdemon (or both Cyberdemons on harder skill levels) is killed, the room can be accessed from either the starting area or the opposite arena (where you get the Blue Key and fight off the first wave of monsters). You can stand in the opposite arena and see through the bars to the starting area and shoot at the Cyberdemon whenever he passes by. You can hit him with shells and bullets while his rockets can't touch you, so I never had to go directly encounter him.

For me I gotta say the Cyberdemon from Doom 64 is by far the most fear inducing iteration of the monster.