Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Jayextee said:

My latest confession is that I've been playing Icarus: Alien Vanguard. No, that's not the confession. The confession is, that I haven't really been enjoying it much, if at all.

I only liked map11 map28 and map29.

Revved said:

I always found DSPDIEHI (the weird "BAWK" noise you make when you die from heavy damage) to be probably the most hilarious noise I've ever heard.

Lol, same. For whatever reason I think all of the Doomguy's screaming noises are funny. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a deranged psychopath sociopath. It just sounds kinda unnatural to me, so I laugh. :P

That's hard to read. I'd suggest giving it a run but I don't think it will really have any effect on you if you've already desensitized yourself by playing Doom 2 with other wads. I feel bad bro.

Revved said:

I always found DSPDIEHI (the weird "BAWK" noise you make when you die from heavy damage) to be probably the most hilarious noise I've ever heard.

For this apparent reason, now I find both the "BAWK" scream and this post extremely funny :D

40oz said:

That's hard to read. I'd suggest giving it a run but I don't think it will really have any effect on you if you've already desensitized yourself by playing Doom 2 with other wads. I feel bad bro.

I keep getting like 3/4 of the way through.

I don't use autorun. Actually it's not a "legit" option in vanilla, it's really a config file hack - not much different than jamming the Shift key with a coin or other small object. Anyway, I mostly walk around and try to minimize running as much as possible. The walking speed in DOOM is quite fast, and running around constantly feels ridiculous to me. I tend to play more defensively. It feels more "natural" to me.

I occasionally find Doom 2 ridiculously tough when playing only on HMP difficulty.

MFG38 said:

I occasionally find Doom 2 ridiculously tough when playing only on HMP difficulty.

I only think doom 2 as ridiculously tough when I play it on "nightmare!"

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I admit that I have a habit of always using autorun... And in vanilla, I keep holding the shift key.

I always use autorun in prboom/gzdoom. Since in prboom I use keyboard only, it just feels more nautral to me since that way I can keep my finger on the control (fire) key. I've also made the right shift key my strafe (temporary SR50) key. However I really only use SR50 for jumps that require it.

Piper Maru said:

I confess that I prefer the walking speed, and only use run when in trouble or need to "jump" onto another ledge.

Playing MAP02 the first time, I thought it was impossible, because I couldn't make it into the "window" from the concrete ledge at normal speed.

In Doom 64, when I was a kid, I thought there was a lineage between the Hell Knight, Baron of Hell, and the Cyberdemon. A Hell Knight would grow into a Baron of Hell and a Baron of Hell would eventually grow into a Cyberdemon.

Cell said:

Playing MAP02 the first time, I thought it was impossible, because I couldn't make it into the "window" from the concrete ledge at normal speed.

I remember before I knew how to straferun (just SR40, not SR50), I thought MAP31 of Alien Vendetta was impossible because I could never make it to the BSK with just general running.

I never played any console versions. The closest was using the DOS v1.2 to play Jaguar Doom TC. Apparently the Jaguar port was based on 1.2 (and so were Heretic and Doom 3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari).

I actually don't have any interest in the more advanced engines/ports. But I'd like to check out the GBA and SNES stuff someday.

I admit that I have a habit of always using autorun... And in vanilla, I keep holding the shift key.

I don't use autorun because I always keep holding the shift key, unless entering a new area, and with autorun I have to do it in the reverse way which I can't get used to.

peach freak said:

In Doom 64, when I was a kid, I thought there was a lineage between the Hell Knight, Baron of Hell, and the Cyberdemon. A Hell Knight would grow into a Baron of Hell and a Baron of Hell would eventually grow into a Cyberdemon.

haha, a friend from my primary school used to think that cows and horses were female and male of the same species respectively. btw When I was a kid I thought that the roar of the zombiemen and sargeants walking around the level were the agitated breathing of the doomplayer..

I like most of the Zandronum mods. Especially GvH and Zdoomwars (but I find it more fun to spectate a Zdoomwars than to actually play it)

joyb_speed 29.
Use it.

I absolutely fucking loathe the obnoxiously loud and unnecessarily long DSSECRET sound that's used in ports such as ZDoom. Why the fuck a sound like this even exists at all is beyond comprehension.

BaronOfStuff said:

I absolutely fucking loathe the obnoxiously loud and unnecessarily long DSSECRET sound that's used in ports such as ZDoom. Why the fuck a sound like this even exists at all is beyond comprehension.

Fucking word Deimos. I usually just end up nulling it out in my autoload WAD.

BaronOfStuff said:

I agree. I think a more eerie, quieter, desolate sound would be more appropriate for Doom's atmosphere, but I don't know if such one exists.

Patch93 said:

Fucking word Deimos. I usually just end up nulling it out in my autoload WAD.

Same here, with the exception of Zandronum. That gets a replacement sound.

Platinum Shell said:

I think a more eerie, quieter, desolate sound would be more appropriate for Doom's atmosphere, but I don't know if such one exists.

I find that the equivalent sounds from Quake and Quake II work just fine. Now that you've mentioned it though, I'll attempt to make something new, as you described.

Cool, post it here if you do wind up making it because I'm interested.

I didn't know how mis-aligned the guns were originally...glad I've got the fix wad in my autoload.

here's a doom confession: I love finding modified Knee-deep levels on old shovelware CDs and playing them through to completion, usually while laughing.

also I can type IDBEHOLDA in under half a second

yakfak said:

I can type IDBEHOLDA in under half a second

I've never used IDBEHOLDA in fear of my entire automap getting erased after turning the cheat off (Duke3D's DNSHOWMAP cheat used to do that and I always thought Doom has this glitch too) but I've mastered typing IDSPISPOPD very quickly.