Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Hectic said:

I resurrect myself when dying because if I didn't, I'd be too lazy to play again the whole level and would rage quit.

Why not just save?

Hectic said:

I resurrect myself when dying because if I didn't, I'd be too lazy to play again the whole level and would rage quit.

I do this when testing levels, then allow myself to be beaten down to near-death to get a gauge for areas that need balancing within my levels. I try to resist doing this on other people's maps, but sometimes I instinctively tap on my bound resurrect key.

Rathori said:

Why not just save?

Sometimes you get too into the game and just forget? I know I do.

nicolas monti said:

Exactly, but placing things makes enormous difference regarding to gameplay and thus great difference for the final product. Sometimes the "placing things" step made me tweak some rooms, and I liked to think how to improve things while trying to keep original layout concepts the best I could.
That being said yes.. to test repeatedly the maps just to add some medikit or remove some cell and play the whole level again is not a big entertainment.

Yeah, I agree. I hate when I make a setup and when I playtest it feels like shit lol

I wouldn't say placing things is the worst part though, actually I like it: to think about how to ambush the player and create different and interesting setups and etc. The problem is with testing repeteadly, IMO.

Hectic said:

i feel ya man
i used to do that all the time, but now i just at the beginning and middle of a level.

Sometimes, when I'm in a big open space of a map:

- I IDDQD
- I IDKFA/IDFA
- Go to a corner
- Bring out rocket launcher
- Run and fire the RL together
- Race against the rocket

It feels nice.

I never completed a megawad (I only like to open and chose a map randomly in it)
I hate megawads that uses stock doom 2 music
I Still like Running from the evil
I always examine pk3 s in slade even if I can't understand it.
I hate doing monster placement after mapping.
I spend time reading the reasons why wads are rejected
I learn't some of the basic ACS form Terry Wads
I made terry wads myself when I was bored. (Don't worry now I today try to make more serious maps)
I used skulltag for playing doom for 1 year.

HUNdebLeonidasX said:

I never completed a megawad (I only like to open and chose a map randomly in it)

Try Congestion: 64, it'll take you about 10 minutes (5 of them will be spent on... oh you'll find out.)

Although brutal doom gets shit, for one of many reasons for its fans requesting brutal doom support in custom maps, i feel i have done the same for countless mappers making new maps for hideous destructor support with lower difficulties. (though to be fair, hideous destructor works on very few maps, since too many hit-scanners at once is literally impossible)

I regret nothing about doing the above.

I will cheat in allies with summonfriend and watch a cybedemon shit on everything when bored.

I have decent mapmaking knowledge (kinda) from working in dump 3, but haven't made a new map since then.

I DO regret that.

in addition to god-mode IDKFA, i also use MDK and summon bfgball x10 to deal with shit im too lazy to deal with conventionally.

many megawads I will not beat formally, but warp through levels just to skim them.

Rathori said:

Why not just save?

As someone who also uses resurrect, saves are too demanding.

HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Me too. But to actually play through the whole thing. Scares me.
*starts thinking of BTSX, AA, AV, etc, and all the failed attempts*

Too hardcore for me.

mumblemumble said:

As someone who also uses resurrect, saves are too demanding.

And I always thought that saves are a legalized cheat.

Though nothing really surprises me anymore.

Not to backseat mod, but we've talked about saving and people's opinions on it so many times. It's the doom confessional booth, not the Doom grognard complain about how other people play booth.

Since Doom in most cases on here means playing Doom user maps, I think people should just be happy people are playing and talking about this stuff in the first place. It's cool that there's so much interest in it, why worry about the details of the person playing it?

Maybe tough to find original content 149 pages in, but now we can call this the Doom Groundhog Day thread. :P

PsychoGoatee said:

It's the doom confessional booth, not the Doom grognard complain about how other people play booth.

It's a forum. People say things here.

And I wouldn't call it complaining. Although if I heard criticizm after such a "playthrough" I probably wouldn't take it very seriously, because it's not really playing.

PsychoGoatee said:

Maybe tough to find original content 149 pages in, but now we can call this the Doom Groundhog Day thread. :P

Only this thread? :)

Da Werecat said:

And I wouldn't call it complaining. Although if I heard criticizm after such a "playthrough" I probably wouldn't take it very seriously, because it's not really playing.

I just think the point of this topic is forgotten on occasion, and if you have strong opinions on such heady topics as what is "really playing", this topic doesn't seem like the best fit. Since being a confessional booth, it'd be intended to be non-judgmental, or at least that would make sense to me personally.

Today I was fighting a cyber I thought was still reasonably healthy with the BFG. As I got really close for what I expected to be the finishing two-shot, a lone stray revenant rocket hit the cyber and it went boom. :D

Don't know how thats a confession. But it is pretty cool.

Also, i never played Doom with -fast in my whole life, heh.

The player's bullets attacks (including shotgun pellets) do 5, 10, or 15 damage, where as a monster's bullet attacks do 3, 6, 9, 12, or 15 damage.

So the monsters do have a bit of a disadvantage damage wise as well, since they'll more often hit for less than max damage than the player would. (presumably)

Also, monster bullet attacks are wayyyyyyyyy more inaccurate than the player's.

nxGangrel said:

For a while I thought there was also a slight damage difference (to the players advantage)

Interesting. I didn't know that.

I have this default opinion where I "love Eternal Doom" which I mollify every so often by watching demos people have made for it (j4rio, TimeofDeath, Memfis and vdgg are all excellent players) and they remind me that it has putrid music, textures created largely by using the emboss tool, never-ending super shotgun gameplay and some of the most egregious usage of the crap trends in dooming - especially its liberal placement of crystal sectors, deep water and shootable paper walls.

the worst thing is that I then reach the "well, it can't be that bad while you're playing it" stage and boot it up myself and re-experience all those things.

I feel like I have a special relationship with the wad. like, less familiar players complain about having to activate a suit of armor or a tree to progress, or that it overuses textures, or that it hides revenants behind opaque-yet-permeable walls, or that you have to revisit all the skull switches twice in the best level... but those are the good things about the level set. Everything else about it is awful. thanks TNT

some of the more ambient pieces are fine. I dunno, the motifs in the music repeat so often, not only in terms of consecutive plays but also in that they often appear in more than one song, that they sorta become mindnumbing to me.

I always try and focus on avoiding the bright and flashy type of projectiles be it imp fireball or anything that would cause damage..... However, I always seem to strafe right into the path of whatever is coming no matter how hard I "try" to focus on not doing so....

I think its those god damn adventure games that require you to collect bright objects be it for points or power ups. And my subconscious just thinks "collect that" when really it should be "Don't get hit by that".

I am still trying to teach myself no & just don't. :-)

- Usually when megawads are released, you hear the same music over and over again.
- Slaughter maps!!! .... something I've never really tried creating although they are fun to play with fast weapons, infinite ammo and huge amounts of health. Or by summoning friendly Cyberdemons or Ghouls.
- Community projects that just seem to lose interest just to overfuss, look nothing is perfect .... and nothing will be perfect.
- We need more classic-style maps, dtwid-inspired for example. I grew up in the 90's .... you know me.