Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Don't know if I already confessed this, but for most of my Doom career I've usually used at least god mode when I played. Though right now I'm playing Whispers of Satan with Brutal Doom and NOT using cheats. This is terrifying for me. (But also probably the best megawad I've played so far, I think)

I have NEVER completed ANY version of Doom/DoomII.
I really enjoyed the Doom movie.
I have never completed an episode of Doom on UV.

I sucketh at Doom!!!

- I´ve played through Doom 2 more times than I can count. I know all map names by memory. MAP22 is as much the Catacombs to me as it is MAP22.

- I've played UD almost as many times, but the maps are less thematic in nature and thus not as easy to store in my mind. Thus, I know all maps and I'd do good in a blindtest if I had a screenshot of it and had to place it in a slot E1M1 - E3M9, but I don't know their names. Episode 4 I know all maps by heart.

- Episode 4 of UD is my favorite episode.

- My favorite source port is Doom Legacy... And I'm a bit bummed about the fact that it won't work on my computer any longer, for whatever reason.

- I only discovered other source ports one or two years ago. Before that, all I played was Doom Legacy.

- Apart from TNT and Plutonia, which I've finished once each, I think (but can't remember) I've finished Hell Revealed and Plutonia 2. I know I've finished CC1. I might also have finished Herian. But that's all.

- I started CC2 and Reverie, but got bored with both. Reverie more recently, like two-three weeks ago.

- I don't enjoy huge maps. Part of why I quit Reverie.

- I have Doom 64 for the N64, and I've started it a dozen times and thoroughly enjoy it, but can't remember getting past MAP12 or something. Mostly because of the password system, which I hated.

Whenever I get the Berserk powerup, I try and finish the rest of the level by punching everything. It hardly ever ends well.

I never liked the hell and city levels in DOOM. I always like the space base levels.

If I load a PWAD and the very first thing I hear immediately as the first map starts is a Revenant, I open the menu again and select 'Quit Game'.

If I acquire a Berserk pack at any point in an IWAD map, I will use it as often as possible.

If a Zombieman somehow manages to hit me from the other side of a room, I will shout and swear at the screen like there's no tomorrow. I fucking hate this.

BaronOfStuff said:

If I load a PWAD and the very first thing I hear immediately as the first map starts is a Revenant, I open the menu again and select 'Quit Game'.

I don't blame you. Only sadists like to fight tough, hard-hitting monsters with a pistol. I forget which Community Chest it was from, but I still feel like this is the perfect time to say it:

Whomever designed Pistol Panic needs to go to hell.

Arjak said:

I don't blame you. Only sadists like to fight tough, hard-hitting monsters with a pistol.

It's not this at all, being underequipped in some skirmishes is part of Doom's charm; just look at E3M1 (tame by today's standards, but those two Cacodemons still soak up 80 bullets from the pathetic pea-shooter).

It's just when Revenants are being used for the sake of being used before anything even happens that I sigh heavily and stop -- or don't even allow myself to begin -- playing. Revenants. Goddamn mother-fucking Revenants all the fucking time. Give it a fucking rest.

I've never in single player played through any inofficial megawad that doesn't change the gameplay significantly from Doom through new weapons, monsters or as with the case of Daedalus, boring scripting and puzzles.

I used to think that doom maps were far worse than doom2 ones. I rarely played them and many people saying they are great convinced me that maybe I was wrong. But then, I played e3 recently and what the heck is that! Flatness! Simpleness! TECHBASES! Some secrets that activated just because I passed through some totally normal door, damaging water... There are some exceptions, but...
Well, Dis sums up this episode perfectly for me. And you may have different tastes, but that's just sure for me that when making doom 2 ID knew BETTER how to use their engine.

I thought that something was wrong with dtwid. It was probably too good to reflect doom iwad.

Episode 1 is probably the best (along with e4). E4 was done after they got used to their engine and got some sensible hell style idea, and e1... I don't know, maybe it wasn't a matter of the fact that you will play this one BEFORE paying.

I use noclip for faster backtracking. Yes, I am lazy fuckhead. :P
(Though I don't use it for completing levels. Guess that redeems bit? :3)

noob doomer said:

I agree, E3 was just lazy.. But Doom 2 was even worse - because it was meant to be a new game and they should have had an idea of direction and consistency then.

I can't even remember any of the maps from E3, except E3M8. Which honestly still doesn't feel as memorable a boss arena as the Tower of Babel.

Doom 2 is a mixed bag; it's got a handful of good maps, but there's some really crap maps mixed in there.

(empty) said:

I can't even remember any of the maps from E3, except E3M8. Which honestly still doesn't feel as memorable a boss arena as the Tower of Babel.

Doom 2 is a mixed bag; it's got a handful of good maps, but there's some really crap maps mixed in there.

Tower of Babel is by far the best boss map IMO. e2m8 and e4m8 are both very forgettable. e1m8 is good but obviously pretty easy.

qoncept said:

Tower of Babel is by far the best boss map IMO. e2m8 and e4m8 are both very forgettable. . .

- ERROR - ERROR - DOES NOT COMPUTE -

I'm a 100% kills/items/secret maniac. When I'm playing a new megawad, I save before exiting. If I have missed something, I load the save and try to find them. If I can't find the secret I've missed, I type idbeholda. When I find it, I load the game again since I haven't cheated in that save yet! It's pointless but that's how my notion about sincere gameplay goes. When I find out that the megawad has levels with bugs and oversights that prevent me getting 100% completion, I don't play it (iwads don't count). When I'm doing episode runs without saves (also in duke3d), I become frustrated, kill my character and ragequit ½ of the time whenever I miss something in the middle of the playthrough. I don't care about 100% in coop.

I don't particularly like any of the classic ID Doom games with the exception of E1. I think the mod makers have done a much superior job than ID.

Nothing shocking about it at all, there are only 4 main monster types in E1, of course the other episodes are more enjoyable.

valhallaist said:

I don't particularly like any of the classic ID Doom games with the exception of E1. I think the mod makers have done a much superior job than ID.

With all the years of experience we've had, it's to be expected that at least some of us have gotten pretty good at it by now!