Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

SFoZ911 said:

I prefer a new monster boss or just a strong enemy force to deal with.

Some scripters have already made themselves into the arts of new bossfights. Check out, for example, KDiZD's end battle.

o E1M6 is my favourite level of all time, I've been playing since the game was released and I've still never beaten it on Nightmare. I must be a casual :D

...aaaaand I finished Chex Quest, just now. All three episodes. Challenge warms up a bit toward the end of Episode III, but still not quite up to Doom levels. I did enjoy what I played though, I think it's very charming. And that animated EpIII sky, huh?

I need more cartoon FPS in my life.

I confess that I'm currently burnt out of playing new vanilla limiting mega wads, they just feel stale to me now, I will probably make TNT2 the exception when it comes out though.

- I have finished Doom 2 from starting to end countless times in my life (at least 50 times).
- I save games very often when playing "seriously".
- Every time I reach MAP02 in Doom 2, I "align" the three troopers at the beginning and try to kill them with just one shotgun shot. I've never succeeded in Vanilla Doom, and I've succeeded several times in ZDoom.
- I don't play the game in Nightmare difficulty. I'm scared of it.

I confess that temporarily I'm fed up with listening to ripped Doom music.

- If I use the Super Shotgun and it has an odd number of ammo, I use the shotgun to waste a bullet and make ammo even (chaingun too)

- After I played through the IWADS twice, I got pretty bored of them, even on higher difficulties

- I only got past Hangar in Nightmare!

- If I'm too lazy to complete a level after spending a lot of time on it, I noclip the hell outta there

- Vanilla Doom render distance and non-mouselook annoys me. I can't use keyboard and mouse controls because the mouse makes the player move

The Doomist said:

- If I use the Super Shotgun and it has an odd number of ammo, I use the shotgun to waste a bullet and make ammo even (chaingun too)

Dammit, now I'm going to do it, too. Pretty clever, actually.

I play with Spawn with Shotgun and Double Ammo pickups enabled. And weapons don't stay so I can pick them up for more ammo.

The Doomist said:

- If I'm too lazy to complete a level after spending a lot of time on it, I noclip the hell outta there

Old mistake. I always loved challenge, even if it took me forever to get out a prolonged map (i.e. AV MAP25, MAP27, etc.), so the only thing I've done that if it was too late, I saved and quitted the game.

I've been using both Upper & Lower Unpegged flag on Doortraks, but it's only necessary to have the Lower. I've probably known about it for some years already, but I still do it. Somehow it doesn't feel like proper Doortrak if it doesn't have both... I wonder if I can break this habit.

Fernito said:

- Every time I reach MAP02 in Doom 2, I "align" the three troopers at the beginning and try to kill them with just one shotgun shot. I've never succeeded in Vanilla Doom, and I've succeeded several times in ZDoom.

I do exactly this as well, and also I do the same thing on map03 with these zombiemen:

I try and kill all of them with a single SSG blast. Only a couple of times ever have I succeeded, but mostly this happens:

Yeah. That lone survivor fired just as I took the second screenshot. Lousy punk. D:

I often play this in the area of MAP02 in which the SSG is actually found. Same for the exit and several parts of MAP04, but the best is to clear the MAP25 secret next to the frontal bloodfall itself in this way.

Similary to my previous confession, I'm scared when playing Doom 3, constantly f5ing it,(even right before an actual checkpoint in the bfg edition)

Also I've never completed Doom 3, or ROE, or the Lost Missions. Trying to correct that with the BFG edition.

I think I've been listening to D_RUNNIN for an hour non stop now... Suddenly I've noticed it's an awesome track!

Scottland89 said:

I've never completed Doom 3, or ROE, or the Lost Missions. Trying to correct that with the BFG edition.

I never played them at all until BFG edition. I will say, my favourite is RoE - Lost Mission is cool and all, but only about an hour and a half of gameplay in the end. I don't mind any of it; it's not the Doom I know and love, but it'll do. ;)

Memfis said:

Maybe you should come closer to them before shooting lol.

Just for argument, if you get too close, it doesn't work either, as you will miss one or two of the guys on the sides. The SSG stays pretty tight over short distances. :P

I'm terrible at mapping for different difficulties. There's a few differences here and there, but by and large everything I map is with UV in mind and fuck the rest.

I'm trying to sort this out, because 'Easy' is supposed to be, well, easy. Not a trivially-easier UV clusterfuckfest.

BaronOfStuff said:

I'm terrible at mapping for different difficulties. There's a few differences here and there, but by and large everything I map is with UV in mind and fuck the rest.

I'm trying to sort this out, because 'Easy' is supposed to be, well, easy. Not a trivially-easier UV clusterfuckfest.

Same I'm far to lazy to implement difficulties in an interesting manner. Ok I delete some monsters and perhaps upgrade powerups and ammo in places but I rarely test this and just assume the lower difficulties will be easier.

I was never a big fan of the hell levels in Doom 1, or most any hell maps in general. There are a few made by players that aren't completely puke to my senses, but overall, I find them dull, and there's nothing fun about plugging a pack of hell monsters with a shotgun for five minutes while I slowly strafe left and right. I play it, because it's part of the game, but I find it to be overkill. i guess it's appropriate to call them hell levels. That's where I feel I am. There, that's off my chest.

Lippeth said:

I was never a big fan of the hell levels in Doom 1, or most any hell maps in general. There are a few made by players that aren't completely puke to my senses, but overall, I find them dull, and there's nothing fun about plugging a pack of hell monsters with a shotgun for five minutes while I slowly strafe left and right. I play it, because it's part of the game, but I find it to be overkill. i guess it's appropriate to call them hell levels. That's where I feel I am. There, that's off my chest.

I'm the same way. I enjoy some of the aesthetics when they're at least coherent, but the visuals are usually messy and the gameplay is so different from how I typically enjoy Doom (from E1 to E2). I really feel like Doom, as a game, is not as well optimized as it could be for most Hell levels. It seems like we should have all new weapons, from pistol to BFG, for these levels.

Opinion: I think that Doom 3 did Hell best out of any of the Doom games.

schwerpunk said:

Opinion: I think that Doom 3 did Hell best out of any of the Doom games.

Agreed. I actually felt anxiety as to what came next, and those out of place, slow humanoid things made me feel legitimately uneasy. Plus the beginning scripted part was awesome. The best part about it was that you eventually went back into the tech base setting. The only setting in Doom 3 I wasn't the most excited for was the cave area.

???
There are hell maps with pretty much any type of gameplay. Talking generally about gameplay in hell levels is ridiculous.

It's the overall palette that does it for me. It's just so, red. And sometimes they add green bricks, and I feel like I should be standing under mistletoe. I don't hate it so much that I don't play it, it's still Doom, but because I love it so much, I notice things that bother me. Fanboy problems, I guess.

In a pathetic effort to change my hacked IWAD into PWAD, I once created a PWAD full of empty map headers.