Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

BloodyAcid said:

My first map was called "FIRST" in DB2, so it never loaded up. I reinstalled DB2 because I made a [dumb].

Haha, I think everyone makes that mistake when first fooling around with Doom Builder - oh it wants a map name, hmm, time to be creative! Ahhh, to be (more of) a nub again... :)

BloodyAcid said:

I've been reading id's name literally as the letters (Eye-Dee) instead of "id" as in "bid." I only realized after watching an interview with John...Romero. For the longest time ID as in ID Card was how I thought of it.

Me too, know that feel

SandGator said:

I like the idea of Doomguy jamming an Arch-vile's severed head into a keyhole.

Make it appear in the next Brutal Doom!

Cell said:

Make it appear in the next Brutal Doom!

would break gameplay, but maybe a chance to spawn an archvile with dispatchable head in place of YK on higher difficulties?

Also prying invisiblity spheres out of pain elemental's eyesockets.

Scypek2 said:

would break gameplay, but maybe a chance to spawn an archvile with dispatchable head in place of YK on higher difficulties?

Also prying invisiblity spheres out of pain elemental's eyesockets.

Hey, good one! I hadn't noted the similarity before...

If already on OFFtopic for a while, I would suggest HKs and Barons to be able to do "kittacular" on Revenants. Or, if not possible, only the Marine to do so.

Bloody Acid said:

I've been reading id's name literally as the letters (Eye-Dee) instead of "id" as in "bid." I only realized after watching an interview with John...Romero. For the longest time ID as in ID Card was how I thought of it.

I've known this since a couple of years after Doom first came out, but I still can't bring myself to pronounce it as id as in bid so I still pronounce it as eye-dee.

I always thought it was ID as in ID card, id as it is just sounds silly to me. :P

Yeah, I've got to chime in with the "id"/"I.D." confusion. I thought it was the latter until I discovered it was pronounced as "id", or knew what it meant.

Not really a confession as such, but you see these blue pixels:

For some reason, they annoy me. This texture reminds me of those piss-poor custom textures you'd see in some old PWADs, which weren't optimised for the the Doom palette, or fixed-up when it was applied. Lazy bastards.

_bruce_ said:

id as in Freudian id.
This was quite the revelation for me.

Makes sense why Romero left in that case, as he had quite the ego.

BaronOfStuff said:

Not really a confession as such, but you see these blue pixels:
http://imageshack.us/a/img820/2465/bluepixels.png
For some reason, they annoy me. This texture reminds me of those piss-poor custom textures you'd see in some old PWADs, which weren't optimised for the the Doom palette, or fixed-up when it was applied. Lazy bastards.

I don't see them.

I thought id was I.D. for a while, and (unrelated) it took me years to realize Dynamix wasn't pronounced "dyna-mix."

You forgot to retag that image as a url, qoncept. Also, here's a red circle around the offending pixels. I noticed this myself just recently, as I make extensive use of this texture in my detention centre map (wip).

Although I part ways with BOS when it comes to my opinion of this texture. I find it attractive, and almost as importantly, versatile. The dark-edged 'pipes' are perfect for jiggering around when trying to align sidedefs on non-standard length lines.

_bruce_ said:

id as in Freudian id.
This was quite the revelation for me.

'As in' yes but not the origin of the name, that hails back to JR's D&D days with a group of mercenary soldiers called 'In Demand' or as he shortened it to 'Id'

Vandoom said:

'As in' yes but not the origin of the name, that hails back to JR's D&D days with a group of mercenary soldiers called 'In Demand' or as he shortened it to 'Id'

Interesting!

qoncept, mind explaining where the hell these blue pixels are? I always thought it was a perfectly fine texture.

I can see them, they're dark blue so I can understand it might be hard to see on certain moniters perhaps.

BaronOfStuff said:

This texture reminds me of those piss-poor custom textures you'd see in some old PWADs...

It's just a couple of fairly dark, hard to distinguish pixels.

Bit of a unfair comparison. Bad textures are usually a result of poor pallet conversion, usually due to not initially being designed for the Doom pallet.

With all my Doom experience, mastery of all official classic Doom games, and so forth, I managed to make Military Base in the PSX version utterly unwinnable by using up all the health before the nukage pit by the exit. I dont know HOW this happened, but I WAS playing with the monsters and guns set to the original PC speeds, courtesy of Spooky Fox.

Ragnor said:

With all my Doom experience, mastery of all official classic Doom games, and so forth, I managed to make Military Base in the PSX version utterly unwinnable by using up all the health before the nukage pit by the exit. I dont know HOW this happened, but I WAS playing with the monsters and guns set to the original PC speeds, courtesy of Spooky Fox.

I'd be quite curious, too, how you managed!

I guess I failed to take into account how much more dangerous everything is when not slowed by the PSX version's behaviour.

Got to that nukage ring by the exit with 15% health and was shocked to find I had sucked THAT badly.

Ragnor said:

not slowed by the PSX version's behaviour.

Oh yeah, typical. Once I reinstalled Pinball Fantasies onto my computer under XP, only to find out it was lagging so hard a wounded snail would've been keeping ahead faster. But it was teh thing I could actually take advantage of! No nasty "lightstrobe-fast sinking methods" just to keep my nerve system in ruins all day long (I was like 11-12 those days).

Six said:

It's just a couple of fairly dark, hard to distinguish pixels.

Bit of a unfair comparison. Bad textures are usually a result of poor pallet conversion, usually due to not initially being designed for the Doom pallet.

Oh, I'm not directly comparing or saying it's as bad as those shitty custom textures at all. The presence of the blue pixels just reminds me of them.

Back to the subject, i first played PSX doom and when i played the PC version i was expecting enemies in ultimate doom in the PSX placement also i thought i had done doom 3 on the first xbox, little did i know how much i missed / forgot when i played the PC version. "i have no memory of this place"

Sometimes I stop on a level of doom 2 iwad and come to conclusion that it's more detailed than some of my levels.

Scypek2: Really?...

Salahmander2 said:

I use a BFG on a sole zombieman.

Sometimes it happens to me as well. After a heavy massacre including nearly all type of monsters that have more HP than Demons, it feels so dull to change back. Maybe still, as a precautionary measure, should I carry the Big Freakin' Gun avec moi.

Salahmander2 said:

I use a BFG on a sole zombieman.

One of my "guilty pleasures" when playing Doom 2 is killing all the zombiemen inside the computer area map room in map 19 with a single BFG shot.