Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

If you go right up to a pain elemental's face and stand in front of it, every time it tries to spew out a lost soul, the lost soul will just explode without harming you. This makes them very easy to punch out, or just to kill in general if you have any weapon and are standing right in front of their faces.

I will say that they are annoying, though, to be sure. However I find arachnotrons far more annoying. Let's say I've just had some TERRIBLE experiences with them on Gatekeeper levels...

Also, I find 1monster MAP10 (the pain elemental map) very fun. I think the mapper did an excellent job designing it, and weapons, ammo, and monster placement are fair, so you (at least I) don't go, "Ughhhh got nothing good with which I can battle these guys." In fact, I like pretty much every map in 1monster (my fav megawad) except MAP20 (only because revs get really annoying there). However, it's still nicely designed. I tend to take map design more into considering when judging a map rather than monster/ammo usage/placement.

BloodyAcid said:

I dislike alot of the brick textures in Doom 2 as well. It leads to a downfall as a mapper, but I can't see myself using textures like BRICK11/12 or FLAT8 properly. Even for a brown techbase, there are better alternatives.

I only like brick10 (the green one) because of the way it fits with some of the other textures I do like. Compared to Doom I see some of the Doom 2 textures sort of Anti-Doom, but it's only a point of view and too much to confess for today XD.

Patch93 said:

I think Pain Elementals have got to be the some of the worst enemies in a video game ever fucking conceived. They have a completely unappealing design and are annoying as fuck with their constant puking of Lost Souls. They're even worse in Doom 64! Everytime I see one of those sons of bitches and hear their stupid sight noise I seriously want to punch one right in the god damn face because they are fucking punks

They are almost the only thing that makes me use the plasmagun.

doomdaniel95 said:

If you go right up to a pain elemental's face and stand in front of it, every time it tries to spew out a lost soul, the lost soul will just explode without harming you. This makes them very easy to punch out, or just to kill in general if you have any weapon and are standing right in front of their faces.

What about with -fast parameter enabled? That would make them really annoying to go up to their face as they won't stop firing.

I will say that they are annoying, though, to be sure. However I find arachnotrons far more annoying. Let's say I've just had some TERRIBLE experiences with them on Gatekeeper levels...

Interesting, I always thought mancubi were far more annoying than arachnotrons, especially with multiples of them in a wide open arena without a hiding spot, as with multiple fireballs in a large spread can be difficult to dodge. Arachnotrons aren't really hard to deal with myself, unless I picked up an invisibility beforehand.

joe-ilya said:

I hate HD doom mods.
'Cuz I like the pixels in doom.

(Not a Doom Confession, but for the same reason, I particularly hate the HD version of DN3D.)

I downloaded SlaughterFest 2012. There goes my slaughtermap virginity.

Also, I had like 82 shells and picked up a box of them earlier, wasting 2. I felt terrible.

Jayextee said:

Also, I had like 82 shells and picked up a box of them earlier, wasting 2. I felt terrible.

The moment I feel the instant urge to smash my head into something.
Usually on ZDoom - here comes my confession - I do make myself "get back" the "wasted" ammunition via command lines (e.g. if the aforementioned case with 82->100 is on, I do an SSG shot on a nearby enemy, having 98 now, then type "Give shell/shellbox" - depending on the "loss"). No matter how unethical it is, I want what I deserve!!

Sometimes I tell myself:

"let's pretend I never got hit by that fireball", and then command give myself a medkit.

I've always found "Waiting for Romero To Play" more relaxing than creepy for some reason. Although it does start to sound more suspicious towards the end of the loop. Either way I think it's cool and it's my favorite song in Doom 2, aside from Shawn's Got The Shotgun and Into Sandy's City.

I was also dissapointed to see that the City maps in Doom 2 didn't look like a post apocalyptic city. Don't get me wrong, they're fun to play through but where are all the overturned vehicles and dead civilians?

Also, not a Doom confession but it is id related, I've always hated killing the dogs in Wolfenstein 3D, mostly due to the fact that I am an animal lover and German Shepherds happen to be one of my favorite breeds of dog. And in the 3DO/Mac version it's even worse because of that tear-jerking whimper they make when they die. Though i'd much rather have that than those retarded mutant rats in the lackluster SNES port. I also felt a little bit of remorse for the brown soldiers since alot of German soldiers towards the end of WWII were secretly starting to lose faith in Hitler and the Nazi clause and just wanted to go home. (This is historically true btw.) Obviously not the other enemies besides the ground troops of course though, the S.S. were always faithful to the Nazi clause no matter what.

I also can't help but smile whenever the Schutzstaffels scream "MEIN LEBEN!" everytime they die or when I hear Hans Große yell "GUTEN TAG". Though I'm sure most Wolfers do the same. :P

Benata said:

I called all of zandronum players fags.

I still do.

Cool story bro. Tell it again.

Hurricyclone said:

What about with -fast parameter enabled? That would make them really annoying to go up to their face as they won't stop firing.

If they've already made tons of lost souls, then that's when they're more annoying, and -fast just amplifies that. However, if you just scared one up, and can get to its face before it can make any lost souls (even possibly trap it so it can't move), then it won't make much of a difference on -fast. I've done this before on Doom 2 MAP09 and Doom 2 MAP17 (The Pit and Tenements respectively), and it was very nice not having pain elementals spew lost souls at me using that trick.

Hurricyclone said:

Interesting, I always thought mancubi were far more annoying than arachnotrons, especially with multiples of them in a wide open arena without a hiding spot, as with multiple fireballs in a large spread can be difficult to dodge. Arachnotrons aren't really hard to deal with myself, unless I picked up an invisibility beforehand.

Mainly my trouble comes when it's one of those levels where you have to ride the stupid elevator up and shoot the gatekeeper in the brain from the proper height. If an arachnotron spawns, it usually shoots me off the elevator and I have to kill it and ride up the elevator again. I also find it annoying how when they start firing, there's no pause unless you can hide behind something or stun them with a shot from a weapon. I rarely find mancubi annoying, but that's because they're my favorite monster and I laugh at their funky behavior a lot (same with revenants unless the map just has way too many of them).

I hate that trend mappers seem to have nowadays with adding 10 or more revenants in one room as a monster closet.

Avoozl said:

I hate that trend mappers seem to have nowadays with adding 10 or more revenants in one room as a monster closet.

I think that's been going on ever since Plutonia was released lol. I mean, Plutonia isn't as bad with the revenants, but in some maps it certainly feels like quite a few, especially in multiplayer and higher skill levels (UV).

Avoozl said:

Well, that trend kind of started back in 1994 when Sandy Petersen made that monster closet in Doom 2's MAP28 with 8 revenants on it :P

There weren't that many DOOM II maps made in 1994. One monster closet in one room in one map doesn't constitute a trend. You could point at a lot of stuff that defines 1994, like strange geometry, chaotic texturing, gratuitous placement of cyber/spiderdemons, etc. Those kinds of things happened enough you could label them as a trend.

And I personally don't recall regularly stumbling into such encounters over the next couple years either. You could play the classic megawads again (njdoom, Requiem, MM, MM2, Icarus) and take notes, but I doubt you'll find many such instances.

I don't know when exactly the super-mega-hard gameplay started getting popular, but it must have been after those few early years. HR is from 1997, and that was a pretty big deal back then. These days nobody seems to blink an eye at that level of difficulty though. Well, it's not really my kind of gameplay. I never even tried to finish that megawad (or for that matter even Plutonia).

"Icon of Sin" and all its clones suck donkey dick, and I'd sooner idclip to meet The Romero in person rather than ride YET ANOTHER lift up and down to aim rockets into YET ANOTHER tiny hole.

I hate cyberdemons. Fending them off (especially several at once) isn't a challenge, it's tedious.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

"Icon of Sin" and all its clones suck donkey dick, and I'd sooner idclip to meet The Romero in person rather than ride YET ANOTHER lift up and down to aim rockets into YET ANOTHER tiny hole.

The Icon level in Doom 2 The Way id Did isn't really like this. Sure, you gotta get the rocket in the tiny hole; but that's where the similarities stop.

I thought it was great. Is that my confession? Probably.

hex11 said:

There weren't that many DOOM II maps made in 1994. One monster closet in one room in one map doesn't constitute a trend. You could point at a lot of stuff that defines 1994, like strange geometry, chaotic texturing, gratuitous placement of cyber/spiderdemons, etc. Those kinds of things happened enough you could label them as a trend.

And I personally don't recall regularly stumbling into such encounters over the next couple years either. You could play the classic megawads again (njdoom, Requiem, MM, MM2, Icarus) and take notes, but I doubt you'll find many such instances.

LOL, seems like someone didn't understand a joke :P

Platinum Shell said:

I can no longer hear the imp's roaming sound as anything but "Jeff fall for it".

When I was little I thought the Imp's roaming sound in PSX Doom was "I'm gonna get him".

Speaking of it, when I was a little boy I hadn't realized that imp's roaming sound was so, and I thought it was some kind of toad/frog's croak ambience sound instead (I didn't know Doom didn't have ambience sounds by the time).

The day I came to the conclusion that that "froggy" sound was actually imp's roaming sound, I was playing Doom2's MAP15. I was in the final, normal exit room and there was an intense croaking sound, but after I killed all the imps in the cages, the "frogs" went all silent LOL.

I remember thinking something similar the first time I played. I thought the noise was due to the nukage, an assumption I think I made from E1M3.

Has anyone put ambient sounds into a PWAD? Should be doable even in vanilla with new sounds and dehacked.

purist said:

Has anyone put ambient sounds into a PWAD? Should be doable even in vanilla with new sounds and dehacked.

One of the first wads I ever played, Area 51 had some siren sounds done without DeHackEd. Not too hard to figure out how they were done, but I thought it was creative and clever.

A variant on this with invisible, non-moving, non-shootable 'enemies' could work with different sounds via DeHackEd.

This week's confession:

I love episode 1 and all, I really do. Knee Deep in the I Can't Play This Shit Enough.

But, I don't really see it as interlocking and nonlinear as I'm told it is. If anything, more levels adhere to "quite linear but with really large optional segments" than anything.

Not really a confession but I wish it was possible to have a seperate pain sound in ZDoom whenever you get the ouch face. Something like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114986671/DSPLOUCH.wav

Sadly however, I don't think this is possible without hard ACS coding... :/

Also, I recently tried No Rest for The Living, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, I like the E1-style it has going for it. It's just such a shame that the only way to obtain it legally is to buy an inferior re-release of a game you already own that has censored secret levels in Doom 2 and those stupid pills on medkits. >:(

I think I might be getting tired of Doom, but it might be the vanilla styled megawads that are making me bored of it now.

OK, let's see...

-I NEVER play with music on. Never. If a wad includes custom music, I listen to it the first time I play, and then I never turn it on again. It doesn't matter how good/innovative it is, I think it kills the atmosphere, IMHO.
-I didn't know Perdition's Gate was a commercial release. I downloaded it for free like 10 years ago, and it wasn't until I read it here in the forums like a year ago that I was aware of that, and that it was really rare. I was shocked.
-I don't like Total Conversions. I didn't like Batman Doom, Aliens TC, Hell to Pay, etc., and I usually delete them as soon as possible. I like my shotgun, I like my demons, they are perfect as they are. Don't touch them :)
-Related to the first one, I don't like custom sounds, with a few exceptions (like Eternal Doom).
-I prefer TNT over Plutonia.
-I played Doom II like 7 or 8 years before playing the first one. And I prefer the first one.
-I used to play nothing but megawads. I never downloaded anything with less than 32 levels until like a year ago. And guess what? Now I rarely play megawads (but still love them).
-I used to play with mouselook and jumping enabled in zDoom. I don't remember when I stopped mouselooking and jumping, but I prefer it that way now.
-I've never play deathmatch or cooperative.

That's it for now. Some pretty big ones here, I think.

Zed said:

-I don't like Total Conversions. I didn't like Batman Doom, Aliens TC, Hell to Pay, etc., and I usually delete them as soon as possible. I like my shotgun, I like my demons, they are perfect as they are. Don't touch them :)

All kinds of 'tude

Hell to Pay was good IMO but they shouldn't have reskinned the monsters. That was just stupid and pointless.

Also I don't like the look of the UAC logos in Perdition's Gate, they look fugly and look like something made from the 1980's. Why didn't they just use the stock UAC logo textures from the IWAD is far beyond me.

As a kid, I didn't know about health numbers, so I used the Doomguy's face on the status bar as an indication of whether I was on the verge of dying or not.

I would go into panic mode when I saw the face that you see when your health is in between 20 and 39% (that has the doomguy bleeding out of both nostrils). I didn't know what could restore health, and I'd just walk around hoping the Doomguy's face would change, looking less bloddy.