Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I have never completed Doom, any of it's levels, never played Plutonia, never played TNT Evilution, and I've never played any Doom wads.
I've only played Doom II and 5 of it's levels. The only reason I never finished MAP05 is because I got seriously lost.

I'm a disgrace to John Romero.

EDIT: I've finally completed E1M1. Yay.

Frisky said:

I have never completed Doom, any of it's levels, never played Plutonia, never played TNT Evilution, and I've never played any Doom wads.
I've only played Doom II and 5 of it's levels. The only reason I never finished MAP05 is because I got seriously lost.

Ah don't worry.... we aren't going to yell at you or anything. I mean hell I still play the same old levels (Episode 1 of Doom and Doom II MAPS01-10 respectively).

Most of the time I find myself playing Scythe 2 or Doom the way id Did...

Though I've already 100% Doom. I just CANNOT bring myself to play through Episode 4.... yeesh Episode 4 is such a mess... no new weapons, no new enemies, no new final boss, no actual difficulty progression... nope, instead it just bounces up and down.... up and down...

That's just not fun to me IMHO.

I haven't really played Plutonia all too much. I personally like TNT a helluva lot better... just never got around to finishing it.

If there's any Doom wads I'd recommend to you it'd be Scythe 2....

Fuck, I always mention Scythe 2.

Did I mention how much I love Scythe 2? Lol maybe it's because it reminds me of Diablo.... =P

Scythe 1 all day baby!

Edit: Frisky, I have to ask, why haven't you at least played through E1? I'm just very curious after reading that, it's not often you see people posting here who have hardly played and I'm intrigued as to why.

Doomkid said:

Scythe 1 all day baby!

Edit: Frisky, I have to ask, why haven't you at least played through E1? I'm just very curious after reading that, it's not often you see people posting here who have hardly played and I'm intrigued as to why.

Oh I really need to try out Scythe 1! I love Scythe 2, is Scythe 1 like Scythe 2 in terms of the same kinda Gothic vibe? If so HELL YES! =D

Scythe 1 follows similar themes to the Doom1/2 iwads, but with it's own spin and quite a lot more polish. The hellish maps near the end are very intense. With that said I'd love to hear a few suggestions for other high quality gothic themed SP/coop wads!

Frisky said:

Acknowledgement is the first step to true contrition, repent brother and be forgiven.

Doomkid said:

I honestly just don't feel like playing it. I find mapping for Doom a lot more fun so I've kind of just stuck to that.

cortlong50 said:

i think both the scythes are overrated as fuck.

there...now IVE said it.

Since cortlong mentioned wads, I think the same about Miasma. it's not that good.

Frisky said:

I honestly just don't feel like playing it. I find mapping for Doom a lot more fun so I've kind of just stuck to that.

Do you proceed to not play the maps you've made cause they're not fun?

When I see an invisibility sphere I usually take it, whether I want it or not. I just feel kinda bad about not taking the present that the author gives me.

I usually avoid chainsaws though.

Chainsaws are very helpful against Pinkies, Cacodemons (Since it seems to just completely stun them), and Pain Elementals but probably not too much else.

You can use chainsaws against things like barons when they are infighting other monsters. I actually don't like using the chainsaw against the caco without inducing infighting because there's a smallish chance it avoids painstun and bites you.

map idea: chainsaw only and mandatory blur spheres.

I feel more comfortable non-zerk fisting than I do with the chainsaw, tbh. bollocks weapon. I imagine it's probably easy to buff it up with dehacked though (faster rate, so single-target painchances are nearly guaranteed?)... might be worth toying with.

I've made a decorate wad that makes all monsters shoot rockets and also makes pinkydemons explode like a barrel when they bite. This is hilarious, especially when monsters infight. But the most ridiculous thing of all is when the chaingunner attacks; oh god, he destroys everything. Also ridiculous when pinkie bites another monster and they both explode and die.

ChekaAgent said:

I've made a decorate wad that makes all monsters shoot rockets and also makes pinkydemons explode like a barrel when they bite. This is hilarious, especially when monsters infight. But the most ridiculous thing of all is when the chaingunner attacks; oh god, he destroys everything. Also ridiculous when pinkie bites another monster and they both explode and die.

So it's Michael Bay's Doom then.

Hoodie said:

Do you proceed to not play the maps you've made cause they're not fun?

No, I do play the maps I've made and they can honestly be fun sometimes.

I HATE that Brutal Doom often replaces invisibility with a tied up Marine!

As a map-maker, I'd like to have the option of putting an invisibility sphere!!

^ Easy help: Don't play your maps with Brutal Doom and build them without an assumption that anybody will play them with Brutal Doom.

MetroidJunkie said:

Not everything has to be for Brutal Doom.

Yet people downvote any WAD that doesn't have full Brutal Doom compatibility.

Sgt Ender said:

Yet people downvote any WAD that doesn't have full Brutal Doom compatibility.

Oh no, my future maps :s

I could've sworn that Brutal Doom added the blur spheres back in as a CVAR or something for that exact complaint.

GeorgeCostanza94 said:

I've never beaten Doom and Doom 2 without mouse look.

Eh, who even does anymore besides the old-schoolers?

I still believe doom 64 is best doom ever
And I would love a modern remake of it

Doom 3 doesn't count

Also I keep an excel sheet of every pwad I complete I have so far completed almost
300 of them including some megawads.
Info includes number, filename, title, game engine, if it's exclusive to a source port or not, whether I like it, and finally whether I have played it on brutal doom