Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Horrifying confession: I like Descent better than Doom and probably always will. It took up more of my childhood, it is the first game I played online, it is the first game I made custom maps for, it is the first game I made custom 3D models for, so... don't kill me.

Enzo03 said:

Horrifying confession: I like Descent better than Doom and probably always will. It took up more of my childhood, it is the first game I played online, it is the first game I made custom maps for, it is the first game I made custom 3D models for, so... don't kill me.

Wow. I had a friend that... liked Descent. Other than that guy I've never heard of anyone who would even compare it to Doom. To me the pace was just too slow. I played deathmatch on PSX once with a friend and we basically just took turns killing each other. Guess I was just fortunate enough to have Doom come along at the perfect time in my life. :)

Another confession from moi: I only just, today, finished Doom 3.

BFG Edition adding a flashlight that can be used with any weapon was just what I wanted, fuck sneaking around - it's Doom.

Last quarter of the game was badass, going to try RoE soon.

I don't think I've ever made significant progress into doom3. dark, linear, not enough baddies, etc, common complaints from what I understand. Though I keep hearing that the later levels are better in that regard so maybe I'll pick it up again one of these days.

Later levels are still very linear, but less backtracking and more fighting mid/higher tier monsters. There was not enough Hell by a long shot, though.

For what it's worth, I thought Doom 3 was a betrayal of everything Doom stands for.

It was slow-paced, unvaried, boring and heavily scripted. One of the best things about the proper Doom is how you can play it a million times and every game will be different - especially on co-op or Deathmatch, which I gather were not even possible on D3 in the beginning.

So instead of a genre-defining classic, Doom 3 was an uninspired, soul-wearying trudge through maps called "Alpha Labs" (no "Sever the Wicked" and "Twilight Descends" here, why call maps things like "Against The Wickedly" when you can dumb it down to "Monorail"?). It was a cross between Resident Evil and Call of Duty, with the excellence and imagination of neither, plus crap weapons with quiet, unexciting sound effects.

Anyway, for a shorter confession: I like Nirvana from Doom 2. It's fun to play, it's different from nearly every other map in the game... Petersen made some of the best and all of the worst maps in Doom 2, but this was one of his better efforts. The acid room (or monster room as we used to call it) is fun.

Checking the date on my computer this morning I noticed it was the 15th, and the first thing that popped into my head was to keep an eye out for the secret exit.

Been playing this game too much.

Doom 3 was never made for the original Doom community anyway, just for the new players around that game generation.

MajorRawne said:

(no "Sever the Wicked" and "Twilight Descends" here)

Twilight Descends wasn't in any of the original two Dooms.

MajorRawne said:

For what it's worth, I thought Doom 3 was a betrayal of everything Doom stands for.

It was slow-paced, unvaried, boring and heavily scripted. One of the best things about the proper Doom is how you can play it a million times and every game will be different - especially on co-op or Deathmatch, which I gather were not even possible on D3 in the beginning.

So instead of a genre-defining classic, Doom 3 was an uninspired, soul-wearying trudge through maps called "Alpha Labs" (no "Sever the Wicked" and "Twilight Descends" here, why call maps things like "Against The Wickedly" when you can dumb it down to "Monorail"?). It was a cross between Resident Evil and Call of Duty, with the excellence and imagination of neither, plus crap weapons with quiet, unexciting sound effects.

Anyway, for a shorter confession: I like Nirvana from Doom 2. It's fun to play, it's different from nearly every other map in the game... Petersen made some of the best and all of the worst maps in Doom 2, but this was one of his better efforts. The acid room (or monster room as we used to call it) is fun.

x2 - Agreed on all points.

MajorRawne said:

I hate the rest of that map so much that I've completely disassociated that last room. Because that part IS fun.

BaronOfStuff said:

Mandatory crossing of damagesectors on maps that don't provide Radsuits (or any other protection) for crossing them make me rage.

Same, but the almost same or even more violent rage of mine definitely targets the unescapable damaging pits as well (E1M3, Plutonia MAP05, etc.)

Cell said:

Same, but the almost same or even more violent rage of mine definitely targets the unescapable damaging pits as well (E1M3, Plutonia MAP05, etc.)

MAP12 of Community Chest 3 last night took us 1:20 on coop. There's a long tunnel of nukage with 4 suits before it that we used up before we knew what they were for, and a pretty tough room at the end. With a vile. We'd get through the nukage with about 50 health and drop in to that room, maybe get a hit on the vile and die. Over and over. I'm just not a fan of mandatory nukage at all. Even with a suit, I don't want to be rushed. If you want to make a shortcut or hide some valuable items, let me decide if the risk is worth the reward.

Been playing Doom 2 on survival a lot lately, too. We're just good enough that if we had a bit more patience we could all make it through the whole game on UV without dying. Except 3 times in a row I fell in to pits on The Crusher that I couldn't get out of. I also fell in the pit at the end of Tricks and Traps but my buddy was able to get to the teleporter and finish before I died.

I agree that long crossings of nukage/etc are annoying, but short ones, puddles that you can cross without taking damage are ok, but if you're careless then they might do some damage. So basically, if player can see the other side of the nukage/etc it's ok. Otherwise I might just save before stepping into it, then explore the area and load if there wasn't anything interesting.

Complete lack of them is also a bit dumb too. Then it feels too easy.

qoncept said:

I hate the rest of that map so much that I've completely disassociated that last room. Because that part IS fun.

I guess I'll never understand why people don't like this map. It's not amazing, but then again it's not The Citadel or Unholy Cathedral.

Avoozl said:

Doom 3 was never made for the original Doom community anyway, just for the new players around that game generation.

Twilight Descends wasn't in any of the original two Dooms.

I see your point. Everything before Doom 3 counts as "Doom" for me in this context. I should have made that clear. Also, you kind of confirm what I said: Doom 3 was a sell-out. It's unfair to expect a company who always pushes boundaries to stick to what they did best but it's still disappointing that they haven't. Instead, they gave us Doom 3 and Quake 4.

MajorRawne said:

I guess I'll never understand why people don't like this map. It's not amazing, but then again it's not The Citadel or Unholy Cathedral.

You're right, those maps are worse than Nirvana. What I don't like about Nirvana (and Unholy Cathedral) are the teleporters. I get disoriented and I don't want to stop and think about where I'm going next.

From MAP19 to MAP28 Barrels o Fun is the only one I like.

I see your point. Everything before Doom 3 counts as "Doom" for me in this context. I should have made that clear. Also, you kind of confirm what I said: Doom 3 was a sell-out. It's unfair to expect a company who always pushes boundaries to stick to what they did best but it's still disappointing that they haven't. Instead, they gave us Doom 3 and Quake 4. [/B]

Quake never had any sort of identity like Doom, in my mind at least. I watched Quake Done Quickasaurus or whatever the latest is and it made me shutter to remember that awful game. The maps sucked, the monsters sucked, the sound was absolutely horrible and, as much as I love NIN, the music didn't fit. It actually played a lot like Descent.

qoncept said:

Wow. I had a friend that... liked Descent. Other than that guy I've never heard of anyone who would even compare it to Doom. To me the pace was just too slow. I played deathmatch on PSX once with a friend and we basically just took turns killing each other. Guess I was just fortunate enough to have Doom come along at the perfect time in my life. :)

Wait a minute:

PSX

Well while Descent definitely does have a slower, more sluggish feel to it, I'm extremely tempted to say "Well there's your problem!" because the PSX version runs at like 5 fps and sometimes slows down as much, maybe more than half the speed it runs on PC. Multiplayer on the PC and Mac versions is still pretty strong considering its age and greater obscurity thanks to source ports. Descent works for the pace it's meant for, like Doom. I'll also say that I've heard quite a few people simply wave off Descent as yet another obscure Doom clone.

I used to like Marathon better, and in some ways I still do what with the story and room-over-room ability (but no easily made bridges or balconies) among other things right out of the box, but Doom's far more fun.

MajorRawne said:

I see your point. Everything before Doom 3 counts as "Doom" for me in this context. I should have made that clear. Also, you kind of confirm what I said: Doom 3 was a sell-out. It's unfair to expect a company who always pushes boundaries to stick to what they did best but it's still disappointing that they haven't. Instead, they gave us Doom 3 and Quake 4.

And I'm not looking forward to Doom 4. :(

Enzo03 said:

Wait a minute:
Well while Descent definitely does have a slower, more sluggish feel to it, I'm extremely tempted to say "Well there's your problem!" because the PSX version runs at like 5 fps and sometimes slows down as much, maybe more than half the speed it runs on PC. Multiplayer on the PC and Mac versions is still pretty strong considering its age and greater obscurity thanks to source ports.

Huh. I played it on PC first but probably not very much, and never multiplayer. I get disoriented in Doom maps so Descent was probably never for me anyway.

I used to like Marathon better, and in some ways I still do what with the story and room-over-room ability (but no easily made bridges or balconies) among other things right out of the box, but Doom's far more fun.

I had a couple Mac buddies back in the day that were all about Marathon. I never played it and at this point it's surely too late. Pretty positive nothing will ever supplant Doom.

And I'm not looking forward to Doom 4. :( [/B]

I'm... I want to say cautiously optimistic but that's generous. Hopeful, I guess.

[QUOTE]MajorRawne said:
[B]
]

Hmm, interesting.. I always liked The Citadel and Unholy Cathedral, but not Nirvana so much.

Anyways I'll go ahead and state my favorite maps from the 4 episodes of Ultimate Doom (one per episode):
-E1M7
-E2M2
-E3M3
-E4M7

Maybe a weird selection, but I always found those four most fun in Ultimate Doom.

qoncept said:

MAP12 of Community Chest 3 last night took us 1:20 on coop. There's a long tunnel of nukage with 4 suits before it that we used up before we knew what they were for, and a pretty tough room at the end. With a vile. We'd get through the nukage with about 50 health and drop in to that room, maybe get a hit on the vile and die. Over and over. I'm just not a fan of mandatory nukage at all. Even with a suit, I don't want to be rushed. If you want to make a shortcut or hide some valuable items, let me decide if the risk is worth the reward.

Search no further than the IWADs, even Plutonia MAP28 has a similar thing in the main sewer area, where are actually like 6? 8? Radsuits in alcoves designed in uniformity.

Cell said:

Search no further than the IWADs, even Plutonia MAP28 has a similar thing in the main sewer area, where are actually like 6? 8? Radsuits in alcoves designed in uniformity.

I didn't like Plutonia. :P CC MAP12 was still a great map, just one part I really didn't like. Can't expect every part of every map to cater to me.

qoncept said:

I didn't like Plutonia. :P CC MAP12 was still a great map, just one part I really didn't like. Can't expect every part of every map to cater to me.

Sooner or later, one will persuade me to go play the CC series.

I found Plutonia to be abysmal crap: Chaingunner, Revenant and Hell Knight spam, with some dreadful maps that were long and boring. I respect that this is the minority opinion and I need to play it through again but I am not entirely sure my opinion will change. The PSX version of Final Doom got some of the better maps (from Master Levels and TNT) and this is my preferred version of Final Doom, with only a handful of Plutonia maps.

New confessions: while Nemesis and Mishri Halek from Alien Vendetta are undoubtedly two of the most amazing Doom maps of all time, their gameplay seems unnecessarily long and boring. Mishri Halek contains a number of areas it just doesn't need and gets you lost. Nemesis just goes on, and on, and on. Do we really need to explore the caves in the mountainside? Why not just have that fearsome E4 castle and a quick climb up to it?

DoomUK said:

Relinquish your deepest, darkest Doom-related sins and secrets and purify your spirit.

Well, WHERE THA F--K DO I START? Being on this site as well as any other d**m-related site is a sin, should I say IMO? OK! All the rest is even worse. I play do... OH I CAN'T SAY THAT WORD!!! I usually play do... WTF I REALLY CAN'T SAY!!! I'm gonna try to spell it, d, o, u, n. That's it Doun, no? Oh I can't say it! Oh never mind. See you later guys I'm gonna play doom right now.

OH I'VE JUST SAID IT!!! (T_T)

MarkAnthony89 said:

Well, WHERE THA F--K DO I START? Being on this site as well as any other d**m-related site is a sin, should I say IMO? OK! All the rest is even worse. I play do... OH I CAN'T SAY THAT WORD!!! I usually play do... WTF I REALLY CAN'T SAY!!! I'm gonna try to spell it, d, o, u, n. That's it Doun, no? Oh I can't say it! Oh never mind. See you later guys I'm gonna play doom right now.

Can I just point out, this forum is English language only :P

MarkAnthony89 said:

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

MarkAnthony89 said:

I think something's wrong with your religion. Here, you actually MUST play doom to be purified from anything.

Now, start the actual confession. Remember, when you eventually go to hell, your initial weapon set will depend of that!

Have a nice day!
the 3rd of the top sinners,
Scypek

I've used some custom sprites in my project. They're creeping me out so much that I'm reconsidering using them now.