Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

hellothere231 said:

Well, i've played them, but i've never beat them.

Then, take illegal actions!

I've never bought doom :_: I'M SORRRYYYY. Their physical copies are so expensive. I also don't buy mannnyy stteaam gamess. I still love you id. Even if I have to borrow Doom 4 when it comes out.

After episode one I hated the change in landscape the game didn't feel mysterious. I think why people don't play much of the original is how different it gets.

Doom2 is a bit more consistent.

hellothere231 said:

Nope.

I understand. You prefer getting practically ready to exploring how the end of the IWADs look like in advance. Well, my preference was vice versa at the age of 12, so I didn't give a shit to fair play. I didn't progress much up until these days either.

Yesterday, I've made part of the map (about 25 sectors and 3 actions) and everything worked at first try. That never happened to me before.

Scypek2 said:

Yesterday, I've made part of the map (about 25 sectors and 3 actions) and everything worked at first try. That never happened to me before.

Hah! I still do bloopers at my first saves, despite 4 years of mapping practice... eh... better have a dream about everything working fine :D Just kidding :D

Another confession: I really like to make prboom style maps for Doom, but sometimes I get so sidetracked. What usually happens is I'll be mapping nearly all of my free time for a good number of days, then I'll stop mapping for a while.. then I'll get back to it again. I guess I just get tired of it and take a break then come back to it.

I
must
confess...

Spoiler

"(...) Girl, yes, I wanna be your lover
Take a chance, my love is like no other
On the dancefloor getting down
Hold tight, I'll never let you down
My love is definitely the key
Like boyz ii men Im on bended knee
Loving you, not like your brother, aw yeah
I wanna be your lover"

(La Bouche: Be My Lover)

Now, seriously. I haven't made any serious confession since a certain period of time, but now I present how guilty I am: I've never used any of those PANEL textures during my mapping career which are actually overabudent in MAP12: The Factory. Now I wonder where I can live out all this lack of my life.

I must confess after two years of on and off mapping (mostly off than on though) I have never actually released anything. I don't know what it is but my motivation and most likely lack of ideas is probably what's done it.

Springy said:

I must confess after two years of on and off mapping (mostly off than on though) I have never actually released anything. I don't know what it is but my motivation and most likely lack of ideas is probably what's done it.

I have something similar with Wolf3D maps I make. I couldn't make anything that didn't get too mazelike or unintentional fake difficulty with hitscan bullet hell.
I just moved on to Multimedia Fusion 2 and am working on a platformer with NES-ish visual limitations. 8x8/8x16 sprites, 4 colors each sprite using the pallete I found on Wikipedia.

I just played doom 2 and hexen in zdoom. At once. Some parts of it were actually playable - with zombiemen, cacodemons and clusters of super shotguns. Maybe I'll try it again, but with doom2 as a PWAD.

Cell said:

I've never used any of those PANEL textures during my mapping career which are actually overabudent in MAP12: The Factory. Now I wonder where I can live out all this lack of my life.

But then, here we go, look at the bottom side of the shot:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1148206

I take failed concepts from terrible wads, recreate them in my now huge test wad, then fix them and later use them in my wads...

mrthejoshmon said:

I take failed concepts from terrible wads, recreate them in my now huge test wad, then fix them and later use them in my wads...

I actually find that rather interesting.. maybe taking an idea that failed and improving upon it to make it much better.. a lot of inventors do that. :)

doomdaniel95 said:

I actually find that rather interesting.. maybe taking an idea that failed and improving upon it to make it much better.. a lot of inventors do that. :)

thanks man, now I feel better about that one :)

I don't have my copy of the original DOOM and DOOM2 .exes, I just tote the IWADs around.
As a result my copy of DOOM2.WAD is stuck at 1.7a.

Orangestar said:

I don't have my copy of the original DOOM and DOOM2 .exes, I just tote the IWADs around.
As a result my copy of DOOM2.WAD is stuck at 1.7a.

I've got the CDs for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 lying around somewhere, but I also only ever really use the IWADs.

Also, I can vouch for being a "never beat an IWAD" guy:

Doom 2 gets awful partway through so I've never really bothered to beat it.
    I've gotten fairly far into Thy Flesh Consumed, but never beat it.
    Don't own Final Doom, so I've never had the chance to play it.
I have beat the other episodes of Ultimate Doom, though.

I think everyone should get a legal copy of some Doom game. They're actually not expensive.

Even the big box games and console ports only cost about $32. The Collector's Edition with Doom 95, Doom II 95 and Final Doom costs $16.

BFG Edition is $40 on Steam but only $24 in other stores and bidding starts at $0.99 on eBay. It contains Doom 1, 2 (+ No Rest for the Living), 3 (+ The Lost Missions) and Resurrection of Evil. The only reason I haven't bought it is because I strongly dislike Steam.
That's 77 classic levels plus Doom 3, The Lost Missions and Resurrection of Evil.

Doom Classic Complete is $20 on Steam and $15 on PSN. It contains Doom 1, 2, Final Doom and Master Levels.
That's 163 classic levels.

BFG Edition is available for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Classic Complete is for the PC and PS3.

Getting BFG Edition and Classic Complete for the PlayStation 3 at about $40 is an insanely good deal instead of just getting BFG Edition for the PC through Steam at the same price.

I also can't believe some players haven't played through all of the original levels. Aren't you afraid you've missed something? I can tell you one of the last Thy Flesh Consumed levels is among the best in the game.

DoomCollector said:

(words)

I've always been satisfied with the copies I snagged from Goodwill for four bucks. Only regret is that they're in leftover CD cases rather than proper boxes.

Speaking of that Goodwill, they actually had one of those shovelware packs, even in '08. Didn't have the chance to buy it, though.

I also can't believe some players haven't played through all of the original levels. Aren't you afraid you've missed something? I can tell you one of the last Thy Flesh Consumed levels is among the best in the game.

The latter half of Doom 2 is fairly meh aside from a handful of levels I've IDCLEVed to.

Thy Flesh Consumed past E4M3 is the bane of my existence. Still want to beat it eventually, though.

mrthejoshmon said:

Hell yeah! That was which your thread was made for! ;-)

Looks like we've got some upstarts in here! Never mind, for the newborn, everything is new :D

I played Doom and Doom 2 care free with cheats when I was 5 for about a year, left it until I was 14 then played it without cheats where I've never been more scared in my life thanks to the teleporting Cyberdemon in Map10 of Doom 2(Refueling base).

Also recently, played Doom 2 on the 360, Got to the last level on UV, and decided to start no rest for the living to check it out. My 1st save overwrote my progress on the main episode. Still to beat it on the 360.

I remember one time back when I sucked at even moving around at Doom I was playing with a friend.. and well, he was being mean. :P We went into the Refueling Base map and he told me to go into that room by the exit (where the cyberdemon teleports around), so I went in there and he woke up cybie. Suddenly this cyberdemon teleports in front of me (and I only have a pistol) and I'm like "HOLY CRAP!" ..so to say, I've had some pretty fun times. ;)

In ZDoom I have Buddha mode bound to "B" and idclip bound to "N." I use the former most of all - it's very useful for testing maps' difficulty, without the risk of having to start over, and gives me the ability to see how good the health item placement is.

Buddha mode, for those that don't know, is like Godmode lite: It allows you to take health and armour damage like normal, but stops you from losing the final 1% of health. I think Quake 2 had the same thing, if memory serves... Anyway, it's great.

Over the years I bought many different versions of Doom:
Doom on Floppy, Ultimate Doom on CD, Doom2 on CD, Doom Trilogy, Doom Collectors edition CD , Doom 3 etc.etc.
But I guess that's normal behaviour for a Doomboy and nothing that needs to be confessed.
I just wrote it down to show that I buy, what I like...

BUT...
I played a freeloaded non-steam-version of the BFG-Edition and I am proud of it.

schwerpunk said:

Buddha mode, for those that don't know, is like Godmode lite: It allows you to take health and armour damage like normal, but stops you from losing the final 1% of health. I think Quake 2 had the same thing, if memory serves... Anyway, it's great.

Quite useful as it sounds to be.

My latest confession: I downloaded the full three-episode Chex Quest and am quite enjoying it. You know, in lieu of it being really easy because it's designed for kids and all that.

I can't play Icon of sin maps, I just hate the concept of rocketing a hole a few times(even if it's sometimes more complex then the original design).

I prefer a new monster boss or just a strong enemy force to deal with.

Also I hate Archviles revenants combo, I've seen it way too much times and it's really annoying..