Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Someone should make a compilation of all the best IOS maps. I'm certain there have been some good ones. I think the way Doom 64 handled its version was interesting.

I turn off all the texture smoothing and filtering options the various doom ports have available. Then I go into the video card drivers and crank FSAA ALL the way up so the edges in doom are as crisp as a fresh dollar bill. I play in 1366x768 on my laptop and 1080p on my tv. It feels better to look at than any other game I've played.

hHHnnnnggggggggggg

Hoodie said:

"Why is that there?"

or

"I'm playing a videogame"

Fine, a professional architect that isn't an unimaginative git.

I still haven't beaten Thy Flesh Consumed.
I tried it on UV a long time ago and got totally creamed on the second map.
I'm a lot better at the game now and I heard it gets easier after that map, so I should try it again soon.

I beat Quake 1 on nightmare once, but I never beat Doom or Doom 2 on nightmare. Quake on nightmare was really hard, but atleast the enemies didn't respawn. If you're playing Doom on nightmare and you take a wrong turn, you're basically fucked six ways till sunday.
One day I'll do it though. One day...

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I beat Quake 1 on nightmare once, but I never beat Doom or Doom 2 on nightmare. Quake on nightmare was really hard, but atleast the enemies didn't respawn. If you're playing Doom on nightmare and you take a wrong turn, you're basically fucked six ways till sunday.
One day I'll do it though. One day...

I can beat Quake without using the God Mode cheat, but the same can't be said for Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

DaIcemann76 said:

I use IDDQD on Icon of sin levels. :(

I'm even worse. I use vertical aiming to beat icon of sin except Doom 2.

While I unashamedly use mlook in the stock maps, Icon of Sin included, I make a point of at least following the spirit of MAP30 by getting on the platform before I Contra the shit out of the bosswall.

I haven't released any maps yet because adding custom music and skies is confusing to me, even though I know it's not difficult.

How do you go on about nanomachines and foldy computers, and then not know how to rename a MIDI file to D_RUNNIN?

GoatLord said:

I haven't released any maps yet because adding custom music and skies is confusing to me, even though I know it's not difficult.

Slade:

Make MP3/OGG/Whatever, go here and rename your music to the appropriate name listed as MIDI

For skies, download or make your sky, then add two markers; one above the sky texture and one below the sky texture and name them "TX_START" and "TX_END" respectively. Done!

Make sure you arrange your WAD so any custom files (music, textures, skies etc.) are above the map files so as to avoid corruption.

XWE:

I don't know how to do jack shit with XWE so I dunno

Hope that helps

Hey guy above, don't give out misinformation! You don't need any markers for a sky texture, nor is it necessary to place any other assets above map data. Look at the iwads and how they are structured, maps are the very start of the wad after the pallete/colormap/endoom and demos. If you are getting "corrupted" files, you're doing something else wrong. That is not to say that you can't put the assets above map data, but for this case it is moot point to put forward to a mapper learning the ropes.

Goatlord, adding a music track and sky texture will be the easiest thing you can do when it comes to custom assets. Let's assume your map is for Doom 2, get a midi that you like and insert it into the wad using the lump name D_RUNNIN if it is MAP01. If it's for another map number, go and look up the lump name on the wiki that corresponds to the map slot you prefer and name your lump that exactly. For the sky, get a 256x128 sky graphic that you would like to use and insert it into your wad as RSKY1 for map slots 1-11, RSKY2 for map slots 12-20, or RSKY3 for map slots 21-32. Skies can be other sizes (mainly referring to width), but start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start.

Jaxxoon R said:

How do you go on about nanomachines and foldy computers, and then not know how to rename a MIDI file to D_RUNNIN?

Let me put it this way. I'm 30 years old and I don't wear shoes with laces because I can't tie them properly. I put my shirts on backwards/inside out regularly, same with my flannel. I don't wear button-up shirts often because I rarely can align the buttons correctly. I can't go anywhere without a GPS, even my friend's apartment I've been to dozens of times. I've actually gotten lost while using a GPS. I've lost several smartphones in the last couple of years and five pairs of car keys. I can't parallel park (even though I have a license) and regularly smack my car into things, which is full of dents. Yesterday at a taqueria I almost walked off with a hand sanitizer station for some reason (SOBER, too). There's a lot of very simple things in life that are very difficult for me. I may be able to navigate the spiritual realm, but I have an awful lot of trouble with ordinary reality.

AwesomeO-789 said:

Slade:

Make MP3/OGG/Whatever, go here and rename your music to the appropriate name listed as MIDI

For skies, download or make your sky, then add two markers; one above the sky texture and one below the sky texture and name them "TX_START" and "TX_END" respectively. Done!

Make sure you arrange your WAD so any custom files (music, textures, skies etc.) are above the map files so as to avoid corruption.

XWE:

I don't know how to do jack shit with XWE so I dunno

Hope that helps

I don't really understand this fully.

Reason I don't post my work on idgames that much, I have too many unfinished WIP. I have like 4 or 5.

I must've gone overboard on projects when I've first started mapping 3 years ago.

GoatLord said:

Let me put it this way. I'm 30 years old and I don't wear shoes with laces because I can't tie them properly. I put my shirts on backwards/inside out regularly, same with my flannel. I don't wear button-up shirts often because I rarely can align the buttons correctly. I can't go anywhere without a GPS, even my friend's apartment I've been to dozens of times. I've actually gotten lost while using a GPS. I've lost several smartphones in the last couple of years and five pairs of car keys. I can't parallel park (even though I have a license) and regularly smack my car into things, which is full of dents. Yesterday at a taqueria I almost walked off with a hand sanitizer station for some reason (SOBER, too). There's a lot of very simple things in life that are very difficult for me. I may be able to navigate the spiritual realm, but I have an awful lot of trouble with ordinary reality.

Fascinating. Well, Mozart couldn't dress himself, so you're in good company, high-minder! :3

Anyway, another Doom confession: I like all the levels. Some more than others, yes, and I'll agree that there are custom WADs out there that have surpassed the originals. But I don't really have a problem with any of the levels in Doom, Doom II, or Final Doom, and I've gotten the suspicion that that's sort of a minority viewpoint.

One of my worst shames is that I really can't get into Plutonia, or TNT.
I've never really sat down to play through them, and neither left a great impression with me from the first level.
I'll give them another shot in the future though.

I tried to buy the Doom movie nearby.

Spoiler

But they didn't even stock it despite being a big store.

Spoiler

A very big store.

Spoiler

:O

I've never completed Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultra Violence.
I don't like Sandy's maps, any of them.
I like how the soundtrack sounded on my super crappy SB16 for some reason.
I prefer the way Doom flows on the consoles to the split episodes on PC, but I prefer the PC version in every other way.

RoyBatty said:

I like how the soundtrack sounded on my super crappy SB16 for some reason.
I prefer the way Doom flows on the consoles to the split episodes on PC, but I prefer the PC version in every other way.

ur aunder arrast

MathsDevil said:

My remaining challenge to complete now I call the 'Big Old-Fashioned Granddaddy Challenge' is to do Doom episodes 1 to 4 followed by Doom II on UV, every level from pistol start, AND with no looking up/down, but using autoaim (i.e. playing in the old-fashioned way).
Yesterday (Monday) I attempted it but died on Level 8 of Doom II, falling into the poison at the end.

Over the last three days I have had another attempt at the Big Old-Fashioned Granddaddy. I died today on level 30 of Doom II, having completed 62 levels consecutively without deaths/reloads and using autoaim. :-(

Match Report:

Thursday evening (E1M1 to E3M4 inclusive):
Doom Episode 1: A fairly routine performance, in which I treated the big monster trap at the end of E1M6 with total disrespect, shooting through it to the exit (so easy in Episode 1).
Episode 2: A nervous performance, especially on E2M3, in which I was below 30 per cent for a while, having to backtrack after hesitating on what is normally a totally effective fast route to the exit. On E2M6 I narrowly escaped being scratched to death by a baron, having done the areas of the level in the wrong order. On E2M8 I missed the cyberdemon so often that I feared running out of rockets. I didn't though.

Episode 3: Still nervy but more effective, got away with questionable tactics at the start of E3M2 but did well after that despite making it up as I went along.

Friday (E3M5 to Doom II Level 23 inclusive) A very nervous morning - the rules of my challenges don't allow me to do any training in between the proper play, and I was very edgy on E3M7, twice being mauled trying to pick up the blue armour. E3M8 was comfortable, even though a cacodemon and baron fight threatened to leave me short of allies against the mastermind.

Episode 4: One of my best ever performances on this episode, knowing it was harder than E1, E2 or E3 must have focused my mind.
E4M1: Nervy start, down to 61 per cent. Solid for the rest of it.
E4M2: Brilliant start, killed all the cacodemons without needing to jump into the poison. A comfortable finish.
E4M3: I relaxed a bit as this level is the easiest of E4 for me. Unnecessary injuries but never in significant danger.
E4M4: Very focused start, managed to put off the berserk pack until I had cleared the imps from the lower part of the map. Rushed to the exit easily.
E4M5: My best ever at this level, treated the monsters with respect and fought them in the right order. Jumped out the window to exit comfortably.
E4M6: A very controlled performance but I did suffer splash damage from the cyberdemon once, reducing me to 67 per cent. Took 25 minutes over this one.
E4M7: Relaxed a little but got the blue armour early enough to have plenty of resources to spare.
E4M8: Reduced to 79 per cent by the two imps at the start but standing back as the shooters fought each other, I was quite comfortable for the rest of the map.

Doom II:

Maps 01-03 Not many issues, although I got shot more than I would like on Map 03.
Map 04: I successfully used a line-of-sight bug to activate a former sergeant, opened the door to let him in and then killed him for his shotgun, which I then used to help fight the other shooters. I learned this trick because this map defeated me a few weeks ago and I really wanted to find a way to get better at a map which gives you no goodies at all, followed by a gauntlet of shooters!
Map 05: Killed chaingunners near the blue door from the start of the map, then picked up the blue armour and rushed to the exit. Comfortable.
Map 06: The secret megasphere at the start means the only real threat is the poison pit behind the red door. Comfortable.
Map 07: Although fully prepared to fight the arachnatrons, I managed to ride up on the last dying mancubus to exit. Haha.
Map 08: I have a very well worked-out strategy for this one, which involves activating the monster traps in just the right order to minimise/eliminate any risk. It worked so well on this occasion that I didn't really need the invulnerability in the cyberdemon room, but picked it up anyway.
Map 09: I had not trained for this level in the last few weeks but made it up as I went along surprisingly well. The infighting in the large room between the mancubuses and hell knights/cacodemons etc. was very effective.
Map 10: A hard map but my new strategy from training in the last few weeks worked a treat. Nowadays I strive to kill the cyberdemon at the end instead of running past him and I successfully executed this plan to a tee.
Map 11: Infighting helped between shooters and cacodemons but the start was much more comfortable than usual. Clever dodging kills the archvile without me taking damage. However at this stage I did finish the level more cautiously than usual, not willing to rush past the pain elementals etc.
Map 12: Got the green armour without a problem but panicked slightly at the mancubuses, soon regaining my composure. The way I killed the cacodemons at the end was clinical in the extreme as I darted in and out of the final room, taking one shot at a time before retreating. Then, having killed only the five cacos that were guarding switches, I flicked the switches and exited.
Map 13: Got well equipped early on and then embarked on a patient infighting-a-thon before rushing to the exit. BFG-ing the imps in the yellow key room definitely helps bring order nicely.
Map 14: Panicked a bit over the possibility of ghost monsters when struggling to kill the archvile, which hit me once (another hit probably would have killed me). The plasma did the trick though, then I was comfortable.
Map 15: Failed to jump onto the platform with the switch for the secret exit the first time, then nearly got killed by baron of hell/cacos/pain elementals. Regained my composure and reached the secret exit.
Map 31: On Friday evening this is when I lost my marbles. I took a wrong turn and had to punch a lot of demons, reduced to 43 per cent and finally reached the megasphere before exiting comfortably (normal exit).
Map 16: Got twitchy playing this one, started missing revenants with my super shotgun but managed to clear a path to the exit before picking up the invulnerability and legging it out.
Map 17: Played patiently but used the BFG against the archvile in the cage, using up all 40 cells I had. Then I realised I wanted cells for the arachnatron at the end but I saw more cells on the lift so I could kill the creepy crawlie quickly after all. Phew!
Map 18: Under a minute. 'Nuff said.
Map 19: Reduced to 22 per cent early on. Treat arachnatrons with respect, dammit! Recovered fully and then took extra care to clear the path to the exit by killing the crowd of spectres near the end. Used a secret to get the supercharge :-) Then I was fine.
Map 20: Got rather nervous (this is late on Friday evening) but gathered my resolve to rush to the exit just like I always do when playing casually.
Map 21: Awful start, almost killed. Regained my composure to rush to the exit.
Map 22: Took damage early on but was comforable after early jitters.
Map 23: Sometimes I think I am trying to die just to end the tension, but I got past the demons, despite questionable tactics. Missed the megasphere but performed well as I ran past an archvile and BFG-ed some demons and an arachnatron out of my way to run to the exit.

I finally stopped for the night on Friday standing at the start of level 24.

Saturday morning folks, and the nerves kicked in big time!
Map 24: Usually I make very light work of this in training, but in this 'pressure' situation I went too slow with lost souls near the green armour, encouraging cacodemons to join me from afar. Their advance concerned me while I was running towards a berserk pack so I retreated, using hell knights to help me kill the cacodemons. A plasma rifle I had collected was handy. I took the narrow paths VERY carefully at the end.

Map 25: Considering my woeful lack of confidence on the previous map, I did very well here, using the green armour to help me reach the megasphere comfortably and then sauntering to the exit.

Map 26: Made very heavy work of this map, not trusting myself to run on the path through the large canyon. However my slower tactics were OK, though I allowed myself at one stage to go down to just 25 per cent health before going back for the medikits I had saved up.

Map 27: Hairiest bit was picking up the yellow key under duress from hell knights and an archvile. Even though invulnerable my worry was if the way out closed I would have to use rockets and then get to the plasma rifle etc.. Anyway, this did not happen and I was able to run to the blue key, rocket some revenants and then get the red key while invulnerable and exit comfortably.

Map 28: Managed to get to the exit in under 1:30 but my nerves made me jittery.

Map 29: Concern about the high up revenants proved to be unfounded. I made the cacodemons and pain elementals fight while I hid in the cage where chaingunners had been. However at the end I had to retreat to activate a switch I had forgotten, because I was nervous.

Map 30: The. Wheels. Came. Off. I fell off trying to get to the switch. Then I missed with my first few rockets before finally getting a bit of rhythm going. Then an archvile spawned high up and I was more panicky than usual dealing with it (really hope my mouse is sweat resistant), got reduced to 3 per cent and was then finished off by a collection of other monsters in a vain attempt to reach a supercharge.