The Doom Confessional Booth

I've been into mapping since 8 years as for now.
I still don't consider myself pretty much talented.

If I talk about the base games (i.e. not considering mods and WADs) I don't think Doom and Doom 2 are that great. In fact, I don't even consider them to be among my favorite games.

43 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

If I talk about the base games (i.e. not considering mods and WADs) I don't think Doom and Doom 2 are that great. In fact, I don't even consider them to be among my favorite games.

SADDOOM2.jpg

4 people like this

I keep replaying like first 2 maps for a few years every day, and I am not even sure if I ever completed the game. Like I know all the maps, but did I have a normal playthrough? Not that like I don't want to complete it, but I just can't.

I haven't beaten more than 17 of the Doom 2 maps from scratch on nightmare. Some I have never attempted...

17 hours ago, zokum said:

I haven't beaten more than 17 of the Doom 2 maps from scratch on nightmare. Some I have never attempted...

Ha! That's about 17 more than I've ever beaten on Nightmare.

Speaking of Nightmare, I often survive playthroughs merely by scumming on respawning powerups and stuff.

1. I've never completed an official IWAD (I've done DOOM.WAD up to Limbo map), or a a Megawad. in fact I've never completed a game with a campaign longer than ~1 hour. 

2. I really like the Doom Movie

53 minutes ago, DrPengin said:

1. I've never completed an official IWAD (I've done DOOM.WAD up to Limbo map)

Eh, you're about 10 minutes from the end, then. Might as well press on. (Bah to episode 4).

I've played the easiest difficulty on the SNES version of Doom when I started because fuck HMP or UV...later, I got better...

8 minutes ago, damerell said:

(Bah to episode 4).

ive noticed a lot of people here hate Thy Flesh Consumed. Why? I think its a good addon...

I don't like Thy Flesh Consumed that much too, but I don't hate it...Maybe it's the initial stages of the feel of the episode as a whole...

I'm starting to realize the often maligned city maps in Doom 2 are actually really great, and it's really just a matter of appreciating how to navigate them.

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I'm starting to realize the often maligned city maps in Doom 2 are actually really great, and it's really just a matter of appreciating how to navigate them.

kinda hard to appreciate when your directional skills suck :/

8 hours ago, ImpMan11203 said:

ive noticed a lot of people here hate Thy Flesh Consumed. Why? I think its a good addon...

I wouldn't say "hate" but I don't feel any more desire to beat it than I do to beat MAP30, and I certainly think DrPengin can finish E3M7 Limbo, go beat the Spiderdemon, sit back and go "there, that's Doom 1 finished".

The difficulty is all over the place (and of course E4M1, while it can be done, rather breaks the existing understanding that it's normal and feasible to go for 100% kills).

I feel there's a lot of Doom 2 style design of the kind that makes you wonder if Id secretly had an engine with vertical look at the time - if I can't look down it is a bit harsh to put me on a ledge with tomatoes below me shooting up. There's also a lot of (also Doom 2 esque) walking on the edge of sheer drops where falling will be very bad, a bit harsh in a game where you not only can't see your feet but can't even look at where they're not, and strongly discouraging the usual fast maneuver style of play.

I think a lot of people also prefer the Doom 2 monster set and playing with the SSG, although I'm not among them.