Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I first played Doom when I was six years old, and at the time I thought the enemy gibs were 'Indians' (as in native Americans):

Spoiler

Additionally, every time one would get gibbed by a barrel, I thought they were 'turning into Indians'. I don't know what I was thinking. I think perhaps I thought the white bit on the right looked like a feather headdress:
Spoiler

EDIT: I should also mention that I thought the pistol wasn't a pistol, but rather a 'helmet' that we were seeing from behind, and whenever you shot the gun it was just the character 'breathing fire'.
Spoiler

Makazi said:

I first played Doom when I was six years old, and at the time I thought the enemy gibs were 'Indians' (as in native Americans):

Additionally, every time one would get gibbed by a barrel, I thought they were 'turning into Indians'. I don't know what I was thinking. I think perhaps I thought the white bit on the right looked like a feather headdress:
EDIT: I should also mention that I thought the pistol wasn't a pistol, but rather a 'helmet' that we were seeing from behind, and whenever you shot the gun it was just the character 'breathing fire'.

Understandable since you were at a very young age, but I always saw those as blood and guts, and guns when I was a kid.

Tritnew said:

Understandable since you were at a very young age, but I always saw those as blood and guts, and guns when I was a kid.

The insanely low res and less than 1 FPS probably didn't help matters, lmao

I remember that when I was very young, and even later for quite a long time, I didn't recognize the Pistol weapon as being a hand holding a pistol, but as a black+brown weird rounded triangle shaped thing that shoots red fires and is called a "pistol" (maybe I was told it). It's quite possible that I didn't know what a pistol is other than from Doom, back in the day. Either way, the point is that I didn't see the hand as being a hand at all, but a part of the weird weapon thing. As I vaguely remember, I even drawed it - without having a clue about the intended 3D appearance of the thing I was drawing.

zombiemenislove said:

I use hdoom.

Most of us do, but you gotta be a sick fuck to play It two or three times a day.

scifista42 said:

[...] I didn't recognize the Pistol weapon as being a hand holding a pistol, but as a black+brown weird rounded triangle shaped thing [...].

Sometimes I still got that impression with normal shotgun. I actually had to think hard to see that there is a barrel. The perspective wasn’t kind in this case.

I'm so ridiculously obsessed with oldschool DM with my friends that I often get up at 8am just to get some frags in.. 8am my time is 6pm Eastern time in the US, so if I'm unable to get some Doomin' in til about 1pm, there go my chances for decent-ping Odamex DM...

Though a few Aussie Doomers have been hanging around the last few weeks, much to my pleasant surprise at the end of some particularly difficult work days.. DM is a great way to "come down" after a long day, so hopefully this trend will continue!

SavageCorona said:

I say cay-coh instead of cah-coh like the rest of you illiterate swines. IT'S ONE C NOT TWO OR A CK, FUCKS SAKE.

I say "toh-mah-toe". People call tomatoes "cacodaemons"?

I logged a couple of 12-hr mapping sessions (with short breaks to eat and stuff) for my last two projects. I planned a more reasonable schedule, but I got really eager to bring certain ideas to life and couldn't help myself.

I'm going to try to spread the work out over a longer timeframe instead. Those sessions feel fine at first, but then I end up exhausted with a sore neck.

Don't take that last sentence out of context.

--

Also, I realized that in the recent past, I would accidentally toggle auto-run on and off quite a lot while beserking things -- due to a combination of hand posture (and activeness) and the proximity of Caps Lock to my left strafe key. I noticed it while returning to this small challenge. I improved quite a lot at it (I'd rate it a 2 or a 3 in terms of difficulty now, instead of the original 7), but too much for just a few intermediary weeks of playing and testing hard maps to explain. And then I noticed "Hey wait, I'm moving slowly now, and now I'm doing it again, and wait, wtf?" and realized what was happening. What boggles my mind is that I didn't notice it the first time around. :o

My brother got a Cacodemon plush and we named it Deimos.

Ever since then we've established E2's first Caco as Deimos and refuse to kill him.

The other ones are fair game, though.

Super Flip said:

My brother got a Cacodemon plush and we named it Deimos.

Ever since then we've established E2's first Caco as Deimos and refuse to kill him.

The other ones are fair game, though.

That's honestly very adorable.

I feel that Doom mapping has gotten too serious. I think that's true with games in general, really. What good is a life without laughter? Y'know, it's good for your health and all.

zombiemenislove said:

I use hdoom.

Of course you do, otherwise you wouldn't have busted so many nuts to it!
Now jokes aside, i do use hdoom too sometimes, although i prefer to play with other people, it makes for an interesting experience, ya know, he he.

I actually find PSX DOOM to be the better version of Classic DOOM out there for a very obvious reason.

I always used to see the pistol without any depth perception. I.e. I thought the pistol in doom was quite short but with a sizable triangle barrel. More like a blaster than a pistol.

I recently beat the first episode of BTSX. Playing with my new approach,which is playing at work when I start feeling sleepy just to wake up from the adrenaline rush or whatever it is that makes me wide awake as soon as Doom even starts, a map or two a day, maybe three on some days. UV, no saves, unless I was really far into a level, really low on health, and standing before, say, a pit that I was fully expecting to lead to a dickish ambush. Barely ever died, beat most levels on the first try, but lots of close shaves. I... enjoyed it. I think. The music is still hilariously unfitting for an FPS but this time I felt something, some sort of surrealistic atmosphere.

Started episode 2 yesterday, only got to "useless inventions" today, only died once (on "underwater explosions") so far. "Dirty water" had some near-death moments but I pulled through using my awesome power of running the fuck away really well. I'm... sort of... kinda... enjoying it too?

What the hell is wrong with me?

mrthejoshmon said:

I just put 10 revenants in one monster cupboard down a 64 wide corridor...

Fight me.

Challenge accepted.

SavageCorona said:

It's like BTSX isn't that shabby and you shouldn't listen to Memfis???

I wasn't listening to Memfis about it, I tried it many times before and hated it each time. Both episodes, too. I only found out later that Memfis considered these wads boring, actually.

I think my "one map at a time when I have nothing to do at work" way of Dooming lets me get more into it somehow.

I have to say, it's kind of puzzling to me that you're still trying to find some enjoyment in a wad you dislike so much. Why? Wouldn't you rather just play something you like?

I find that I map best when doing architecture/monster placement first and then work on texturing/detailing. The map molds the monsters. If I can't monster, I can't map.

I'm also sad that I'm probably the only one here other than Antroid that watches raocow. So many things I could quote...

esselfortium said:

I have to say, it's kind of puzzling to me that you're still trying to find some enjoyment in a wad you dislike so much. Why? Wouldn't you rather just play something you like?

I'm really not aware of most things that come out of the community (beyond the "id way did" wads or Lainos' work I can never be sure if I'd like something beforehand), and to be frank the btsx-es always had this strange quality to them, the one that kept me coming back to try again, this feeling that there was something really cool hidden in them that I was missing. This will sound cheesy as hell, but I imagined some sort of deeper intent or meaning that would come out of the combination of everyone's work. Maybe I just really wanted more of a story or something and convinced myself that there was a richer, secret narrative there, even if it was only narrating Doomguy's silent journey through the sheer bizarreness of whatever the fuck happened on that whole planet, and even if it was only emergent and not planned (who knows? Well, you guys do, but I don't).

I think I just looked at kmxexii's onemandoom review of the second episode for a reason I can't remember and some of the more setting-related observations he had made (about the last map and the intermission maps IIRC) made me want to try getting into it AGAIN.

And you know, having suddenly enjoyed beating the first episode, actually managing to sort of immerse myself in the atmosphere I've never previously felt in it, I'm not sorry I gave it yet another chance. It was a good idea to take it at a very slow pace, that way the first episode didn't become tiresome. I don't know why the music didn't bother me this time, though. Or the map names.

Jaxxoon R said:

I'm also sad that I'm probably the only one here other than Antroid that watches raocow. So many things I could quote...

By now the only phrase of his that has stuck with me is that "heaven is a very sky place dangerous" thing. :> Everything else just never has the same impact, and he says a lot of bizarre stuff almost every day so it's not as memorable.