Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I think I've been saying Arch-vile wrong this whole time. I've always said it as "Arch-ville" (as if it was a city or a town, or how you would say "vil" in vilified), and not "Arch-vile" (saying it like "vial" or the word vile that means evil).

Laugh away.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:50 PM, Boomslang said:

i put my DOOM 1 and 2 WADS on a secret thumbdrive for safe keeping..

Hey, I keep a local copy of almost every single IWAD I obtain, legit or not, in an IWAD master folder that I also consider keeping in a thumbdrive, so you're not alone.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:27 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You can login using other platforms too (as long as you use the same e-mail)

Yes I know, but I can't login with no "platform", because it says "This e-mail is used by another user". Thank you for the answer though.

So I made a monster closet with a pain elemental, and later chose to relocate it. It used to be at the ground level of a room, and then I made it overlook a courtyard from high above. Except... the pain elemental was only there on Ultra Violence. Only today did I notice that on HNTR it's a pinky instead. And so after the relocation it would just stay up there and run in circles. What a fearsome ambush.

I defeated the IoS once and never again bothered seriously attempting to do it again.

I could never finish one episode on nightmare.

I think Doom 64 is a tad overrated, but it doesn't bother me.

Eye-Dee software? I did that until ~2015 myself, heh. I suppose until you're exposed to it being actually spoken aloud you're not going to know how it's supposed to be said!

I too conserve ammo too much, a habit I'm trying to break.

The icon of sin maps are always the least fun for me. I agree

I always consider level 29 of any map the real finale

It's kind of a let down ending I feel. 

I only played 6 hours of Doom Eternal and haven't played since that first weekend when it was released. Not that I don't like the game, tho I could do without the Prince of Perisa swinger poles. I just went back into editing Doom mode and this one map I'm working on is really taking my attention. I probably should have waited for a Eternal sale instead of forking out $80 and then barely playing. Oh well, saving it for later.

I just checked an old unread email and found that this gif I made was temporarily auto-flagged for adult content on Tumblr.

tumblr_pv42737XXE1xu2sg2o1_640.gifv

It's nice to know that my sprite edit turned out so sexy.

I had absolutely no clue about what the slain Doomguy was in Duke Nukem 3D's E1L3 behind the hollow cross in the prison chapel (being a Hungarian kid at, like, age 5? when I first came accross it) but to me, it seemed like it was a limbless torso of a presumably eastern male person with a mauled-beyond-recognition face and a turban on his head.
latest?cb=20070319154813
Can't unsee the "turban" now, huh?
To be fair, earlier in the episode, E1L1 features a vent which is a shortcut to the red key room, and in the hidden room before there is a captured woman enclosed in the alien goo, and same silly me believed it was a pig with a disproportionally huge nose and nostrils.
311787597_Pigcapturedalienwoman.png.9feaaca0a5bf7d9958422a0149cfe231.png

I honestly even expected it to make snorting noises.

Edited by The_MártonJános

29 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

i have never used the SSG in my initial campaign run (including mappacks/mods) because it was so god damn overpowered and useless at the same time

How could it possibly be both?

So it either is or it isn't.  Which means it's better optimized for CQC...

What was your go-to weapon?  Also, what do you think of the SSG now?

On 3/31/2020 at 11:45 PM, Senor500 said:

I defeated the IoS once and never again bothered seriously attempting to do it again.

It was only in the 2010s I did MAP01-29 (and 31-32) of Doom 2 on UV with no in-level saving, and even after doing that, I decided I could quite happily go to my grave without ever firing a rocket into that wall.

I can beat episodes 1-3 of Doom on Nightmare straight through with no saves but I can't beat MAP04 on Nightmare.

I got Doom II legit (a friend got it for me) plus Master Levels, and got the Ultimate Doom IWAD from my younger brother (so that he could play it and so that I could get the IWAD file from him), but I pirated The Plutonia Experiment and TNT: Evilution.  It wasn't until a couple years later I realized that those were actually commercial IWAD files... so, at the time, I had no idea why these mapsets were a little harder to find considering how well talked about they were... :P

On 4/18/2020 at 2:28 AM, DoomKrakken said:

So it either is or it isn't.  Which means it's better optimized for CQC...

not necessarily homie. two problems can't balance themselves out, they all weigh differently

i can easily get close to monsters and remove the chunks of shit from existence, but at the same time going mid-to-long range it's useless

it's why i don't use it, it's too quirky

On 4/18/2020 at 2:28 AM, DoomKrakken said:

What was your go-to weapon?  Also, what do you think of the SSG now?

shotgun for sniping, chaingun for the tapshots and thats about it. i never used any other weapon except for "special" occasions or when i realize im running out of ammo

SSG still SUCKS. i still prefer the shotgun

38 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

not necessarily homie. two problems can't balance themselves out, they all weigh differently

i can easily get close to monsters and remove the chunks of shit from existence, but at the same time going mid-to-long range it's useless

it's why i don't use it, it's too quirky

Every weapon has its strength and weakness. You mentioned that you use shotgun for sniping and chaingun for tapshots. Thus sniping (long range combat) is the strength/quirk of the shotgun and chaingun.

I don't get how SSG is more quirky than shotgun/chaingun. It just has a different role. SSG is simply a closed range combat weapon. It excels at close combat while does poor at long range. The shotgun/chaingun excel at long range while being inferior to SSG at close range. Each weapon has a role.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

Every weapon has its strength and weakness. You mentioned that you use shotgun for sniping and chaingun for tapshots. Thus sniping (long range combat) is the strength/quirk of the shotgun and chaingun.

strength and weaknesses have ratios, if they deviate too far, the weapon's outright retarded. case in point: SSG

SSG shoots 20 pellets that are super-spread compared to shotgun's 5 (or 6) in a pattern that's effectively the same. SSG deals insane amounts of damage but shotgun's damage is better because it doesn't annihiliate most demons in just few shots relative to the SSG.

3 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I don't get how SSG is more quirky than shotgun/chaingun. It just has a different role. SSG is simply a closed range combat weapon. 

so's the shotgun, but not in an amplified fashion.

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

It excels at close combat while does poor at long range. The shotgun/chaingun excel at long range while being inferior to SSG at close range. Each weapon has a role.

and shotgun overall excels throughout the gameplay because it's much more consistent to handle (<consistency in an RNG game) and is more versatile.

30 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

strength and weaknesses have ratios, if they deviate too far, the weapon's outright retarded.

Retarded is not the right word this. More "specialized" is the term I would use for SSG. You are right that regular shotgun is more versatile than SSG because it is not as specialized but that doesn't mean that the SSG doesn't have its uses.

Retarded would be something like the pistol, which becomes completely useless once the chaingun is obtained. Pistol has zero use as the chaingun with tapshooting provides 100% accuracy.

30 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

and shotgun overall excels throughout the gameplay because it's much more consistent to handle (<consistency in an RNG game) and is more versatile.

Actually the SSG is more consistent than the SG, in terms of pure damage output (not factoring the accuracy because SSG simply shouldn't be used at mid/long range).

To understand this, imagine a weapon which fires a single pellet at a time. Each pellet does 5,10 or 15 damage according to Doom's RNG. Now when a weapon is fired once, the pellet will do either 5,10 or 15 damage. However when a weapon is fired again, the next pellet might do different damage. If we keep firing the weapon (say we fired it 20 times), the average of each pellet damage would become close to 10 (the mean of the damage range).

Now the shotgun fires 7 pellets and the SSG fires 20 pellets. Since SSG fires more pellets per shot, the average of each pellet damage is closer to 10 than in shotgun's case. Thus, there is less damage variation in practice compared to the shotgun.

Edited by ReaperAA

Just now, ReaperAA said:

Retarded is not the right word this. More "specialized" is the term I would use for SSG. You are right that regular shotgun is more versatile than SSG because it is not as specialized but that doesn't mean that the SSG doesn't have its uses.

i highly doubt SSG can do anything the shotgun can't apart from shaving off few miliseconds (or wasting seconds reloading). it's a phenomena i call retard strength

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

Retarded would be something like the pistol, which becomes completely useless once the chaingun is obtained. Pistol has zero use as the chaingun with tapshooting provides 100% accuracy.

we use words differently, and you misused contexts aswell. the "retarded" that you used is different from the one that i did. i called SSG's ratios retarded because it can do so well in one thing and completely suck at the other.

3 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Actually the SSG is more consistent than the SG, in terms of pure damage output (not factoring the accuracy because SSG simply shouldn't be used at mid/long range).

if you're not gonna factor in accuracy ,the most vital part that separates both shotguns, then there's no point in comparing them.

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

To understand this, imagine a weapon which fires a single pellet at a time. Each pellet does 5,10 or 15 damage according to Doom's RNG. Now when a weapon is fired once, the pellet will do either 5,10 or 15 damage. However when a weapon is fired again, the next pellet might do different damage. If we keep firing the weapon, the average of each pellet damage would become close to 10 (the mean of the damage range).

randomness can never be averaged or studied. what you're looking for is called a median

6 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Now the shotgun fires 7 pellets and the SSG fires 20 pellets. Since SSG fires more pellets per shot, the average of each pellet damage is closer to 10 than in shotgun's case. Thus, there is less damage variation in practice compared to the shotgun.

i don't see what you're proving with this. even if all of SSG's pellets deal 5 damage while shotgun's deal 10, SSG will obviously still be reigning in terms of damage output, and this is in a scenario where it's extremely rare to the point where it's effectively impossible without modifying the game in some way. 

oh yeah, i said this already, but the word you're looking for is MEDIAN. averages don't matter in sequences that can never be replicated

2 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

i highly doubt SSG can do anything the shotgun can't apart from shaving off few miliseconds (or wasting seconds reloading).

Those few milliseconds can mean all the difference between life and death. Also note that the SSG is also more ammo efficient than the Shotgun (7 pellets for 1 ammo vs 20 pellets for 2 ammo).

4 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

if you're not gonna factor in accuracy ,the most vital part that separates both shotguns, then there's no point in comparing them.

The reason I didn't factor the accuracy is because it is fairly easy to consistently hit all 20 pellets at close range. Remember that I am not recommending SSG for mid/long range combat.

7 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

i don't see what you're proving with this. even if all of SSG's pellets deal 5 damage while shotgun's deal 10, SSG will obviously still be reigning in terms of damage output, and this is in a scenario where it's extremely rare to the point where it's effectively impossible without modifying the game in some way. 

oh yeah, i said this already, but the word you're looking for is MEDIAN. averages don't matter in sequences that can never be replicated

Ok I admit I am struggling to explain this in words. Please bear with me :p

What I am saying is that the higher the number of pellets involved, the average damage of each pellet will get closer and closer to 10.

Suppose you fire a single pellet/bullet from the chaingun. You will do either 5 damage, 10 damage or 15 damage with equal probability. This would mean that if you fire 100 bullets, the damage range should be anywhere between 500 (assuming all pellets do 5 damage) to 1500 (assuming all pellets do 15 damage). However, in reality, the total damage would almost always be close to 1000 because the average of damages done by all the pellets would be closer to 10.

Now because the SSG fires more pellets than the shotgun, the average damage would be closer to 10. Thus it would mean that the total damage done by 1 burst of SSG would be more consistent.

30 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Those few milliseconds can mean all the difference between life and death. Also note that the SSG is also more ammo efficient than the Shotgun (7 pellets for 1 ammo vs 20 pellets for 2 ammo).

in a game like DOOM, miliseconds mean nothing unless you're executing insanely hard exploits which serve little advantage gameplay-wise. and there's no need to care about ammo since almost every doom map ever made has enough shotgunners to supply you with ammunition

31 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

The reason I didn't factor the accuracy is because it is fairly easy to consistently hit all 20 pellets at close range. Remember that I am not recommending SSG for mid/long range combat.

nobody is, all i'm saying is shotgun is more consistent and more versatile. it's better to continue using it than switching arsenal

32 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Ok I admit I am struggling to explain this in words. Please bear with me :p

i'm trying

What I am saying is that the higher the number of pellets involved, the average damage of each pellet will get closer and closer to 10.

i'm still not sure what this proves

Suppose you fire a single pellet/bullet from the chaingun. You will do either 5 damage, 10 damage or 15 damage with equal probability. This would mean that if you fire 100 bullets, the damage range should be anywhere between 500 (assuming all pellets do 5 damage) to 1500 (assuming all pellets do 15 damage). However, in reality, the total damage would almost always be close to 1000 because the average of damages done by all the pellets would be closer to 10.

i still got the memo. i'm however still not sure what this proves

33 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Now because the SSG fires more pellets than the shotgun, the average damage would be closer to 10. Thus it would mean that the total damage done by 1 burst of SSG would be more consistent.

this is where factoring accuracy comes in, although in close range you're guaranteed an instakill for alot of enemies (by close i mean melee), anything further than that has a good chance of missing, thus wasting 4 ammo on what can be dealt with 2, or 1 if RNG loves you

15 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

in a game like DOOM, miliseconds mean nothing unless you're executing insanely hard exploits which serve little advantage gameplay-wise.

Sometimes there are situations where you need to kill a pesky archvile that is going revive monsters and you need to dispatch it quickly. Or a situation where you are locked in a small room with multiple revenants. In such cases, this means a lot. In iwads, there is seldom such a scenario. However, in some harder pwads, this situation is not so uncommon.

17 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

there's no need to care about ammo since almost every doom map ever made has enough shotgunners to supply you with ammunition

Again in iwads, this is true. However, the same cannot be said about some custom maps which are stingy in ammo.

22 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

nobody is, all i'm saying is shotgun is more consistent and more versatile. it's better to continue using it than switching arsenal

In the heat of the battle, you are right that you should stick with one weapon as weapon-switching has a long delay. However, once you get out of a combat situation and you know that you are going to enter a close range combat scenario, then equipping the SSG beforehand is not such a bad idea.

24 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

this is where factoring accuracy comes in, although in close range you're guaranteed an instakill for alot of enemies (by close i mean melee), anything further than that has a good chance of missing, thus wasting 4 ammo on what can be dealt with 2, or 1 if RNG loves you

Well I was assuming close range combat here (situation where both shotgun and SSG can hit all pellets on target).

49 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Sometimes there are situations where you need to kill a pesky archvile that is going revive monsters and you need to dispatch it quickly. Or a situation where you are locked in a small room with multiple revenants. In such cases, this means a lot. In iwads, there is seldom such a scenario. However, in some harder pwads, this situation is not so uncommon.

i'd say in such situations it's uses can be justified. but i still use shotgun regardless anyway. i like to take the harder route for the sake of it being hard

49 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Again in iwads, this is true. However, the same cannot be said about some custom maps which are stingy in ammo.

statement was generalization but atleast you got my idea

50 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

In the heat of the battle, you are right that you should stick with one weapon as weapon-switching has a long delay. However, once you get out of a combat situation and you know that you are going to enter a close range combat scenario, then equipping the SSG beforehand is not such a bad idea.

i find myself imagining switching through arsenals constantly as more threats unexpectedly emerge. it doesn't seem to be a problem for those who have it equipped all the time however

51 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Well I was assuming close range combat here (situation where both shotgun and SSG can hit all pellets on target).

i like to think broader than just specific scenarios

I pre-ordered Doom Eternal but, aside from dabbling in the first few maps, am refusing to play it until a major bugfix patch comes out.