Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

MSPaintR0cks said:

I am longing for a doom wad with ponies <3

Yeah, me too. I've been waiting to be blasting them to gibs ever since the MLP fad showed up!

killer2 said:

Yeah, me too. I've been waiting to be blasting them to gibs ever since the MLP fad showed up!

X100 like

My friend made a spray of a pony being blown to smitheroons. Should be somewhere on GameBanana.

HMM ontopic...I always looked at the cyberdemon's nostrils as it's eyes. It looks significantly more threatening looking at it properly now.

Well, some tracks would even fit into "normal" maps. But I think my favourite one is that e2m2 music parody from "u are a fag".

Foxpup said:

For the longest time I thought it was man-CUBE-us, but now I'm fairly sure it's MANK-you-bus. At least, I think it is. Now I don't know what to think.

it is.

MÅN-q-bus.

Scypek2 said:

Well, some tracks would even fit into "normal" maps. But I think my favourite one is that e2m2 music parody from "u are a fag".

My favourite is Thor's Oatmeal(the track for MAP08). I also noticed the the music for MAP10 could pass for serious if that whining sound wasn't there.

Obsidian said:

My favourite is Thor's Oatmeal(the track for MAP08). I also noticed the the music for MAP10 could pass for serious if that whining sound wasn't there.

Even as silly as it was I did enjoy the soundtracks. And Thor's Oatmeal was my favorite. Nothing but red meatballs...and lightning.

Kept crashing on the one with the shit ton of cyberdemons. Didn't know what different software modes were back then.

How old is that wad now? Wasn't the leader Hyena or something?

Platinum Shell said:

Even as silly as it was I did enjoy the soundtracks. And Thor's Oatmeal was my favorite. Nothing but red meatballs...and lightning.

Kept crashing on the one with the shit ton of cyberdemons. Didn't know what different software modes were back then.

How old is that wad now? Wasn't the leader Hyena or something?

Yeah, it was. Here's the website with all the updates. It's good for a chuckle.

Platinum Shell said:

HMM ontopic...I always looked at the cyberdemon's nostrils as it's eyes. It looks significantly more threatening looking at it properly now.

Same here. Took me a while to work out where its real eyes were.

I used to think the Cyberdemon's skin was dark orange.

I've never beaten Final Doom by myself. My friend and I just beat Evilution this weekend. We've been playing through each major wad over the past several weekends.

I always pistol start on maps, always play on UV (unless the mod totally kicks my ass, but even then, I just take it most of the time) and save VERY seldomly(usually before trying to see if there's something in lava or trying some other wacky thing). I get pretty mad if a normal mod without new weapons doesn't work with pistol start. I get REALLY mad when it's not stated in the text file, or when some maps work with it but others don't (or are insanely frustrating from pistol start).
This no saving thing occasionally makes me ragequit something, sometimes not playing it for months, and it's the major reason why I gave up slaughtermaps. Does not only happen to doom.

It makes the game more challenging and fun for me. This is mostly because most maps are designed to be doable from pistol start. Starting with blue armor and full arsenal makes most levels way too easy for me.

If you couldn't finish the level with weapons, why would you be able to without? The whole single player, die and start over with a pistol just never appealed to me. The monsters are coming back, why lose all your weapons too? It's a big part of why I almost always play coop.

This is the confessional thread. I'm confessing that I don't get it, not challenging those who do.

qoncept said:

If you couldn't finish the level with weapons, why would you be able to without?

Hmm...this is a pretty good point considering the death->pistol start thing, although you can always die because of a mistake and thus be penalized for it. Also, there are people (like me) who find levels too easy normally, so they always play from pistol start. It's an interesting way to explore new challenges. For some reason it feels more fun too.

killer2 said:

Hmm...this is a pretty good point considering the death->pistol start thing, although you can always die because of a mistake and thus be penalized for it. Also, there are people (like me) who find levels too easy normally, so they always play from pistol start. It's an interesting way to explore new challenges. For some reason it feels more fun too.

But you're already being penalized by having to start over.. I don't know, using the pistol has always been like torture for me anyway -- I said in some thread that if a map doesn't have an abundance of shotgun shells -- AT LEAST enough to keep most people going with the regular shotgun, I probably won't enjoy it. I'm glad games like Unreal gave you unlimited bullets for the pistol at least.

qoncept said:

If you couldn't finish the level with weapons, why would you be able to without?

Foreknowledge.

Well, you can run a co-op game with just one player, like this:
chocolate-doom -solo-net -iwad doom.wad -episode 1

And the monsters stay dead, but the items you pickup also don't respawn (only the pre-placed weapons remain). That might make some boss fights difficult, if for example you die after picking up all the energy cells in the map. You might end up dying a bunch of times before managing to kill the end boss(es).

Unless the gameplay is constantly good, I generally hate really long maps, because of how impatient I am!

Never used IDDQD cheat. There's been times where I've been urged to but just left it.

I easily get confused in maps even if I know them well. I'm so noobish, haha.

hex11 said:

Well, you can run a co-op game with just one player, like this:
chocolate-doom -solo-net -iwad doom.wad -episode 1

And the monsters stay dead, but the items you pickup also don't respawn (only the pre-placed weapons remain). That might make some boss fights difficult, if for example you die after picking up all the energy cells in the map. You might end up dying a bunch of times before managing to kill the end boss(es).

I've got a buddy that's up for playing one night a week. We spawn with a shotgun and keep weapons after we die. Maybe that makes it "too easy" but we really don't die a lot, so it doesn't make a huge difference. If we play the iwads we play Survival in Skulltag.

I find myself using the "revive" cheat in zdoom when playing a particularly long level and dying halfway through (or even worse, at the end) without saving. I hate doing it, and I consider it very cheap, but I just can't find the urge to start over. The worst thing is that once I do it, I hate myself for doing it and usually stop playing the wad I did this in.

killer2 said:

I find myself using the "revive" cheat in zdoom when playing a particularly long level and dying halfway through (or even worse, at the end) without saving. I hate doing it, and I consider it very cheap, but I just can't find the urge to start over. The worst thing is that once I do it, I hate myself for doing it and usually stop playing the wad I did this in.

Seconded.

killer2 said:

I keep forgetting about this cheat. I should use it more often!

Hellbent said:

I keep forgetting about this cheat. I should use it more often!

Conversely, I wish I'd never found it.

I usually play with Autosave.wad set on 100 seconds, so I only pistol-start in first levels of wads.

I think that vanilla's limits and bugs are stupid. I can map with them in mind, but I prefer boom format.

I think that it was short sighted of id to only include these actions, sector effects, etc.. that were needed for stock levels to run. Boom's generalized actions and effects are way to go!

I think that trollwads should have no place on /idgames ! It should only host unintentionaly bad wads as example how to not do it.

Sokoro said:

I think that it was short sighted of id to only include these actions, sector effects, etc.. that were needed for stock levels to run. Boom's generalized actions and effects are way to go!

Short sighted? Not really. They either didn't have the technology, or they didn't have the time. Remember, noone forces you to map for vanilla. Hell, I'd enjoy another Zdoom release if someone was to make it.