Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Sokoro said:

I think that trollwads should have no place on /idgames ! It should only host unintentionaly bad wads as example how to not do it.

I guess this is understandable with the current influx of crap, but there's a sort of beauty to be found in well crafted satire(Turbocharged Arcade, Mock 2, etc).

If everyone had SGI workstations at home in 1993, things would be different. But a lot of people still had 386 machines, cheap video card, and sometimes no sound card. And memory was super-expensive. I paid about $150 for 4 MB RAM in 1994...

hex11 said:

If everyone had SGI workstations at home in 1993, things would be different. But a lot of people still had 386 machines, cheap video card, and sometimes no sound card. And memory was super-expensive. I paid about $150 for 4 MB RAM in 1994...

That's a very good point. Thanks for sharing, it's interesting to know how things were a while back.

Obsidian said:

I guess this is understandable with the current influx of crap, but there's a sort of beauty to be found in well crafted satire(Turbocharged Arcade, Mock 2, etc).

WAD Hell!

Demon_Collector said:

I only played Plutonia for the first time this year

Heh, I've never played Plutonia.

Or Evilution.

Or Doom 1.

Heh.

Obsidian said:

Heh, I've never played Plutonia.

Or Evilution.

Or Doom 1.

Heh.

You've only played Doom II? What are you waiting for? =P
The original Doom maps are better than Doom II.

Xaser said:

MAN-CUBE-BUS

It's half-man, half-cube, and half-bus.

WHO'S A MAN AND A HALF? I'M A MAN AND A HALF.

Memfis said:

But OpenGL lighting really sucks for me.

The normal lighting , s badyes, because there's no normal light fade and no light around the player, iuti wasn't there n option in GZDOom that made the fade appear?

Also, since my computer lags when GZDoom run now, I'm stuck with "crappy" software renderer, as I used to call it; Now I admit: it isn't as crappy as I thought it was; I take that back, as I'm now forced to use it.

Also, sorry for weird writing; The web browser on my phone constantly hides what I'm writing in the title bar, so I ca never see what I'm writing, s I also can't fix errors.

Also, I think he pallette is iffy, like a previous person said. I fnd the blues ugly and the lack of purples bad. Also, I don't like how the goldish-yellow and green colors appear grey in the darkness while every other color fades.

LkMax said:

I originally played Doom II ages ago, so I had much more memories of it. I'm not overly rich either, but I'll get 'em one day!

I still haven't beaten Hell Revealed on Ultra Violence (I'm currently stuck at MAP23).

I've never tried speedrunning, it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I still use saves, even though I'm getting better and better at Doom. I just hate when I'm killed in the middle or at the end of a level and have to go through it once more.

I virulently hate most "enhancement" mods, such as Brutal Doom. They're just an insult to this wonderful game, at least in my humble opinion. I haven't even tried playing Doom with freelook or crosshairs.

I never actually play any FPSs besides Doom and Wolfenstein 3D.

Um... *gasp* I actually enjoy most Sandy Petersen maps, even more than Romero's. Furthermore, I think the latter is a tad overrated within the Doom community (KDITD was excellent, and so were Perfect Hatred and Against Thee Wickedly, but his maps for Doom 2 were seriously disappointing for the most part).

Xane123 said:

The normal lighting , s badyes, because there's no normal light fade and no light around the player, iuti wasn't there n option in GZDOom that made the fade appear?

Software renderer interprets light levels as fog density of a sector. Most OpenGL ports interpret sector light levels first and foremost as a COLOR of a sector and only then add some fog. GZDoom tries to fix the light fading by brightening up near areas with shaders (sector light mode "Doom") but sometimes ends up way off compared to the software renderer because it is only an approximation that can't replace the use of exactly the same lighting formulas as in software renderer.

The only port I know that seems to replace software renderer's lighting EXACTLY is EDGE. Too bad EDGE sucks at everything else :(.

Xane123 said:

Also, I think he pallette is iffy, like a previous person said. I fnd the blues ugly and the lack of purples bad. Also, I don't like how the goldish-yellow and green colors appear grey in the darkness while every other color fades.

Yeah, that's the bad side of palette. But there is a good side too:
* Bloody-red textures have added detail because of too different fading of different colors.
* Colormaps allow to implement some kind of brightmaps that preserve the saturation of darkened textures. Probably the best example is Heretic/Hexen lava that always looks saturated in software renderer but looks washed-out in OpenGL renderer unless sector light level is 255.
* Marble green is warmer and wood is brighter for the reason above but this may be a matter of preference.

GLBoom-plus has a fog-based lighting mode that looks really nice (very similar to Bruce and Maes's 32 bit software renderers with smooth lighting enabled), but seems to render everything too brightly compared to software.

LkMax said:

No way, Doom II maps are much better. Doom II is much more detailed and the game play is better.

Demon_Collector said:

No way, Doom II maps are much better. Doom II is much more detailed and the game play is better.

This isn't the thread for this kind of discussion.

Dragonsbrethren said:

GLBoom-plus has a fog-based lighting mode that looks really nice (very similar to Bruce and Maes's 32 bit software renderers with smooth lighting enabled), but seems to render everything too brightly compared to software.

Not everything but only what is close. Distant dark sectors fade to pitch black :(. Software renderer's fog is highly nonlinear. It fades from fullbright to dark very quickly (giving the "glow" effect to the player) but at some distance it almost doesn't fade so sectors appear lit regardless of distance. In contrast, GLBoom's fog fades linearly (or at least it looks linear, I dunno) and as a result closer areas appear too bright and distant areas appear too dark.

My confession: that's one of the main reasons why I prefer GZDoom to PrBoom for classic dooming. PrBoom's software renderer is full of prescision bugs, unlike ZDoom's perfectly accurate software renderer. PrBoom's opengl renderer still can't get lighting that's close to GZDoom's "Doom" lighting mode (although both are far from EDGE). Now that I can't live anymore without freeaim, finitely tall actors and general polish of ZDoom (no annoying micro bugs everywhere), I am spoiled :/.

- I am horrible at dodging. If there is a projectile, it will either hit a wall or it will hit me right in the face.
- I've never played on Nightmare mode. Not even once.

lest's go:
i love to play strange mods,
my computer doesn't support opengl,
my computer is a piece of a crap, despite i am studying for being a programmer,
i got bored of quake 1 after the 3° map.
i never directly played episode 4 of doom 1,
i prefer heretic over the doom series,
i don't play heretic so much often,
i only make mod for doom 2,
i quite never play in uv difficult,
i don't like ANY of the major megawads,
i insanely love jokewad,
the only musics i like from doom 2 are from map01 and map10,
i hate revenats but i spawn them everywere,
i find the cacoes cute, just look at them!
i like maps where you can avoid useless battles,
i really finished only heretic , doom 2 and mock 2,
i don't like very detailed maps even if i like them (what?).

this must be all i think :S

- I used to do DooM roleplaying online. Needless to say, it was very stupid and very embarrassing.
- I don't understand how topics work and post boasts and commonly held opinions in the confession threads.

i don't like ANY of the major megawads,

No AV, Scythe/2, HR/2, SoD, KSS, Epic/2??????????

Woah.

I am willing to sacrifice a large portion of my time to finish something on UV instead of changing difficulty, even if I find it extremely frustrating.

killer2 said:

I am willing to sacrifice a large portion of my time to finish something on UV instead of changing difficulty, even if I find it extremely frustrating.

You're not the only one. :-)

Cell said:

I assume he means the IWADs by "major megawads"...

nope, i mean the megaPwads, especially HR\2 bored me to death :|. i usually get bored of a wad after the 11th map, then i save, and usualy after that a new version of zdoom is released, so i cannot longer play that savegame. :S

CyberBaron said:
I've never played on Nightmare mode. Not even once.

I think I played once when it was first introduced and then never again :-P

As far as I remember, I've never beaten Doom 1 on ultra-violance until yesterday. I have beaten Doom 2 on ultra-violance years ago strangely enough.

Guess I never got around to it.

Never beaten any of the games all the way through on nightmare. I just gave up.

Cacowad said:

nope, i mean the megaPwads, especially HR\2 bored me to death :|. i usually get bored of a wad after the 11th map, then i save, and usualy after that a new version of zdoom is released, so i cannot longer play that savegame. :S

The only thing that drives me up the wall concerning megaPwads is the "automap-title-is-not-the-intent-title" anomaly. It is quite annoying in especially Alien Vendetta and HR2, where even the font colour is changed, but not the title.